January 2020- South Beach Daily thread

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Hey chicks.

Just stopping by to say that today I was down 5 lbs since Jan 1! whoo-hoo

Debbie, like you, I am finding that I am eating far less. I have almost cut out snacks completely, except for a small SF dessert after dinner. I have been allowing myself a little more healthy fat at lunch (a la keto eating) and think that helps me.

Have a good weekend everyone! We have sun today but are forecast for a storm tomorrow: rain, sleet and snow.So much for the fluffy powder out my window- we had 2 storms of 7-8 inches each in the last week. I have been out on my snow shoes the last few days but this icy mess might shut that down
  • Good afternoon,

Beth you will have to let me know if the book is good, I have been leaning towards KETO but don't want to eliminate healthy carbs so you will have to let me know if it is worth getting. Great that you have lost as well. I am trying to get to smaller portions as well.

Still plugging along and I am still off Tylenol and Motrin and really the ache is not different, pretty sure I was on too long and they lost effectiveness and I couldn't up the amount or risk hurting my kidneys or liver (can't remember which one it affects lol).
  • Good morning chicks!
    Welcome yankee & friend, & wanna!!
    There's a SB keto version on the website & app too. Many love it, but it's a little too restrictive for me.
    I've been at DD2's this week & heading home today. My diet hasn't been great, since most meals I've been sharing with a 15mo & I didn't plan well.
    I'm just hoping for no more gain, once again.
    Nearly a month's gone by & I've made no progress getting back to plan. I'm putting it on my calendar, Mon will be plan & prep, Tues will be Day1 Phase1.
    That's that.
    Have a wonderful weekend all✌
  • I just wanted to remind & share the website that's more than a sales pitch. Lots of good resources here, like the grocery guide, diy meal plans, motivation & more. I always read, read & read more when rebooting.
    Check out the pull down menu & search.
    https://palm.southbeachdiet.com/
  • Thanks for the link, Cenari! I will check it out. (And maybe download the app also.)

I'm happy to be ending the month with my holiday gain undone, now to set about losing another pound or two and maintaining!

FYI I bought and read the new Keto Friendly SB diet book. I have looked at keto quite a bit but, like Cenari said, I would not go full keto. 20 carbs a day does not appeal to me. But the new book incorporates some keto principles into SB, with the idea that a less drastic reduction in carbs will still trigger fat loss. I think the main changes involve the concept of "good fats" and the acknowledgment that some people will need to stay on the old Phase 1 (or P1.5 as we always called it here) in order to not regain their weight. I know we have chatted before about how we all tweak the long term eating plan in order to maintain; for example I really limit grains and fruits all the time.

To bullet point a few of the changes:
    full-fat dairy is good
    full fat meat is good (real bacon, chicken thighs not just breast, higher fat ground beef)
    butter, olive, avocado and coconut oils are best (no canola)
    fewer larger meals are better than many small meals/snacks (no grazing)
    legumes should be eaten in moderation
    the grains/fruits list has been tweaked.
    Stevia, monkfruit and erythritol are the best sweeteners (no Splenda)

Hope everyone is doing well. I can't believe January is ending already!
  • Good evening,

Beth thanks for the bullet list, I think I agree with you all to just incorporate some of the ideas, I cannot do 20 grams of carbs either.

Ceneri thanks for the link, I will take a look.

The beauty of this plan is you can adjust to what works for you.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone
  • Good afternoon and good-bye to January!
    After a couple of sunny and cold days we are looking at a week of snow flurries; I believe the forecast is for 1-2 inches most days next week. At least the days are getting noticeably longer here. December and early January are pretty depressing with the short hours of daylight. And turning the page to February makes me think of spring even though it is a few months off.

Pearlrose, I failed to say the new plan suggests aiming for 50 net carbs while you are trying to lose weight, then 50-100grams for maintenance. The suggestion is to count if you are so inclined (that's me) or stick to the food list if you aren't a "tracker" type person. For the long haul, the new plan is more flexible than the old one, sort of a find-what-works-for-you mindset.

Cenari, how's the progress on the house? Do you have an estimated move in date?
    Pearlrose, how's the knee? I have an ongoing tendon issue in my hand. I just got a cortisone shot to see if it will help.

I've been trying a lot of new recipes lately. Tonight is a turkey, mushroom casserole from Kalyn's site. I cooked a turkey breast earlier this week and this should use up everything that is left.

Hope everyone is having a good end to the month!
  • Good morning chicks!
    One last Jan post a day behind (story of my life...lol).
    I've always done best with finding what works with some flexibility too, Pearlrose.
    Truthfully, I find the keto plan a little scary & drastic. Even though the SB version isn't as extreme. Beth, your summary was right on.
    My husband did Adkins, probably the original keto, years ago, pee strips & all, striving for ketosis. He lost 30#s & has kept it off. I hated it & kept gaining back then.
    Limiting carbs, especially sugar, gets my appetite & cravings in check, making it easier to eat less & healthy. Nothing will convince me I can lose weight any other way. I've looked at WW & know I'd have my points wiped out by 2pm everyday.
    The new house interior was painted this week. It's all light offwhite neutrals. We'll go take a look today. I'm really happy how the exterior looks. We picked the kitchen cabinets & final layout too. We're looking at May for moving in, but it could be done sooner.
    We've had a little snow this week, but it doesn't last long.
    See y'all in the Feb thread✌