Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 05:42 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Hungarian-American mathematician John von Neumann born (1903, Budapest)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercised was shoveling the snow with its accumulated water, CREDIT moi. Only shoveled for an hour, then took a break. It was hard work. My favorite snow shovel broke. When I turned it over it was clearly rusted through and through. If not then, it would have been soon. Presumably, the stores are selling out of shovels to the folks who wait until there's snow on the ground. Not the worst problem in the world; I have a collection of snow shovels in the basement. There's a light dusting on the sidewalks now so the process needs to be repeated.

Eating was OKish, CREDIT moi. Not much time to snack when there's work to be done. DW served dreamy white beans for dinner - our go-to cold weather dish. For lunch, I finished off the turkey, graciously splitting it with DW despite my desire to stack on an unreasonable amount just for myself.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Hospital drugs do seem to often be the source of issues. Glad your MIL seems better.

maryann - Welcome back to school for those difficult weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, hunger is a good sign that you're not over eating.

curlyjax - I agree; shoveling snow is a good motivator to get physically in shape.

Penny. - I'm a fan of chickpeas so chickpea stew sounds terrific.

CJZee - Thanks for the reminder that sticking to the plan helps with . . . sticking to the plan.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how: . . .

Relax your rules for others.

To relax your rules for other people, do the following: . . .

o Change "should" or "shouldn't" to "It's realistic to expect that ..."
- Other people should always be perfect become It's realistic to expect that other people will make mistakes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 246.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Most schools are cancelled today again although the storm seems to mostly over, i guess snowing a little bit for a few hours. DS is delighted, and since he’s a senior he won’t have to make up snow days at the end of the year either (their year ends earlier than everyone else). I’m letting him sleep in until I’m ready to shovel out
I did have some planned for dessert yesterday but I resisted getting into more. I bought some stocking stuffers earlier than usual since I won’t be able to later and its going to be hard to resist the chocolate but I must! I tried a bit of journaling last night and that helped with both loneliness and not eating more.
Gardenerjoy- I usually plan my dinners before shopping too, and as you say the lunch and breakfast don’t vary much. I do need to plan snacks better though, and think about the balance of starch/carbs during the day-and stay on plan.
Well, better get going and tackle the snow. I hope it isn't a super snowy winter!

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-03-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #18  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a great day and food was on plan. Weight is very slowly moving down. When I got to Camelback to meet my friends and hike we all thought, "What are we doing, we aren't in the mood." But we did it anyway and like always were glad we did. The added bonus was the Christmas tree at the top decorated with bird friendly ornaments. Today I'm going to hike Bell Pass and I have a hair appointment in the afternoon. I have a good novel I'm listening too that will get me exercising so that I can listen to it. It's from the library, so my time is not unlimited and I mostly only listen while exercising. My brother and sister in law are leaving this morning and I'll be heading to Tucson tomorrow to help my friend for a few days again.

Curlyjax I do a weekly plan (mostly) and then a daily plan that may change some from the weekly plan. I do mine in the morning only because I have the time then. On my plan I write down what I will eat each meal and snacks. If it isn't on the plan I don't eat it (except that once in awhile I do). While I'm doing my plan I assess the day before. In addition to the food, there are questions such: did I drink 64 oz of water, get at least 7 hours of sleep, pay attention to my hunger scale so that I didn't overeat. This month I am trying to be more mindful of my habit tracker so that I can see what percentage of time I am actually doing what I need to do and how it relates to my weight. It really only takes a few minutes each day. This week I didn't really complete a weekly plan because I'll be gone a few days. On those days I will write a daily plan, but dinner might say "Best choice and only eat until satisfied".
Bill That snow shoveling sounds like a lot of work. Be careful.
CJZee I think looking at weight loss in ten pound increments is a great idea. Have a great time on your road trip.
Penny Chickpea stew sounds good to me too. Weight coming down is such a good feeling.
GardenerJoy Sounds like a busy week. Yes, anesthesia can certainly cause some problems especially for older adults.
Maryann I hope your first day back to school after your long weekend was smoother than expected and anxiety resolved. I had some anxiety yesterday too. I was a little anxious about our hike even though I had done it only one week before and anxious about the gals coming in the afternoon. I hate that feeling.

I've already made my food plan for the day. Now I need to take a photo of it and an inspirational quote along with a green check mark to say I was on plan yesterday and text it to my PNP accountability group, which is the gals I meet with on Saturday morning. They have become friends I enjoy and working together to stay accountable and they have been an added bonus to being in this group. I guess it takes two villages and myself to keep me on track.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

I'm going out to lunch with a friend at a black-owned, vegan friendly, bake shop that is quite famous around here: https://sweetartstl.com/ Somehow, this is the first time that I'm going.

It's taking some work to come up with a plan of what to eat there. I want the vegan burger. And I want a cupcake. But that's way too much bakery carb for me (I could skip the burger bun, I suppose, but that's not what I want). They have a special price on cupcakes today, so I'm going with alice.walker’s so fresh & so clean bowl for my main dish. And, I'll bring the cupcake home for an afternoon snack. I don't need it as part of lunch.

Exercise: +35, 75/1200 minutes for December
Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #20  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

I successfully made pizza for the family and did not eat any. My chickpea stew is pretty good. Back to the yoga class today.

CJZee, the road trip sounds fun!

Bill, credit for the workout. It does sound like a strenuous task.

Karen, laughed at the "what are we even doing?" comment. Credit for pushing through it, and I love the decorated tree at the top.

Curly, do you get another day off from work then?

Joy, the bakery sounds great! It would be hard not to splurge, so good job planning ahead.

Last edited by Penny.; 12-03-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Even though I'm not super low carb (I was at one time), I do notice that when I keep the carbs down I'm not so hungry. I did pretty good today because of that, although I was again somewhat crazy trying to get ready for this trip. It's only going to be a week or so, but somehow DH always decides at the very last minute we have to finish up various projects we (he) have been avoiding for weeks. I usually go along with it because ... well, at least the projects are getting done, haha.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

School week started well once the kids came. It always seems to be that way. I’m like a conductor with performance anxiety. I was observed by some new teachers today. I deliberately did some complicated discussion structures that really force the kids to think and talk. It takes a lot of time but the students have to really think instead of nod their head and say “I agree.” It went very well and the master teacher gave me a hug with a ton of positive feedback. Felt good.

I am on a Dec challenge in WW and have three great days.

Totally beat so I’ll sign off early. Looked through everyone’s post and proud we are all fighting the good fight.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:17 AM   #23  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Lakota Indian Chief Crazy Horse born (1849, Rapid City, SD)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - More shoveling for exercise, CREDIT moi - maybe another six inches. This was easier snow since we'd removed the water-soaked snow yesterday. Began the winter tradition of chatting with our neighbors that doesn't happen so often in the warm days when we all go about our business. I used another shovel from the basement in place of the one that I broke. I have that old-fashioned feeling in my gut that things should last forever.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was salmon grilled outside after the snow was swiped from the grill. DW says that we need more propane so I'll add that to my to-do list that's getting a little crowded. Procrastination doesn't do much for whittling down the items that need to get done. Big deal was agreeing that the leftover stuffing from Thanksgiving should be given to the worms. I hate throwing away food, but stuffing is mostly cornbread - unneeded carbs.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Have to admit that I'm glad that your Sweetart bakery isn't nearby. I'm a sucker for the smells coming from a bakery.

maryann - So neat that you're able to get your kids to think. And then to talk in a room full of observing teachers. Kudos.

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion of bird friendly ornaments on a tree atop Camelback. Someone had to carry that tree up there.

curlyjax - Glad that you DS enjoyed a day without school that doesn't need to be made up. Maybe someday we'll have schools that kids will miss if they can't go.

Penny. - Kudos for not eating pizza right in front of you. Homemade even.

CJZee - Yay for completing projects - however inconvenient the timetable.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

- Other people should always read my mind to It's realistic to expect that other people won't know what I want or need unless I tell them.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #24  

The roads were terrible in the morning yesterday but all went well. Time to get used to winter driving again! I did have a dessert at lunch but it was sort of planned, and nothing in the evening. I’m supposed to be picking up more at night in prep for my surgery but that doesn’t seem to be happening, I guess this weekend will be a whirlwind of activity.
My 70 year old neighbors called and offered to help during my recovery which is very sweet, they are the best! I am taking up people on their offers of food for sure, and hopefully some of my older friends can visit during the day since they are retired.
I just got sidetracked by watching on youtube “David Attenborough narrating clubbing in the wild”. It sounds exactly like him!
Karen- thanks for planning feedback!

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-04-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #25  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan and I did a moderate hike for exercise. Weight is down .2. It sure goes up more quickly than it comes down. It was so funny at my hair appointment. My hair dresser asked, "Where are my cookies?" I take some to her, but I don't bake this early. I reassured her that I would be bringing them on the 13th or 14th. I will admit I make some pretty darned good Christmas treats. This morning dh will take Otis to daycare and then I'll get packed and leave for Tucson. I won't get any specific exercise today, but we will go to the gym on Thursday and Friday. Last time I was there I lost weight, so I intend to do the same by eating small portions of healthy food.

Bill I hate the throw away food too, but I'd rather do that than keep something too long and get sick. With two people sometimes it just happens even with the best planning.
Maryann It sounds like you had a really good day at school and I'm sure the new teachers were really impressed. Good for you for being an inspiration for them.
CJZee I'm glad the projects are getting done and that you have patience with dh. Much better than the projects not getting done.
Penny Passing up pizza is admirable!
GardenerJoy How was lunch? I'm not usually a chocolate lover, but the brownies looked delicious.
Curlyjax I hope you don't have a super snowy winter too! I just checked the temperature for your area and it looks darned cold to me.

I may or may not be posting the next couple of days. If not have a great rest of the week.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #26  
Green Tomatoes

The cupcake was good, but not nearly as good as the amazing salad that was served my entree! Here's something that I want to integrate into my identity: I am a person who appreciates salad more than dessert.

We're spending the night at MiL's house after her procedure today. Now that we know that anesthesia causes problems, we want her to have someone in the house for the first 24 hours. Tomorrow will be a busy day. I'll start of out-of-town, go to a matinee of Wicked, and book club that night. Food during this period is going to be tough. I'm bringing veggies, cabbage salad, and apples so that I have some things to help me make bad meals better.

Exercise: +30, 75/1200 minutes for December

maryann: I love your teaching style!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 12-04-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning Coaches.

Affirmation today is from gardenerjoy: I am a person who loves salad more than dessert.

I want to exercise like Karen and BBE - either shoveling six inches of snow or climbing mountains. Neither available in Central Valley this morning

Weight Three pounds below ticker which feels like momentum. I have a big weekend planned but I want to stay the course so I build resistance muscles today.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #28  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is down a smidge.

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 12-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Physicist and philosopher Werner Heisenberg born (1901, Würzburg, Germany)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (4 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. That included sledding in a local park down a wonderful hill that began steep, then flattened, then was steep before the runout. She loved it. Walked back up the hill a dozen times without complaint. DW felt pretty banged up when she went down on the thin plastic sled instead of the fat blown-up snow tube.

Dinner was a potluck before our reading group discussed Walden by Henry David Thoreau, a book that'd I'd avoided reading for years but finally succumbed to be able to discuss it. The secret to reading Walden is to skip the first chapter, Economy. The rest is the Thoreau one expected. I had to overcome my prejudice about a guy who declared he lived in the wilderness who walked a mile and a half to his mother's home regularly to do his laundry and for occasional meals. But, I only had one serving, CREDIT moi, but several oatmeal raisin cookies that had been baked by a friend who knew that I was a big fan.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - I, too, would like to achieve, "I am a person who appreciates salad more than dessert."

maryann - Our newspapers said that in Twin Peaks, California the snow was stacked three feet deep. Maybe they'd let you visit to help shovel, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - A diet plan in one phrase, "eating small portions of healthy food."

curlyjax - Kudos for accepting help - sometimes difficult to do.

Penny. - A smidge is in the right direction.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

- Other people should always be grateful to It's realistic to expect that not everyone will be as appreciative as I'd like them to be.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:54 AM   #30  

Ugh, didn’t do so well with sweets, I broke down and got into some holiday chocolate. It’s hard to hide it from myself Feeling so lazy/tired at night. Oh well, onwards.
Now that i’m walking around in between client appts, I need to find some kind of shoe-boot for the winter. I don’t like wearing boots all day, my feet get sweaty, and yet the sidewalks aren’t always cleared off enough for sneakers, esp. In the am.
Maryann: you are welcome to come shovel snow anytime!
Gardenerjoy- love your new identity idea.
Karen- have a great time in Tucson. I am very envious of your temps!
Penny- keep up the good work!
Bill-I haven’t read Walden either, thanks for the idea of skipping first chapter. Maybe when i’m retired I’ll get to it.

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-05-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Closed Thread