Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 1 of 12
Go to
  • Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
    With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
    This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
  • Sunday - R.I.P. Martha, the last passenger pigeon (1914, the Cincinnati Zoo)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Celebrated a friend's 90th birthday at his party with some fifty of his friends. He was marching about in full control of his faculties having played three sets of tennis that morning. I can only hope to be in that shape to get to that age.

Dinner was the walk-around appetizers at the party. At one point I asked the lady-dressed-in-black to stop walking her plate near me. That slowed me down a bit. But I only get a good enough for my efforts. I knew a bunch of folks at the party and had great conversations with them all. By-the-by, I was [blush] fully dressed at the party.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Thanks for the reminder that the Beck path includes having options. It's not a cult.

maryann - Love the notion of picking volunteer watermelons. Glad you don't take it for granted.

Karen (karenrn) - Your Phit n Phat group sounds really helpful as well as fun.

curlyjax - Happy moving in day with your DD. Congrats for lasting the summer together.

Penny. - Had to go goole Banneton Proofing Basket but skipped the YouTube videos. [Blush] - can see how hard it is for your kids to keep up with that mind.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 33 Eliminate Emotional Eating

Use Mindset Techniques
    Apply the same kind of thinking techniques you previously learned to combat emotional eating: . . .

Stand firm. Tell yourself you're absolutely not going to eat just because you're distressed. Remind yourself that you don't want to strengthen your giving-in muscle and weaken your resistance muscle by straying from your food plan. Think about how eating at this point will undermine your confidence in your ability to stick with your diet.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 228.
  • Good morning, Coaches.

OP yesterday and I followed through with the gym doing bike and Pilates. The plan is to swim today. I treated myself to a lunch of salmon sashimi. Delish.

I finished my Penny book. It was ok. I need recommendations if anybody has some.

Karen: neat that you are keeping up with P&P. It sounds like some good support.
    BBE: Thanks again for rolling over the post to another month.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

My sourdough bread is in their proofing baskets in the fridge, from over night still. I really need to try a different recipe because this one is ridiculously difficult to work.

Today's challange is a bbq party at a friend's but "socializing is about the people, not the food."

Bill, thanks for keeping the thread rolling. The 90yo friend does sound like life goals achieved.

Maryann, credit for another on plan day. Very cool that watermelons grew themselves for you.

Karen, hanging out with the PnP friends sounds fun and makes it easy to stay on plan with like minded company.

Curly, sounds like a busy weekend. Good thing you get an extra day with the holiday.

Joy, kudos on another month of meeting your exercise goal!
  • Sunday check-in! Somehow my quiet Sundays make it harder for me to get around to posting.

I need to get some groceries, today. I think I'll go right after lunch to reduce the temptations. I already have what I need for a bit of a special Labor Day meal. So, I will ignore all the things at the grocery store that call to me as necessary for a holiday. Except, maybe, watermelon since maryann mentioned it and that fits easily into my plan.

Exercise: +30, 1100/1100 minutes for August
  • I'm in Chicago now, planning to go tomorrow to the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. It is really really crowded here, partly because of the holiday weekend I am sure. I'm having a lot of pain in my hip and leg, so it's sort of putting a damper on walking around the city and driving is a nightmare. There is no place to park that we can figure out. Luckily, our friends have bought us some stickers for our car window when we are in the zone where their apartment is located, so we have just left the car there and are using Uber mostly.

I have been eating modestly, one meal out per day and mostly fruit and cheese for dinner back at our free apartment. Sadly, my DH thought it would be great to buy a huge bag of trail mix which I have mixed into some yogurt. I'm trying to avoid eating it altogether, but have been unsuccessful. He also bought ice cream, which I am happy to say I have totally avoided. One night, we got in quite late and I just decided to skip dinner altogether, so credit me. I wish there was a scale in this apartment. I know I am eating more calories than I did back home, but not too bad I think. (I hope.)

• Good morning coaches,

Another on plan day for me yesterday and weight is inching down . . . down to where it was a ten days ago, but still down. I also didn't plan for any drinks and didn't have any, which is big for me. As my friend and I said to one another, if we just get past the bewitching hour, about 5 p.m., we are just fine. It doesn't help that dh has a couple of light beers almost every day, so I always have a drinking buddy if I want one. However, when I'm not having a drink I realize I can't really tell that he has since it really isn't much alcohol and he can afford the calories better than I can. Today I did my monthly assessment from PNP, and set my monthly goals. I haven't done a monthly assessment except about once. I did lose 3.6 pounds for the month, so I am happy with that. Today's exercise has been housework. I've done a thorough vacuuming of all the floors so far. I may get a little more done and have recommitted to an hour a day of housework. I am so frigging lazy that when I go to the gym or whatever, I feel like I have done enough. Not hardly. I can do this. It will soon be company time again and I will be glad to have the house in good shape rather than do a Spring cleaning in the Fall. As I've told others, if you walked in to my home you would say it looks very neat and clean . . . but I know it could use more thorough cleaning. So the goals for September include writing my food plan each day and following as well as possible, one hour of housework a day (weekdays anyway) and strength training 2x/week. You all know I've had those goals before, but what the heck.

GardenerJoy What will the special Labor Day meal include? I'm always looking for ideas.
    Penny Well that is a bit of a time consuming recipe, isn't it.
    Maryann You're doing so well with lots of different kinds of exercise. Good for you. The sashimi sounds delicious!
    Bill Yes, thanks for keeping us on track. Wow, wouldn't we all aspire to be like your friend. I keep hoping if I keep doing things I will be able to keep doing things.

Oh, one more thing. Today I'm seeing Blinded by the Light. Sounds like another good one.

Waving to Curlyjax, Beth and CJZee!
  • Monday - Labor Day
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi. She pointed out the August Lilies in white bloom, "Misnamed for around here; they always bloom in September." We passed some fall gardens that were just coming into their glory. Yay for seasons.

Eating was OK. I didn't eat too much at fellowship hour because there wasn't much of interest offered. I, of course, went off wondering if I can take credit for not eating what isn't there. Dinner on the patio of leftover grilled salmon, spinach, and yet-another garden fresh tomato salad. Went inside for the cantaloupe for dessert - even I had to admit that it was a tad chilly.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Watermelon is Labor Day approved. Hard to figure out why there are any calories in watermelon at all. I love the stuff.

maryann - Drooling over your salmon sashimi for lunch.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for doing your monthly assessment from PNP as well as for planning to not have a drink and staying that plan.

Penny. - Thanks for "socializing is about the people, not the food." Would seem like a BBQ would be easy for a vegetarian since there'd be nothing to eat.

CJZee - The Chicago Museum of Science and Industry is just the best. What a HUGE place. Kudos for skipping dinner.

Readers -
    Quote:

Use Mindset Techniques
    Apply the same kind of thinking techniques you previously learned to combat emotional eating: . . .

Don't give yourself a choice. Once you say to yourself with conviction, NO CHOICE ... I"m definitely not going to eat,, you'll stop struggling. You will struggle, though, if you waver and say to yourself, I hate feeling like this ... I don't know if I can stand not eating.

• Happy Labor Day to the USians!

I'm mostly working today -- a meeting with a friend to draft a presentation, tweaking a draft of a public statement, writing a mass email.

But, we've got a traditional-style Labor Day supper. Here's the menu for karenrn -- grilled chicken thighs, homemade potato salad (with more mustard & vinegar than mayo), tossed salad. I will also have a frosty adult beverage -- I've got that down to a few times a year, so I enjoy it on special occasions.

Exercise: +35, 35/1100 minutes for September
  • Good morning coaches,

I'm back from walking Otis and planning more housework for my exercise today. I did get a lot done yesterday. Yesterday was an on plan day with no alcohol, but portions were slightly larger than Weight is up a smidge. I will really concentrate on drinking all my water and eating only until satisfied today. I loved the movie Blinded by the Light. Of the three I saw this week, I thought it was the best. Great music and a great story too.

Bill I think you can take credit whenever you want to. The more credit the better.
    CJZee I never have a problem with having things in the house I don't want to eat because my husband will only go to the store if his life depends upon it. Or almost. I guess that's a good thing, especially since I don't mind going to the store at all. In fact I like grocery shopping.
    Enjoy the museum today.

Okay on to making my food plan for the day and other plans too.

• Good Morning, Coaches.

Grateful for my bonus Monday but still woke up feeling a little blue. OP yesterday and I swam with the boys. I am going to take today off from exercise except maybe a walk. I listened to my hypnosis session and did not overeat sugar.

Correcting papers and starting the application process with DS is on the agenda.

Karen: I saw Bennett’s War yesterday. Predictable but a nice twist on the buddy flick with the buddy being Iranian in a Midwest town.
    BBE: Here come the honeydews in our field.
    Penny: You have me thinking about making the pizza dough recipe that was so successful for me. I’ve been too lazy.
    CZ: I know that traffic. I was there during a festival and I totally lost my cool.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget with trying out the sourdough loaves I made. Oh my goodness so delicious! The flavor and crust are perfect. I just have to work on shaping better so the dough doesn't relax out into a squaty loaf. Weight is up.

The bbq was nice. They had veggie sausages and we brought a teriyaki noodle dish.

Karen, an hour of house cleaning daily sounds like a very clean house will be achieved.

Maryann, I hope the sadness dissipates. Enjoy your extra day off! Mmmm your homemade pizza crust sounds good.

Bill, credit indeed! It's nice when the temptations aren't involved.

CJ, enjoy the museum! I hope the hip pain calms down.

Joy, that sounds like a delicious plan for labor day eating. Enjoy the cocktail!
  • Hi all,

I didn't make good decisions at either of our weekend parties--but forward I go. Had fresh tomatoes (picked one from our garden) broiled with parm cheese and basil for dinner--that was fantastic.

cjzee: If you need to drive somewhere, use Spothero. It does a good job of finding reasonably priced parking. Some places, though, just don't have reasonably priced parking downtown. I hope you enjoyed the Museum of Science & Industry--it's one of my favorite places. The Art Institute is amazing, if you're interested in art museums. There are only a few art museums I've ever been to that I liked more (think the Louvre and the Met). Hope you're having a great time!

DH is going to be gone for the next week--there's no food in the house, so that's basically a good thing--I can't make super bad decisions when there's nothing to eat.

G'night all.

--Beth
  • Tuesday - U.S. Viking 2 lands on Mars to take 1st close-up, color photographs (1976)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just got the email that some Florida relatives feel that they're enough inland to be safe from Hurricane Dorian. Sending best wishes to all the folks in the Bahamas who've been hit hard and all those still in the path. Looks like a real beast.

We got 1.5 inches of rain in two hours - a Noah's Ark deluge. Was told that it wasn't Dorian related, which makes sense because it came straight down. Our basement wasn't flooded - my metric for terrible rain. Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, with a cuke with yogurt and cumin salad with dinner. Evening snack was the watermelon purchased at Drumlin Farm a few days ago. It had seeds!!! And I wasn't outside to spit them out like I did as a kid. I don't know if kids know how to do that anymore.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your Labor-day supper looks great. Chicken thighs can be so juicy.

maryann - Now you have me drooling for honeydews. Kudos for getting in a swim.

Karen (karenrn) - Blinded by the Light looks like a lot of great music; adding it to my list. Glad that your trainer, Otis, got you out for a walk.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Just what I need today, "but forward I go."

Penny. - Neat host to provide veggie sausages. Fresh sourdough bread sounds amazing.

Readers -
    Quote:

Use Mindset Techniques

Imagine the aftermath of giving in. Visualize eating. How long does the pleasure of eating really last? Now, imagine the rest of the picture. Remind yourself of how many times in your life (dozens? hundreds more?) you promised yourself you weren't going to stray from a diet. See yourself getting more and more heavy-hearted, discouraged, disappointed in yourself. See how bad you feel that you gave in. Pause for a moment. Now that you've seen the whole picture, which seems better: eating or not eating?

• Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was on plan including eating only until satisfied. It doesn't seem difficult to do at all if I just stay really mindful as I'm eating. I did a thorough cleaning of the office and then went to a movie while dh was at the golf course practicing. Yesterday I saw Fiddler: A Miracle of Miracles which was a documentary about Fiddler on the Roof. It was very good although I'm sure it wouldn't appeal to everyone. The movies have been on sale this week and thru Wednesday, only $5.

Bill The way the storm has stalled over the Bahamas seems just horrendous. I'm glad your relatives feel they will be okay. I have a cousin and her family in Savanah. They have evacuated to stay with friends.
    Beth Forward is the only way to go. The quicker we get back on track the better of course.
    Penny I'm not sure your sourdough bread would be safe in my house. Especially if I had a cube of butter to go along with it.
    Maryann I don't see Bennett's War playing here. I hope the blues have passed and good for you for keeping the sugar in check.
    GardenerJoy Potato salad sounds especially good. I haven't made any in such a long time. I'm weird and I like mine with sweet pickles. That's the way my Mom made it.
    CJZee Trying to drive and park in Chicago sounds horrible to me. I've only been to Chicago once for my nephew's wedding. I loved the city, but we stayed near downtown and didn't drive at all. I hope your hip is better.

Have a great day everybody. I'm going to do some strength training today.