Diabetes and Pre diabetes Chat For Spring 2022

You're on Page 31 of 33
Go to
  • No I haven't had any problems getting on but when I send it seems to take a while to for it to go through some times.

Talk about crazy cravings. I got hungry tonight for lettuce of all things. Who in the world craves romaine lettuce. LOL
  • Trish, romaine is my favorite but DH only likes iceberg. I often crave broccoli. I made baked cauliflower and cheese to try it but I didn't like it. Too much cheese. I followed a,recipe for a larger quantity and cut it down. I guess I didn't cut it down enough. DH ate it but didn't comment.

I got on the scale this morning and weight has gone up 3 days in a row. I am .6 lb away from weighing 190 again. Yikes! I think it is from the sodium in the stuffed cabbage. Do something, Carol!

I have to start getting ready for my appointment. I'm nervous about it and I don't know why.

Appointment went fine. Weight was 191.5. Ouch! Its always higher later in the day and fully clothed. He doesn't care. It doesn't change much. Just the usual. Blood pressure, pulse-ox, lungs, feet. I don't go back until December. Another chance to make improvements.
  • Carol Sue, Glad your doc's appt went well. Mine doesn't ever say much about my weight either. He will either tell me I'm doing very well and answer my questions and move one. I figure tht he is going to be so proud of DH A1c this time that he won't be that interested in what I'm doing especially since I'm basically maintaining everything.
    Don't know if I will say much about my back and knee as he knows I have issues with it from time to time. I could get some sort of prescription for pain but I really don't want to start taking them. DH has them that I can use, but I usually forget he has them plus I don't like the way I feel taking them.
    Weight is still 182. I thought it was going to be back in the 181 range around 181.6 because it bounced around there and then landed on 182. I can only hope it will come back down soon.
    Not much happening here. Still trying to cut back on coffee. Drinking one now with liquid stevia only in it, becaue I 've decided I want have a clean fast hoping to get a little bit of autophagy going with my fasts. Shooting for a 19 to 20 hr fast today. I haven't eat since 7:30 pm yesterday. My FBG has been 104 to 105 this week. I would really love to see those 90s again, but not sure I want it bad enough to go as low carb as I would need to.
    Carol Sue, I realized recently that I always mess up my diet within a month or so before going to see my doctor. I don't know why I do that, but I am really trying to stay OP this time. I am in a rut with what I'm eating etc, but if I can at least maintain this summer, just maybe I won't have any gains before I go see him. Then I should be fine after I see him.

I want to finish reading this book and then read The Maker's Diet which has been revised. We are partners with TBN and they send us free books from time to time and I got that book as a gift from them this month. I have the original. I saw the author Jordan Rubin on TBN this week and he was talking about the new book and how he learned to eat from reading the way God told the Jews to eat. I don't want to give up pork and I can't raise all my food but it was interesting. I think the healthiest I was although still overweight was when DH#2 .and I lived in the country when our kids were young. We only raised chickens and turkey etc, no big animals and gardened. DH followed the Bible way of farming which is what this young man did. He had crohons disease and was not supposed to live, but God had another plan for him. I look forward to reading it.

You can relax now and get back to working on your plan. You have till December to do it.

Have a nice day everybody.

• I ended up with 1014 calories and 50 net carbs today 2 meals within 5 hr eating window. So it was a good day. Might try the alternate day of 2 meals if I can. Will see how it goes.
  • It sounds like you did well today, Trish. I am going to try something new. Years ago when the girls at work used to get pizza on Fridays I would only order it if I had lost 5 lbs since the last I got it. I want to try it again. Not exactly sure how I will do it, but it will be 5 lb increments. I have to get this weight moving again.

Its only 58 degrees this morning. DH opened the door and put the screen in. There's a nice cool breeze blowing in. It feels good. The high is only going to be 70. It feels like fall.

I was up later than usual. Fitbit says I fell asleep at 1am and slept thru til 6 am with no wake ups for the bathroom. I didn't get enough sleep, though, but going to bed later might help me stay asleep. I'm hoping that once I get back to formal exercise I will sleep better.

​​​​​.

• Carol Sue, I learned a lot from the book we just read and I am using it to help me figure out my own way of dieting which I am sure you are too. I have had little tricks/treats along the way that helps me stay OP which I don't want to change at this time so I am not going to be changing a whole lot. I have given up the creamer in my coffee, but I don't want to give up my keto ice cream bar I eat after dinner. I think it is good to learn the research on all these things, but then we need to take what applies to us and make up our own plan. We have Hubbys to take into consideration etc so whatever we can do to make weight loss work for us has to fit into our lifestyle. It goes back to what SC doc told me "Any diet will work as long as you can live with it". That is what I am working toward.

I really appreciate what I have learned from The Obesity Fix. Today my weight is 181.8, but I know that today's main meal will be high in sodium and include whole wheat pizza dough. So tomorrow it will probably be up a bit again tommorw which means I'm maintaining. From what this book has taught me this is a very good thing because my body is setting a new level that it is adjusting to so that if he is right, I have less chance of gaining back all the weight I've lost.

Not switching to alternate days calorie/carb woe at this time. I've suddenly settled into 2MAD so I will stick with that for awhile. Mostly I've been doing one actual meal around 3 or 4 pm and then a Protein shake later in the evening to keep a 4 or 5 eating window. Don't know how long this will last, but will go with it for as long as it lasts. I think the hot weather making it easier to drink iced drinks helps with satiety so that I don't get hungry. I figure take advantage of it while it is working this way.

Have a nice day everybody.
  • Trish, I think what you're doing is great. I felt that you were losing well before when you were using the protein shakes. They work for you. I remember years back, maybe in the 80s the Slim Fast shakes were popular. Their ad said have a shake for breakfast and one for lunch then eat a normal dinner. I never tried it but this is similar to what you're doing.

I don't think we will gain our weight back either because we have changed the way we eat and are losing slowly. The weight I gained this week is the biggest gain I've had in a long time and its only 4-5 lbs. I will get it back off.

Today we went to Walmart. It was a madhouse. Crowded, partly because of Saturday and part because of Fathers Day. Everyone must be having a cook out. It was early but we went to Bob Evans at 3. I had a half sandwich, grilled turkey bacon, with a cup of soup. It was a small dinner but very tasty and I will do that again. I didn't track but I will to see how much I ate today. Dr D says to eat until you are 80% full so i'm doing that. I got hungry early today so i ate in an 8 hour window but my meals were small. At Wal-Mart I had a box of Triscuits in my hand and I put it back. If I buy them I will eat them. I don't need them. I was proud of myself.
  • Carol Sue, I love it when I put something in my cart and stop and think I don't want that because I could eat the whole thing in one sitting. When I get chips to eat with my McDs burger, I get a small pkg which is really more of 2 maybe 2 and 1/2 serving because that is the smallest I can find. I know that I will have the problem of wanting the whole bag before the day is over. So I just figure it in my calories and move on.

I don't think we will gain our weight back either. If you remember that last month I kind of went through what you are right now. You will get that off and will start losing again. I believe we both will.

I remember years ago watching this guy on a cooking channel and talked a lot about dieting. He said follow a 80%/20% diet. His idea was different from Dr. D in that he said 80% healthy and 20% other. I remember reading that in IE book too.
  • Weight is down to 188.4 so I'm happy. I know the bump up is due to the sodium in the crappy eating I was doing. I don't know why I do that around the time of my doctors appointments but I know I'm not the only one. It's stress eating I think. That's no excuse, but it's the explanation Now to work on getting it down further.

I am on my PC instead of my tablet and I still had trouble logging into this site. I click on the thread and I get a blank screen, and it takes a long time to come up. So it's not just my tablet.

We always have chips and other salty snacks in the house. DH buys them. I eat some sometimes but it's not a big thing for me. I don't like salty things, so I just eat a little bit now and then. Also, he likes flavored ones, like sour cream and onion, and when I do eat them, I only like plain. I used to eat a lot more back when I bought French Onion Dip because the dip camouflaged the taste of the salt, but now I don't even like that anymore. My tastes have finally changed toward more healthy eating.

I guess my step children are coming over today. They never tell us ahead of time, and for mother's day they just showed up without calling. DH doesn't want them to come but they do anyway. I have some frozen pizza to cook if/when they come. They come around lunch time and we don't usually eat lunch. They will go to her parents for dinner, and her mother will cook a gourmet meal. Yum! I don't cook fancy like that. .

Yesterday my DIL turned 50. She really doesn't look 50 at all. Young, thin and blonde. Oh, to be 50 again!

I'm trying to learn how to poach chicken for chicken salad. I can never get the chicken right. I want it to be like the breast of a rotisserie chicken. Mine is either too done or not done enough. Today I think its been cooking long enough but the temperature won't come up. I'll figure it out sooner or later.
  • Carol Sue, The only problem I'm having on this site is when I hit submit, it seems to take a lot longer than it used to. Also some times, I do get a blank page when I come to this thread but it seems to just be slow as it does finally come on. I still lose posts, (lost 2 yesterday before I got one done) but I think that is my fault. I have had problem ever since I got this pc and I've never learned exactly what button I hit that causes that. So I can't blame that on 3fc. Oh another problem I have sometimes on 3fc is when I try to start a new for paragraph, it doesn't type what I am typing. It is almost like someone else is typing for me.

​​​​I am not surprised that your weight is lower because I figured it was sodium. The sad thing I find for me is it comes down slowly. I don't know if the ACV helps with weight or bs, but I read it helps keep with keeping the edema in check. I've stopped using fluid pills and just drink ACV in the morning and also have a drink with it later in the day. I'm also drinking lemon water once a day. I would much rather do things naturally rather than with a pill. I want to get rid of supplements that I can get in food and just take what I need. I think I'm going to have to go lower carb and if I do, I will keep the B complex because I won't be eating the grains like bread where it is added.

I let DH pick this beef roast and it is one that doesn't fall apart the way we like it. Funny thing is DH#2 loved his roast cooked this way because that is how his Mother cooked it and I could never keep mine from falling apart. LOL This was a nice pretty one and not expensive and didn't pay attention to the cut. We may get 2 meals or a meal and I could have it in place of the shake

I don't think I've ever heard of poached chicken. I will have to look that up. I want to get a whole natural chicken without antibiotics and cook it like a roasted chicken in the air-fryer and then use it to make bone broth. I will have to look for that when we go to the store Tuesday.

My weight stayed the same which is a reall accomplishment after eating pizza with all the sodium and higher calories and carbs. Calories yesterday was 1224 and net carbs 73. The only thing was that FBG was 112, but I really think that was from getting up late and missed my low reading. DH is still have reading below 120 so that is great.

Hope everybody has a great Sunday.
  • Trsh, poaching is cooking slowly in water that is barely simmering. I did it wrong again. I boiled the water then turned it down then put the chicken breast in. Then I read the directions and it said to put the chicken in COLD water then heat it just to boiling then turn it down to barely simmering. So now I cooled the chicken but it might still be rubbery.

I ate some pizza that I made for our company and it gave me indigestion. I guess my body doesn't like pizza any more. I don't want anything else to eat today but DH does. But he doesn't know what he wants.

My DIL went to see her Dad and step son and grandson came here. My DGS is as tall as I am now. He was on the honor roll for 7th grade and going to 8 th grade in the fall. Time flies. I remember when he was a toddler. Seems like last year.

My Step Son was telling me that his wife, my DIL has lasting effects from when she had Covid in Decembef/January. She has started to regain her sense of taste and smell but she can no longer stand the taste or smell of chicken, eggs, or tuna. DGS has no lasting effects but the neighbor lady does, too. She is close friends of theirs. DGS contracted it first then passed it to his mother and the neighbor. Both were vaccinated but not DGS..
    ​​​​​

• Well, it is after 10 pm and I managed to eat only one meal. I fudged on my tracking to show calories to be over 1000 but my net carbs were 52. Now to make it till 3 pm tomorrow. Just taking this one day at a time.

Carol Sue, all my kids, grandkids and neices and nephews are taller than me. So amazing that some of these boys are now 6' tall. They grow up so fast.

I have heard that people lost their taste and smell after covid. I haven't asked my sister if she and DBIL ever gpt their's back or not.

Here's hoping for a good nights sleep without pain and thanking God for a successful day.
  • Many people lose their sense of taste and smell but get it back. Its weird that my DIL can't eat foods that she liked so much before. What would I do if I couldn't eat eggs or chicken!?

Even though I ate that cheap crappy pizza, way over on carbs, I'm down .4 to 188. I think its because it gave me indigestion and I didn't feel good to eat dinner. DH ate a baked potato and I had a small piece. He made one for me, too,but I didn't feel like eating a whole one myself. He told me the reason he makes 2 is in case he cuts into one and its bad inside.

That was at 5 am. I got on the scale again at 8 AM and I'm down another .6 so 1 lb total.

I have a suggestion for your pain. Read up about Turmeric/curcumin with Pepperine. I took the capsules for my foot pain before I tested for gout and it worked great. I took it for a while before it started to work then I had to stop taking it when they put me on Plavix. It is not something you just take when you get pain. It has to build up. It fights inflammation. It is a spice. I know you are trying to stop supplements but this is an alternative to pain meds.

BBL

​​​​​​

• Carol Sue, happy for your 1 lb down. I am up .4 lb and wonder what would have happened if I had eat 2 meals. Maybe it was the gravy with the bread. Who knows?

Thanks telling me about the Turmeric/curcumin with Pepperine. I took Turmeric/curcumin before and had to stop it for some reason, I don't remember why, but it didn't have Pepperine. I will read up on it.

Well today I am going to make my exercise cleaning. I need to take my refrigerator drawers out and wash them. This is a task for me then will decide whether to use the bike or try some new exercise.

• Trish, the pepperine is black pepper and it is said to be necessary for absorption. The first one I bought didn't have it so I took it with a meal and put black pepper on my food. That was suggested. I hope you can remember why you stopped taking it. It might have been a,side effect.

I was actually shocked to see the drop in my weight but we have learned recently that its not about calories. It seems that its hormone fluctuations.