May 2021 Ups & Downs Support Group Thread

• Quote: Welcome! We are a small but mighty group of friends who support each other through our Ups and Downs of life. Please join and know you are not alone.

Hello to Kathleen, Pat, Tree, Lisa, Coop if you're out there! would love to hear from all of you

May Day, and we have snow flurries! which is actually not crazy for Vermont but I still don't like it, lol. The only good thing about this everlasting cold weather is that my daffodils out there still look fresh and new.

I had my second Moderna shot on Wednesday, and on Thursday afternoon, I did feel awful for the late afternoon/evening but was 100% all better on Friday morning.

I was at the summer job place 2 days last week, it is kind of a shambles, with not being open last year, and we don't have our usual guy who would start the early kitchen clean up. Well I will do as much as I can.

I am still very anxious about having to source 2 cars for us ... i turn in my leased Subaru next month and we found out our old Windstar will not pass inspection. It is hard enough finding a good used car, but 2?! I need a miracle.

Still chugging along with working out and doing the knee exercises which are SO boring and some are hard and awkward which probably means they are good for me
    Holly: I made a new May thread and included your post because you accidentally titled the thread "April 2021." I hope you don't mind. Thank you for starting the new thread.

If you have time, could you please post a link to this thread on the other one you started? I don't know how. I hope I'm not making this too confusing. I don't think we can edit thread titles, can we? Please let me know the easiest way to do this. Thanks!
  • Thank you Kathleen for catching that! We will use this one as our May thread I posted the link there to here. Thank you ! You are perfectly 'tech wise'

We have had days and days of rain; yesterday the sun shone and it was so great. I've been doing only half days at work so I had time to come home and weed-whack and mow for the first time. It always looks so nice afterwards! I do need a new spool of line for the whacker and I would like a new push mower for Mother's Day I wanted to have coffee outside now and enjoy but as its 30 degrees :eek I will drink it inside.

We are still searching for car(s). It is such a gamble buying a used car isn't it! Especially in a region (New England) where the salt used all winter corrodes the frame and brake lines and unless you have the car up on a lift you don't know what is going on under there.

I stopped the phone talks with the nutritionist. and you will laugh at me ( I know you won't) She was trying to instill more kindness in me ("you wouldn't let your friend feel hungry just because they were restricting calories, would you") and I was responding by allowing myself to have more of the things that I usually withhold. It just doesn't work for me, that way. Ugh. I try so hard to accept myself as I am yet I am so self conscious about wearing a short sleeved shirt! ugh again , lol.

would love to hear from others!!
  • Holly: Thank you for posting the link to this thread in the other one. I think we are good to go now.

Ughh! It seems that you either have a lot of snow or a lot of rain. I'm glad you finally had some sunshine and you got the chance to get outside and mow and weedwhack. I know you take great pride in your yard, which I really admire. I hope you get a new push mower for Mother's Day!

That will be quite a challenge to find two good, reliable, reasonably priced used cars... but I have faith in you, Holly. You can do it! Is there any specific make or type of cars that you are looking for? Please keep us updated on your search.

As interesting as I thought your sessions with the nutritionist were, I think you were wise to stop the sessions if you found her advice to be counter-productive. You know yourself and what works for you the best. I sure hear you on trying to accept yourself as you are but being self-conscious at the same time. That's pretty much the story of my adult life!

We are now coming up to the lake every weekend, and trying to do long weekends whenever possible... so I play catch up on everything at home during often short weeks. I truly do not mean to complain at all, because I know we are so incredibly blessed to have this wonderful lake house. And having a place like this to come to for the weekends makes more stressful weeks at home worth it.

Anyway, my daughter will be 22 at the end of the month but is just now taking driving lessons. We have to go to a special place for them because she needs hand controls. So that has become my latest project. She is extremely anxious about driving and, from the sounds of how the hand controls operate, I don't blame her. She said that you press the lever forward to stop and pull it back to go. It sounds so confusing to me. I just hope she sticks with it. She wants to learn to finally drive to be more independent, which I think is great.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that my son (25) is starting grad school on May 17th. His Undergrad degree is in Psychology and the graduate program is Clinical Mental Health Counseling. He has had his own struggles with depression and anxiety, so he really wants to help others with similar issues.

I had been maintaining my weight for about a year now (still wanting to lose 15-20 pounds), but when I went for a recent follow-up treatment after breast cancer, I did NOT like the number on the scale! I am up about 5-7 pounds and I can feel it in my jeans. I have also had an increased appetite lately, so I'm not sure what is going on, but I need to get control of myself before it gets out of hand. Ughh! Weight loss is a constant battle!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms and pet moms out there! ❤

I hope and pray so much that Pat and Lisa are okay! 🙏

Hello to Tree!
  • Well thank you for posting out your hello's - I must have heard you.

Having a tough time at the moment with my H having badly hurt his foot after a very seemingly inconsequential fall. Poor thing he is bruised all around and underneath the toes and can't put any weight on it. Well he is not a light man by any stretch and as he no longer has the strength to use crutches I am having to transport him via walker or wheelchair to toilet, shower, table to eat....bit of a stressful nightmare for me trying to make sure he doesn't fall whilst I am helping him, he really cannot help himself at all.

So.. that will be my mothers day tomorrow...

my 2 youngest grand daughters (via their parents) sent me some beautiful flowers today. I am really so on edge and finding no space for myself that I cried, the little message on the card was so beautiful.

OK, enough whining from me. Breathe, one hour at a time, one day at a time...

Kathleen and Holly, it is so hard to see ourselves as others really see us. My family don't have any idea what the scales "say" or care and if I wore a short sleeved t-shirt they wouldn't bat an eye. Why is it we are so self conscious and hard on ourselves?

Have a good Mothers day all and keep on keeping on...hope to get back again sooner or later... thanks for the "call out" I appreciate it

Your Aussie friend Tree x
  • Tree: It is so good to hear from you! I'm so sorry that your husband hurt his foot badly after a fall. That's terrible! Wow, now there is even more added stress on you. Just what you didn't need! I wish there was some way we could help lighten your load. I guess on a positive note for weight loss, it sure sounds like you are getting quite a workout helping him get around.

That is so sweet and thoughtful that your granddaughters sent you flowers. ❤ You deserve some recognition and pampering!

Yes, one day at a time... one hour at a time. And breathe. Thank you for that reminder. Why is something so basic so easy to forget?

You ask a great question about why we are so self-conscious and so hard on ourselves. As they say, would we treat our best friend that way? No! So why do we treat ourselves that way? We need to be our own best friend. ❤

Hang in there, Tree! Sending you prayers, strength, and a big hug!

Hello to Holly, Pat, & Lisa! Still keeping you in my prayers, Pat. Hope all is well. 🙏
  • Hello friends!

Tree - oh my gosh I am so sorry to hear about husband's fall and how you need to help/assist him with everything, I know it's bad for him but a huge burden for you. I can imagine that you were so on edge that when you received the flowers from your grandchildren you cried. You are a wonderful strong person and we are sending you strength!

Kathleen that is so great that your son is entering graduate school! and that he wants to help others with what he struggled with. what a fine person. Best wishes to your daughter also, that does sound confusing with the driving controls, hope she 'gets it' and feels confident soon! It is super that you have the lake house but I can imagine that it is difficult to get all the things done that you need.

Sending out good thoughts to Pat and Lisa!!

I have been back at the Club part time, about 4 hours a day, trying to get used to working again Wish I could keep 4 hours a day, that's just right and then come home and have energy for here, but I have got to steel myself for long days. I am worried about my knee(s), I have been doing the strengthening exercises but still have to take pain relievers.

I appreciate the talk we have about accepting ourselves and not being ashamed, I am still really REALLY self conscious about my upper arms, and there is no real reason except from years of being self conscious. No one has called me "fat" to my face for 50 years but the sting is still there.

Had a nice Mother's Day, our older son came over; our younger son and g/f could not make it but will this Sunday.
  • Hello friends, well back at work with a vengeance, I've been doing 12 hour days ! first in the kitchen then in the dining room. and it is HOT! we just got over winter only recently, we are not used to mid to high 80's already.

My knees hurt so much I've been relying on motrin, as many as i can take without getting dizzy.

just keeping in touch and hope to hear from others i care about you very much.
  • Holly: 12 hour days sound brutal! I'm so sorry your knees hurt so much. That is terrible! I hope the Motrin brings you some relief and I also hope the strengthening exercises will help. Do you still have the time and energy for the strengthening exercises while working such long hours? How many days do you work there? I am glad you are back doing the work that you love, but I am worried about you overdoing it. Please try to take good care of yourself!
  • Hi Kathleen thank goodness those first 3 days are over, they are always tough, and it was HOT here!! and I had to 'check' myself about keeping track of the Advils I was gobbling; I did not take any on Friday because I was worried and toughed it out; then on Sat and Sunday I had shorter days and did not need to take any at all.

I haven't had time to do the knee strengtheners; in fact I did my normal cardio/strength on Tuesday morning and did not do another one until yesterday. Will do my best to get back to the routine.

I haven't weighed myself in a month because I'm just afraid of getting discouraged and sad.

But trying to fake it til I make it!

• Hang in there good friends.

My H ending up having foot fractures so it is still slow to woe here but a gradual improvement. It has forced me to look at sourcing some help for he and I both though getting assessed for any sort of help is a painful process too.

Winter is approaching. We have been in another short Covid lockdown - worse for my family in the city area.

One day at a time.

Holly maybe just chuck the scales away? (says she who weighs every morning!!) I have a son and daughter in law who don't own scales and they are slim and healthy (and probably healthier mentally for not having to constantly alternate moods depending on what that inanimate object tells them!)

Keep well and as happy as can be everyone. Keep plugging....

Love Tree x
  • tree x - I copied your post above and placed it at our June thread

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dep...ml#post5435082