Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 9 of 11
Go to
  • Morning. Went to the physio yesterday as the DB couldn't make his appointment because of flu. I had a few niggles in my usual places but hadn't thought it was serious enough to see the physio yet, and perhaps exercise would sort it out. Lo and behold, I have much more energy this morning!

Going shopping now and will collect a book that's arrived at the library for me.
  • Oh, phooey - I read the notes this morning and realize my post didn't make it in from last night. Oh well. And I'd felt like more of a contributor finally. C'est la vie.

The snow that they've been predicting has been falling for awhile this morning. I'm still in bed, having gotten up and brewed a cup of tea, returned to bed with a very happy dog whose allowed to curl up with me on the covers ... as DH fell asleep on the couch late last night and I've left him sleeping soundly out there. I secretly like time in the cozy bed all alone. I've opened the bedroom blinds to the top so the picture window is just the snow flying, heavy and fast. Peace. I do need to reheat my tea after emailing my sister apparently way too long of a note that I forgot my hot tea.

Am averaging a whopping 0.3 pounds lost per week so far on WW. A friend suggested I not eat any 0 point foods but those are the healthiest - fruits, veg and lean proteins, but in a search online, I'm finding that previously pleased WW folks are frustrated with gaining on this new program. I know you can find whatever you're looking for online but I have to get this figured out pronto.

Food plan today includes a frozen Trader Joe's three-cheese pizza as a snow day treat. I have salad fixings and the oven on will be nice. Also will review pantry and freezer and make up menu plan for the week. Marketing will be done quickly tomorrow, and want to keep it fairly light, so need to be creative. I need to update my excel sheet with several soups I make that I forget about.

House goal for today is to take some time to pull more items for goodwill. I'm still holding onto the smaller clothes that I wore last year but decided to clear out the smaller clothes that I did NOT wear when I could. That's a tell. A sundress that I love does me no good if I'm too old to confidently wear a halter top dress. Even if it was a great deal and is well-made, etc. I kept saving some items so when I meet up with my cousin, I could see if she wanted them. Maybe I just ask her if she wants me to post them her way, and if not, she can drop at Goodwill since she stops there regularly and it won't be an imposition. I was surprised the other day to see she was ringing me and what a joy to catch up with her, no matter the topic. Then she rang again after work. I'm so thankful. I'm hopeful she's coming a bit out of her funk. I brought up the possibility of us meeting up this summer and she's like I think you need to plan it otherwise it won't happen. So plan I will!

Silverbirch - Great to hear that you've got more pep today. Fingers crossed that carries forward.

OneByOne - I had you in my thoughts and then Bill reached out in a note - I hope you're doing well and look forward to your next check in.

Maryann - Credit for finding a solution that you're comfortable with - good luck with JC.

Beth - How long is your conversion from the product to natural food when you reach the point when you're ready to do that? Do they do it a meal at a time and then a month and then add in another meal, etc.? Curious on that front. You have many skills I would love to grow - seamstress, woodworker... ahh.

CurlyJax - I hope you and your DD and DS are navigating life OK this weekend. How many years apart are the kids? I'm thankful that your job provides the time for you to tackle all of the things you must do now. It almost seems like it takes a full year to get through the cycle of forms and things to handle. Agree on the elec snowblower - I'm one who HATES the batteries that always seem to need to be replaced and are never remotely inexpensive and never seem to fully charge well after a short period of time. That's just a peeve of mine - I just want to plug and go to work.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome Weekend! Spring is outside my window and the forecast is 80 by Thursday. This a little soon for us. We need more rain. Nationalparker's snowy day seems more natural. Oh well, I'll take advantage and take a walk. The first week of my NS plan calls for limited exercise because it's pretty low in calories. although I am willing to go "with the flow" on just about everything else, I must continue to walk for my moods. I also decided to slip a little milk/creamer in my coffee. I don't believe in going below 1200 calories. Other than that, I have turn off the "judgo-meter" in my brain and have followed directions. The food is what it is and I am enjoying the freedom of no freedom. It is Beck at its finest - I know exactly what I will eat today, tomorrow and the next day. This freed up brain space is going to constructive exercises: go through my closet like Beth. Yes! Slacks are the hardest. I bought some at the consignment store. I also want to go through the budget. Tonite i Bye, Bye, Birdie at the high school.

Two big resistance credits: No big soft cookies at the art expo my son was playing at (first violin). They are my downfall. I passed by the free cupcakes at Sam's club. The frosting is my favorite. In fact, I had binged on one just last month. It feels good to be on a new path.

Nationalparker: good for you trying to tweak the program so that it works rather than chuck the whole thing.

We can do this.
  • Hi everyone.

Tonight is a night I'm going to bed hungry. I don't have much choice--it's almost 1 in the morning, I have had my 5 products for today, and I want some food. But hunger is not an emergency if my blood sugar isn't crashing and it isn't--so I'm going to bed hungry.

Exercise today was the March for our Lives. DD and I went. The program was really good and then we walked (slowly) in a large group. We didn't bring signs, but there were lots of signs.

Tomorrow I will go the gym and walk the gym track, unless it's much warmer than expected.

I tried on a bunch of clothes--the pants all fit, but the tops are all about 10 lbs too small. So are the dresses, but they're summer dresses so I packed all of them back up and will put in a closet for another month or so (since I'm losing about 10 lbs per month) Maybe they'll fit for the change in weather!

maryann: There really is something freeing in not having choices. I didn't know that would be the case but it turned out to be. It's as close to giving up food altogether than I can manage. I'm glad it's starting out well for you.

nationalparker: Sounds like you're looking for the right path within WW. I hope you find out what the line is.

For transitioning, I know we transition one meal at a time, but I don't know how long we stay with that single meal before adding in a second one. I hope it's at least 2 weeks--slowly is better than fast! If I continue as I'm doing, I could stay on the meal replacement plan into July (total of 26 weeks). As part of transitioning, I'll have dietitian support to work out what I'm going to eat and how much of it.

silverbirch: I'm so glad to hear you're getting your energy back. (Aren't libraries great?)

--Beth
  • Saturday was a better day than I've had for some time. I bought some timber to redo part of the shed roof, went to the library and decided I'd re-walk the stairs in a building across the road which had hurt my knees and quads on Thursday night. (I'd been to a talk, the lift was slow so I walked up to the fifth floor.) It was fine! The physio on Friday afternoon has obviously sorted out some malingering problem. This newish public building is the only one I can think of round here with so many floors. I think I'll make walking up to the top part of my exercise programme. The views are spectacular so seeing them through the seasons will be lovely too. Then, yesterday afternoon, I put up a curtain rail at the front door. It's been waiting to be done for quite a few months. I am very pleased with myself as there were quite a few hiccups (old house) but all is working well now. Now we have to get a ceiling-to-floor curtain (have a short one rigged up temporarily). I'm considering dusty pink velvet. Food was quite good.

Beth, going to bed hungry works quite well for me but I eat so many vegetables it doesn't seem to happen much.

maryann, good for you, trying a new path.

nationalparker, Goodwill work sounds excellent.
  • Ii'm doing a little better with dealing with hunger. Although last night I did slip up with Cadbury creme eggs which are disgusting but I love them. Easter needs to hurry up and be over! I'm having exhuasting days with DD- we have these supportive chats where we are close, and on the same day we are yelling at each other. I REALLY miss my DH at those times. I am the only one she leans on and its hard, she has no interest in talking to a counselor. Sometimes its my fault, like last night I over reacted, but geez at 11:00 at night I don't want to deal with anything. at least I didn't eat over it.

Silverbirch- physio sounds great. I need to get back to a physical therapist, which I believe is the same thing. My hip is killing me. Libraries are indeed wonderful. Good on you for all the house work.
    Nationalparker- good luck with new plan. It does sound like a challenge, I don't understand how so many foods can be 0 points. My kids are 2 1/2 years apart.
    Maryann- good job on resisting some treats that you like!
    Beth-great you went to March for our lives. I'm sorry I missed it, but I somehow couldn't pysch myself up for it.
  • phone check in,

Day 4 and The plan is getting easier. I know it won't always be so I must not take these days for granted. Maybe easy isn't the word. Maybe the word is relief. My meds are changing and school which was once my haven produces anxiety . This predictive food program takes away a worry. Good enough . Four days till spring break. I am looking forward to it

Good practice at breakfast. The product was bleh! I reminded myself it was just one meal and there will be others. I moved on.

Silverbirch: you're a dynamo! That was a lot to accomplish.
  • Hi everyone!

Today was a lazy day where I accomplished nothing but laundry. I do feel relaxed though!

Food was short a product since I slept so late, but I have managed to get my water in. No exercise :-(. This has got to change. I'm working on getting my mind around it but don't have a good plan yet.

maryann: Some plans do get easier as you get used to them. A bleh meal is no fun, though.

curlyjax: Easter candy is tough. Your daughter may not have interest in talking to a counselor--is it something it is worth forcing--for your sake as well as hers? I don't know.

silverbirch: It is so cool that you are fixing your shed roof! Stairs are a great exercise--it's good to find a building where that works.

--Beth
  • Thanks, everyone. I had more energy yesterday too, and made a couple of banana and walnut loaves as the SO and I are going to be away for a few days and the DS will be at home by himself.

I'll be at my mum's and energy will be needed there. But, first, I'm going to have my hair cut as I pass through London! It will good to see my hairdresser. He cuts it two or three times a year and it lasts well.

Beth, a day of relaxation is a good thing. How about starting exercise with something very small? A very short walk, for example. Or a few stretches? Then be consistent and build it up from there. Do you have enough energy, though, on such a low calorie diet?

maryann, the Easter holiday has just started here. And your spring break will be in your grasp very soon!

curlyjax, much sympathy over those 11pm chats. I run out of steam too.
  • Monday - Dr. Jonas Salk announces polio vaccine (1953)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Travel plus family is a tough time for exercise and sane eating. I did well in spots, but often fell short in the eating choices. The good choices, CREDIT moi: I avoided the hotel's FREE waffle at breakfast - I know them to taste like Wonder Bread and to absorb an enormous quantity of syrup; I avoided pastries at the memorial service, although it was partially because they would clash with the BBQ chicken wings that I didn't avoid. I also avoided a GIANT pretzel covered in mustard when a relative sought to buy each of us one. I had an apple in my pocket that I ate - so for one moment I felt like a rational eater.

Walked, CREDIT moi, around the museums of the Washington, D.C. mall area. Met a couple of students from Parkland, Florida who were in D.C. for the March for Life. They were articulate and dedicated. And young and optimistic. The new National Museum of the American Indian is housed in a stunning building that evokes the South-west. A history of the treatries between different Indian Nations and the U.S. government is presented in detail. Newly build examples of canoes and other boats in the lobby can be touched and admired. The Air and Space museum remains as grand as ever. The Botanical Gardens is hosting an orchid show - saw more orchids than I have in my life. Made me proud of how our country shows itself.

silverbirch – Yay for fixing one's body with exercise. Wonderling how long "a couple of banana and walnut loaves" will last with your DB.

maryann - Yep, too much caffeine just doesn't work.

nationalparker – In bed with hot tea and a warm dog sounds like heaven.

curlyjax - Going to be hungry is a big step - Kudos.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super to go shopping in your old clothes - what fun! Glad you made it to the March for our Lives. When we got to the D.C. Mall on Sunday, only one sign was left lying around. The zillion signs from the marchers were all cleaned up.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Did this suggestion trigger sabotaging thoughts? Many dieters tell me, "If I make changes, I'll have to tell everyone I'm dieting. I'm worried I could fail on this diet, too. Then everyone will know. So it's better not to let anyone know." If you're having such thoughts, you're going to need a strong response or you may decide not to make environmental changes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 90.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome back, BBE. D.C. mall is one of my favorite places. I don't mean to be dense or ironical but I thought instead of American Indian it would be called Native American. Is American Indian back in style. I only ask because my school is about 40% Indian. Sikh to be specific. Interesting.

silverbirch: take care to not exhaust yourself at yr mothers. You just got back on your feet.
    beth: I get trying to fit exercise in . . I know you work at home now which is tough. When I have faced this issue ( mostly when I was finishing my masters) I made myself get up and walk around the block for five minutes every hour. I had to do this because my PT said I could really mess my neck up if I sat in one place too long. I would walk a few times and then a few breaks I would lift my arm weights. Somehow doing it for "movement" instead of a "diet" motivated me.

Day was OP including exercise. I have a four day week because we get Good Friday off. So much for separation of church and state Yesterday day was the first day I felt hungry. I am sure it was because of the exercise. I pulled out a Beck "standard" and said "Oh Well." Weight is at ticker. Today's granola cereal was perhaps a fourth of what I would normally serve myself so I really am learning portion control.
  • Hello, coaches! Another workweek underway. A super busy morning after hours on the computer last night. I got so much done on the weekend that it really helped today. Stayed in points today, always helped by the 0 point split pea soup for lunch. I was thinking to try to adjust the plan to work better (as in FREAKIN' LOSE WEIGHT) despite being within points every week of the six weeks so far ... and I THINK my plan will be to cut sugar and up healthy fats - avocado, olive oil, etc. I think that aligns closer with the FMD plan. Of course, I didn't actually come up with this until I had a few tiny (they're 3/4" long) choc covered pretzel sticks. Counted and moved on but setting that intention here.
  • Hi everyone!

I was short on water today :-(. I'll have to do better tomorrow. I didn't go for a walk tonight because I was waiting for a phone call--which didn't come. Frustrating. (and it was one I needed to take at home with DH)

Food was fine. I dropped my ticker today.

nationalparker: I'm glad to hear you're adjusting your plan. It seems as if all the 0 points aren't getting you where you want to be.

maryann: You might be right--I need to force myself to get up more. Today I forced myself to go up and down stairs immediately rather than grouping trips. Thanks for reminding me about "oh well".

BillBlueEyes: Those waffles smell so darned good. But you're right, they're not good enough for their effect.

silverbirch: Your exercise is really ramping up--that bout of flu really took a lot out of you. (I have plenty of energy--especially considering how little I'm eating--I certainly have enough to take a 30 minute walk!)

--Beth
  • I'm now at my mother's. I had packed lunch which was good as I didn't have time to have a meal in London. I'd also ordered food to be delivered from a supermarket so we had something to eat when I arrived. Today looks OK for food as well, so I can get on with other things. I'll be walking to a bed shop to find a new mattress which will be a good stretch after sitting on the train for ages yesterday. Many thanks, maryann, for your warning not to exhaust myself. It's so easy to do that here. Part of my pre-flu plan to avoid that was the groceries delivery in advance, so I'm not always walking to the shops to buy food. I always have a long rest after lunch when I'm here. It's on the same principle as with babies: sleep when they sleep!

beth, like maryann, I set the timer and get up every 20-30 minutes when I'm working at a desk for long stretches of time. I can do a full workout through the day sometimes.

nationalparker, split pea soup - yummy. We had smoked bacon and lentil soup last night. Good idea to cut sugar and increase healthy fat.

maryann, interesting how you're learning about portion control.

Bill, "Travel plus family is a tough time for exercise and sane eating" - you're quite right! Sounds as though you packed in lots of things in Washington. You had an apple in your pocket? Good work, that man!
  • Tuesday - First long-distance telephone call (1884, from Boston to New York)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – After all the work that I did cleaning the print head of my HP color inkjet printer to no avail, it finally started working. Apparently, it needed all that work PLUS a few days for the pads to soak themselves with ink PLUS one more 'Clean Print Heads' command to the printer. CREDIT moi for persistence that bordered on just plain stubbornness. Of course, I don't know how long this will continue. But it was refreshing to just print the few pages that I needed last night.

My goal for today is to make progress reading my book club's book before Wednesday night. When we postponed due to snow last week, I wasn't yet done. I dallied putting my time into the trip to Washington, D.C. Now I have to play catch up again. So that's my preferred style. Oh Well.

silverbirch – LOL at "sleep when they sleep!" Yep, that's the time. Seems smart to have food delivered to save time.

maryann - Kudos for pulling out your Beck "Oh Well." I, too, am surprised that 'Native American' wasn't used for the national museum. Perhaps those in South America and Central America, who were also well represented, have different perspectives.

nationalparker – The best news about mindful eating is that healthy fats include avocados and olive oil - just the best.

Beth (bethturnaround) – I HATE HATE HATE waiting for a phone call - particularly when the calling party has no idea that they're causing me inconvenience. Congrats for "I dropped my ticker today."

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Consider the following:

You don't have to tell people you're dieting. You can tell them that you've decided to eat in a more healthful way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 90.