Wanting to get healthy.

• After a lifetime of bulimia (recovered) I've decided to get healthy. I need to lose weight, surprise surprise right? I want to lose about 8 kilos, but this time I want to do things differently, I want to do things in a healthy way, I want to find the middle ground. My starting weight is 78 kilos, my goal is 70 kilos. Over the past two years I've gained 13 kilos from personal issues and health issues. I originally started at 103 kilos and scared to end up back there. I'm Carley, 37 years old from Australia. I'm married and have two beautiful children. Looking forward to meeting you all

• Hi Carly, I'm Jill. I am a 59 year old Grandma (of one 18 month old) from NJ in the USA. I applaud you for wanting to get healthy. Have you determined what plan you are going to use for your new Way of Eating (WOE)? I have been an Atkins gal on and off for many years. Unprocessed low carb foods seem to suit my body best. You can totally do this. My suggestion is focus on a few main goals to start, maybe just work on your food choices and try to get in 15 mins of extra activity daily. Build your habits up in a way you can maintain and build on them. Don't be surprised if your losses are slow. You do not have a huge amount to lose so it will likely take awhile but you will get there. Wish I were in OZ now --- our NJ temperatuees have been sticking around 30c this week!!! I have been melting on my walks! WELCOME!
  • Quote: Hi Carly, I'm Jill. I am a 59 year old Grandma (of one 18 month old) from NJ in the USA. I applaud you for wanting to get healthy. Have you determined what plan you are going to use for your new Way of Eating (WOE)? I have been an Atkins gal on and off for many years. Unprocessed low carb foods seem to suit my body best. You can totally do this. My suggestion is focus on a few main goals to start, maybe just work on your food choices and try to get in 15 mins of extra activity daily. Build your habits up in a way you can maintain and build on them. Don't be surprised if your losses are slow. You do not have a huge amount to lose so it will likely take awhile but you will get there. Wish I were in OZ now --- our NJ temperatuees have been sticking around 30c this week!!! I have been melting on my walks! WELCOME!

It's amazing to meet you

I want to make healthier choices and minimise my binging at dessert times. I don't want to count calories or take out foods because of my history that will only do more harm than good. I exercise most days and get in about 10,000 - 12,000 steps a day. I take it easy on the weekends and give myself time to rest. I need to stop expecting huge losses like some others and let my body do what it needs and wants to do.

With temps do you mean 30f? Because 30c is really nice! Where we live in Summer get up to about 45c on average, the hottest being 49c, it's horrible.
  • Yes, I intended to write 38 C not 30, that was a typo-- for us that's pretty hot but you have us beat with those 40s for sure. I think the problem is more the humidity -- its above 90% and feels like a steam room these days. Sounds like you have a plan. I am guessing subbing a frui for dessert would make a big difference and still give you a sweet. Your steps and exercise sound terrific.