Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 4 of 11
Go to
  • Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan except for one extra snack yesterday. Weight was the same this morning. I purchased some dried hummus that I was checking out as a possibility to take on my backpacks. It was just add water and some olive oil. I dips some cucumbers in it. It was okay, but I think it was too salty. I'm sure a little extra salt would be a good thing on a backpack, but I'm not used to it, so it will be a no go for me. I got out early again to hike Bell Pass. The temps are increasing rapidly, so I'll just go till it's miserable and then change over to the gym. Otis is chomping at the bit to go for a walk by the time I get home, so that's an added benefit. The only plan for the day is to get to Costco this morning and then pick up dh at the airport midday. I got one more booking for November (bil and sil on dh's side), so that means we will have company 20 of the 30 days in November. If I get lonesome this summer I just need to look at the calendar for November.

Penny You'll have to tell us what the book says to keep from having a sore back.
    Bill We don'e have the big construction projects in our neighborhood, but every house that is sold soon has a dumpster in the driveway and major remodeling occurs.

I had better get a move on. Have a good rest of the weekend.

• Monday - Canada goes on the decimal currency system (1857)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Some days not much gets done. Oh, Well. The weather was as nice as it gets around here. We ate dinner on the patio, sitting until we could even lower the shade umbrella. For reasons not clear to us, we don't have mosquitos, flies, or other biting insects. We can just sit and enjoy the evening.

Food was close to plan, CREDIT moi. I had all three snacks. Evening snack was our first watermelon of the year. It was sufficient. First watermelons aren't great. I suppose some adventurous farmer plants an early ripening cultivar that's traded off sweet for early. It worked; we bought it. What a good life.

Karen (karenrn) - Never heard of dried hummus. I suppose it'd last without refrigeration for a long time. Congrats on the continuing success in booking for your B&B in November, LOL.

Penny. - Love the notion that a book from 1955 is still relevant.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

When you go to a restaurant, family gathering, holiday celebration, or other special event, you'll encounter lots of triggers: the sight and smell of food, people eating and drinking, people offering you food and drink, a festive atmosphere. Many people apply special eating and drinking rules to special occasions. They give themselves permission to indulge.

That's why so many dieters come undone.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 214.
  • Thanks for the emotional support again folks.I'm definitely in a bit of a slump again. I'm really tired of having pain in my leg, i'm overwhelmed by the mess in my house (some of it due to DD but most not) I get depressed at work- today I need to create something to do unless a real problem appears, which sounds ridiculous to complain about but I would rather be busy.
    I pushed myself to go to a graduation party yesterday where I only knew the graduate and his mom from years ago. I complimented myself on making small talk and folks were friendly, but I left feeling sad because they were all in their 50s and coupled up. I left wishing I had a bigger bunch of friends. DH was lovely but a real introvert and I didn't gain any buddies from him. I binged on sugar thru the weekend.
    There, I have got my venting out! We have been so fortunate with the weather here which is a big help. I am healthy and have a job, there is a lot to be grateful for. I have a healthy dinner planned and will eat a good salad for lunch and start over. I'm running late today-managed to sleep thru 20 minutes of the alarm blaring- so personals tomorrow.
  • Down in Riverside, California for DS to interview at Harvey Mudd. We had a nice pool day at SIL. My food was ok but I didn’t need extra ice cream. I also ignored my credit count so I’ll hop back on that today.

Watching SIL is great to remember what it really takes to keep weight off. She eats half a salad when I eat the whole; hops up every hour to bike a little or sweep or feed the horses; and measures out her morning cereal. This is a good reality check for me.

Karen: I have never liked any of the packer food. Do you take a stove with you? Many hardcore packers do not but I like a warm meal (not that I am hardcore)
    BBE: watermelon is planned for here as wel.
    Curleyjax: yeah for a reboot with salad.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is holding (still up 2-3 pounds from my low).

I checked on my two fruit trees and it looks to be a bumper year for plums and cherries! My plum tree never does well so it was a shock to see so many plums clustered on the branches.

Karen, I bet a lot of the dehydrated packaged food for backpacking is salty, yea? You must crave fresh food so much when you get home.

Bill, it's perfect outside dining weather here too, and yet I haven't. Maybe for lunch.

Curly, spouses fill up our social needs more than we realize, don't they? There are many Meetup groups in my area for social gatherings. Maybe there is a good one to try in your area. I'm sorry you're feeling blue.
  • I think that's three weekends in a row where I ignored my usual routine, including posting here. So far, that hasn't resulted in overeating, but it's a danger. Plus, I really feel better with a little routine to start the day -- even if I intend the day to be relaxed. So, getting back to it and I made check boxes on my week plan to encourage me to post every day, right through the weekend.

Exercise: +20, 325/1100 minutes for June
  • Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday except for a couple of drinks with dh before dinner. Weight is down a tad this morning. I've taken the day off from hiking, but will do my arms, planks and squats exercises. Nothing big planned for the day except I have a class right after lunch. It's going to be pretty hot here this week, maybe even up to 110 . . . yuck!

GardenerJoy It's great that not planning didn't result in overeating.
    Penny That's great that you'll be having abundant crops. I do love fruit. Yes, the backpacking freeze dried meals are pretty salty, but mostly I think we need that to keep the electrolytes in balance. I do crave salads and fruit when I get back.
    Maryann It is interesting to see how other people eat. My sil keeps her weight stable, but I see her portion sizes are often smaller than mine. Yes, I take a Jetboil stove which I only use to boil water. I use it for coffee and oatmeal in the morning and a freeze dried meal for supper. Most of them taste pretty good after a strenuous day. I have found that I don't really like spicy meals when I'm out there. Lunch is the most difficult for me. I'm not a huge peanut butter lover nor do I want to carry empty stinky tuna packets for miles. I'll figure it out.
    Curlyjax I'm sorry you're going thru a rough spell. I'm not sure my husband is an introvert, but he is definitely a homebody. He keeps up with his old friends, but hasn't bothered to make but a few friends here who happen to only really be visitors. I can't count on him for bringing people into our social life at all. Now on another topic . . have you thought at all about having your hip done sooner rather than later. I'm just thinking if would it work to have it done while you're at this job that you don't like and you'll be feeling better and then can find a new job without the thought of a surgery on the horizon. Mainly I just hope you feel better.
    Bill The hummus is just a dry powder in the bulk bin. I did add some more water to it, but I still don't think it will appeal to me on the trail. I think today is my day for not much to get done.

I'd better get the arm exercises done before I forget. I don't let it stop me from wearing sleeveless tops because it is simply too hot here to worry about it, but it would be nice if they would look a little nicer. This getting older business is for the birds and who would have thunk that being overweight and stretching the skin out would be a concern. Oh well.

• Tuesday - Troy is sacked and burned (1184 BC per calculations by Eratosthenes)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library where I made returns with ABSOLUTElY no intention of taking our any more books. Except, it just happened, I did need to get a book about touring Boston for some relatives coming to town in a week. So I did take out a book. I so tried to be good. My stack is overflowing with books that I pretend that I'll magically have time to read. Fortunately, books have no calories, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including dinner in the cool evening on the patio that ending in watermelon. Just lovely. Daytime isn't so lovely with the construction machinery digging next door. Noisy machines, those.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for a little bit of routine.

maryann - It's tough watching folks who eat rationally, All. The. Time.

Karen (karenrn) - Hard to fathom 110 degrees F. Good luck with that. Hope you have some indoor activities. You got me checking out dried hummus: Ingredients: Ground Chickpeas, Ground Sesame Seed, Ground Bell pepper*, Onion powder*, Spinach*, Parsley*, Sea Salt, Cumin*, Lemon Powder*, Garlic*, Paprika*, Rosemary Powder, Olive Oil*. (*Organic). What's not to like?

curlyjax - Super Kudos for being able to list your positives - a rather nice set.

Penny. - You remind me that I could be grateful that I don't have fruit trees that sometimes don't bear.

Readers -
    Quote:

Plan to Eat Out

Today, you'll create a plan for eating out and set a date to implement this plan at a restaurant some time this week. Sticking to your diet every time you eat out or while celebrating is a skill that requires preparation and practice.

• Today's exciting tasks include getting a rental while I get my car's bumper fixed, and finding out about the new health insurance at work. I was going to come home yesterday and start picking up the house a bit, but instead I took a nap and then did some intense mothering which was good. The house is so messy its overwhelming, but I figure I can start on the laundry. Someone had brought in a great cake yesterday at work which I did have a piece of, so TODAY i'm starting again. Whole Foods- Bill knows what a great store that is.
    I was able to stand up right today in the shower so that is excellent! I think my hip shot pain is gradually wearing off.

Karen- thank you yes, that is a really good thought. The problem here is planning around winter- I could possibly do it this fall assuming I could get into see a surgeon etc, but i need to be able to shovel snow, so would need to be done with rehab and hip precautions by December. I am going to call the sports med doc soon and ask him about surgeons, I guess he's the one to ask. 110 degrees, I can't even imagine! I know what you mean about upper arms
    Penny-yay for fruit trees, how lovely. Meetup is a good idea, there are a lot in this area.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget and weight is holding.

I took the two younger kids to the park and we tooled around on our scooters, then we discovered a forgotten tennis ball in the tennis court, so tossed that around.

It's warming up outside! Fans and window ACs have been pulled out of storage.

Joy, good luck with getting your routine honed in.

Karen, kudos on shedding some weight! I bet you're glad to have dh home again.

Bill, loved the comment about books not having calories. They are also a good distraction from the actual calories.

Curly, hurray for being able to stand upright. I'm really surprised the injection caused so much pain, and by how long it lasted.
  • Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan, but weight was up a smidge anyway. We all know how that goes. I was at the trailhead and starting my hike at 5 am and it was 83 degrees. I was so fortunate though that it is mostly in the shade and on top of that there was a nice breeze. It was in the high 80's by the time I finished at nearly 7:30, but it didn't feel bad. I listened to a book that I have listened to before, Younger Next Year, A Guide to Living Like 50 until you're 80 and Beyond. I think it's a little old, but I like the focus on exercise. I'm not sure I'll finish it, but I didn't have anything else I wanted to listen to. I had my class again yesterday at 1:00 in the afternoon. For some of the time I just thought if I could just put my head down on the desk this would be much better. I'm glad I only have class one day a week, but it is good to get out among people.

Penny Are the scooters motorized or foot powered? We have a bunch of motorized scooters around town, but I think I'm afraid to get on them.
    Curlyjax I'm so glad to hear you are finally able to stand up again. I know an injection is not supposed to do that to you. I sure wouldn't want another one of those. You know as for snow shoveling, I'm sure you could hire someone if need be for a short time.
    Bill There sure are way worse things than a large stack of books. I used to go to the library frequently in the summer, I'll have to think of that again. So often now I just download either the Ebooks or audiobooks which prevents a trip to the library.

• I don't have a food plan for the day, yet, but I'm confident that one will materialize soon. Supper is dependent on DH's stomach which has been a little wonky for a few weeks and we have to make careful choices about what it's going to tolerate. He's eliminating dairy to see if that helps and that eliminates a portion of our repertoire -- all the dishes that relied on cheese for a boost of flavor and texture.

Exercise: +30, 355/1100 minutes for June
  • Wednesday - Anne Frank gets her diary as a 13th birthday present (1942, Amsterdam)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made a little progress reading the book about processing Big Data. I still don't get it how zillions of bytes of data are crunched to formulate a decision - like a move in the game Go. Makes sense that it's not just intuitive, so I'll have to keep reading the book.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including, one more time, dinner on the patio in the cool evening. Didn't end in watermelon because DW "needed a break" from watermelon. So evening snack was a California Navel Orange. Peaches bought yesterday are from Georgia; they're the best that we get around here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Eliminating dairy is a challenge. Cheese is everywhere. Hope his "wonky" resolves.

Karen (karenrn) - A friend in South Reno just posted that temps were 107 degrees F. Hiking should certainly keep you in you 50's until you're ninety!

curlyjax - Cakes brought to work should be outlawed! Hope your car rental happened.

Penny. - Neat to make an event around a forgotten tennis ball.

Readers -
    Quote:

Plan to Eat Out

Here's what you should do to get ready:
    • Choose a suitable day and place. Pick a day this week when you're not particularly stressed and plan to eat at a slightly earlier time than usual, so you won't be too hungry. Select a restaurant that serves foods permitted on your plan.
  • I dropped off my car and got the rental, which is really low to the ground and the backrest isn't comfortable. It's very interesting to drive some different cars anyhow! And I found out that my health insurance won't be going up but down a little- 14 bucks a month, woo! But that is still good news. The deductible remains quite high but ah well.
    Today I am getting a massage, hooray. My right calf is killing me since I've been walking a little funny due to hip so i'm going to get the kinks worked out. It is worth every penny, and I'm going to budget this in for at least every other month for a bit.
    I got into the ice cream last night, but I stayed out of sweets at work. I switched out the towels at home and put away one bag of stuff. And I asked an aquaintance from back in the day to go for coffee sometime and she's up for it, so yay. Baby steps.

Penny-scooters are fun. It is warming up here too but the nights are lovely and cool. The best combination!
    Karen- 1:00 class would be tough, especially when you’ve been up and hiking at 5:00! My energy definitely dips then.
    Bill- ooh, peaches are the best. A great dessert and a rare treat since they’re ripe for such a short time.
    Gardenerjoy- yes, cheese shows up in a lot of dishes.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget again and weight is holding, just a pound above my low.

I tried to go back to the "2 pounds per week" setting on my calorie tracker and the 900+ calorie limit is just too low for me right now. It would be nice to drop another 10 before I settle, though.

I tried to bribe the kids with an offer of $20 each for a teacher and the youngest to help the youngest learn to ride a bike, hoping maybe the magic of being a sibling would make the difference. Nope. She's still not ready. I want to take her on the bike trails so badly!

Karen, the scooters are foot powered. Mine is a big one, bought when I was heavy, but now it is roomy and it rolls a lot further before I need to kick. lol

Joy, I'm drinking my coffee with a little soy milk right now and it is not bad! I hope your dh is able to find relief.

Bill, can't get enough of the peaches right now. So good! Have a great day with DGD.

Curly, it is fun driving a rental! The rental companies always try to get me to upgrade to a bigger car, and I say no, thinking heck no, give me the Nissan Versa because it will feel so light compared to the giant minivan.