Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 6 of 13
Go to
  • Quick wave. I have got to get to work a little early today. Indulged in ice cream after waiting 10 minutes in line to buy DD some. Other than that eating was on plan.
    Penny- the plastic bag is the type you can bring into a football stadium- its cute. It does however stink of plastic which I didn’t think through!
    CJZee- awesome that you met your hubby online! I bet you will be able to make some plans to keep you on plan. I do find I do better when i’m at least aware and thinking about what i’m eating, which you are.
  • CJZee: I would be nervous leaving my routine for a long period. When this has been the case for me I packed my scale and took it with me. Daily weight checking really helped.

Curleyjax: quick wave as you start yr week.

BBE: What is the class?

Food OP yesterday despite some rollercoaster emotions at work. I have been assigned enormous classes (39) with large numbers of spec Ed kids and little help. I have really prayed for guidance. I put in an application for another position. Maybe that will help me. But that still leaves all those kids in those ridiculous sized classes.

So what I can do today is stay in my lane and teach what I know works. Tomorrow will take care of itself. I will practice good self care until more of what I am suppose to do will be revealed.

I will also pause to appreciate today is the last first day of a new high school year for my son (sob!)
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, with a 6.3 mile walk to return books to the library, and weight is holding.

I've been reading up on how to make sourdough bread and the baby starters are on day six of their lives: wheat and rye. I might give it a try on day 10.

CJ, Beck uses CBT. The tools definitely helped me.

Bill, the meal and the setting sounds perfect.

Maryann, that does sound like a recipe for stress and difficult progress. I hope you get your transfer request.

Curly, have a great day at work!

Joy, I hope all went as planned with shopping.
  • Today's challenge is a to-do list with at least one item that I suspect might be cancelled at the last minute. It always seems to throw me for a loop when my plan for the day doesn't work as written. But, this change won't impact my food plan at all, so I'm going to focus on implementing that part of the plan even if the rest of the day doesn't go the way I expect.

Exercise: +40, 425/1100 minutes for August
  • Bill - years ago I lived in the Berkshires, which is a pretty area, but I love the history of eastern Massachusetts. What type of course are you working on?

Curlyjax - I think you are right about being aware of what you’re eating. I think calorie counting has really helped me. I usually do it on the computer, but I just downloaded MyNetDiary (which is what I have been using) onto my phone for this trip.

Maryann - I have been weighing daily. I know weighing daily freaks some people out, the ups and downs. But, for me, I like the constant feedback. However, I would never have thought about taking a scale with me. I can’t believe how may kids are in your class!

Penny - sourdough bread is really good! You are so talented.

GardenerJoy - when I was working in the “real world” we had a saying - Plan your work, and work your plan. That is what I always think of when I read your posts.

I have been madly preparing for this trip. I’m pretty stressed out. Plus my hip and leg really bothered me today. I wonder if it’s in reaction to the stress or whether I slightly injured something when I was at the gym yesterday. Also, my DH is on his way home, he probably will get here Thursday (he’s driving). I’ve got to get rid of all these boxes in my living room that have mats and frames and stuff in them that I have been using for my art. Arghghghghgh!!

• Wednesday - Appalachian Trail formally completed, 2,000 miles Georgia to Maine (1937)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was lifting a HUGE plant in a ceramic planter from a friend's car to store at our house for a plant sale that DW supports that will happen in a month. It was a big deal because it was tall enough to get caught in the vines over the trellis to the back yard. I struggled. In addition, the planter was cracked and I was told to be extra careful. I have no idea how a cracked planter is going to be fixed, or whether it's really a candidate for a sale. Fortunately, not my business; I was merely the hired donkey.

The course I'm teaching with my friend is about the new economy that includes AirBnB, Facebook, Lyft and the like. New companies that have nearly instantly appeared in the economy that move billions of dollars and affect millions of people. Some of this is good, some not so much. But it's not clear what government entities should help with regulations that keep the competition level yet doesn't hinder progress. Some smart folks predict that all companies that remain in business will have a strong digital presence or lose to those that do. Lots of stuff is happening.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for isolating your eating from changes to your day's plan.

maryann - Good luck to your DS moving forward in high school. Yep, 39 is a HUGE class.

curlyjax - It's a challenge to avoid ice cream after a ten minute wait.

Penny. - Love the thought of your dough starters just perking away.

CJZee - Ouch for all the stress in your life right now. Keep the faith that you can pull it all together.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 32 Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

Tell yourself, When I get on the scale, I might be heavier ... That's okay, I planned to gain a little weight ... As soon as I get home, I'll have more control over my food and my environment, and I'll lose it again. Make your trip home your symbolic transition from vacation eating to dieting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 225.
  • I changed dinner plans at the last minute to accomodate a request for Paneras from DD. I ate half a sandwich and a side of bread, and saved the other half for lunch today, and had no sweets. I was able to stay on task partly because I went over to a friends house.
    Tonight i’m going to a party at my old job which I had arranged before I left. I am planning to eat a piece of cake, but will be careful with the other things.
    I am getting more used to my new job and liking it. It really helps to have the weather be better, I think I was partially exhausted from walking around in the heat. And yesterday I met with some great elders, one of whom reminisced about dating lots of soldiers during WW2. Such interesting stories these folks have!
    Maryann-wow that is a lot of kids, I had no idea classes could be that many.
    Penny- I love the idea of baby starters
    CJZee- I forget when you leave for your trip. Good luck with picking up!
    Bill-that course sounds fascinating! That planter sounds like it will be a challenge for a would be buyer.
    Gardenerjoy-hope the day went well.
  • Good morning all,
    I’m back in Mammoth after 8 1/2 days in the backcountry. 86+ miles and too much elevation gain to count. The weather, scenery, and people were spectacular. Coming down the south side of Muir Pass very intimidating and scary. My friend and I did great, but decided shorter and lower elevation trips are in our future. I’ve only got my phone for 10 days or so until I go home, so no personals probably, but I think I read all your posts and am thinking of all of you. As soon as we eat breakfast at 6, we will both be on the road. I will drive over Tioga Pass thru Yosemite to cousin Colleen’s. Oh poor appetite at elevation, my jeans that were tight are now lose. The goal is to hold that loss.
  • Today's challenge is the cleaning crew who shows up any time between 10am and 1pm, which makes lunch hard to plan. For a long time, I did carry-outs from a fast food place as a treat for us, but we've given that up (yay!) and now that makes lunch on Cleaning Crew Day a bit strange. Still, I have a plan and I'll just follow it. It will work, even if I'm very hungry when I get to implement it.

Exercise: +40, 465/1100 minutes for August

BillBlueEyes: interesting course! I've been wondering lately if the Lyft and Uber model is ultimately meant to be profitable when we have self-driving cars. Like, Netflix was a DVD company for several years, but all along the vision was to be a streaming company when the internet got fast enough for that to be feasible for more people.

maryann: first day of school is happening in our region this week -- I'm really appreciating teachers!

karenrn: welcome back from the wilderness!
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan with a cycling class, and weight is holding.

Karen, good to read your check-in. I lost my appetite at the higher elevation of Yellowstone and it is very strange.

Bill, have a great day with DGD.

CJee, I've thought about buying a mini travel scale but haven't yet. Good idea to put the nutrition tracker on your phone.

Curly, I'm glad the new job is feeling easier.
  • Thursday - Full Moon
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Exercise was chase the (3.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. The planned long outdoor time was stopped by rain that turned out to be a brief shower. In the afternoon, we got to a kids' sprinkler park and a climbing park. She does a mixture of playing well with another kid and then wanting to play alone. In this case, we ended up with a bummed out little girl who wanted to keep playing together when the DGD didn't. Such adult-like interactions at such a young age.

Eating was not up to par; I had too many snacks in the evening when I was avoiding getting something done. Procrastination is an issue; it's a double issue if eating is what I do to avoid acknowledging it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for handling an appointment with a range of arrival times.

Karen (karenrn) - Welcome back. 86+ miles is a lot of hiking. Muir Pass does look spectacular.

curlyjax - Half a sandwich is a good compromise for Panera's.

Penny. - Cycling class is such good exercise.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 32 Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

Plan what you're going to eat for the rest of the day as well as tomorrow. Many dieters try to quickly undo their weight gain by overly restricting their eating when they return. Avoid this temptation because it will put you at risk for overeating within a few days. Make sure to reestablish your helpful eating behaviors, such as eating everything slowly and while sitting down, planning your meal in writing the night before, and monitoring everything you eat. Also, call your diet coach as soon as you get home.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 225.
  • Yesterday was much better. I started with all students in groups hand drawing maps of the world. I told them US History is really just a part of world history and unless we understand our place in the world we really can’t understand why things happened as they did. Geography is everything. The maps, unlike when I was a child, did not have the US in the center. They could place any continent in the center. More of the same today. It is good to be back in the Social Sciences.

Exhausted with the rare “too tired to eat. “ Weight below ticker.

Wave.
  • Today has an awkward schedule. But I can make it work. A late lunch and early supper means that I can skip my snack. Which is good because I'll need some calories for "drinks/desserts" after watching a play. We're going with a 20-something couple. So, I want to remind myself that they can absorb a lot more calories than I can. I won't have alcohol because I'd have to eat way too many calories to be a safe driver. So, I'll stick to a small dessert, or better, share an appetizer with DH.

Exercise: +40, 505/1100 minutes for August
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is holding.

I just read the start time for the portland to coast walking event is 3:30am. What have I gotten myself into!?

Bill, today is a new chance to avoid overeating/snacks. I hope the task you were procrastinating for is out of the way.

Maryann, mixing your art with history. I love it!

Joy, it sounds like a fun day. Enjoy the play!
  • Hi all,

For several nights in a row, I've meant to post and then end up downstairs and getting ready for bed and then not wanting to come back to the computer. I'm fighting that by posting earlier tonight.

I'm back on full products--looking forward to an appt with a new therapist next week. As long as I don't eat anything off-plan, I'm fine, but once I start, I don't stop--even though I'm not even hungry. Way disordered. I wanted raisin bread tonight. Got up and headed to the stairs. Stopped myself and turned around. Asked DH to talk to be about raisin bread and he said "it's in the breadbox"--I told him that wasn't helpful. I do not want 2 slices of raisin bread more than I want to re-lose what I re-gained. So, I said, I'll give it until 7:30 and have this conversation with myself again. It's only 7:20 but the moment has passed--I didn't want the raisin bread now more than I want my long-term goal.

This is such a struggle--but I feel so much better now than I did at 242. That's a really important thing for me to remember. Sure, I want to get back to 162, which was my low, but even at 187, I'm way better off than I was at 242.

G'night all (back to trip planning)

--Beth