Who the Heck Knows? Maintainers Chat for 2021

You're on Page 4 of 16
Go to
  • Must be time to check in here!

Dagmar, I hope you're doing better. As you know, I gave up drinking years ago. It's nice not to have to think about that on top of everything else. Ha!

I've lost interest in many things. It's hard even to get out for a walk, and yet this is the most beautiful time of year for it. "Discipline" no longer works for me.

Well, I guess I'll get dressed and see what it's like outside. Maybe that will change my mind.
  • JayEll, I hope your walk got you energized. We don't drink either.

I am trying to make progress on placing my neighbor's salukis, although he doesn't know it yet. The dog poop in the kennels hasn't been picked up for over 2 months, and twice he has left two of the dogs without water for several days in a row. (I give them water in a feed pan if he doesn't fill the bucket, but I am not willing to pick up poop because I want his neglect of the dogs obvious when I give him the ultimatum to place them.) In early April I will take the oldest female to New Mexico, to a woman who has said all along that she will take her. I also contacted a saluki rescue who is working on foster homes for the others. It's something I dread doing, but I am going to tell John that either he consent to place the dogs or I will stop helping him. Since he is basically house-bound with me getting him groceries, prescriptions, mail, etc, there is no way he can continue to live there without help. He is miles from a real town and too frail even to take the dial-a-ride. If necessary, I would call Adult Protective Services. It is causing me great stress, but ethically I can no longer enable his keeping these poor dogs. I walk the two old ones almost every day, but the three young ones simply sit in the filthy kennel. It's been over 2 years now.
  • Quote: JayEll, I hope your walk got you energized. We don't drink either.

I am trying to make progress on placing my neighbor's salukis, although he doesn't know it yet. The dog poop in the kennels hasn't been picked up for over 2 months, and twice he has left two of the dogs without water for several days in a row. (I give them water in a feed pan if he doesn't fill the bucket, but I am not willing to pick up poop because I want his neglect of the dogs obvious when I give him the ultimatum to place them.) In early April I will take the oldest female to New Mexico, to a woman who has said all along that she will take her. I also contacted a saluki rescue who is working on foster homes for the others. It's something I dread doing, but I am going to tell John that either he consent to place the dogs or I will stop helping him. Since he is basically house-bound with me getting him groceries, prescriptions, mail, etc, there is no way he can continue to live there without help. He is miles from a real town and too frail even to take the dial-a-ride. If necessary, I would call Adult Protective Services. It is causing me great stress, but ethically I can no longer enable his keeping these poor dogs. I walk the two old ones almost every day, but the three young ones simply sit in the filthy kennel. It's been over 2 years now.
    That's such a sad situation Alice. For everyone involved. I hope you can convince your neighbour to accept help for himself and to let his dogs go to homes where they can receive adequate care.

I have decided to accept that I'm feeling pretty shitty right now. A lot of people seem to be in the same boat. And, since I've accepted it, I decided to do an extra weight workout this week.

I'm going to try to roll with things right now. That's about all the plan I can manage right now and that's fine.

Dagmar
  • Alice, I hope you can approach him in a non-confrontive way. Just point out that he can't care for them, and you can't, either. Be on his side while advocating for better homes for the dogs. Be careful about it, because technically they are his property. I hope you don't have to get law enforcement involved. Maybe your local humane society or SPCA or animal rescue group will have ideas. But the dogs are being mistreated for sure.

Dagmar, yeah, everyone feels pretty crappy--at least everyone I know. I'm making cleaning a project because I've been letting certain aspects of that go too long.

My partner is looking into a short trip away for us. I think she's noticed that I'm jumping out of my skin! We'll stay in-state, and it won't be until April because of commitments I have, but it's something to look forward to. Just a drive up the coast a ways, stay at a place we know that has kitchenettes.
  • JayEll I hope you can get away for a bit. I think that's what's making me - not having options. I'm really looking forward to a half day at a gallery featuring Canadian art. They are coming out of lockdown next week. No idea when Toronto will follow but I'll be ready to purchase tickets when we do. Also hoping to go to the zoo in April. Surely our lockdown will have ended by then.

Toronto has been locked down for over 2 months now. I think we are all about to go bonkers unless they ease up a bit. I'm not advocating a free for all but people have to have a few options, aside from going for endless walks.

Dagmar
  • How's it going out there?

Lately tuna salad is a go-to meal for us, once or twice a week. My partner uses a lot of celery in it, which I love. Yes, there is mayo, plus some salsa. Healthy stuff! We have it with toast.

Hard to believe it's March again. Keeping track of time was hard enough before the disruption caused by the pandemic.
  • I'm trying to get my head into the game again to lose the 10 lbs. I've put on over the past year. So hard since our vaccination program for COVID is non-existent in this province and we probably now won't receive the proper dosage either. The government is holding back the second shot to give more people the first one. Science behind it? NAH! Just an experiment with the mass population.

I am truly sick and tired of this mess. So hard to do anything when you know you can't go anywhere or do anything probably for yet another year of life. I'm in my 60's - I don't have that much time left. I'm just angry and tired all the time now.

Dagmar
  • Hope those pounds are not hard to lose, Dagmar. Why is gaining so darn easy?

The Saluki rescue is supposed to call me back after they discuss my neighbor's situation and come up with a plan One of their group knows him very well. The woman I spoke with said they knew they would eventually get a call about his dogs. I have not heard back from them in 2 weeks. John (my neighbor) always tells me he knows he should place the dogs but only if they will not be spayed and neutered because "they are valuable breeding animals and the bloodlines cannot be replaced"., I am so sick of hearing that. He is delusional and no breeder wants his dogs His landlord (who lets him live there for free) forbids him breeding the dogs, and it would truly be a horrible situation if he did. County Animal Control is only dealing with emergencies because of Covid, otherwise I would request that they do a kennel inspection and revoke his kennel license. John is a hoarder and that is true for the dogs as well as his other belongings. Every piece of junk he owns is "the most valuable" this or that. Now he keeps texting me about how many mice he caught in his traps each day. His living quarters are so cluttered and dirty that it is mouse nirvana! I might report that to Adult Protective Services if it comes down to it.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the spring weather and trying to get just a few more things planted. We are supposed to get a little rain in the next couple of days, and the mountains might get another foot of snow or more!
  • My age group is now being offered the least effective vaccine and no guarantee of a second dose of same. Turning it down thanks. I am at minimum risk (except for age) and I can continue to observe the protocols til the more effective vaccines become more widely available. I'll et and drink a bit more than I should but I can bring that back under control.

Dagmar
  • Alice, I hope there can be a good resolution for that poor man and his mistreated dogs. It's so sad! He wants to, but he can't, and he keeps thinking maybe tomorrow. Ain't gonna happen! Thank you so much for helping out with the situation! There is only so much a neighbor can do, and it sounds like you've done that and more.

Dagmar, down here the medicos are saying "take whatever vaccine you can get," the idea being that any vaccine is better than no vaccine. But for me, I'm thinking of holding out for the one-shot Johnson & Johnson. Or, who knows. Things are bound to change. I'm still strict with the protocols, and I think that's the important thing.

We had our time change last night, and this is the direction I really dislike. I'm glad I no longer have to follow a work schedule.
  • Quote: Alice, I hope there can be a good resolution for that poor man and his mistreated dogs. It's so sad! He wants to, but he can't, and he keeps thinking maybe tomorrow. Ain't gonna happen! Thank you so much for helping out with the situation! There is only so much a neighbor can do, and it sounds lie you've done that and more.

Dagmar, down here the medicos are saying "take whatever vaccine you can get," the idea being that any vaccine is better than no vaccine. But for me, I'm thinking of holding out for the one-shot Johnson & Johnson. Or, who knows. Things are bound to change. I'm still strict with the protocols, and I think that's the important thing.

We had our time change last night, and this is the direction I really dislike. I'm glad I no longer have to follow a work schedule.
    I'm the opposite with the time change. Now I can stay awake with the big kids until 10 p.m.

And I think, in the case of a vaccine where its manufacturer says you need 2 shots, one shot might not be better than none. The sudden one shot offer was for vaccine that, due to government bumbling, is set to expire at the end of the month. So they were trying to make themselves look good with the partial offering. I can wait and so can DH so that's what we are going to do. if the J & J becomes available here I would consider it, if I can then get another different vaccine that's more effective at a later date.

And i don't imagine the protocols will be lifted soon, even though a lot of people are hoping they will be. So we will both continue to follow them until we are both vaccinated. I'm 5 years older so will probably get mine sooner than DH.

Dagmar
  • I'll get used to the time change but the first few days are rough.

Dagmar, would you be able to get the second shot at some point? The science podcasts I listen to say that the two-shot vaccines might be even more effective if the second shot is delayed by a few months. I think I'd take what you are being offered, but I'm sure you'll be fine whatever you decide. I'm still following protocols even though I've had two Pfizer shots. DH wants to visit the grandkids and that seems to be considered okay. My son's baby is 9 months old already and we haven't seen him.

The old male saluki is sick. His abdomen is very distended. John won't pay for vet care, but his breeder in Indiana says she will help with expenses. The dog is 15, so we can't justify spending a ton of money, but if it's a simple infection he could be treated. He deserves not to suffer in any case. I'll try to get an appointment tomorrow.
  • The time change affected my crew last night. or should I say early this morning? DH and the dog were "talking" at around 2 a.m. and then the dog vigorously poked at me around 3:30. I got up and let her out. She's 11 and has a sensitive stomach so I thought it best I do as she asked.

Couldn't get back to sleep after that so it's going to be a long day. And we have snow in the forecast. I keep forgetting it's March and this is Canada.

Dagmar
  • We finally had lunch at some friends' house yesterday. We haven't been to see them in a year. It was really good! I hope we can see them more. They are both vaccinated now, so they feel more safe. We talked about trips we have planned in future months. Hope springs!

Dagmar, I hope it warms up for you soon. As you noted, it is still March--not even the first day of spring yet.

Angie, did you get the dog some help? What a terrible situation that is.

Not much on the horizon for today. Probably just some mundane chores, grocery shopping, etc.
  • Well, poor old Prince the saluki traveled over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. I knew it was his time, because he could not even walk to my truck when I drove over there to get him. He never complained and didn't make a sound the entire trip. I took him to my vet because John's vet was backlogged for 10 days. I called for an appt last Monday and the earliest they could see me was the next week. When I said the dog would be dead by then, they referred me to Animal Emergency where you are guaranteed to spend $800 to $1000 no matter what. My vet said as best he could tell, Prince was in liver failure. My DH and I buried him in the cemetery area on the property next door. John hobbled out to say his goodbyes to Prince and to make sure I gave him the "very valuable" collar that Prince had worn. I think Prince was almost 15. I can't say he lived a good life but he was a very sweet dog.

This weekend I will talk to John about placing the dogs. I'm not expecting that to go well, but I just have to get it over with.

Dagmar, I hope the weather gives you a break soon. With me in California and JayEll in Florida, it's just not fair!!