Old 10-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #286  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

October 5

Psalm 121:1-2
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Sonya was just about to dip into the ice cream when her doorbell rang. Guiltily, she threw the container into the freezer and slammed the door. Rushing to the hallway, she opened the door and found her sister standing there. Time after time, her sister showed up when she was most needed. Sonya couldn't believe the number of times her sister had been there to help her resist temptation. Sonya felt God was really watching out for her. Whenever her own strength gave out, God sent someone along who could strengthen her. Relieved, she let her sister in and told her the service she had just performed.

Today's thought: Strength comes from unexpected places when our own gives out!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #287  
Trying to live below 200

October 6

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Kip was amazed at how easily he took the stairs. When his kids had begged him to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty with them, he had squirmed. He remembered what a labor it had been when he was fat. He knew that he never would have made it before. Instead of a painful trauma, he found the climb a relative breeze. Thank God he had been able to lose the weight. It was the best move he ever made. It had been tough, but Kip had relied heavily on God to help him out. While he had been dieting, he had needed God's strength. Now that he was thin, God let him use his own strength once again.

Today's thought: Food gives us temporary strength. God gives us strength forever!
Old 10-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #288  
Trying to live below 200

October 7

Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Darren felt bad withdrawing from the group, but he had to. The other three men kept cheating on their diets, and that was no help at all. Each time they gave in to temptation, Darren asked himself why he tried so hard when everyone else quit. Darren needed strength and support, not more temptation. At least on his own he stood a fighting chance. Darren prayed for guidance. Dieting was hard enough without other people making it harder. We need to attach ourselves to those who are serious and committed to losing weight. God will help us have all the strength we need to keep on our diets.

Today's thought: The weight that I've lost, was of minimal cost!
Old 10-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #289  
Trying to live below 200

October 8

James 3:4
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.

David Gregory spoke to groups all over the country. He believed that faith could help people achieve all their goals. He spoke to grossly overweight people, and it had been his faith that had brought him through. Often, people would skeptically confront him as to how he really lost all his weight. His answer never varied. When asked, he would produce a tiny pewter cross from his pocket. All his success, all his power, all his wealth were nothing, compared to the strength of that small symbol. The power of the cross of Christ is unequalled.

Today's thought: With each little loss of weight, I make a greater gain!
Old 10-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #290  
Trying to live below 200

October 9

Isaiah 26:4
Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength.

Lettuce! Celery! Low-fat cottage cheese! Yeesh! It never got any more interesting. The same old bland foods got tiresome after awhile. Debbie thought she would go crazy before long. She knew what she was doing was a good thing. She really wanted to lose weight. She wanted to look and feel great. Sometimes she didn't know whether it was going to pay off. She believed that God was happy with her desire to lose weight. She trusted that He would help her. Often, it was only the strength she received from trying to please God that kept her going. She was thankful that God gave her that kind of strength.

Today's thought: The only thing I'll give up is being fat!
Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #291  
Trying to live below 200

October 10

James 5:13
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.

Bill kept telling June to ask God for help. June couldn't quite bring herself to do it. Prayer was for weaklings. Only people who couldn't handle life prayed. June would rather struggle by on her own than rely on a crutch. False pride is a sad affliction. People who feel that they are strong enough to handle every situation of life only fool themselves. Everyone is weak at some point in her life. The truly strong person is the one who acknowledges her weakness and has the wisdom to turn to God for help.

Today's thought: More time in prayer means less time to eat!
Old 10-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #292  
Trying to live below 200

October 11

1 Peter 3:13
And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?

Kim's mother felt so sorry for her. She remembered what it was like to be overweight. All the other children were so cruel. She could still feel the sting of all the nicknames people had put on her. Now, Kim was suffering the same indignities. Her mother hoped she could get Kim on a diet, if for no other reason than to keep Kim's classmates from taunting her so mercilessly. Just taking steps to correct the problem made it easier to take. The insults didn't hurt so much after the problem was taken care of. Together, they would lose the weight. With God's help, time would heal the wounds of unkind words.

Today's thought: I will put all my excess weight behind me!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #293  
Trying to live below 200

October 12

John 1:12
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name.

Corey had to admit that his friends were making better progress than he was. He just wasn't disciplined enough. His friends didn't seem to have nearly as much trouble with discipline. When he asked them why, they all just grinned and told him to pray about it. Finally, it dawned on him what they were talking about. Corey wasn't much of a Christian, but he wasn't stupid, either. His friends obviously had something he needed and wanted. If God could do so much to help them, then Corey believed He would do it for him, also. By receiving the truth of Christ, Corey was given all the strength needed to succeed in his diet.

Today's thought: God is ready to help me lose weight!
Old 10-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #294  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Thank you Diana for sharing these. I just found these and need to come read it everyday. Great devotionals to get through a day of dieting. Have a blessed day.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #295  
Trying to live below 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Thank you Diana for sharing these. I just found these and need to come read it everyday. Great devotionals to get through a day of dieting. Have a blessed day.
Hi Patty, I'm glad you find them encouraging. I do too. I'm just continuing what someone else already started. Wishing you the best with your weight loss goals.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #296  
Trying to live below 200

October 13

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Grace was surprised. The hostess had offered her dessert and she had declined without even the slightest pang of remorse. Dessert had always been Grace's favorite type of food. Giving up dessert had been the worst part of her diet. Now, though, she found that she had declined without really caring. What a breakthrough! She felt she had a fighting chance. She had resisted temptation so long that it wasn't tempting any longer. Grace felt stronger than at any other point in her diet. Thank God. She was going to make it, after all!

Today's thought: The more I turn down, the more my weight goes down!
Old 10-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #297  
Trying to live below 200

October 14

1 Corinthians 10:12
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Peter dressed for the dinner. His friends tried to tell him he shouldn't go, but he ignored them. He'd been doing great on his diet. He was in total control. He knew there would be wonderful and exotic food where he was going, but he could handle it. Too bad he forgot that when he got there. The temptation was too great for him. Before he realized what was happening, he was stuffed. In one day, he blew a couple of weeks of hard work. We can't afford to get cocky when we diet. Each day is a new struggle all its own. Ask God for daily help. Avoid situations where temptation prevails. The Lord will be sure to help you, whenever you let Him.

Today's thought: I will steer clear of calorie traps!
Old 10-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #298  
Trying to live below 200

October 15

Zechariah 4:6
Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, 'This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit,' saith the Lord of hosts.'

Curtis liked to think he could do everything on his own. He often told friends that he didn't need anybody else; he was fine all by himself. On those rare occasions when Curt was feeling down and in need of a friend's support, he usually found himself alone. Everyone figured he really didn't need anyone else, and so he was lonely. No matter how strong or powerful or talented we might be, we all need the support of friends. Our greatest friend is, of course, Jesus Christ. We need never feel alone when we have the Spirit of the Lord with us. Accept the helping hand of the Lord, and find out what real strength is all about.

Today's thought: Let me lose not only weight, but also false pride!
Old 10-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #299  
Trying to live below 200

October 16

John 19:11
Jesus answered, 'Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.'

How much easier our lives would be if we could quit fighting the fact that all power comes from God. We want control of our own lives, and we like to think we can stand on our own two feet. The reality of the matter is that we have received everything we have from the Lord. He has given us our abilities and talents, He has given us our resources, and He gives us our opportunities. The truly strong person is she who understands that God is the source of all power. If we want the power to diet, it can come to us only through the Lord God Almighty, who loves His children and offers them everything they need.

Today's thought: God is greater than my desire to eat!
Old 10-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #300  
Trying to live below 200

October 17

Ephesians 4:15-16
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Peak efficiency: That is what God intended for the human body. The human body is an intricate, delicate, but powerful machine; finely crafted, and capable of amazing feats. The only way the body can work properly, the way God intended, is when we take good care of it. It should not be burdened with excessive weight, nor should it be abused by improper diet. If we will endeavor to take good care of our bodies, we will experience the joy of living the way God intended for us all.

Today's thought: I am a marvelous creation of God, worth taking care of!