Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 1 of 10
Go to
  • Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
    With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
    This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
  • Monday - California Supreme Court voids ban on interracial marriages (1948)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, noting, one more time, that the flora is aware that Fall is here. DW pointed out the new Fall plants as we passed from garden to garden. I was more aware of the fading summer crop. I overdressed, driven by my fear of being cold out there in the winter. Fortunately, layers come off - as designed to do.

Eating contained too many snacks. Ouch! I cleaned out some stuff that had my attention so I can focus today on eating clean. At dinner I cut my serving of grilled chicken in half and saved half for a lunch this week. CREDIT moi for that sane, onplanish act.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Carryouts can certainly be salty.

Karen (karenrn) – Such an interesting story of goat's milk for your DS. I'll have to go look up why I've always been so happy thinking Feta Cheese and Goat Cheese were the same.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Always the winning thought, "So, back on track."

Penny. – Congrats on that 20 mile bike ride - however ungraceful the landing. Thanks for the tip about Aquafina.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
    If you're having sabotaging thoughts, get ready to write your Response Cards. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I can follow a diet without having to do this.
    Helpful Response: That might be true - at first - but why not maximize my chances?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 138.
  • hi everyone. Its been a very busy weekend with picking up DD friday fro college and then dropping her off yesterday. lots of driving and sitting around waiting We managed to get thru the first weekend home with a few arguments but some quality time too. I really need to plan ahead for these i think and get myself in the proper mental state, because i do tend to fall into old habits of assuming things with her, and getting mad too easily. And she needs to plan ahead and not have me waiting for hours while she gets ready!
    When she first entered the house she said, wow its so clean hmm, wonder why!!
    I'm doing terribly with my eating again, going in one of those circles. My hip hurts a lot now that i'm strengthening it more, and i don't know how far to push even taking a walk. Then i start worrying about will I be stuck at this weight and with pain forever. Plus eating for comfort. Yesterday I took a different route home college and got lost and the gps wasn't working, I wasn't sure what town i was even in. I ended up sobbing and wishing DH was here, I'm tired of having to do everything myself.
    Well, enough of the pity party. It's lovely weather these days and that's a big help. Wave to all!
  • New month, new start. I'm going to quit fretting about why my weight went up the last few days and start where I am.

Credit for meeting my exercise goal for September!

Daily weighing streak: 3, Weigh-in: +0.2, Exercise: +15, 1205/1200 minutes for September
  • Good morning coaches,

I'm glad to start a new month and on a Monday makes it even better. I enjoyed all the food at yesterday's gathering and I'm not going to get on the scale until Wednesday cause I don't want to see the number. I'm committed to tracking everything and really getting on it now.
    Today's exercise will be housework because I have company coming tomorrow. I need to do all the bathrooms and the floors and dusting. It's raining, but hopefully Otis and I will get out for a walk later. I had to carry him out just to go to the bathroom cause he doesn't like to get his paws wet. Have a great start to the month/week!
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was a couch potato day. I nearly finished a sweater I'm knitting, and I finished a book. I've already downloaded another digital library loan of Roberto Belo๑o's books. I am obsessed with his stuff right now!

Food was on plan and weight is still holding.

Bill, kudos for the walk and food planning.

Curly, ugh older kids making me wait is a major peeve. I've lost my cool a few times over that subject.

Karen, my friend laughed when I fell too!

Joy, kudos for another excellent month of meeting your exercise minute goal!
  • Hi everyone!

After a split-good/bad weekend, I'm back on track today. I was too busy to cook so had a 5 product day. We seem to have colors for most of our house now--we'll buy most of the paint tomorrow--just a few more decisions to make. We move in less than 2 weeks--the house doesn't look like it'll be ready but I know how quickly things come together once the paint goes up!

No exercise today--tomorrow I'm going to walk. It'll be cool tomorrow but it doesn't look like rain. DD has a book that needs to go back to the library, so that'll probably be my walk. I have a busy evening tomorrow even without doing anything at the new house--I have an appt with the dietitian, then my weight management class, and then the walk. Plus a ton of paperwork I need to get done tomorrow.

I'm yawning--off to bed.

--Beth
  • Tuesday- After 5 years Charles Darwin returns to England aboard the HMS Beagle (1836)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – One more class about the human brain reminded me that I have 100 billion neurons and that each connects to others via 10,000 dendrites. That's a quadrillion connections in my 'connectome.' No wonder I can't figure me out. My geek just loves the big numbers. They remind me of Carl Sagan back in the old days looking skyward on television saying, "Billions and billions" on his Cosmos series in the 1980's. (My brain insists that I watched Carl Sagan as a kid; I wasn't a kid in the 1980's. Maybe it's just hard to admit that I enjoyed TV-level science as an adult. Maybe, as my dendrites retract, I've just merged all my history into one scrambled egg. Oh Well.)

Eating was OK; snacks are still a greater part of my life than I wish. I did redesign lunch to be smaller since I'd had a morning snack that I specifically ate in response to tension. Dessert after dinner was a slice of watermelon eaten inside. It's odd to eat watermelon inside just because it's dark and cold outside; when I was a kid (true memory) I competed with my brothers to spit the seeds the farthest. I don't spit watermelon seeds anymore but worse, I won't be able to teach my DGD to spit seeds because watermelons don't have seeds anymore.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for your consistency in meeting your exercise goals.

Karen (karenrn) – LOL that dear Otis can get carried outside so that he can avoid getting his paws wet. Yay for committing to tracking everything.

curlyjax – Congrats for moving forward with your relationship with your DD. Sending supportive thoughts at having to figure out directions without your DH.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Neat to have your paint choices under control. Are you doing the painting yourself?

Penny. – There needs to be days that allow completion of tasks inside.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?
    If you're having sabotaging thoughts, get ready to write your Response Cards. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: Writing a food plan won't make me lose weight.
    Helpful Response: If the program only consisted of wrigint food plans, it wouldn't work. In this program, however, writing a plan is just one strategy. In any case, I won't know if I'll be successful until I try it. I may as well do everything in my power that I can because I really want to lose weight.

• Good morning coaches,

Yesterday was a great on plan day for food, but the only exercise was housework. Last evening I had book club and had very small portions of a couple of things and no dessert. This morning I have a doctor's appointment and so am fasting for the blood work. Amazing how hunger is so much in my head. I know I can't eat, so it is not a problem, I just won't. I'll go to the Y after lunch and do the treadmill and some weights. I am stopping Crossfit for now for several reasons. Partly my hiking buddies want to hike on my gym days and I haven't wanted to miss Crossfit due to the cost. However, I need to hike more to ensure I'm really in backpacking shape for next summers plans. If I can't keep up with some strength training at the Y, I'll join another less expensive gym that has many classes. It will take some determination and focus. It's pouring rain outside and is supposed to rain most of the day. Yay!

Bill Your class on the brain sounds really interesting. It's just amazing how many connections are up there.

Beth So exciting that you'll be in your new home soon.

Penny Sounds like you had a great lazy day. What's the sweater like and who is it for? My mother knit beautifully. When I have tried it got tighter and tighter and soon I couldn't even get the tip of the knitting needle under the yarn.

GardenerJoy I'm really with you on the new month, new start. I'm committed to 100 miles of hiking/elliptical (purposeful miles) and diligent tracking.

Curlyjax I'm sorry about how tough things are for you. As far as I'm concerned, you vent all you want. How is dd doing getting adjusted to college life?

Well you all have a great day. My brother and his wife arrive tonight, so I guess think about a dinner plan.
  • I forgot to weigh this morning, which is mildly annoying since I skipped snacks yesterday and was hoping to see a lower number. Oh well.

Multiple challenges today, including nothing to cook in the house. So, I'm going to work on a meal plan and groceries early -- that will make everything else easier.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A, Exercise: +35, 35/1200 minutes for October
  • Good morning!

I'm, again, having one of those I-have-a-long-ways-to-go depression waves. It was triggered by taking photos of myself in the completed sweater. Also seeing how much more my hair has greyed and the new glasses together did not help.

Eating was on plan and weight is still holding.

I have two music concerts this week. One is just me and dh going (Gary Numan), and the second is the first concert any of my kids have specifically requested. I've dragged them to many concerts but this was the first request. I am so proud! Ha! The 11 and 14yo want to see Owl City (new to me, they sound okay). It's on Friday and today they want to look for some cooler clothes to wear.

Bill, I accidently bought seeded grapes and you'd think I brought home inedible garbage by the way everyone reacted. We're so spoiled by seedless now!

Beth, the painting part is always so rewarding! Enjoy your day off from home improvements.

Karen, kudos for getting all the hiking training worked out already. The sweater I made is quite weird but called to my sense of humor. If you google bubble cardigan, it's the one with giant balls on the sleeves. Mine is green so it looks like stalks of brussels sprouts.

Joy, credit for eating well, even if you forgot to weigh. I guess you'll have to have another good day so you'll have that scale reward finally tomorrow.
  • Wednesday - State of Gojoseon founded by Dangun Wanggeom (2333 BC, Modern-day Korea)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – One of life's little problems. Last night we had dropped by to visit the DS's renovation and were headed home at 9 p.m. Had a flat in my Nissan LEAF electric car. This is one of those cars that extends its mileage by NOT including a spare tire. Instead, it includes a can of aerosol Fix-A-Flat to spray into the sad tire and magically drive away - one of life's worst ideas, in my humble opinion. Fortunately, we were near the DS's home to which we walked and begged a ride home. The car sits beside the road in a quiet neighborhood waiting for me to drop by today with the Donut Spare that I'd thoughtfully bought and stored in my basement for just this scenario. I can then drive it there, exchange it for the real tire, then solve my problem. Just to prove that I can do it, I might just Uber myself there with the Donut Spare so that DW doesn't have to chauffer me. It's a bummer, but one of life's minor bummers since there are solutions. A few decades ago, I would have gone right back in the dark and taken care of it last night. But, like most things, changing a tire is easier in the light. If I wasn't stubborn, when I get to the car with my Donut Spare, I can call AAA to do the exchange.

Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. Tuesday night at our house is always fresh fish that DW buys in the afternoon. Despite its purchase by Amazon, Whole Foods continues to market seriously fresh fish. Last night was Cod broiled indoors. I do like thinking about the history of Cod on our East Coast.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – That's a new scheme: skip snacks one day to prep for the scale; forget; then skip snacks again the next day. Rinse and repeat.

Karen (karenrn) – Kudos for sane eating at your book club. Yay for rain in Arizona, which we're led to believe is usually in need.

Penny. – Yep, photos can be a trigger. Congrats for raising kids who want to see a concert with you. LOL at he HORROR of coming home with grapes that contain seeds.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 14 Plan for Tomorrow

what are you thinking?

Sabotaging Thought: I'll write it down later.
    Helpful Response: I may not get to it later. I have to make this a priority right now.

• Credit for using weights and the stationary bike at home. I keep having some kind of wierd allergies- maybe its the fall, although i've never had them before. Maybe its my house, which does smell a bit moldy from the basement. I don't know what i'm supposed to do about that, it seems like an overwhelming thing to deal with now.
    yesterday at work I felt blamed for something and over reacted. I really miss having my old supervisor who could help me process and reframe things, and my DH who i could vent to.
    Credit for setting up a septic system cleaning in a few weeks, and setting up a phone call with a financial advisor to see if he can help me. I just want a little advice on thinking about money for the future.
    Penny- I am so impressed with how far you've come!! But i hear you about those depression waves....and photos.
  • I didn't weigh this morning because we had our saltiest supper and I ate something salty at lunch, too. I want to get to the point where the scale number is just data, not discouragement. But, today's not that day, so I'm giving myself a bit of grace. I'm confident that I'll get there.

Daily weighing streak: 0, Weigh-in: N/A, Exercise: +20, 55/1200 minutes for October

curlyjax: a dehumidifier did wonders for our basement when it smelled musty. We bought one at Home Depot. It's a little smaller than a dorm refrigerator so you and your DS will be able to handle it if you decide to go that route.
  • Good morning!

Eating was on plan and weight is still the same.

Yesterday was exhausting, doing the clothing shopping with the kids. It doesn't help that shopping is not a fav activity for me and I usually try and do it online if I can. Cool haircuts and clothes have been obtained for them. Check!

Bill, sorry about the flat. I hope it's not too big of an ordeal today.

Curly, sorry about the work drama. That stuff will keep me from falling asleep at night. Ugh!