Beck Diet For Life/Solution – July 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 1 of 13
Go to
  • Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
    With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
    This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
  • Monday - Canada Day (since the British North America Act (BNA Act) of 1867)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got to give my guest a demo ride in my electric LEAF. Real car lovers have to feel the power of an electric car to get over their notion that it's just a glorified golf cart. Fun time.

Eating wasn't good. We were part of a ten person family picnic affair. The closest it came to sane eating was that I let what would have been my second hamburger go to the trash rather than eat it. CREDIT moi for that since discarding meat isn't easy for me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Planning for healthy eating is such a good model for me - thanks.

maryann - Slightly hungry is a good reminder that we can live with that.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad that your wrist doesn't require a cast or have broken bones.

curlyjax - Neat strategy to dedicate 30 minutes each to tasks that appear onerous.

Penny. - Modern civilization cannot survive a dead phone. Hope it's not broken.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

Change Your Mindset About Parties, Celebrationis, and Special Events

There are three difficulties associated with this notion. . . .

2. You might go overboard in making exceptions. Instead of just eating a small to moderate amount more at a special meal (perhaps a couple of hundred more calories), you could easily eat much more. For example, if your usual dinner is 600 calories, you could end up eating 200 percent more - or a total of 1,800 calories. Once you go over your planned limit, you may think, I've already blown it ... I may as well eat whatever I want.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 216.
  • Yesterday was functional exercise as I ran around to 3 different stores. I decided to not go to church so I could make it home before it was supposed to pour. Credit for nice healthy salmon dinner with sides of butternut squash and cabbage salad. And ice cream for dessert, ah well. I didn’t get to dealing with financial stuff because my resume etc took more like 2 hours but I went ahead and applied for this other job so that is done.
    It occurs to me, I frequently come home and take a 15 minute nap after work (I work part time) and its going to be a very long day once I start working fulltime and commuting longer. I’m going to have to figure out how to be more energized when that all happens. For now, I will enjoy my extra time.
    Karen- glad the wrist isn’t broken! Good job abstaining from fries etc.
    Gardenerjoy- you have been doing great with exercise.
    Penny-glad you can be more flexible with eating.
    Maryann-good job cutting down on treat.
    Bill-great job letting go of that hamburger.
  • I met my June exercise goal -- CREDIT!

I've got a busy day, but it includes a float which is 90 minutes of forced relaxation so that should do me some good.

Exercise: +40, 1100/1100 minutes for June
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding.

Bill, thanks for starting the new month for us. The big family meal sounds like a good time.

Curly, credit for getting things checked off your to-do list.

Joy, kudos for meeting your exercise goal for the month!

Karen, sorry the wrist got hurt. It sounds like it's going to heal up quickly.

Maryann, credit for the bike rides!
  • Good Morning, Coaches.
    Super excited to change my stats in my profile. I am down three pounds in week three. Again, I am glad I marked each pound milestone in my iphone calendar so I can remember the journey. My brain keeps trying to tell me three pounds in three weeks is a poor showing. NO. One pound a week is courageous and bold because it means I must keep to 1300 calories and 10,000 steps a day. This means I will go to bed slightly hungry many nights especially when I do a 9 mile bike ride like I did yesterday. So credit me.

Next week I will start traveling so I am glad to have the foundations of these first weeks to remind me how much effort weight loss to date took.

Menu is planned as is exercise. Sushi tonite so I have to be careful and I may give myself a pass on the scale tomorrow.

I had a nice Sunday with the boys. We watched Spiderman: Into the U verse on Netflix. With DS to translate, it was quite fun. Without him we would have not known anything that was going on. We also spent some time putting text to the bones of the scrapbook. It is almost done. This is the fastest one I have ever done thanks to some improvement in tech, practice, and,quite frankly, surrender of the best for the better. I use to save everything thing. Now, for example, I don't need 10 award certificates. One is enough.

Curleyjax: Credit resume. Those take FOREVER. But once done it is done unlike housework
    BBE: In all the years we have been posting together, there is only a handful of times you have mentioned throwing away meat. I am super impressed.
    Gardenerjoy and Penny: Credit for the checkins.
  • Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. I hiked Sunrise, took Otis for a walk and did my food plan. Today has mostly been spent packing the things I'll be taking tomorrow to Flagstaff. I don't know why it takes a bit of time, but it does. There is the food, the clothes and then the camping/hiking gear. I'm really looking forward to a few days out of the heat. I'm not sure what time I'll be leaving in the morning because the a/c people are coming to replace a compressor on one of our units. Anyway, I'll post again Saturday most likely.

I hope you all have a great week.
  • Hi everyone! I have just come back to 3FC after a 6 year hiatus! I had initially lost about 85 pounds, and have kept 40 of it off. (I try to think of it that way instead of saying I gained 45 back, hah!) Anyway, I've always admired this thread, and bought the book, so thought I would join. Thank you. CJ
  • Welcome CJZee
    CJZee

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover this thread on 3FC?
  • Tuesday - Slaves aboard a Spanish schooner La Amistad revolt to secure freedom (1839)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, through the Boston Public Gardens and Boston Commons with our house guests. We stopped at the bronze statues of Make Way for Ducklings. The book was whipped out of my niece's backpack and read to the nine-year-old on the spot. A crowd gathered to listen and applauded at the end. I'd have never thought of doing that. We then walked the Freedom Trail with much time wandering thru the graves of such folks as Paul Revere.

Lunch was gathered at the Boston Marketplace - an evil place with a zillion choices of high calorie foods. I had a bowl of clam chowder - one of the saner choices for a 'good enough' experience. Dinner was later at an upscale Italian Restaurant with twelve of us. I was teased because I didn't order sides with my entree and then mercilessly teased because I would neither order nor share a dessert. CREDIT moi for small steps.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Super Kudos for meeting your June exercise goal. Don't know what your mean by a 'float'.

maryann - One more time a kid figured out that they could just follow the brick trail and get back - in our case to Park Street Station instead of Omni House Hotel. I grinned thinking of your DS discovering that. Congrats for getting another scrapbook done.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for an early morning hike on Sunrise. Ouch for having to wait for air conditioning guys.

curlyjax - Congrats for applying for that job. Naps are just the best.

Penny. - On plan and holding is good news.

CJZee - Kudos for being able to recognize the amount that you kept off instead of focusing on that which crept back. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:

3. You might find it difficult to return to restricted eating once the event is over. You might have sabotaging thoughts such as It was really fun to eat whatever I wanted ... I really liked not restricting myself. You might lose sight of why it has been so important to you to lose weight and you might stop following the steps in the program.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 217.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was within maintanence calories but munchier than I'd like, with chips. I have all the grocery shopping done, and need to make the food. Weight is holding.

Maryann, credit for the three pound loss!

Karen, have a wonderful trip!

CJZee, welcome back to 3fc and good luck with your goals.

Bill, major credit for keeping mindful at the upscale restaurant. That is hard to do.
  • Yesterday marks my 3rd anniversary of daily exercise. I haven't missed a day since the end of June 2016 when my husband had an emergency appendectomy.

Exercise: +40, 40/1100 minutes for July

BillBlueEyes: did St. Louis get floats before Boston? https://www.floatingstl.com/
  • Czee: Welcome. I’m on Day 20 in the book. I’m going through it again. The skills have continued to be relevant in the seven years I have been here.
    BBE: I have wonderful memories of that trail and our dinner. Boston remains one of my favorite places.
    Penny: Credit for stopping soon enough with the chips to keep at maintenance.
    Gardenerjoy: A most excellent streak.

Yesterday was OP. I even weighed this morning and despite sushi was a smidge down. Food is planned. Exercise is a demo lesson of Pilates at a studio I am thinking about joining.

Love these summer days.
  • BillBlueEyes and everyone - THANKS for the big welcome! When I was on 3FC before, I lurked on your thread, and finally bought the first book. In coming back, I've noticed now that this is still one of the most active and accomplished threads still going, so I thought (hoped) it would be really motivational for me.
  • Wednesday - The last pair of Great Auks is killed (1844)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Toured the New England Aquarium with our guests. Love seeing the place through the eyes of a 9-year-old who hadn't seen penguins before. At the tidal petting pool, I also petted a starfish which has an eye on the end of each tentacle - what a convenience.

Eating wasn't that good. I've fallen in with the guests and the nibbles. For lunch I had a modest Beef Teriyaki plate so that I could leave a bunch of the rice. Dinner was Mexican take-out. I left much of my beans and rice. Small steps.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good grief! Not sure that I'd last more than two minutes in a total sensory deprivation. Congrats on your three years of daily exercise.

maryann - Interesting that you're considering Pilates - I've not yet understood it.

Penny. - Do I ever recognize "munchier than I'd like."

CJZee - Join us in motivating each other. It's good to have an experienced 3FC person here.

Readers -
    Quote:

Or you might have such sabotaging thoughts as I really lost control ... I really blew it ... What's the use of even trying anymore?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 217.