Beck Diet For Life/Solution – August 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 3 of 13
Go to
  • Things went wrong yesterday. I discovered a leak in a tire during my grocery run. Then, my 12-year-old bread machine broke while I was baking for supper.

By the miracle of the internet, I was able to make an appointment for the car yesterday for this morning. And, I'll have a new bread machine tomorrow.

This impacted my plan, a little. Credit for eating what I would have planned had I been able to predict such a weird day.

Today's challenge is that I like the fancy hot drink machine at the car dealer, but I suspect the thing that I choose has twice the caffeine as my usual cup of tea and a ridiculous number of calories. So, no fancy hot drink. I'll have tea or water.

I'm also not sure how long I'll be getting the car serviced. Since I'm going in, anyway, I'll have the oil changed, since I was a few hundred miles shy of scheduling that, and have them check a rattle that we've been noticing. If I'm there at lunch time, I'll scour the nearby shopping district for the most veggie-centric meal that I can find.

Exercise: +40, 75/1100 minutes for August

bethturnaround: I thought about you when I heard about Dayton. How horrifying. I'm glad that you were able to adjust in ways to support your DD.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Dh and I spent some time working on the yard and now have two giant piles of blackberry vines, etc to deal with. My muscles are feeling it.

Joy, a lazy Sunday is just what you need sometimes.

Bill, I love the cello too! Credit for not overeating the steak.

Beth, it's unbelievable.

Curly, I'm glad the choir concert went well. I hope work is going well today.

CJ, congrats on the 12 pounds down! That's fantastic.

Maryann, credit for the hikes!
  • Good morning, Coaches.

Yesterday I was excited to explore another hiking area near the cabin. It is a well marked “park” that is a cross country skiing place in the winter. I feel safer hiking alone there and yet can still get way off from people. I hiked 6.5 miles. Yeah!

Ticker is down slightly. Off to family reunion.

Beth: I am so sorry for the situation. I too worked with a lady for three years whose son became a shooter. It made me feel that life is so vulnerable and chaotic. I went home and held DS close.
  • Hi all,

Can I have a do-over for today? When I told DS about my day, he said "even in Australia". (Bill, have you read Alexander and the Horrible Terrible No Good Very Bad Dayto DGD? It's one of the great ones)

Food--totally completely off plan. I'm going to give up by not eating anything else and starting again tomorrow. It all just seemed too hard today--everything seemed too hard. Good decisions were too hard for me. Eating when my stomach didn't want anymore food was possible--and I did it :-(

I'm off to read in bed and try and get some sleep--I wasn't very successful at that last night.

--Beth
  • Tuesday - Upper Peru became the autonomous republic of Bolivia (1825)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the library to return the 1977 Mel Brooks movie, High Anxiety. Meh. Was amusing, but didn't grab me or DW. It felt like it was 40 years old - as well it should. Since we caught the mimicry of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, I suspect that there were other movie references that an experienced movie patron would catch that we didn't. Yay for FREE library movies that we don't have to feel bad for not liking.

Food was OK, CREDIT moi. Indeed, we had gazpacho on the patio for dinner, with a small sampling of the last of the Prime rib steak as supplement. Glad that the steak is finally gone since 'Prime' means 'fatty' which gives it such good taste.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Sad to lose the twelve-year-old bread machine that's served you so well. Hope your car's visit to the garage found no surprises.

maryann - Kudos for a 6.5 mile hike. Neat that you've found a new place to explore.

curlyjax - Yay for a good concert. And Kudos for bringing home half of your steak tips.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Yes, we love Alexander and the Horrible Terrible No Good Very Bad Day. Welcome to "do over" day. We're still trying to process the events of Dayton from way out here.

Penny. - Muscles made tired by yard work is great resistance exercise.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan

To figure out what your strategy should be, think about which foods or beverages you'll most want to have while you're away. Will you enjoy sipping mixed drinks at the bar? Indulging in a rich dessert after dinner? Sampling new and unusual foods?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 224.
  • Pretty good eating day. I had salad for lunch and dinner, no unplanned foods, and my fudgsicle for dessert. Okay, two. But together still way less caloric than my beloved Ben and Jerry's. Yesterday 's work went well although again I'm exhausted, and came home and sobbed a bit. I do miss having DH to talk to even more, and I don't want to keep bothering my friends all the time. So I worked thru it and didn't call anyone, finished some work notes and watched a little tv. My supervisor seemed a little short with me yesterday- possibly because I was a bit late. I do feel like I've been thrown into things and am expected to remember stuff i've been told once, along with a million other things. Today I plan to be early and fortunately there is a little down time to get myself organized. I'm really not making much more money than before and i'm questioning how long I can do this financially, but i'll try it for a year anyhow. It's good for my brain to be thinking about different things!
  • The tire's fixed but they found a problem with the steering, so I'll be back at the dealer again. I did fine with no fancy hot drinks, so I'll do that again.

Exercise: +30, 170/1100 minutes for August
  • Good morning!

I walked 3 miles and then later another 1 mile. My knee held up with a compression sleeve. I need to get to two stretches of 5 mile walks by the 23rd.

Maryann, kudos for the hikes!

Beth, I'm sorry the day went south. Credit for not overstuffing.

Bill, some movies just don't age well,do they? I hope I'm aging better than High Anxiety. lol

Curly, uh oh! You're already thinking about the end of this job? It must have been a not great day. I hope today is better.
  • Triumph. I completed the 10.7 mile hike with 2300 feet elevation gain. I am very proud of myself. Last year when things got so bad I stopped midway.

Food is food. I am not winning any awards but I am logging everything.

Tonite is my turn to cook dinner for the reunion crowd. I am keeping it simple with rotisserie chicken, bread and salad. I will buy a dessert I do not like.

Wave to all.
  • Maryann - I am so blown away by your hiking at elevation! Congratulations! You have a right to be proud of yourself. I love that you are buying a dessert you do not like, what a great plan. (I am trying to think what that dessert might be for me.)

Penny - I love that you are walking long distances. I need to try to walk more, it always bothers my lower back and hip so much. But now that I’ve been doing the physical therapy perhaps it’s better and I will try to walk maybe a half mile and see how I feel. For the past two years since I have had this hip issue I've used a rolling walker if I've had to walk any long distance. It makes me feel secure that I can sit down if I need to, so I actually walk quite far with it, it's like a safety blanket. It does make me feel like an old lady, however. Better than not walking at all I always think.

GardenerJoy - I’m pretty good at avoiding drinkable calories. I do like my caffeine however.

Curlyjax - It is good you have friends to “bother” when you need to talk. It sounds like you actually really like the new job but it takes some time to get used to it.

Bill - when you talk about your walks, it seems as though you live in a great walkable area with things that are relatively close to you like the library. Or else you walk for miles every day?

Beth - all the best to you. Of course you get the “do-over”. It is hard to know the right things to say. The feeling is of impotence and rage regarding Dayton. Knowing the shooter is even more traumatic I would think.

Today I went to the pool again and did 90 minutes of water exercise. My calories were low because even though I started out overeating, I did my exercise during the dinner hour and that made all the difference.

What happened is after I ate lunch, I almost immediately ate my snack, and then ate part of my dinner around 4 pm. I was eating my planned foods, but I was going to run out of food pretty quick at the rate I was going. At that point, I thought “I need to get out of the house or I’m going to go over my calories” so I went to the pool around 5:30 and got out at a little after 7 pm. By that time, it was past my dinner eating window, and I wasn’t starving, so I skipped the half of dinner I hadn’t eaten yet. Does any of that make sense?

• Hi all,

I'm checking in so I can give myself credit for that :-). Today was better than yesterday--I'm going to turn in a bit early and then tomorrow will be better yet.

--Beth
  • Wednesday- IBM dedicates 1st program-controlled calculator, the Harvard Mark I (1944)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - The green salad at dinner came entirely from the garden - including a normal sized red tomato. It just feels like this is how life should be. Dinner itself was a white fish which is unusual for us in the summer because it's cooked inside because it just disintegrates on the grill. Life is good.

Got caught up on some stuff in my office. I've still not repopulated my desk and adjacent table with the stacks of 'stuff' that I moved a month ago to make space for house guests. I like the lack of clutter. I miss knowing how to put my hand on anything.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for avoiding the dealer's fancy FREE hot drinks.

maryann - Neat strategy to buy a dessert that you don't like. That was quite a hike.

curlyjax - It's hard being the new kid on the block. Keep the faith; it changes.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Turning in early is the best way that I know to curb the evening call of the munchies.

Penny. - Yay that the compression sleeve works.

CJZee - Terrific strategy to spend your normal dinner eating window at the pool getting exercise.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 32 Prepare for Travel

Making a Travel Plan

Once you create your strategy, write it down in your diet notebook. Read it every day until you leave (and every day while you're there), so you'll have this strategy firmly in your mind.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 224.
  • Yesterday was better. I still feel like the training session was quite brief and my supervisor is expecting me to remember a lot after only being told once. She blows hot and cold. But I think I’m figuring out how to keep her happy. I need more time to get myself organized and I may need to do that at home which is fine. I’m exhausted but not sleepy during the day which is great, and shows me part of that was because I was bored/depressed.
    Also a big plus is there is no food sitting around to get into, and I’m eating only what I plan to bring, which is great. I did wake up at 3:00 to hit the bathroom last night and was so hungry I had a little snack to help me get back to sleep. I haven’t lost weight yet but am feeling good about eating less. Now I have to figure out how to get exercise in, but one thing at a time.
    Bill- that dinner sounds lovely. Lack of clutter is great.
    CJZee- any walking is definitely good, but I know what you mean about feeling like an old lady! The elders I worked with would tease me when I walked with a limp due to hip pain; would you like to borrow my cane etc
    Penny- excellent training! The compression sleeve sounds great. The driving piece of this job is exhausting and I’m really thinking about my finances in part, because its a low paying non profit job for supporting a family. But the older you get, the harder it is to switch jobs.
  • Good morning!

I made a rye bread for the first time and some hummus to go with it. So the calories for the day were mostly bread. Today is a bike ride with a friend.

Joy, credit for avoiding the high calorie coffees. Bummer about the extra car issue. They always find something, don't they?

Beth, definitely credit for checking in!

Bill, a well stocked garden is so great! Yes, just how life should be.

Maryann, amazing hike stats! It sounds like a great reunion you guys have every year.

CJ, I too can really burn through my calories early in the day. Credit for going to the pool.

Curly, credit for sticking with your packed lunch, even if it's because you don't have any other temptations. It still counts! lol
  • Good Morning,

Off to a boat tour in a historic wooden boat to walk around Thunderbird Lodge. It is a remnant of the wealthy 30s family who were rivaling Hearst.

Food was food last night. Could be worst. Sore this morning. DH and DS joined us last night and I am glad to have them.

Thinking about karen and where she is in her journey.