Grilled Sweet Potatoes - Phase II

• This would be a Phase II.

Grilled Sweet Potatoes
    - peel a sweet potato and cut into 1/2" slices
    - mix together 3 TBSP of olive oil, 1 tsp thyme, a sprinkle of cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste
    - stir it into the potato slices
    - shove it under the grill
    - flip frequently until "done"

I'm not sure about the number of servings. My DH and I LOVE this, and have it every second day.
  • Hey Ellis,

Do these get crispy, especially if you cut them thin? I have been reading the message boards looking for some new food ideas, and I am intrigued by this one...
  • I had these quite often before starting SBD, and I could never get them crispy w/o burning them. Even when they're a little more 'chewy,' however, they're soooo yummy!
  • No, they don't get crispy. But they're really wicked!
  • Ellis, I tried these for the second time tonight, this time with a little brown sugar substitute in addition to the olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Yumm-O! Thanks for sharing. I don't typically even like sweet potatoes.
  • I have a question about sweet potatoes. What's the difference between a sweet potatoe and a yam. In some gorcery stores it's called a yam and in others it's called a sweet potatoe but they look the same to me. Reading the SB book, yams is not on the list of foods to enjoy. So I'm a little confused.

Thanks,

Anna
  • Anna, the grocery stores always mix the name up. A sweet pototo is sort of long and red and smooth. The yams are darker and hairy-looking.

Fuzzy, I'm glad you liked them! I'm with you... I normally can't stand the things...
  • At my grocery store, the yams were larger and orange in color, and the sweet potatoes were long and thin and "white" in color. I fried my sweet potatoes too, but I used alittle splenda and cinnamon. They are good !!
  • Does anyone know if these can be baked?

Thanks,

~Gail
  • I don't see why not, Gail.
    I'd bake them at a fairly high temperature... 400ish? And keep an eye on them... I don't know how long they'd take. Maybe around 20 plus minutes? You might want to flip them mid-way.
  • I do bake them and then sprinkle a little nutmeg on top. Next time I will probably spray a little butter spray on too.
  • I do mine like that too, or with a little splenda and cinnamon instead of the spices to make a dessert out of them. I generally use just half a sweet potato (no one else in my family likes them, and I can't polish off a whole one by myself) and usually bake them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, without flipping them over at all. I have to be really careful how I slice them - any less than .5" and they burn, any more and they're too mushy. But the ones that I get right are delicious!
  • I make these with my crinkle cutter and put them on my indoor grill. With just salt and pepper they are great with a steak. I don't miss the white potatoes at all.

Tennie
  • I bake them at thanksgiving and serve them with ICBINB spray and a little bit of sugar free syrup (I was on Atkins prior to this...a couple of years ago). Even my husband liked them!!
  • I just tried drizzling some of that Davinci's carmel syrup, and a dash of splenda. Super yummy. I got the idea from Texas Roadhouse's Loaded Baked Potato. It's full of marshmallows and carmel syrup.