Steel Magnolias — #62

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Jean
    Weird things happen on this site. It wouldn't surprise me in the least what will happen next. Cough and sore throat are just about gone. Still have some lingering hoarseness episodes. But this too shall pass.

gma
    I love Godfather's pizza. I think it's the sauce they use.

-----------------------
    I went into Battlefield yesterday morning to check on nephew A. He's been having some depression along with anxiety issues. It bothered me. He was okay. I bought his lunch and then came back home.
    He's a big baby when it comes to his knee. He said he hurt it playing softball. He slid into second base.
    Nephew called this morning to go take him to the office but some one was going to the house.
    Told sis last night that I'm getting a new vehicle for my birthday.
    We got some much needed rain yesterday. And last night the rain was hitting the roof of the house hard. Laid in bed listening to it.
  • Good Morning! It's a beautiful cool morning in my neighborhood! The "cold front" came through last night and areas around us got some much needed rain, but not us. We need it badly, the crops are beginning to look stressed as are the farmers. My sliding doors and windows are open, love the fresh air blowing through! I need to make a grocery run; my once a month coffee friend, whom I haven't seen since March, had her hip replaced and I want to make some food for her. She put it off because of COVID and I thought indefinitely until things settled down but not the case. She is so organized, always cooks then freezes individual servings for herself. I have a small load in the washer, Bob is going on a tractor ride and wanted his shirt with his tractor picture on it. I was waiting for more things to wash with it but time is running out. The ride is Saturday.

Ceejay, Godfather’s pizza is my favorite too! Unfortunately ours closed. You are such a caring aunt and sister for your family! I hope they appreciate all you do for them! Have you decided what kind of vehicle you want? Bob made the comment his pickup is quieter than my car. I really notice the road noise on the interstate and not sure if it is the type of pavement or the car itself. We downsized last time so that may be part of it. I really notice how hot my lap is when it’s sunny and hot outside. He said because it is smaller and we sit closer to the windshield. I’d go back to a Buick in a heartbeat but the local dealership is not locally owned anymore and their customer service stinks. Bob blew his top when they tried to charge us for something they shouldn’t have and won’t go back there. I can tell when he is ready to trade because we start driving through car lots “just looking.”

My washer should be done and I need to think about something for lunch, leftover grilled chicken for starters. Sometimes I feel like all I do is fix food, clean up the kitchen, then it's time to do it again. Hope you all have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
  • I saw where the CEO of Godfathers passed away this week with the COVID
    nn
    Not much else is happening. I'm going into Battlefield this afternoon to take nephew A's son to the dentist. We will not be getting the kids this week as the oldest boy has a 102 temp. Last week it was the middle child.
    Nephew C sent me a text yesterday asking me not to go to the gym until this whole thing is over. I'm so blessed to have these people in my life. I rode my air bike yesterday It gives both an upper and lower body work out. It is similar to the NU STEP.
    We have been getting an abundance of rain but we needed it. We had thunder and lightening last night and early this morning a heavy rain woke me up. We are having Fall like temperatures this week and I could get used to that.

Jean
    If I had space in the freezer I could prepare meals like your friend does. Sis has the freezer full of food.

-------
    Nothing else going on.
  • Good Morning! It's another cool sunny morning in my neighborhood. I have checked my recipes and been to the grocery store; there seemed to be more masks today. A neighbor a couple houses away is putting a new deck on his house so lots of banging going on.

Ceejay, I’m sorry you won’t get to see the little kids this weekend but you won’t have to worry about catching whatever it is they are passing around. I wish you could share your rain with us, we really need it! Scattered rain showers are predicted for tomorrow but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I need to cut up watermelon and cantaloupe for lunch so better get that done. Hope you all have a nice day and do something you enjoy! ​
  • Good Afternoon! The sun has been in and out all day and it is much cooler today. I wore a jacket this morning to run a couple errands and Bob just came inside to change from shorts to jeans. He is cleaning out the shed to get to the lawn dethatcher (?) a guy wants to borrow. We have had a kitten explosion! Momma #1 had hers on Friday in a junk pile underneath an open deck behind us. Why she didn't go to the enclosed deck next door is beyond me. Momma #2 had hers in the kitty house yesterday. #2 has at least three and they cry up a storm when she comes out to eat. The early summer kitten belongs to #2 we think. He/she keeps trying to get in the kitty house with the rest. He/she will let me pick him/her up and has been inside the sliding doors for a bit, then wants back outside. Ernie isn't too sure but "Baby" tries to love him. I have been doing laundry, dusted, and vacuumed this afternoon! Yesterday we were invited to my stepsister's for lunch. We hadn't seen them since the funeral for her mom in January. They are in a hotspot because there is a prison there but they are like us, wear masks when shopping and social distancing otherwise.

My dryer should be done and ready for the next load so better keep moving. Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday!
  • Not much going on . It's a beautiful day with sun shining ,low humidity and a North wind. I've been working outside.
    I see a few cows out in the pasture next door. Maybe they will come up closer to our side of the fence. I'd like to make a picture of them.
    Will post more later. I started this yesterday and am trying to decide if I want to go vote.
  • Good Morning! It's a beautiful morning in my neighborhood and warmer than yesterday. It is supposed to be in the mid 80s this afternoon and tomorrow. This morning Ernie went to the vet for a glucose check, nails trimmed, ears cleaned out, and more expensive food. I figured we might be looking at $200 range but it was only $58. Because Ernie is so big he travels in a larger carrier and Bob goes along to carry him. We still have to wait in the parking lot but the vet came out to talk to us. All is well except his weight is a bit high at 18#s. Since the SOS store will be open tomorrow, for donations, I have several nylon jackets waiting for the washer, and some nicer clothes I no longer wear to sort through for them. I have lots of greeting cards I have purchased just to have on hand and need to sort/organize those. They have outgrown the original box and I can never find what I am looking for.

Ceejay, you mentioned voting, what was the vote for? I have found it interesting to see voting by mail pros and cons on FB. I especially liked the Florida cat who was notified and it had been dead for 12 years. My stepmom just got her stimulus check and she died in January! Makes me wonder about the people hired for jobs. We have a school vote coming up to extend some sort of tax that renews every so many years. Iowa doesn’t tax food and I think they should because everyone eats! The local paper said they are having trouble finding poll workers so I can imagine how chaotic the presidential election will be. I think people need to vote in person with a photo ID! Absentee voting would be the same, in person or forget it.

My washer is finished so on to the next load. Hope you have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
  • Jean
    Our election was for state officials etc.

Weather has been beautiful. It's a little warmer today but there is a slight south breeze. I've finished the weeding on the patio. Now onto the garden to weed there. It didn't look to bad yesterday and saw a green bell pepper and a few tomatoes. Something has just about eaten the leaves off the eggplant. The asparagus is looking very good.
  • Good Morning! It is a cloudy humid morning in my neighborhood, it's a good thing the sun isn't shining or it would be really miserable. Counting at church this morning balanced in short order but then the computer wouldn't print out the reports. My friend does her one page report first then I do my pages after I have entered the money to the correct person or account. Lucky for us the secretary's computer and her printer worked fine, it just took longer for me to redo my part. One our very generous members gave $25,000 for utilities! He has done that for the last few years. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home and noticed several items I buy have gone up in price. We got our water bill yesterday and it was $81 where usually it runs around $60. Bob called and the reading was for 45 days instead of 30. I have a 9" cake in the oven and sheets in the washer.

Ceejay, I bet the presidential election turns out to be a major mess! I am so sick of the two gals on the local tv calling each other liars! I now understand why my dad said he wore out his mute button! Bob finally mowed and had to go back and bag the grass it was so long. The place where he can dump it was closed so it was fermenting in the back of the pickup for a day. Stinks!

My cake should be about done so need to make the frosting. Hope you enjoy a nice day!
  • Good Afternoon! After lightning, thunder, much needed rain during the night, and a dark gloomy morning the sun has come out and it's very humid and sticky. The air and ceiling fans are back on! We went to church online again, wish we lived closer so we could attend there every Sunday. Next week our own church is supposed to have church in the park. We'll see how that goes with no singing but the band contributing the music and a collection box for money. I have been sorting through greeting cards and will sort again to donate what I know I won't use to the SOS store. I like cards, and used to send a lot of them but not so much any more. Momma cat moved her kittens back into the cat house during the night. Her first spring baby keeps trying to get in too and has "helped" bathe the tiny newborns when momma brings them out on the deck. Makes me nervous! I have rescued more than one and put them back in the house but she took all three back to the woodpile a little while ago.

Maddy turns 17 on Tuesday and we are going over tomorrow night for a birthday supper. We were always at the cabin and made home made ice cream for her birthday. I need to get back to my sorting project. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Afternoon on this hot day
    I pushed mowed what sis was supposed to except for the ditches. I refuse. Think that's where I hurt my hip cause you have to push the mower on a slant and stand below it. I took several breaks but I did get my steps in for the day. It's not that big of a deal to mow, just the ditches. I need to trim some low branches on a couple of trees so I can get closer to the with out losing my cap.
    We had company yesterday afternoon. My nephew C came out and brought the girls. One is 10 and the baby is 17 months. The 17 month old is talking some now. C brought some more plants to put in his flower bed. Gave me instructions to make pictures when they bloom and send it to him. and keep it watered!!!
    We are supposed to have a severe thunderstorm this afternoon, early evening. Any thing to break this heat. I got spoiled last week with the gorgeous weather.
    The organ at church finally gave up the ghost. I offered to let them have mine to use. I haven't learned how to play it and it's just sitting in the way at my nephew A's. I'm not coordinated enough to play.

Have a good afternoon and stay safe from the COVID and stay cool.
  • Looks like the rain is skirting us again but it is overcast this morning.
    I missed a phone call this morning from sis stating that nephew A called an ambulance last night to take him to the doctor. She suspects him to be drinking and told me not to have anything to do with him today. The only way for me to do this is to block him on my phone.
    I trimmed one of the tree's yesterday and it looks a lot better. Now to get the other tree done.
    The neighbors cows have been up next to the fence but have moved back down the pasture. I love country living.
    My small load of whites are finished washing so I'll put them in the dryer. and start my bed sheets. always something to do.
  • Good Afternoon! The sun has been in and out all day long; it is more hot and humid as the day progressed. I ran some errands this morning and had my nails done. Our daily Sioux City newspaper has gone digital on Monday and Tuesday with a recap of those two days on Wednesday. Neither one of us read it online and don't feel like we missed much after reading it today. This afternoon I did some much needed dusting and will vacuum tomorrow. The dryer vent came off the wall yesterday and the laundry room felt like a sauna! My washer and dryer sit on pedestals so a pain to work behind. My hero vacuumed and reattached the hose again. Not sure what is going on with Ernie but he has diarrhea, a puddle yesterday and again this afternoon. He wouldn't eat his tuna fish last night so didn't get his insulin. He did eat the canned this morning but don't think he has touched his hard food at all. I called the vet about 4:30 but haven't been called back. Probably won't until tomorrow now.

Ceejay, there was a major storm south of us on Monday. It was called a redecho but the pictures look like a tornado to me. Where my stepsister’s daughter lives, in Eastern Iowa, is still without power, cell phones, etc. There were pictures of corn fields laying flat, the destruction is so sad! We were very lucky, just dark angry clouds and some rain. Also sad about your nephew. Playing an organ is definitely different than playing the piano. Can you make friends with the cows who come to visit you?

Bob just got home from working on his tractor so guess it is time to think about supper. Enjoy a nice evening!
  • Morning
    I worked in the yard yesterday. It was in the 80's and was really nice. I got a lot done. At least I will not be losing my cap when I go under tree's. Told sis I was going to be like Absalom whose hair got caught on a tree branch and hung himself. (Old Testament Bible story}
    It's cloudy this morning but the rain is skirting us again. I watered the veggie garden and flower beds yesterday so they should be good.
    I made a meatloaf for dinner last night. It was good.
    Today I'm going to be doing laundry and cleaning house.

Jean
    I've never heard of a red echo. When I made the picture of the cow they were close to the fence.but when the saw me they went in the opposite direction.
  • Good Morning! The humidity is hanging on, sun is shining, and the temperature is going up. Thunderstorms are predicted for later this afternoon. Zowie's first soccer game is at 5 so hope it either gets rained out or the rain waits until afterwards. Ernie ate a couple bites of his tuna fish last night so got his insulin. He still isn't peeing as often nor pooping normal. [img]/dir-icon/0/2/frown.icon[/img] I have to pick up gift shop money after lunch then we are counting church money this afternoon. Tomorrow is the free backpack giveaway and we didn't want to get caught in the middle of that. It is by appointment and drive by only so will be interesting. I know the gal in charge has put in many hours shopping and putting together individual bags for specific children. Sunday is our church in the park so will see how that goes. Two more weeks and our real live pastor is supposed to be here.

Ceejay, as I see more pictures of the storm damage in eastern Iowa I just can’t imagine the destruction. It did not made national news so help was slow in coming. County fair animals are going for state showing; I feel bad for the kids raising these animals and knowing what will happen to them. I could never do that. All my farm animals would be pets! Bob says cows are good pets When you mention meatloaf you inspire me to make one. Mine just never turn out as good as they used to.

I need to address some church birthday cards so better get that done. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!