suicidal feelings due to weight gain

• Does anyone else ever feel suicidal solely because they overweight/obese? Like things would be tolerable if not for being heavy? Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to shed this weight and I feel so overcome with despair...I don't have a plan or anything I just don't know how I can go on going into work every day looking like this...I'm not even the heaviest gal there but I just feel terrible about it...then I overeat and tell myself I'll do better starting tomorrow.

Today I have stuck to my weight loss plan but even when I eat the 1200 calories a day I am supposed to I feel like I shouldn't be eating at all, though I know that is ridiculous...just having a bad day. Woke up feeling incapable of doing anything and called off work, scared I'm not going to be able to keep up and am going to be fat AND unemployed.
  • Lady - So sorry to hear that you are dealing with these feelings. My daughter deals with depression issues and I know what a struggle she has sometimes. So, my question is....are you talking to anyone professionally regarding your depression? I'm glad to hear that you reached out here, but is there someone near you that can offer you real help? A professional can guide you through your issues and suggest solutions. In my daughter's case, she needed medication. That was hard for her to admit, but it has been a real help for her. She is getting up and heading to work and making changes in her life. Please, please, please get professional help if you truly are having suicidal thoughts. You are not alone and help is out there!
  • Lady Binger, I second everything boatingmommy said. Please get professional help. The National Suicide Hotline is 1800 273 8255. I hope you stay here as a 3FC member too--it can really help to read about and virtually talk with others struggling with similar issues. You can overcome how you're feeling. You're not alone.
  • I agree with what is said above, and will add a few things Ladybinger. I don't know what your current weight is, or if your goal of 100 is reasonable for your size, its sounds VERY low. DO you have unrealistic expectations around weight loss? Do you have body dysmorphia?
    And even though you may think that your feelings of depression and unhappiness are about your weight, its not necessarily true. Many people have lost weight, gotten to goal, got the body they wanted and then..... find they are still dealing with all the problems that life may bring. Weight loss does NOT cure depression. I have never heard of one person who was depressed, or suicidal who found that getting thinner helped. It is far more likely that being overweight is a symptom of depression that the other way around.
    Many members here struggle with depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. Sadly, that is part of life for many of us. Getting appropriate treatment when needed, and especially if you are in danger of harming yourself or others is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Immediately .
    You are in our thoughts are prayers.
  • Quote: Does anyone else ever feel suicidal solely because they overweight/obese? Like things would be tolerable if not for being heavy? Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to shed this weight and I feel so overcome with despair...I don't have a plan or anything I just don't know how I can go on going into work every day looking like this...I'm not even the heaviest gal there but I just feel terrible about it...then I overeat and tell myself I'll do better starting tomorrow.

Today I have stuck to my weight loss plan but even when I eat the 1200 calories a day I am supposed to I feel like I shouldn't be eating at all, though I know that is ridiculous...just having a bad day. Woke up feeling incapable of doing anything and called off work, scared I'm not going to be able to keep up and am going to be fat AND unemployed.
    OMG honey, no. Death is not the answer to our problems. I understand where you are going. I've been there before, I thought of ending my life because of weight gain. But I'm glad that a friend of mine helped me get out of where I was, in the dark place. She recommended me this detox tea that she used to losing weight. I was hesitant at first but girl, I am glad that I took a risk on trying it because I am now happy and I lose A LOT of weight from drinking the tea.
  • I am very sorry to read such things. However, feelings of helplessness and suicidal thoughts for this reason are not normal. Please look for help
  • I see a psychiatrist and and am on medication but I think I am going to reluctantly add a therapist as well..I did therapy in the past and never found it to be helpful. I'm 5 2 and weigh 167 pounds. Created a 1200 calorie meal plan and have overeaten 80 percent or higher of the days I've been on it (it's been about 16 days). Lost 1 pound I think. I get incredibly bored at night and don't want to do anything, watch anything - anything but eat.
  • I am so sorry you are feeling so down and terrible about this. I know that no one can really be inside your head and feel what you are feeling...but probably EVERYONE on this website has felt awful about themselves at some time in their life. But honey it should NOT be so bad as to think about suicide. I hope so much that the despair has lessened. You mentioned you had therapy before, perhaps you just didn't 'click' with the therapist, it sucks that you have to shop around for someone you connect with but sometimes that's the way. Best wishes to you and please come here for friendship if needed!!
  • Quote: I see a psychiatrist and and am on medication but I think I am going to reluctantly add a therapist as well..I did therapy in the past and never found it to be helpful. I'm 5 2 and weigh 167 pounds. Created a 1200 calorie meal plan and have overeaten 80 percent or higher of the days I've been on it (it's been about 16 days). Lost 1 pound I think. I get incredibly bored at night and don't want to do anything, watch anything - anything but eat.
    Hey, I just want to offer some love and support. I don't have all the answers but if your previous therapist was not working for you, please consider finding another one. Sometimes you have to try until you find the right fit for you, but therapy can work wonders.

I also had to try some different ways of eating until I found something that worked for me, which turned out to be a ketogenic diet. I have never felt better emotionally and haven't felt this good physically for 20 years, and I'm losing weight without starving myself or counting calories. It's not for everyone, but it works for me.

<3
  • Quote: Does anyone else ever feel suicidal solely because they overweight/obese? Like things would be tolerable if not for being heavy? Sometimes I feel like I'm never going to shed this weight and I feel so overcome with despair...I don't have a plan or anything I just don't know how I can go on going into work every day looking like this...I'm not even the heaviest gal there but I just feel terrible about it...then I overeat and tell myself I'll do better starting tomorrow.

sometimes I felt extremely depressed due to extra kilos. However, I know that what happened to my body is just my fault ... the more I could not deal with it. I never had suicidal thoughts, but if this situation happened - I would think to use the support of other people. If you can not help yourself, can you use the motivator, dietitian, trainer? maybe it will be important if you have a person who will motivate you and believe in you. I send you a lot of positive energy
  • Oh dear heart, I do hear ya. I was just reading a thread about Wellbutrin. How it can help with depression and does not cause weight gain. AND might even help with weight loss.

Have you discussed the suicidal feeling with your psychiatrist? Perhaps adding Wellbutrin to your other antidepressant might help? Maybe time for a meds adjustment or change?

I come from a family where fashion and "painfully thin" was always worshiped. My father, mother, aunt, grandmother were all in the women's fashion industry. Any extra weight was abhorred. And the person was negated and diminished for it. So I had a lot of extra depression about my body size. Everyone rejected me for it. (And I learned to reject myself). So I understand increased depression due to weight. But I think each of us is alive for an important reason. Please do everything in your power to get all the help you deserve. Adding the right therapist sounds like an awesome idea.

Keep posting here, dear heart. Sometimes I find that the most sensitive people (sensitive is a difficult gift) tend to be bigger in size. For a few reasons. My hope for you, and for all who are depressed, is that the depression will lift. And hope is restored.
  • You should get help from family and friends or maybe even a psychiatrist, i know the feeling....but a mild happy pill did the trick for me
  • Yeah man, weight can definitely be one of those things lead to depression,

but there is no need to feel bad about your body, it is all in your mind, you can turn this to a positive experience, ask yourself what do you want and then engage yourself to a some program that lets you achieve your goal, if its gym so be it-- but here is the catch, do not put pressure on yourself, take your time to enjoy it, take is as your feel good session, do not expect immediate results, it will take time but enjoy the ride as you get to your goal.
  • LadyBinger: I'll bet you are like so many young women that have unrealistic goals. 5'2"and 167 lbs is really just kinda of a little bit on the on the plump side, I'll bet you look just fine. Your goal of 100 lbs is way to low, that's underweight at 18.3 BMI . You only have to lose 31 lbs to get down to 136 and have a normal BMI of 24.9. Plenty ( maybe most ? ) have an extra 30 lbs, it really is pretty average and plenty of guys don't mind it one bit !

1200 calories is too tough to maintain, do it slow, maybe more like 1700 calories and you wont kill yourself trying to maintain that caloric intake and be able to still lose, even if you set a shorter term goal of like 150, you can achieve it in time and feel good about yourself, you might find yourself stuck there for awhile as those last 10-15 lbs are the toughest to lose.

Plenty of us are far fatter and not suicidal at all. I'm a 6' tall guy that weighs 295, I'd have to get to 183 to get to my BMI under 25, so I'm 112 lbs away from that. I've been stuck at 290-300 lbs for many months. I was 340 at my peak and the first 40-50 lbs came off easily. It's easy to lose that amount when you have so much to lose.

My doctor has been very supportive and doesn't fat shame me, I really enjoy seeing her. She is maybe 40 lbs overweight herself, so she knows what its like to have a bit of a weight issue herself, she compliments me having lost the 45 lbs in only 6 months or so. She gives me realistic goals like eventually getting to 225 lbs instead of 183, and a shorter term goal of more like 265 in maybe a year.

The right physician for you can make all the difference in the world ! Somehow I always wind up with female doctors ( which I actually prefer). I didn't like my previous primary care provider nearly as much as the current one. The other one was a total fitness fanatic type and she ran marathons as a hobby, naturally she very fit and skinny. She would make me feel bad about my weight and I used to hate going to see her. I think I gained weight when she was my PCP !

I can't stress enough how important the right people helping you in your care make so much difference. I sincerely hope you achieve your aims, luv !