Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat Winter 2020/2021

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • Carol Sue Sounds like your DH had a relaps in his memory. LOL He will learn in time. We can only hope.

I love Ritz crackers and WW says you can have the whole wheat but the fiber in it is a joke. No better and pts are the same for the same amount. But like chips, I can't eat just a serving so I don't buy them. I bought some rice thins and they are awful and may end up throwing them in trash. I keep saltines on hand because I don't crave them. DH and I both eat them with soup and chili although I have started cooking elbow whole wheat pasta because a serving is 0 pts.

Today has been good eating day with 3 pts that roll over to tomorrow. DH decided to go get us CB from McDs so chili is put away for another day probably Saturday since we have to go to Walmart tomorrow to get meds and will get KFC.

• Slept for 8+ hours. Wt is 191.2. On Wed it was 191.8. Yesterday when I saw it go to 192 I jumped off and didn't let it register on the app. So I'm down, but I don't know how much. Good thing I didn't eat that sandwich DH made. In the past I would have figured its only half of a sandwich and ate it. I have changed. I hope its forever.

He wanted to go to Texas Roadhouse but I was only hungry for a small dinner so I told him we would go today. But I forgot it's Friday and they get crowded on Friday. And it is supposed to snow tonight. It depends on what time the snow starts or the temperature drops. Maybe we should go someplace closer but he had his heart set on that steak. When I saw the weather report on tv it showed snow and cold for 5 days out of the next 7. Today they said our warm weather is over and the second half of January will be cold. That means 20 degrees instead of 40. I am happy to just stay home but he is not.
  • Carol Sue I got up to the temperature in the 30s and high will be in 50s. Cold for Central TX. Even when it warms up for a while, we always have cold weather off and on until after Easter. I have gone to Easter Sunrise services when I was teen and froze it was so cold standing out there.

Isn't it great to get a reward for not eating the 1/2 sandwich? I love it when things like that happen because it encourages me to strong enough to say no the next time. Good for you.

I got up early today to go to the beauty shop and store this morning. I was thrilled to see that after eating the cheese burger my weight inched down .2 lbs today. Talk about slow loss but the thrill for me is that my weight used to go up not down. I honestly believe it is eating the 0 pt foods at night. Sometimes I want something else but I still eat the 0 pt foods. Last night it was unsweetened applesauce and FF cottage cheese with cinnamon. That didn't hurt my bs either as it was 101 today. Busy day today. 2 stores and then we will get KFC. That isn't bad either because I will eat 0 pt vegetables with 2 pc dark chicken. Funny thing is that white meat is usually 0 pts so you would think it would be less pts but KFC is higher for white than for dark. Go figure. I suppose it is the skin and breading combo. That is one of the differences between Simply Filling and Purple that doesn't make since. On SF all chicken (not fried and/or battered) is 0 whether dark or white but on Purple only skinless white meat is 0 pts. I could do SF and still count SP on WW instead of the PP which is what is used on SF and may eventually do that. But I want to get this Purple to become a way of life first.

Have a blessed day Everybody.
  • Well this morning it was 47 degrees and now its down to 33. It didn't start snowing yet but it has been raining off and on and is supposed to turn to sleet and snow overnight.

We didn't go to Texas Roadhouse. DH had a hamburger and I had eggs. Maybe we will go tomorrow depending on the weather.
  • Plans changed a lot today. I got home and DH said he needed me to call the doctor's office to see the doctor about the scrape on his knee from when he fell in the snow the other day. They had to scrape the scab off and gave him a antibiotic to take for 5 days. Now he says his neck is hurting too so praying he will get better without any problems.

We ended up getting tacos from Taco Bell. I ate 3 tacos and I ate all 3 since I hadn't eaten anything of substance. The good thing was that since I had 3 pts from yesterday, I only used those 3 pts plus 1 weekly. So that was good.

It's supposed to be 30 degrees here tonight, but thank goodness no snow.

• Trish, I hope your DH is ok. He might have twisted his neck when he fell. Things like that don't show up for a day or so. Isn't it funny that they depend on us for things like calling the doctor! DH would have done the same thing.

My weight stayed the same, 191.2. But I am happy that it hasn't been over 192 all week. Before, I was bouncing up to 194-195. Its such a small amount but significant for me. It could be because I'm not eating breakfast every day. I had breakfast twice this week. One was a McDonalds Egg Mcmuffin and another day I had 1 scrambled egg and no toast or anything else. The eggs were always a good source of protein for me so I might start keeping some hard cooked eggs on hand. I don't want to start adding calories I don't need but I want to get more protein.

Trish, I don't like tacos anymore, especially from taco bell. Home made are ok and I could probably eat taco bell if I added lettuce and tomato. There are so many things that I used to eat that I don't really care for anymore. There is one restaurant we liked that took things off the menu that were things we liked. We haven't been there for months. At Bob Evans I only like the Chicken Noodle Deep Dish. I don't understand why my tastes have changed so much. I used to eat just about everything. Now its very limited, but I still tend to eat too much.

I see DH is in the kitchen cooking breakfast and he didn't ask if I wanted any. So I will see if he made some for me. If so, I will not eat it.

He made pancakes but never said a word. I'm pretty sure there will be a few sitting on a plate out there. I'd love to have a pancake with an egg on top. Maybe I'll do that around noon.
  • Carol Sue I think that is a man thing. My Daddy wanted to be in control of everything but I was surprised at the things he wanted her to take care of. She had a brother who own a car dealership so Daddy let her call and make all the appointments etc even make deal to buy cars. As for doctor, they went to the same doc for years who was Daddy's friend and Mama would call him and tell him when she wanted him to check certain things. Daddy said one day the doc told him he had to run a EKG on him. Daddy protested and said "I have my orders. Your wife insisted I do it." LOL

When we were waiting for the doctor to treat DH knee, I noticed a sign on the door that spoke of "if you are losing weight but having a difficult time keeping it off:" It said that when we lose weight and have a hard time keeping the weight off that it is because we have a hormone that tries to get that weight back. It says to talk to your physician about it. I may ask my doctor about it when I see him next month. However, I'm wondering if that is why we hang around the same weight so long before we lose again. I'm thinking that maybe we have to give our body time to see that we refuse to gain that weight back. I've always heard it is hard to lose the weight we have worn the longest and perhaps this is why. Makes sense to me.

Well, I didn't believe the tacos I ate yesterday was so low and I believe it less today. My weight was up 1 lb which really doesn't surprise me. FBG was 105 so that is good and my bp is really running good now usually around 111/61 range. I haven't had an extreme hi or low in quite some time. Not sure what it will be when I see the doc as it is usually up then. I like the homemade better too Carol Sue because I can control the pts better, but DH likes the Taco Bell ones and you know how that goes.

We are having chili I cooked the other day for lunch. I am drinking my coffee with Premier shake in it and having fruit today. I think that will probably help me to eat less. I bought 3 different flavors and they are more like lattes and good for me at the same time. The sad thing is coffee doesn't keep me awake. DS said it doesn't her either. Daddy used to say that Mama could drink a cup of coffee and go right to sleep. Strange isn't it.

I slept late this morning although it wasn't long hour sleep since I went to bed around 1 am and got up at 9 am. I've been getting up at 7:30 am the past 2 days. I ran yesterday on no doze pills just to do all I had to do. I told DH last night that if I fell asleep in my chair not to wake me to go to bed but I didn't. Probably why I slept so sound.

I hope everyone has a good day.
  • Oh, DH wants to be in control of everything too but he always wants me to make the phone calls for things. He puts the phone on speaker so he can hear but then tells me what today. That lasts until I hand the phone to him.

I did very will with food today. I ate 1 pancake with a fried egg on it. That was 258 calories with butter on the pancake. If I learn to eat the pancake without butter it would be better. Then I shredded some cabbage, turnip and onion and sauteed it in butter. Once again, next time I will use water and just steam it with a lid on it. Both of these were very tasty and satisfying, and it was real food with nutrition. This leaves 700+ calories for dinner based on MFP as they have me set for 1200 per day. They will accept 1000 cals so I try to stay between 1000-1200. Honestly, I go over more than not, but some is better than none.

I did some exercise today when I was downstairs to do laundry. I am happy that I finally figured out the right stance for doing the ab squat machine I bought. When I first got it I figured I'd never be able to do it but now its easy! I hope I still feel that way tomorrow!
  • Carol Sue That is great that you figured out how to use the ab squat machine and you really did good with the breakfast as well. I'm not doing the bike right now and I do need to get back to it. I just try to move around more and not be sitting so much.

Did y'all get the snow you were looking for? We are going to have a lot of rain next week and DH wants to go to Sam's if he feels like it so will do that Monday. He is pretty sore today with back pain. I hope this is just delayed soreness from that fall and not something else.
  • I hope and pray you DH is ok. A slip and fall can throw a lot of things out.

It started snowing pretty fast this afternoon and covered the roads quickly but a couple hours later it stopped just as quickly and melted. There was a multi car slip and slide accident that closed a local road til they got it cleared. This is how its supposed to be for the next several days...snow showers daily but not a lot of accumulation.

I read online that squats should be done 3 times a week up to 50 per day. I would like to get into a rotation with them. They are something I can do quickly when I'm downstairs even when not doing my regular exercises. I think they will strengthen my legs which I really need. I have been walking so much better lately.
    ​​​​
  • Carol Sue I saw a doctor on line who talked like holding on to the chair or I hold on to the side of the sink, was just as good as doing loads of different exercises. He said do them before you eat a big meal. I do them but I have never done them before a meal but maybe I should.

Eating was pretty good although I did go over 1 pt today but still have 27 weeklies so I haven't gone crazy with it. I only had fruit this morning and then had 2 actual meals. Drinking the protein in the coffee really seems to keep me from being hungry. I've been tired today I think those early mornings and or the stress of yesterday with DH finally caught up to me. I took a lot of catnaps today. I sure hope I can still sleep good tonight.

• Wt is down to 190.2. That is when it usually starts back up instead of dropping into the 180s. We'll see.

It is starting to snow already and we are supposed to get 2-3 inches today. The dog needs dog food and we have a few other things on the list. I hate going on Sunday. We could go local but DH will only eat Wal-Mart bread.

BBL

The snow flurries stopped but I did hear we are getting snow today.

I walked all over Wal-Mart, all over Target and all over the local grocery store. So lots of exercise today. I bough taco seasoning and shells because I'm making home made tacos today. You made me want them, Trish.. I mix the seasoning in the meat,then top them with shredded lettuce and cheese, and chopped tomato. We don't like them hot so I use mild seasoning and no taco sauce.

I didn't eat this morning but I'm hard cooking some eggs to have in case I get hungry before dinner. I really don't want my weight to pop up tomorrow.
  • Carol Sue I hope your weight won't go back up. Mine is about the same as yesterday. I've decided to just not worry about not losing or bouncing after reading what I did at the doctor's office. I figure that if I continue doing what I am doing that my body will adjust and weight will come down and hopefully as it adjusts that the weight lost will be less likely to go back up. My FBG and bp is doing so well and those are biggies for me and makes me believe that the weight will come off in time.

DH couldn't sleep last night because his back hurt so much. He has pain meds and if it were me and I wouldn't take his pain meds he would get so mad at me. I had to talk him into taking his. I told him to take it when he went back to bed to see if he can sleep. He has been in bed for 2 hrs now so I hope he is sleeping.

I'm hungry this morning so I just might fix something but not sure. I will try to ride it out for now.

Have a good day everybody.

• Trish, both of us are now in the habit of taking a bottle of water to bed at night so we don't have to get up, and I keep Tylenol Arthritis on my nightstand in case I need it. I also have an RX for pain meds but its rarely bad enough to need them. If I need it I take it, but DH is like your DH and I have to coax him. If he is up with pain then neither one of us is getting any sleep.
  • The scale went down .6 to 190.0. Still not into the 180s but so close, and with zero hunger. That makes me happy. Ill try to do the same today.

I guess I got the snow day wrong because I woke up to it this morning. We are supposed to get 1-3 inches but we just got a dusting overnight and it has stopped for now. But it is supposed to snow off and on all day and also the next few days.

If the roads don't get bad maybe we will go out to eat today. I don't know where. I want Bob Evans but I don't think he will want that.

Pipsicle didn't post yesterday. I hope she's OK.