Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2020 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 1 of 12
Go to
  • Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
    With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with our plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
    This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
  • Wednesday - Canada Day (Dominion Day)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Lunch was the leftover half of a pulled pork sandwich. So good. Wish I'd learn to only eat the equivalent of half of a restaurant sandwich. I'm swayed by food portions set by others.

Made three adventures out of isolation. Dropped books off at the library; all returns had been suspended for several months. Had to put them in the night return slot because we weren't allowed inside. A librarian stood at the front door; when a person approached to pick up their ordered books, she'd go inside to return with a paper bag. Just like buying booze at a speakeasy, LOL. Then made it to Dunkin' Donuts to pick up my favorite ground dark roast coffee for home brewing. Then to Trader Joe's for walnuts and almonds. Felt like I'd been out in the world. Everywhere I went folks wore masks and kept a proper social distance.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for completing your 30 day yoga program. Neat to plan around a rainy day.

maryann - Sounds like some pretty thorough spring cleaning.

Karen (karenrn) - Sending supportive thoughts for figuring out the situation for your MIL. We faced the "only want to go home" situation. It's a big step.

curlyjax - Ouch for the mess with two large kids at home.

Penny. - Congrats for dropping into that decade - a great incentive to stay there.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 2 Experience the Difference

No one expects to be able to sit behind the wheel of a car for the very first time and drive perfectly. No one expects to pick up a musical instrument and play it well before taking lessons and practicing. Yet nearly everyone expects to be able to follow a diet immediately, without learning anything new and certainly without practicing dieting skills.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 22.
  • Good news finally- I found another IRA account I forgot about. I'm so used to receiving statements in the mail that I forget I have moved some onto online. I may have to drop off the statement to the accountant, but I'm thrilled to have another little pot of money. Finally going thru paperwork is rewarding me!
    Food remains so so. I am so ready to have an empty nest for a few months- have I said that already I need to get all the junk out of here and regroup- not only food but DD's amazing pile of stuff.
    Karen- that's very wise of you to not go, one family member is plenty and you are checking in by phone. At the end of the day, MIL gets to decide how she wants to live (if she's competent), but she needs to also realize people can't drop everything and come running when she needs something (it doesn't sound like that is going on, but it does with some elders), and the possible consequences of this. Sorry, getting my elder hat on! It's so tough on the family members.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

My shoulder MRI showed some fraying to the tendon and the thickened muscle area from giving myself a frozen shoulder. I have the follow-up appointment to find out what that means today. PT, I guess.

Bill, thanks for the new thread. Your library set up sounds just like mine. I'm just waiting on both books to come in so I can make a pick-up appointment. Lol at the booze bags.

Curly, I'm picturing the pile of your dd's stuff taking over your living room. Not as simple as asking her to move it to her room, then? mini-fridge, microwave, lamp?
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Mom's visit went well. We watched Knives Out on my 60 inch tv and it felt like a movie to her. She has a tiny screen at home. Then I ordered sushi take out and we went to an outdoor AA meeting woman's circle. I have been blessed with my 85 year old mom getting sober at 80. I was proud to have her there.

Up at 5:30 a.m.this morning getting the house ready and the workers are here now. I take for granted how private I am. This home is my sanctuary and I hate having people here - but not enough to do the work myself

Scale persists in hanging onto the two pounds after hours of yard work and a sushi dinner. I do not care. It will all fall away as it has in my experience. For today I will eat the other half of my sushi for lunch ( a rare time I didn't eat everything) and do some writing and reading.

BTW: I have used two more pieces of yard work apparatus: The chainsaw ( pause for you to be impressed) and the GIANT hedge trimmer which was longer than me. DH came home and said you used the new hedge trimmer. which was so heavy I almost fell over several times. I smiled. Then he picked up the one tool I haven't used.
    What is that?
    The hedge trimmer I bought for you because it was light.
    Well then what did I use?
    The hedge topper.

Dh laughed and laughed.

Off to the PT this morning which is probably a good thing.

Wave to all.
  • I'm celebrating that I finished the 30 day yoga program! I am much stronger than when I started and I lost quite a bit of weight during that time, some of which I attribute to more muscles, better breathing, and a more relaxed attitude toward life (even in times of crisis, something that I didn't expect to be tested when I started near the beginning of the year).

Exercise: +25, 1380/1405 minutes for June
  • Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and weight is just moving a little up and a little down as usual. I was going to hike Bell Pass with a pack on today, but my friend emailed just after 3 a.m. (we were both awake, how awful), so we did a shorter hike, but I did wear my backpack. My backpacking buddy and I are going to Flagstaff next week for 2 days of hiking and we'll stay in a motel rather than camp. That will be great to get out of this heat to hike. She has gone up there several times but my thumb has held me back. I started the steroid taper for the tinnitus today. I had to wait until 4 weeks after surgery and today is that day. I am taking 60 mg for 3 days, then 40 mg for 4 days and then 20 mg for a week. Pray for me that my appetite isn't horrendous and that I'm not horribly crabby. I haven't taken steroids for years, so maybe it will be fine. I haven't had an easy time staying on my food plan lately anyway, but for the most part I have. No PT until next week cause I'm doing well and can't start strengthening until then. I'll be doing my exercises 4 times a day at home though.

Mil was not feeling strong yesterday and had a tough time with any PT. Curlyjax, she is mostly competent, but we won't let her go home if she isn't safe. I'm not sure what is in the cards right now, but I think at least rehab and then we'll see. I don't think she is really out of the woods yet. If it comes to a point where she is end of life I will do all I can to take her home and take care of her with help. I'm not thinking we're at that point yet.

GardenerJoy Congratulations for building muscle and losing weight. Being more relaxed is so good too.
    Maryann I laughed out loud reading your post about the hedge trimmer. You must be getting very strong too. Right now I want to move someplace with a milder climate and a large yard with flowers and vegetable garden. I would also like to have a gardener for the times I don't want to garden. This will not be happening, but it sounds good right now.
    Penny I hope PT can get you as good as new.
    Curlyjax Yahoo for finding another pile of money. What a pleasant surprise.
    Bill Won't it be wonderful when we can actually be out and about again without worrying about it. I fear it will be some time. I'm fine with wearing face masks forever (I think).

You all have a great day. I had better go do a set of exercises.
  • Thursday - Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan disappear over the Pacific Ocean (1937)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. It was the first time she's been to our house since March. We all wore masks; marginally socially distanced. She never sat on my lap or next to me to read, for example. She went to every room on every floor to touch everything and reestablish her ownership of the place. We were struck by how much her verbal skills had improved in three months. It's confusing when she can sound like an adult. I had only one new book for her since I haven't been to the library in three months.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Actually, I did have an apple in the afternoon. It's on my plan to finish the apple that DW cuts up her on for the ride home. She left all of it. Beck discourages finishing up the kids' plates, but I plan to do this because it bugs DW so much to toss it. Dinner was dreamy white beans so I'm vegetarian for a day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Also Congrats for completing your June exercise minutes goal.

maryann - Congrats for mastering the hedge topper; now the hedge trimmer will be easy. Sushi for lunch sounds lovely.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you have so thorough a plan for moving forward with your thumb.

curlyjax - Found money is just the best. And since it's an IRA, not certain that you have to chase down your accountant to tell her about it.

Penny. - Ouch for a shoulder issue. I'm impressed that you're so calm about it.

Readers -
    Quote:

One of the reasons this time will be different is because I am going to teach you these skills, and I'm going to teach you how to get yourself to practice them day after day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 22.
  • Ugh, two nights of not sleeping well, probably a mixture of summer and hormones. So glad I don't have to go drive anywhere these days and can take a nap during my lunch time. Food was mostly onplan yesterday until DD asked me to make banana bread for a healthier treat than storebought. So of course I had some too. Tonight's challenge will be eating dinner out with manfriend-I've been craving a burger and we're going to try a new place and eat outside. I think it will finally be sunny all day today. It rained so much one of the smaller hospitals was flooded and they had to temporarily close it.
    Penny-ouch for frozen shoulder, i've heard those are quite painful. DD has a ton of clothes, room decor, makeup etc- all very girly things, and her room is small. She is sloooowly working on it. And she has a hard time getting rid of things, so sometimes I quietly do it for her- you just can't keep everything.
    Gardenerjoy- yay for completing the yoga program!
    Maryann- glad your mom is doing well. Too funny about the hedge topper.
    Karen-great that you have an out of town hike coming up. Good luck with tapering, you will be glad to be done with the pain i'm sure.
    -Bill kids grow so quickly in so many ways. I'm sure she is thrilled to be back at your house.
  • Groceries today. Our county issued a mask regulation yesterday, effective today. We'll be wearing masks in all indoor and outdoor locations where we expect to be within six feet of people we don't live with. That doesn't change my behavior at all, but I'm glad that other people will be expected to behave in the same way in the places where I have to go, like the grocery store.

Exercise: +35, 35/1400 minutes for July
  • Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan and my plan is made for today. I woke up about 2:30 and got up by 3:15 or so. I had plenty of time to do my food plan and my PT exercises before leaving the house at 4:30 to hike Bell Pass with my 20 lb backpack on. I came back and walked Otis and I've been getting some other things done too. I think the prednisone may keep me from taking a nap. Yesterday I felt nervous and anxious, but I think some of it was just my thoughts and situations. I feel pretty fine today. I took it at 4:15 today right after a small bowl of cheerios because it said to take with food. It was 79 at the start and 86 at the end of my hike. I was a sweaty Betty by the time I got back to the car. Mil was transferred to rehab yesterday. I felt so bad because I know most people just hate being there, but I was relieved when I spoke with her. I was worried how she would feel about no visitors and she said, "Maybe it's a blessing because I can do my rehab and get my rest." Whew, miracle of miracles. Then she told me the dinner was delicious. Another miracle. Although I will admit she is not a good cook, so many things would please her. If she does get home before we head north, we may reroute to see her before seeing any one else. Even with masks, and being outdoors, I know there is some risk and the last thing we would want to do is take anything to her.

GardenerJoy I feel the same way, especially here. I do have a mask even while hiking now and put it on when anyone is near at all.
    Curlyjax I don't have any pain. The prednisone is for tinnitus. I will say it isn't helping a bit so far and even seems like it is worse. Even my thumb doesn't have any pain any more.
    Bill I'm so glad you got to spend time with you dgd at your house. I bet she loved being there.
    Maryann I bet that is so nice for you to have these years with your Mom who is now sober. I know I just loved having my Mom in my town for the last four years of her life. We were always in the same state (Washington), but I was so glad we could do lots of things together.

Well, I guess I had better get my shoes on and head to the store soon. I'm taking my car in for an oil change and pre-trip check up and dh will pick me up at noon.

Have a great day!
  • Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Hello from Tahoe. On the spur of the moment I decided to head up to the cabin. I wanted different hikes than my normal, morning 3 mile. I also had a good audiobook to finish so I knew the trip would go quickly. I felt like Karen getting up this morning and taking an 8 mile hike. I am luckier today than her though because I started when it was in the high 60s and ended when it was 72 at 11:30.

I tried an experiment today to test Greger's suggestion to not eat before exercise. I didn't eat breakfast. I just had coffee. My fear was I would Bonk with no energy. Greger says I have plenty of energy stored in the fat in my body. He was right. I had a small protein drink halfway through and did very well. I also am not very hungry after a normal lunch. Good. I can now put to rest the idea that I must "carbo load" for a short hike. I am not an elite athlete and am not setting any record times.

I drove down to old town to pick up a set of my balsamic vinegars to keep up in the cabin. It is crazy busy down there but everybody had a mask on. This is very different than in my hometown where very few people are wearing masks.

DH brought the bikes up last trip so later this evening I am going to ride down to a pretty lake behind the cabin. Life is good.

BBE: Yeah! for having DGD. Don't blink or you will miss so much.
    Curleyjax: I am forbidden to slip anything belonging to DH or DS in the donation box. Drat! I put it in a pile and it disappears. DH puts it in the barn or the ranch house or the shop. I just have to let it go.
    Gardenerjoy: I bet it feels great to get stronger. Really at this stage of life I tell myself it is really about health ( even though I do love to see a lower number.)
  • Friday - A NASA space probe, Deep Impact, hits its comet target as planned (2005)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Visited a real live flesh-and-blood doctor at a brick-and-mortar facility to check out my eyes. It was all carefully choreographed. When I said I'd walk up to the second floor, I was met with horror, "No, use the elevator, they want to see you coming." A touch of feeling unreal. Body temperature was taken by an old fashioned thermometer with a disposable sheath instead of a from-across-the-room laser reader like they had used already in the lobby. The nurse applied an oxygen sensor on my finger. I was annoyed that it only registered 95% when I'm consistently reading 98% at home. However, the blood pressure was so low that she asked if I wanted it to be taken again. Nope. I've had low blood pressure all my life. A doctor once told me that some folks just do. Maybe it means I'll live to be 100. Don't know if that's good news or not.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi, including dinner eaten inside. We were late to dinner because we listened to a Zoom reading of Frederick Douglass' Fourth of July speech, "What to the Slave is the Fourth of July," read by a group of local citizens of all ages and backgrounds. Talk about a reality check. Another quote, "I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I agree, the more masks the better.

maryann - Kudos for doing a long hike before breakfast. I've never tried that.

Karen (karenrn) - Your MIL has a positive attitude there - good for her.

curlyjax - Yay for an occasional burger to nourish the soul. Neat that your DD wants healthier banana bread.

Readers -
    Quote:

This time is going to be different because the Beck Diet for Life Program is different. Here is how: . . .

It teaches you how to satisfy your hunger. Did you know that some foods decrease hunger and cravings and other foods actually increase them? To achieve sustained weight loss, it is not just a matter of calories in, energy out. It's what makes up those calories, because the composition of those calories makes a big difference. Many diets let you select foods that don't allow you to eat in a healthful, well-balanced way. The Think Thin Eating Plans teach you the formula that maximizes fullness and sound nutrition.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 23.

• Dinner outside was lovely, it was so nice to be at a restaurant, and the weather was decent. Manfriend and I ate too much and went for a short walk afterwards, moving pretty slowly It was nice to see him even though I'm not getting any cuddling due to various factors; I think i've slipped firmly into the friend category, ah well. That part of my life will have to be on hold for a while, like many things during this pandemic. Tough to flirt with anyone wearing a mask!
    Today is bank, dump since its closed tomorrow, and continuing to sort out my papers etc. Starting to look at ordering twin XL sheets for college, how exciting! DS doesn't care about all of this as long as its manly type colors so i get to choose. Maryann, have you started looking at all that stuff?
    I have been sitting up in bed for awhile reading and now my back is killing me. More tomorrow!
  • Good morning!

Still on plan and weight is down a little, firmly in the better decade.

I started PT for my shoulder and now need to not forget to do the exercises.

Bill, that is a powerful quote from Frederick Douglass.

Karen, your MIL does sound content with the rehab stay. What a relief for all maybe.

Maryann, your cabin trip sounds sublime! I wish I could zoom off on one of the bikes there too. lol

Curly, you're going to have to work on your Bette Davis eyes so you can flirt with your mask on. Haha!

Joy, yay for a good grocery trip. I go to the giant cheapest store we have and the masking has not been great until the most recent time I shopped. We are mandated to wear them now and only one jerk chose to ignore it. Amazing for that store!