2 Question about coconut oil

• hi
    I bought Nutiva Coconut oil and I like it
    but I need to order more. I want to order it on line because it will be cheaper.

Is Tropical Traditions and oil from here http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....raditional.htm

taste the same??

Also wasnt Coconut oil in the news a few years back saying it was no good for us??
    sandi
  • I don't know if it would be the same or not. If you have a local health food store, that might be your best bet. I've bought coconut oil at my health food store, though I used it to make soap, lol.

I personally won't eat coconut oil because i'm not convinced of the so-called benefits. I have heart disease and think it's too much of a risk to consume coconut oil on a regular basis. The websites that sell it praise it highly. However, it hasn't been recommended by any of the reputable medical websites that I've checked, and is still considered a saturated fat. The American Heart Association still says to avoid it. Everything that I've read indicates that the dangers still outweight the benefits.

I'm told that there are no published studies involving humans proving their claims. According to several articles I read, the reason coconut oil is claimed to help weight loss is that it you feel satisfied sooner so you quit eating your meal before it's gone. Eat less, lose weight. Whether or not you actually push away the plate when you feel satisifed is questionable, considering that overeating is the reason we all got fat in the first place. There also has not been enough research to prove that MTC's have thermogenic properties or promote thyroid metabolism. It looks like someone just took an unproven theory and ran with it, as is so often the case with fad diets and fad diet products.

A spokesman for the American Heart Association said this:

People have looked in the past as to whether MCTs have thermogenic properties, and I think the answer is pretty well negative. Generally, saturated fats tend not to be as well [metabolized], so if it does have any ability to promote heat generation, it's going to be minimal..... Coconut oil's effect on metabolism, if any, is modest compared with the potential for raising overall cholesterol and particularly "bad" LDL cholesterol. Ingesting coconut oil for a short period of time will not do harm, but I'm concerned about the long haul.

Even Dr. Weil suggests avoiding it. http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA316479/
  • sandi- are you buying the coconut oil bc you like the way it tastes? if so, you should still use it sparingly and only for flavour. i don't know anything about the brands, but in general tropical oils are just as bad as butter for your heart.
  • Coconut oil contains natural saturated fats that increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels in your body. They may also help turn LDL (bad) cholesterol into a less harmful form. By increasing HDL, many experts believe that coconut oil may boost heart health compared with many other fats
  • What's impressive about this oil is it's versatility, you can use it as a face and body moisturizer, for hair growth, as a massage oil, to gargle with it's known to improve oral health, it's reported to boost your energy when infused with your morning coffee, remove makeup, great addition to your deep hair conditioners one of my personal favorites.