Is there an active thread for 50+ ???

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I just joined today but cannot seem to find any thread for the 50+ category. Does anyone have any ideas or does someone need to start a new 50+ thread so us oldies can share. Those under age 50 just have no idea how hard it is to lose weigh after menopause! And then 60 hits and HOLY COW it's a huge issue!!
  • If you want to start one up, I'm in! I think sometimes folks don't know that on this forum it's not an auto-notify if you post something and you have to subscribe to a thread to get notices that there are new posts on a thread. That stymied me when I first joined. Now I check new posts every day in any case.
  • 50+ Active Thread - YES PLEASE!!
    I would love that - nobody really DOES understand how hard it is after menopause. Ridiculous

-Deb-
  • You just started one

Hi,

I am Sum and 51 years old.

At my highest weight I was 190 pounds, I am 5'3. By Christmas last year I was as low as 143 pounds, but life happens, and I had a bit diet fatigue, so I let it slip and I gained about 11 pounds back.

I am back on the saddle and this morning I was 151 pounds.

I think you can change the topic of your post, if you wish. Something like over 50's daily check in etc.
  • I was way up to 192 at one point. Ug.
  • Hi ladies, just came back on here today, Im 53 nearing 54 in a few months and I am struggling big time with trying to lose
    weight. My hormones are haywire and I just look like Im 8 months pregnant!! I keep
    starting to try and lose and give up!!
    i was in a changing room last night trying on clothes and upser at how my body is changing, I need to take
    control!!
    i need help to get motivated!!
    thanks
  • Hi shaz1234! It's challenging, to be sure!

I have some old clothes (some are 20 years old) that I've been trying on with my weight loss and the clothes definitely don't fit the way they used to. I can remember being 146 before and I definitely didn't have the rolls I have now. Ha.

For motivation it's been helpful to remember that I'm in this for the long haul and that I just can't slip back into old habits. When we are older the weight loss is slower, the toning of the body doesn't work the way it used to, and many of us are limited in what exercise we can do.

Slow and steady will win the race, I'm sure, but boy, it's hard!

It may sound silly, but one of the things I've made part of my wardrobe is a body stocking. I have one called Lipo In a Box. haha I don't wear the thing every day, but when I want to wear a skirt with a blouse and I don't want those pesky rolls of flab to be so obvious, I put that on and it smooths things out.
  • Hey Old Biddy, thanks for your reply. It is really difficult and I know what you mean, I have gained pounds but not enough to account for the fat and the bloat. Your body stocking is a good idea!! It is all about making lifelong changes, I really need to pick up on the exercise more. I have two dogs and a gym membership so there is no excuses!! I find it hard to get that willpower to stick to it :-(
  • Hey! I just turned 50 in February, and I (unfortunately) lost this weight before back in 2011/2012 but oy veh, SOO different this time!!! I'm all in!
  • Quote: Hey! I just turned 50 in February, and I (unfortunately) lost this weight before back in 2011/2012 but oy veh, SOO different this time!!! I'm all in!
    Hi fyreflie, its just so difficult isnt it!!!! I really tried hard and finally managed to lose a few pounds and now its started going back on!! 🙈😩 then I give up...and had chocolate for supper 😩
  • Hello all,

Can I join you all? I was part of a 50+ group here. There was kind of a regular group and others came and went. The regulars finally dwindled away. I missed it and kept hoping there would be some sort of group again. I'm glad that there is some interest for that.

I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life it seems. I have slowly lost and am hovering right around 205. I got down to like 197 for about 10 seconds ~ LOL. I need to get back to work. Need to try harder to get in some walking.

We moved at the beginning of 2018 from the Houston area to a small town in Colorado. I haven't felt very good a lot of the time since then. The elevation here is higher than anywhere I have ever lived and I think that affects me. The town I lived in in Texas was 141 feet of elevation. The town where I live here in Colorado is 7,116. I have been working with a couple of my doctors and am finally starting to feel better.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Take care
  • I'm all in. I'm 55 this year and decided that I didn't want to enter 56 in the same bloated body. So far since March I'm down 46.2 lbs but its been a struggle. Full time work (mostly sedentary though), daily exercise, dietary changes. I hate that a male coworker about my same age stopped drinking soda and dropped 20ish lbs in a few weeks. Totally not fair! Plus I can either be freezing cold or boiling hot, no happy temperature medium.

I track everything in an app, which claims I should get to goal by December 15. I'm hoping for May of next year! But either way, I'm finally taking time to care for me. Like the old commercial says "because I'm worth it".

glynne, being at that altitude can be tough. Especially since you've pretty much come from sea level. Glad you're working with your doctor to help adjust. It will get better.
  • Welcome Etherbunny. Glad you are here. You have done an awesome job so far. Keep it up!!
  • I will be 70 on my BD. Hope thats not too old old to join you kids. I agree its been hard to lose the weight. Especially the stomach. Last time I was in the 170's I had more of a waist. Maybe if I lose another 10. Im 5' 10" so 160 will be thin for me.

YMMV but maintaining has been hard for me. I have to watch every morsel I eat. My weight goes up and down daily. I swear I wasn't this obsessed with food when I was fat.

I agree with Old Biddy. Took me a minute to figure out I needed to subscribe to a thread. Even ones I created. Most forums if you post on a thread you get a notice. And I finally learned to check the new posts. That's where you can find the active stuff.
  • Welcome Phaedra ~ you're not too old. Glad to have you join us. You are doing great so far. What period of time did it take you to lose your weight? Keep up the good work.