July 2021 Ups and Downs of Depression Thread

• We are a small but mighty group of friends who support each other thru the Ups and Downs of depression. Post as little or as much as you like.
  • (Cheryl's post from yesterday)

Quote: Holly, I wasn't clear - it is current work that I am not interested in - retirement I am looking forward to. Allison's karate camp definitely involves other activities. They go swimming daily and yesterday they visited some ice caves. She thought they were air conditioned! I said no, they are naturally cool. She said "That makes sense. There were no outlets to plug in air conditioners". She is a hoot.
    My knees are never happy! However, they hurt more standing still than when I am moving so I try to keep moving when I can't sit.
    I can't really work with tension in my environment every day. I have left jobs because of this. I hope things get better for you there.
  • Oh I see, I didn't read / comprehend properly, very glad you are looking forward to retirement!

cool activities (literally , LOL) for your granddaughter! that was funny about the a/c

Our heat wave (only 3 days of 90+) finally broke and it is a blessed 62 and rainy now. Kinda gloomy but I'll take it. I am working in the dining room again tonight, I thought we had amassed enough new help but they are still inexperienced and we have 70 reservations so it helps to have an experienced person helping. If its cool and rainy all day it won't feel so hard.

Hi Kathleen, Hi Tree!! and Hi to our members whom we haven't seen in a while, Lisa and Pat

I know I told of being so self conscious of my arms that I just could not wear short sleeved shirts. Well the horrible hot weather took care of that, it still is so hard for me.

The tension at work has lessened, until the next episode But truly it is mind over matter, right? It doesn't involve me, it is just going on around me.

have a good day my friends!
  • Hello, Happy Fourth of July to my friends! Just another workday for me, an especially big workload, as my one day off a week is Monday, and I have to prepare enough for today and tomorrow if I want off. I kinda hate that but I guess it's my job security, no one else in the kitchen here knows how to bake.

Blew up at the breakfast 'chef' yesterday, he keeps forgetting (third or fourth time; I have even started writing and taping notes on all the items!) to tell the waitstaff to put out my breakfast pastries for service. It makes me feel that I am invisible and then my items are a day old and I throw them out. He apologized but that means nothing to me. I blew up in front of the head chef, he witnesses it but it is not a big deal to him. I am really angry and bitter about it.

one more thing to vent, a new waitstaff person (more my age than all the young'uns) said to me the other night "i see you're hiding a limp, or is that how you walk?" I swear my hands were balling up into fists to punch him. How rude is that?? But my stupid life-long desire to please, to not say anything to upset someone else, kicked in and I just said 'yeah my knees hurt,, always". I'm just really full of anger I guess.
  • hello. im kind of new here on these boards. depression seems to be one one of the main reasons i am overeating. i seem to have such a negative outlook on life. this negative outlook is the main cause of emotional overeating. i am going to get moving on taking my meds, getting some daily movement in and staying on my plan.
  • lisaward4: I'm sorry to hear that you have a negative outlook on life and that it is causing you to emotionally overeat. Have you ever tried a gratitude journal? If you write down (or just think about) 3-5 things that you are grateful for on a consistent basis, it can help you to shift your mindset to focus on the positives in your life. It can be something very simple and basic, like having a warm (or cool) home to live in... or being grateful for a loved one. Just an idea that has helped me a lot in the past. I like writing the things I am grateful for in a journal. Then, I can look back on them when I am struggling and be reminded of all of the things I have to be thankful for. I'm thankful that you posted here.
  • Holly: I am so sorry that the new waitstaff person said that terribly insensitive comment about "how you walk!" 😡 That is SO incredibly rude!!! I cannot believe that a grown man would think it was okay to comment on the way another adult (or any person for that matter) walks! I also don't blame you for being angry and bitter about the breakfast chef forgetting to tell the waitstaff to put your breakfast pastries out. What a waste of your time and effort to bake all of those pastries and then have to throw them out! That is terrible! What is going on at that place?!?
  • THE FOLLOWING WAS POSTED BY TREE AT THE END OF THE JUNE 2021 THREAD:

"Hi to all from Oz.

Life is fair to middling but as with all of us, just got to keep on pressing.

H's foot is a lot better but his general diagnosis for any mobility improvement is dire. Won't bore you though. It is what it is and just got to battle on best we can. A tiny bit of help is about to trickle in. Sometimes I wonder if all the pre assessments and phone calls and paper work is worth the hassle though.

Winter is approaching here. Because our country is barely vaccinated (about 5% fully) another covid outbreak looks to be looming. Our state had a patch and is now going OK but the rest of the country is showing some troubling movement with the new Delta variant.
    Isn't it so hard to think of life before Covid? When there weren't lockdowns and masks and people getting sick and politicians constantly arguing about vaccine roll outs and such. Very tiresome!

OK just reporting in quickly to say hello and I hope you may get some sunshine over there soon "

Hello Tree! I just wrote a long post to you on my phone and, when I hit "submit," there was an error, and I lost my post. That is so frustrating! Anyway, I was saying that I always enjoy hearing from you. I am happy to hear that your husband's foot is a lot better, but I'm so sorry that his general diagnosis for any mobility improvement is not good. I hope that maybe you will be pleasantly surprised and get more help than you are expecting. 🙏

I am sorry that your country is still in the midst of the battle with COVID. It IS hard to imagine life before COVID, as you said. Even with things somewhat returning to "normal" with many in Ohio being fully vaccinated (especially those most vulnerable), I think we are going to have to settle for a "new normal" from this point forward.

We have had plenty of sunshine and very warm temperatures in Ohio recently. I am enjoying every minute of it! I don't know a thing about the seasons in Australia. Are your winters harsh? How long does winter last there? What is your favorite season? Have you lived there all of your life? So many questions... lol! I am very intrigued by your country! Would love to visit someday... but not in the winter!

Please take good care of yourself, Tree, while you are also the caretaker! You matter!

• Just stopping in to say hello to everyone!

I am pretty sure I told you that my 22-year-old daughter has been taking driving lessons. She has Spina Bifida, so she has to drive with hand controls, which makes learning a bit more of a challenge. Well, about a month ago, she passed the maneuverability portion of her driver's test but failed the on-road portion at the last minute. She was crushed and SO down on herself. She didn't want to try again. But, with much prodding and encouragement from many people, she completed the 4 hours of online training she needed and went back for another in-car session last week. She has another in-car session this coming Wednesday and then she will take the on-road test again on Thursday. Please send her prayers and/or positive vibes or anything else that could possibly help her!!! I am SO hoping and praying that she passes this time! She has worked so hard for it.

How are all of you doing? It has been very quiet in the group the past couple of months. We are still missing Lisa and Pat very much, and I am hoping we will hear from them again at some point. Haven't forgotten Coop and our other past friends, either! I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy! 💙

• Hello friends!!
    Hello! first an apology to lisaward4, it is always so nice to see someone new here and I meant to comment right away but didn't. but it is good to see you here. I hope you are feeling any better? Oh gosh a negative outlook can affect us so much!! I hope you were able to do your plan of being on your meds, getting movement and staying on plan? we care

Tree Oh wow I am so sorry about the bad news about DH's mobility how sad for him AND YOU. You can vent here if needed!! you are very brave and a great partner to him. I am bummed for you about winter approaching. Like Kathleen I know little of your weather/seasons,and don't know what you are facing. but sad for you losing summer. And not good news about Covid for your country. Have you been able to be vaccinated yet? I do love that you are a regular here take care of yourself, Tree x!

Hi Kathleen!! I am immediately sending good vibes to your dear daughter and cheering her on for success in her driving test this Thursday! I will be thinking of her that day! It must be scary and she must be nervous but she is so strong and committed and she learned the controls of the car, I am sure she can do it! best wishes. Im glad you are enjoying every minute of summer, hope you are able to do lots of time at the lake house and enjoying your pups and family! is your son doing well also?? i hope so. I also hope your anxiety is any better, have you found a new therapist? that in itself is hard and then trying to find out if it's a good match. you are such a lovely caring person, I want the best for you!

Haha, you are right about my work, 'what the heck is going on with that place'. I did blow up at that cook and he apologized and hasn't done it again. We are SO VERY short staffed, because of Covid we do not have our usual 5-6 in-house international workers, they were our lifeline for covering all waitstaff, housekeeping and dishwashing shifts. We have a skeleton crew of mostly young kids (17-21) and they are fine kids but they are KIDS. And they will all be leaving the end of August!! I am already filling in for the Dining Room 2x a week and I was just asked to cover a breakfast shift or two. I don't want to, I think I can only commit to one shift, and that is only due to wanting to be a good team player. I'm 60 freakin years old, shouldn't life be getting easier, lol.

I tripped and fell HARD at work last Wednesday...I was hustling to get a mop to a dishwashing area flood. I struck the ground in four places, my lip/wrist/right chest (boob)/and knee. My supervisor insisted I go the ER to be x rayed and I agreed. Good news, nothing broken or fractured and I credit many years of consistent exercise in keeping me tough . But lots of bruises . And the knee X ray showed degenerative arthritis. So that's why my knees hurt. I made an Ortho appt but it's not til Oct 1.

so that's my life LOL . thanks for listening !
  • Hi, thinking of my friends here! Kathleen how did your daughter do on the driving?

nothing new here except my Ortho appt was changed to 3 weeks later, ugh, the 3rd week of October.

Warm and humid summer for us and lots of showers which has kept me from riding my motorcycle hardly at all, boo. But my flowers look great.

Thinking hard about not returning to the Club job next year, as the manager lady said she was not returning and I don't know how it will be run without her. Also searching for my winter gig.

Hope to hear from you all no pressure, just miss ya!
  • Holly: I'm so very sorry about your fall at work!!! That's terrible! Thank God nothing was broken, thanks to your years of faithful exercise. I'm sorry about your bruising, though. Are you in pain? I hope you are feeling a bit better by now. Sorry to hear about the degenerative arthritis in your knee(s). Is it in both knees? At least now you know why you have been dealing with all of that pain. I'm glad you have an appointment scheduled with Ortho. Too bad it had to be pushed back. Gosh, I hope you won't have to have knee replacements... although, I have to tell you, after suffering with terrible hip pain for over 3 years, I am so happy that I finally had a hip replacement. I only wish they had identified the problem quicker so that I had done it sooner. That hip is pain-free now. It is pretty amazing! I'm keeping you and your knees in my prayers. 🙏

Thank you so much for your interest in and support for my daughter. She PASSED her driver's test this time around! Woohoo!!! She was so excited to get her driver's license! I am so happy for her and proud of her for being persistent and not giving up. We are looking into small to mid size SUVs that she can put her walker into the hatchback without folding it down (for safety and convenience), which we will have equipped with hand controls for her.

Thank you for asking about my son, too. He earned his Bachelor's degree in Psychology last December. Now, he is going for his Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. He just finished his first semester and did really well! I'm very proud of him! 💙

My anxiety might be a little better, but it just depends on what I have going on in any given week or if I have an event I am dreading. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it. I will have one anxious thought and then I have anxiety/pain in my stomach for the rest of the day. I am trying to identify when that happens and use the Klonopin I am prescribed for just such occasions. It does help to take the edge off. I did get a referral for a marital counselor who might be a good candidate for an individual therapist as well, but I have not made any phone calls or appointments yet. But I am glad to at least have a referral from someone I trust for when I am ready to take the leap.

Good luck on your decision about whether or not to return to the Club job next summer. How long have you worked there? For as long as I can remember. I would imagine that would be a difficult decision. Do you have any ideas about what you want to do for winter employment? I know you will work hard and be successful wherever you go!

Hello to all of our other friends! It is so hard to believe that tomorrow will be August! I do NOT want summer to end!!!