Steel Magnolias #65

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good evening! It was chilly last night and today. I stayed in, but Jack did a few errands. I bought the cutest pair of blue ankle boots for cold weather, but the right one rubbed just above my ankle bone so back they had to go. Jack took them to the post office. He ran to the ATM for me and picked up some breakfast.

The allergic reactions are keeping it up. He got up this morning and his left palm was swollen. By midday the back of his hand was completely swelled up. He can’t take anything for the itching because of his allergy appt Tuesday. I felt so sorry for him because it is sore and itches so badly. So, it might not be what we think. I can’t find any connections between the reactions, which is frustrating.

Jean: Obviously the pastor ignored the scripture about your body being a temple. It’s pretty disrespectful to treat the churches properties that way. How’s the harvesting coming along? We haven’t been out towards the base so don’t know how cotton picking is coming along. I really liked that thing you put on FB about the whole covid thing.

CeeJay: She’s gonna have to let go sooner or later or it will put her in the hospital. He’s a grown man not a child. Glad you finally have your internet sorted out. We have craziness with ours here.

Have a good day tomorrow.
  • gma
    Agreed about sis letting go and after I told her how I feel about this relating to her health and that heart disease is starting with the cousins it is scary to me she's decided to back off.
    Thanks for starting a new thread.

I went to an online church service this morning. We've gotten a light drizzle of rain and the temps are more like Fall. Yesterday we went to the Battlefield house to feed the cats and cleaned up the grill and put it in the shed and put the patio table in the shed. We mad a dry run to the animal shelter so I know where that is. Now to get the cats in the crates a week from Monday.
  • Good morning! It’s going to be in the 80’s a few days here. Once again weird weather patterns.

Poor Jack had another reaction yesterday, but he said he was ok this morning. I had him buy some Caladryl Clear on Saturday and that seemed to work with the itching. I sure hope they can figure out what is causing it tomorrow. He’s been gone about 30 minutes to his rehab session. He has 3 this week then 2 next week and he’s done. He says the muscles get sore a bit around his knee but other than that his knee is great.

I convinced Jack to buy a tire compressor to use. He has issues with his tires losing air once in awhile and they can’t figure out why. In the old days we’d just pop into a filling station. Nowadays you have to hunt all over then pay for air so I told him buy our own! It’ll be here today along with a couple pair of warm socks for me to wear when my feet get cold. My slippers are too clunky to wear and when the temps dip, my feet get cold sometimes.

CeeJay: I hope she can. Stress is terribly hard on the heart, especially at our age. I know it’s tough, but sometimes it’s what has to be done. Hope you enjoyed the service.

Everyone have a good week.

• Good Afternoon! It was 36 degrees outside when I came downstairs this morning. It has only "warmed" up to 39; when I left for church at 7:15 it was snowing! It was the wet sloppy kind and covered the ground by noon. So much for mulching leaves for a few days. Bob is done with harvest so next on his list is to winterize the tractors and do a couple of minor repairs. I've done two loads of laundry, folded, and put them away. Ian's team won their game Friday night so have one more before playoffs. I have a feeling the last game(s) are going to be cold ones.

Gma,” the guys finished harvest last Thursday. Yields were not as good as in other years but better than expected considering the wind damage and drought conditions. There are some FB political statistics I would love to copy and share but Bob discourages that because of his clients. Most all are Republicans but a few are die hard Democrats and would most likely give him a hard time. Like Trump told Savannah, the media doesn’t do justice in reporting anything positive pertaining to him. She is a witch! She and Nancy are a pair. I know one can’t believe everything that is on FB but it is frustrating. I wish they would ban political ads, opinions, and comments. I feel for Jack! It would be nice if you could figure out what he reacts to. I’ve heard the standard “you can become allergic to anything at any time” too often.

Ceejay, it is hard to watch a loved one with an addiction. I feel for you and your sister. We have a son-in-law who is a smoker as are his parents. He doesn’t smoke in our house and listens politely when I give my speech but he ignores any and all advice to quit. I keep reminding myself he doesn’t beat Beth nor the kids so that is a plus. He is old enough to know better! We skipped church yesterday to go to Jason’s. Ian had asked Bob to take his senior pictures so they spent a couple hours doing that. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon and they got some good pictures.

I need to get busy. The dishwasher is done so need to unload that then iron some long sleeved shirts for Bob. He's decided to switch off his summer wardrobe finally. Hope you are enjoying a nice day!
  • Evening
    It's late but thought I would post. I have a dental appointment in the morning. My dentist is in Branson. I'm not going to spend the night but may spend the night with the kitties in Battlefield. I just feel at home there. I'm going to start gathering things to take to Goodwill this week. I really don't have a lot of things left there except the furniture. Nephew still has some clothes.

Jean
    I saw where some parts of Iowa had snow. Ugh I'm not ready for that white stuff. Nephew had been going to AA meetings while he is in Branson and met a woman who has taken an interest. She told sis that she is a life coach and would like to be A's friend and confidant. Sis seems to like her.

gma
    I hope the doctor can do some allergy test to find out what is going on with J's hand. I know that has to be irritating and painful.
    Sorry the boots didn't fit correctly. I need some new shoes. Just hadn't brought myself to go shoe shopping.
  • Good morning! We are going to be in the 80’s again today and looking out the back door, not a cloud in the sky. I have a hair appt at 1 pm so I’ll enjoy some music with the sunroof open today! Maybe I’ll blast 60’s music to the cars with that filthy rap stuff they play here as loud as it goes. We went out the other day and were on the interstate. This 3 wheeled thingamajig came roaring around us with the music cranked. The thing was open like those cart racers you see on tv. The man and woman had no protection at all and the way he was driving, an accident would kill them. Crazy to drive on the interstate in that.

Jack is upstairs getting cleaned up to go at 1 to his allergy appt. I sure hope they can figure out what it is. It keeps popping up, but I can’t make a connection to them. Jack’s worried they won’t be able to figure it out and he’ll have to live with it. I told him they’ll figure it out, especially since he had a bad reaction. He cracked me up saying if he ever needed the epipen I’d have to do it. I told him it’s easy not like syringes, but he says he can’t. I guess he better never be alone then! The man would never become a heroin addict, that’s for sure. He hates needles.

CeeJay: Hope the dentist goes ok. I’m sure you’ll be glad when you have no more stuff to deal with at the house. Won’t have much more time in the yard either. I can’t believe it’s almost Nov. Christmas movies are already starting!

Jean: I saw Des Moines got like 9 inches and thought, “Boy, I’m sure Jean’s not ready for that. I looked up your weather and it said cold and cloudy, but you obviously got some snow already. Hard to believe Thanksgiving only a month away. I think we’re going to order from Cracker Barrel again this year. It was good with just enough for leftovers and best of all, no cooking and little clean up. I have Christmas shopping done, 3 gift cards for friends and siblings, and cash for the boys! Hope you don’t freeze at the games!

Everyone have a good Tuesday.

• On tablet
    It's bed time. I've had a fair day. I decided not to spend the night in Branson last night but should have. I had to get up at 6 a.m. to get out the door by 6.30 to drive back. It was dark when I left and by the time it was breaking dawn it was foggy. Visibility was not good. I made it to the appointment with the office manager to finish up paper work from yesterday. I was told I'd be getting fillings but not the case, two crowns and bridge work. I'm glad the worse part is done.
    I'm spending the night with sis tonight. Then spending the weekend with the kitties. The Humane Shelter called to confirm the appointment for Monday. I'm praying that the cats will be easy to put in their carriers.
    Sis said that nephew has been spending the night with his new lady friend. But he did stop by to say hello and to pick up his daily allowance of meds. He looked good and has been working this week.
    No personals tonight.
  • Happy Thursday . . . if you are a duck that is! We have not seen the sun for so long I've forgotten what it looks like. It's 36 degrees with a 20 mph east wind and rain. Definitely not a nice day but I have faith the rain will stop and the wind will die down by game time tonight. Otherwise I will be at the house with Zowie's cats watching the game on utube. It is senior recognition and parents' night so will take more half time than usual. This morning I dried a load of clothes I forgot yesterday, I’ve been to the grocery store where lettuce went up $.62 from the last week, and coffee was $9 for a middle sized can. We usually get the huge can for $11 at Sam's. Then I stopped at the vet's for Ernie food. So far his hasn't increased but I bet it will. Wish we could quit eating!

Ceejay, Des Moines is 2 1/2 hours south of us and got 9” of snow that day. Our ground was covered but it was gone by late afternoon; it was the wet heavy slop. I am not ready for snow either! I have been thinking about having a bridge where my tooth used to be. Will yours be permanent or one you can take out? I did two crowns at the same time years ago. That dentist tried to talk me out of it but I figured if I was going to have a sore mouth I might as well. It worked out fine. Do you give the cats treats? I used to toss a couple in the carrier and Sunny would chase them in. That only worked a couple times. Bob does the job with Ernie. Good luck! I hope the new lady friend will be the good luck charm for your nephew!

“Gma,” WM plays crappy music and much too loud! I had to go yesterday and the guy guarding the door was the one I don’t like. I had a box of canned cat food and a sack with some makeup; he started coming towards me asking if I had a receipt which I had just put in my purse. I said, “yes I do; I haven’t stolen anything from this store yet!”, and kept on walking! After I got outside I hoped he didn't send security after me! I just don’t like him! We had to practice with a fake epipen at school. It looked like a ball point pen and felt like when you click the point to come out. I just hope someone can figure out what Jack is reacting to. I have started Christmas shopping! Beth gave me a couple ideas for the kids and Amanda gave me one for her so I hope the mail system works. We did go vote at the court house. We were going to wait until Election Day but a gal from church talked Bob into going early. I wonder how long it will take to count mail-ins and early ballots.

Bob just got home so guess it is lunch time. Hope you are having nicer weather than here and doing something you enjoy!
  • on phone
    I'm in Battlefield with the cats. Haven't done much but sit and hold the cats. I did spend the night with them.
    We had a cold front come through this morning and the temperatures have dropped .
    Nephew was expecting a package from UPS for his work, but so far nothing. guess I'll stay till it comes.
    Got to meet the new "lady". I really liked her. she a bit older than him. but sometimes that's a good thing. And by the way, she is a life coach. something he needs
    I'll get online when I'm back in Ash Grove and finish this
  • Good Afternoon! It’s another cold, windy, gloomy day in my neighborhood but no rain. I dusted, vacuumed, and sorted through the never ending clutter on the island counter. Sometimes I wish we hadn’t put that in as it is a catch all and I am the guilty one. I fixed a decent lunch for a change: baked potatoes, scalloped corn, and ham. I picked up the gift shop money and have a box of greeting cards to price. This company has had the same designs for three years in a row. I like plain and simple verses or even blank cards but some are overboard so I seem to order the same ones. At $2.00 a card no one complains. We were just ready to leave for the game yesterday and Jason called to tell us their superintendent had closed the bleachers due to ice, and we should stay home. It was raining there, as well as here, and 32 degrees in both places. The strong wind was from the east which means we would be facing the wind if in the bleachers. I was glad to stay home! The game was on utube so Bob got to watch it and Ian’s team won in overtime. Bob was really nervous at the end. They did open the bleachers right before the game started; I was glad since it was senior recognition and parents’ night. It was mainly parents there.

Ceejay, I think think you should adopt the cats! They love you best! The daughter-in-law of a friend is a life coach and she is such a positive pleasant person to be around. I hope nephew’s new friend is able to help him.

I didn’t sleep very well last night so could really use a nap. I woke up about 1:30 and just couldn’t go back to sleep. That doesn’t happen very often but I hate when it does. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day! I am excited!! The sun is peeking out!
  • Morning
    I'm finally getting to use my laptop today.
    I've done a couple of chores outside and washed and dried a load of clothes. I'm going to pack a bag to take with me back to the house in Battlefield house.
    Not much else to report.

• Good Morning! Well, the weather lady was right and it is snowing in my corner of the world. Last night she said the average temperature for this time of year is 66, our high yesterday was 27! Guess the crazy weather is Trump's fault too! We planned to go to church this morning but opted for online instead. It's very windy and we can't park close to where we usually do, by the drive through canopy. We are only allowed in and out one door during COVID. The students come and go through a different door. We now have a doorbell and camera by the office door for anyone wanting in the office. I've done a load of laundry, got the gift shop deposit ready for tomorrow, and priced an order of greeting cards for the gift shop. I need to sort through newspapers for the vet, and pull out the shiny ads. Finishing a library book is on my afternoon "want to do" list. Hard to believe this is the last week in October. Hope you are enjoying sunshine and have a super Sunday!
  • On. Tablet
    I'm in Battlefield.
    I was in Branson Saturday night getting ready for bed and stepped in water. I had to wake up my sister and she panicked. She called nephew and from there things went really bad. She was hysterical to say the least. I cannot handle loud confrontations so I tried to find some where quiet . She finally sent nephew home with his "lady friend" The drain was stopped up and that condo plus two more were connected. We caught all the excess. It finally settled Dow but both of us were up during the night to make sure it didn't happen again. It did the. next morning, the drain settled down again enough for us to get a plumber in.
    Sunday afternoon we went to DQ for .lunch. In the car she was talking about the incident and called me pathetic. That weighed heavily on me.
    This morning coming back she was still talking about the inciden. I mentioned the fact that I was not pathetic and that it hurt.
    She then brought up the fact that she didn't want to be a slum lord. The neighbor mentioned that one of their friends was interested in the house.I told her I would make a good renter. I'm not happy in Ash Grove and don't think I can live with her. I've been independent too long
    Back later giiving pets to the kitties
    t
  • Good Evening! We had sunshine today!!!! It was 17 degrees but the sunshine made up for it. It is supposed to be in the 40s by Thursday so keeping my fingers crossed. Today was my usual Monday routine: counting money, making the gift shop deposit, dropped off library books, a quick grocery stop for a couple items I need to make pb bars tomorrow, and a couple loads of laundry.

Ceejay, you have too much drama in your life. Move out and adopt the cats! Enjoy some peace and quiet doing things to please yourself. Just my unasked for opinion you understand.

Bob is home from his board meeting so guess I will scratch up something for supper. Hope you have had a good day!
  • Good evening! Had trouble getting in here a couple days then got tied up and forgot. Hope everyone isn’t freezing with this cold snap. It’s chilly overnight but not too bad by afternoon. I’ve been trying to convince my bff to go to the hibachi restaurant on the ship. She went to one and wouldn’t eat the food, but not sure what they offered. The ship one has combos like shrimp and chicken or beef and chicken, or single like beef tenderloin or chicken breast. They offer green salad or veggie fried rice to start but she won’t eat the ginger dressing so am going to get her ranch I think is what she eats and take packet with us if I can. Drives me nuts trying to make sure she’ll eat stuff. Like pulling teeth.

Jack asked me what I wanted for Christmas and when I told him nothing he got smart and said, “Not even new shoes or a new purse?” Haha!

I made spaghetti carbonara last night and made pork skewers with mac n cheese and corn tonight. Gotta think of something tomorrow. Maybe just burgers and chips.

Jack continues to have allergic stuff, mostly the bottom of his feet. They get red and itch and he says it feels like a knot on the bottom of his foot. It goes away then come backs. Haven’t heard anything about his blood tests.

I’ll get in here tomorrow and do personals. Have a good evening.

Tags

weight lose 10 to 15 day, weight lose fast