Who the Heck Knows? Maintainers Chat for 2021

You're on Page 10 of 16
Go to
  • Dagmar, I hope you can enjoy your long weekend. It's odd to note that summer is moving right along!

We're having appliance crises here. Our toaster oven went wonky. It's under warranty, and the company is sending a replacement, but in the meantime we bought a small "backup" toaster since toast is a major food group for my partner.

We are finally replacing the dishwasher that died a year and a half ago, but that's been an interesting dance. The one we wanted ended up on backorder--but now it's going to come Monday. So they say.

We got a replacement for our defunct DVD player, and I discovered that regular DVDs are on the way out, and it will be Blu-Ray or 4K in the future. The new machine will play all of them.

Ya just gotta keep up!
  • I'm at a crucial point in time with DH. He has finally acknowledged that his weight is very negatively impacting his life. I don't know how to encourage him to lose the weight. Everything I've been doing hasn't been working. I realize he has to decide what he's going to do moving forward but I feel so frustrated watching him eat himself to major disability or death.

I guess I will have to continue offering healthy food and excursions. I am also encouraging him to step away from the TV. Not much else I can do unless he co-operates. SIGH.

I have to step up my weight loss too. I vowed to not have cookies in the house. They are my big weakness in the evenings. And then I went out and bought 2 boxes of the darn things.

Dagmar
  • Well we still don't have a dishwasher. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday between 12 and 4. By 4:30 the delivery company called and said they would be late. At quarter to 6 they showed up. Then we discovered the dishwasher they brought was defective--the door had not been properly attached. So I refused delivery. Waiting to see what happens next.

Dagmar, I'd suggest you focus on yourself. You can't make him do anything.
  • That's a disappointment, JayEll. Hope they can get a proper one delivered to you tomorrow. We have some flickering lights in a hallway and bathroom, so I need to call an electrician in the morning. It's always something.

Dagmar, you are doing all you can to motivate your DH. It's hard to be accepting but sometimes that's all we can do. My DH is maybe 50 or 60 lbs overweight, sits in front of TV a lot, and eats lots of cheese and snacks such as tortilla chips. One day about a year ago he started walking every day, just out of the blue. He is still doing it. Maybe having the doctor call him pre-diabetic motivated him. He still takes statins and blood pressure meds, but his bloodwork is okay now. I don't say a word and just take him for who he is. I cook my meals, he prepares his.
  • Exercise gave me control over my life.
    It's been almost two years since covid-19 took over our lives. When the pandemic started, I felt like I had no control over my world. The only thing I had power over was how I treated my body. I started doing hustle dance routines to YouTube videos in my living room. Weighted hula hooping became part of the exercise routine too. If you want to join a weighted hula hoop group, check out hulafitnation on Facebook.
  • Hi, gdunson. Are you here to add to our conversation, or only to promote weighted hula hoop? It's OK to share, but not in a spammy way.

What other methods have you used to keep your weight where you want it?
  • I guess we've lost gdunson.

The new dishwasher was finally installed yesterday, and it washed the dishes last night. Thank goodness. The installation went much smoother--I had requested first thing in the morning, and although the company couldn't guarantee it, it worked out that way.

Our replacement toaster oven also arrived. I guess it was time for things to come back together!
  • Quote: I guess we've lost gdunson.

The new dishwasher was finally installed yesterday, and it washed the dishes last night. Thank goodness. The installation went much smoother--I had requested first thing in the morning, and although the company couldn't guarantee it, it worked out that way.

Our replacement toaster oven also arrived. I guess it was time for things to come back together!
    Glad your appliances are replaced and working. We bought the house with the appliances "as is" and two of them have gone kaput in the 8 years we've been here. Hoping everything else keeps going for now. The pandemic has produced some interesting shortages and also abundances. Our vets up here are up to their eyeballs in "pandemic pets". I'm hoping for some new clients when some of the people working from home go back to the office.

Dagmar
  • JayEll, I'm glad the dishwasher worked out! We had good luck with the electrician as well. He came the same day I called, found the problem very quickly (a loose connection in a wall switch) and it was fixed in about 30 minutes! He charged us $121, which is nothing considering that we are miles from any sort of town. I'm so glad it's fixed now, since fire danger is always top of my mind when it comes to mobile homes. Ours is 31 years old and holding up pretty well, but the company obviously didn't hire the most careful people to construct it or install it. The loose wire was caused because they didn't tighten the screw in the swtich. When we first moved in, the hot and cold water had been reversed so that our toilets were flushing with hot water!! The mobile home company came out and fixed it, but it just goes to show. No wonder there are so many mobile home fires if ours is representative of the construction quality.

Dagmar, YES! I think you will get as many clients as you can handle! Do you have a social media presence so that people can find you? We have the same problem with vets down here. I wish ours would give us priority appointments, since we've been a client for over 35 years, but he doesn't. Waiting 10 days for an appointment is fine if it's for a checkup or a shot, but for us most of the time it's something that needs to be treated ASAP. They tell people to go to the emergency vet, which is kind of like not having a vet at all. .

It's still in the hundreds here (40 c or higher) and now we've got the smoke from the giant fire up north giving us unhealthy air. I can cope, but it's amazing how our surroundings can influence our mood. It's much harder to be on top of my game when it's so ugly around me.
  • Good morning, everyone! Dagmar, I hope your business picks up soon. I think you do have a website--I remember finding it once. Or am I hallucinating?

Alice, yeah! Our mobile home is 40 years old. We've owned it for 14. We've had some electrical fixes over the years. Sometimes screws just work loose over time, I think. We have a mobile home manufacturer in our town, although they didn't make ours. One can take tours of the place and look at the model homes, and they certainly are different now!

Those fires and the air pollution are really bad! I would be wearing a mask all the time outdoors.

I'm devoting today to things I've been putting off. Will see how it goes.
  • August is tough in my business. It's grossly hot and humid, the lake is full of green slime , and there are biting flies and wasps everywhere. I am being bothered by the heat and humidity and am drinking too much caffeine to keep going during the day. That results in a crash in the evening and I'm glomming down cookies to compensate. Somehow losing the COVID weight and getting myself back on track doesn't seem so important right now.

But I don't fit into my fall clothes. And I don't have the means to buy any new ones. Gotta find that resolve to get back on track. I am avoiding the cookie aisle and the ice cream aisle when I go grocery shopping today. That's my first step.

Dagmar
  • Mid-week! And Labor Day is coming soon. We used to wait to travel until after Labor Day, but it seems that things are just as crowded anymore. Besides, we're just gonna travel locally for a while. I'd like to go over to the Kennedy Space Center sometime.

I hope your resolve to stay out of the cookie and ice cream aisles at the store holds up, Dagmar. You can't eat what you don't have! Not without a trip.

My partner decided that we should get a treadmill. I think she's right that we aren't getting nearly enough exercise. I used to go out early in the mornings in the summer, but now that is still too hot and humid. So, I've had months of just sitting around and so has she. We wanted to keep the price down, but after some looking around it became clear that the cheap treadmills are what you would expect--that is, you find out it's not what you wanted and it is not well made. Cheap seems to mean $200 and under. We bought one for $600 that has the features we want and should last a while. It was marked down from $800. Yikes. I guess there is no upper limit on what you can pay for exercise equipment.

I have owned exercise equipment before and so I know that after a point, one is less and less inclined (so to speak) to use it. I hope we do keep using it. We have to clear out a space in the "extra" room for it. And it's heavy. It arrives on Friday, probably--bought it online. No, we won't be falling off!
  • Good luck with the treadmill delivery and I hope you enjoy using it.

Dagmar
  • I hope all is well where you are Bill and that storm Henri has had minimal impact on you.

Dagmar
  • First day of vacation spent finishing errands, billing, getting my extremely dirty car detailed, and hanging out with my animals. Going to make a fish curry over noodles for dinner. I feel myself relaxing.

Dagmar