2020 Foresight: Maintainers Chat for 2020

You're on Page 7 of 24
Go to
  • Quote: You're kidding, right?
    Most of Canada gets "spring fever" in February. We had a couple of days here where I was outside all day in the sunshine with one less layer, no boots, and no gloves. We all know there will be a couple of more snowfalls but "hope springs eternal" in the Canadian mind this time of year.

Dagmar
  • I lived in western Massachusetts for 11 years, and I learned not to pay any attention to February thaws... Because March was coming... And then April, which was still unpredictable... And now you know why I live in Florida!
  • Quote: I lived in western Massachusetts for 11 years, and I learned not to pay any attention to February thaws... Because March was coming... And then April, which was still unpredictable... And now you know why I live in Florida!
    In Canada we don't have the option of "no snow" anywhere. There's a bit less in the south, where I live, but winter still comes every year. At least we can get out of our houses after a storm without having to call in the military, unlike the east coast. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/armed-...torm-1.4786609

Dagmar
  • As it turns out, plenty of Canadians manage to come down here to escape for the winter months.

Looks like that storm in Newfoundland was quite severe!

We do have winter, but the precipitation this time of year is the "cold rain" variety most of the time. I've seen snow once in the 19 years I've lived down here.

Stay warm, Dagmar!
  • Last cold day. Last cold day. Last cold day. Puleeeze.

Dagmar
  • Dagmar, may you be correct!
    Edited to add: My weather app says it's 10 degrees F in Toronto right now!

It's interesting to me that my digestion has improved so much using the 16/8 Intermittent Fasting. My food choices have changed somewhat, but I think that not having snacks between meals or after dinner in the evening has made a big difference.
  • Interesting to hear you're seeing some improvements with the IF JayEll
    What do you mean by your digestion has improved - did you get indigestion before do you mean?

I'll try not to be too smug on the weather comments (she lied) - beautiful sunny weather late 20's centigrade for late summer/autumn here - is that low 80's??
    I did a 34km (21 miles) coastal walk with the walking club yesterday it was just spectacular
    It's been too hot and too many fires for walking for the last few months, so i'm so excited that i can start to get back in to it again.
  • Did my weigh in for February and reported it to my doctor. He doesn't do much himself any more for my annual physical but I go anyway. It's still free so I may as well get what advice and examination I can from him. I'm up 2 lbs but that was expected. Stress levels are down now and so is the cookie binging. Looking forward to : in March.

Dagmar
  • Ange, I had indigestion, primarily at night. I take antacids (Rolaids) and I had added Pepcid AC, an "H2 blocker," on my doctor's recommendation. But after almost 3 weeks of IF, I don't have as much indigestion. I think snacking in the evenings was the culprit! My "eating window" is 11:30 am to 7:30 pm, and that cutoff leaves plenty of time before I get into bed at 10:30 or so.
  • Quote: after almost 3 weeks of IF, I don't have as much indigestion.
    that's a great change! Well done you!
  • Thanks, Ange!

Here's an interesting fact. In the Minnesota Starvation Study, which studied the effects of insufficient food on young men (Google it if you're unfamiliar), the men were receiving roughly 1600 calories per day. Now granted these were young men, but I have heard of a lot of people on 3FC who think that 1600 calories is a maintenance level! Yet this put the men into what is called "starvation mode" now.

It's no wonder restricting calories leads to hunger, slowed metabolism, and fat gain.
  • Quote: Thanks, Ange!

Here's an interesting fact. In the Minnesota Starvation Study, which studied the effects of insufficient food on young men (Google it if you're unfamiliar), the men were receiving roughly 1600 calories per day. Now granted these were young men, but I have heard of a lot of people on 3FC who think that 1600 calories is a maintenance level! Yet this put the men into what is called "starvation mode" now.

It's no wonder restricting calories leads to hunger, slowed metabolism, and fat gain.
    Young men are usually in a huge growth spurt. If you've ever lived with a young man in the "gangly" stage it can be amazing the number of calories they can consume without seemingly gaining weight. 1600 cals can be a very sensible maintenance level for women of a certain age, size, and activity level. I used 1700 cals per day to lose weight and now maintain on about 2000 per day. I am quite short - 5' 4" - and a lot of people might think I'm overweight at 135 lbs. but this is the easiest number for me to work with. I am slightly hungry some of the time but it's manageable.

Dagmar :
  • The age range was 22 to 33 years. I think that's beyond the "growth spurt" years.

Dagmar, your BMI is in the normal range.
  • Quote: The age range was 22 to 33 years. I think that's beyond the "growth spurt" years.

Dagmar, your BMI is in the normal range.
    Thanks! I did measure my BMI years ago. Now I tend to judge my weight by how my pants fit and the muscle definition in my arms and legs.

As for the men I have known a number of men who can eat everything they want until they hit their early 30's. Then the weight starts to pile on for them, particularly in the stomach region, unless they start to watch their cals. Some sort of metabolic shift I assume.

Dagmar
  • Today I saw a weight on the scale that I haven't seen since last July! Hooray! It was 127.5. My goal is 125 or below. The Trump Diet is working I eat between 2000 and 2300 per day.