Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 8 of 11
Go to
  • Wednesday - The French civil code, the Code Napoleon, adopted (1804)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Went to bed tired from events - not from exercise. The good news: I was able to get the missing IRS Form 1099 from the Fidelity website; I found my passport carefully hidden with a stash of Euros after looking for a week; our trip to our accountant went smoothly, despite finding out that the new tax law means that the tax benefits of charitable contributions is removed; found a parking place in our accountant's section of Boston that yields them reluctantly. The bad news: Fidelity Investments failed to send me IRS Form 1099 because my address wasn't verified, despite sending me a statement each month to the place where I've lived for decades; Fidelity security wanted to verify my address by sending a text message to my landline which, quite pleased with itself, ignores such nonsense, but wouldn't let me add my cell phone, which also quite pleased with itself does accept text message, to my account because my address wasn't verified; the Avis website doesn't like me; my HP printer still isn't printing. All First-World problems, I know, but the kind that grind into the spirit. Now to go plan for Nor'easter Toby who is predicted to dump 8-12 inches of snow that will break the old March record.

Eating was OK. I made dinner from the appetizers after a lecture; tried to balance the cheese and crackers with really good fresh fruit. The lecture was about 37-thousand-year-old art. Humans have been artists just forever. The cave drawings recently discovered in France rival those long ago discovered in Spain. Yay for humans being creative long before they bothered discovering the wheel.

maryann - LOL at "I will not eat as if it is the last hurrah."

nationalparker – Neat to create a maze issue to help you stay with your walking in the auditorium. When you need support during your busy season, be grateful that you're not an accountant during the month before taxes are due. Kudos for posting despite being so busy.

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts for the pain of dealing with a lawyer for probate. Kudos for continuing with water aerobics to sooth the body and soul.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats on those 27 pounds gone - by determination and consistent, hard work. Low carb is hard with all the pastas and sweets offered at every turn.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 6 Find a Diet Coach
    Once I have a diet coach who is
    regularly supporting me and helping
    me, dieting will be easier.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 89.
  • quick wave coaches. The meeting with the lawyer went well, very nice woman who was easy to talk to. I also made contact with the accountant who sounded a bit frazzled- i'm sure they hate this time of year! but I'm on track with that as well. Now I need to send my financial aid documents to one more college and then other stuff can wait a bit. I'm so grateful to be able to afford to hire people to do this stuff.
    I bought a ready made stirfry from Whole Foods yesterday (minus any protein) and may whisk out to get a rotisserie chicken before the storm hits. Wave to all!
  • Hello, coaches! At least with the workday and evenings being jam-packed, the week is moving along toward the weekend. How did you folks fare in line for the 101st Nor'easter?

Got home late and wanted to just talk DH into going to Panera for dinner so I didn't have to prep the veg, cook, clean up ... but then thought, "I have everything and the baguette will be stale tomorrow..." decided on homemade spicy chicken and ditalini soup (like Carrabba's) and heated up the baguette. The whole soup except for the ditalini was 0 points on ww and the baguette was 4 for 2 oz.

Despite staying on plan, weight up nearly two pounds today. I'm so beyond frustrated I am just going to stick with eating healthfully in normal portions and see how it shakes out. I can't figure it out and it's totally getting in my head.

Hoping to get in for an eye appt. tomorrow if I can get out of work a bit early. If not, I'll make an appt for next week. Our taxes are on the plan for the weekend. We keep a folder of everything that's needed through the year, then print whatever forms we need and then do a crosscheck before starting. I want to get them rolling now.
  • Hi everyone!

I intended to exercise today but instead said 'yes' when DH asked if I wanted to put the new shelf unit together for the garage. We did some reorganization since the new rack will be behind the trash bins, so it'll be for less frequently accessed items. (We needed somewhere to store all the woodworking tools we've been accumulating)

Bill--you'd be impressed at how neat our garage is. DH used to clean the garage for an afternoon every couple of months. Then I stepped in and it took us 2 weekends (plus some nights) to clean the garage. But it's pretty much stayed that way until we moved. And when we moved, all those labelled plastic boxes stayed labeled :-)

DH did some carrying today for me--clothes that don't fit to the basement, and the current size to upstairs. I'll have to try things on to see what fits and what doesn't--it'll be like living in a changing room at a store!

However, garage work or not, I have to start exercising--I'm really not doing so at all. I've got to work through that and make it happen. Eating on plan isn't enough. I'm also not sure I got enough water in today. Will have to starting tracking that more carefully.

--Beth
  • Quick post. Credit for fitting in exercise when I got in yesterday evening!

Today is off to a poor start as the surgery (=doctor's office) has lost my prescription and I'll have to go back again. It was closed for training when I called to collect it yesterday afternoon. Every time I go there something goes wrong. So I should be pleased they are taking training seriously.

I have eaten a second breakfast partly because of this. Regrettable but there we are.

I will walk to the end of the road and back today (quiet little workout to keep things moving along).

Good luck, everyone. Try to stick to the high road.
  • Thursday - Persia is renamed Iran (1935)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the DGD day (two and a half years old!!!). She showed me her notebook - a cherished gift because it came in a purple pouch decorated with a unicorn. "I can write in it," she said proudly showing me her 'signature'. I admired the heart on her shirt. "It's not a shirt, Granddad, it's a sweatshirt." This getting corrected for sheer ignorance starts early. Conversation goes non-stop with no hesitation on her part. I have to pause to think because my brain just isn't as fast as hers. We changed plans to stay at her house to avoid round trip driving in the forecasted heavy snow. The snow never arrived.

The evening ended with the snow not here yet. Alas, we had postponed our book club due to the threats. Right this minute, there is a light dusting of snow falling. 5-8 inches is still predicted. Anticipating snow is a drag. Eating was OK; not great because of an unplanned afternoon snack. Have to spend some time today getting ready to travel to Washington, D.C., for a memorial service this weekend.

silverbirch – Kudos for a little workout when that's what's possible.

nationalparker – This is indeed the weather for homemade soup. Good luck with your taxes; it feels so good when it's done.

curlyjax - Yay for hiring people to tend to financial stuff. Latest on Nor'easter Toby: It's still coming.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Yep, I'm impressed with the thought of an organized garage. Thanks for reminding me that it takes time to get organized. I just sit and wish my basement would take care of itself.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 7 Arrange Your Environment

I find it difficult to have junk food staring me in the face. At home, I make sure it's all on a high shelf in a cupboard or in the freezer. I don't keep food in my office or in my car because I don't always have the mental energy to resist urges to eat - particularly at the end of the workday. The dieters with whom I work also have found this practice to be a valuable strategy for losing weight and maintaining their weight loss.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 90.
  • Phone check in.

Day 1 turbo start breakfast was a 2 inch diameter chocolate muffin. I declared to my boys "This will be great. " I am acting my why into right thinking. The truth is I am happy to have started on a new venture even with reservations. I have already learned in one sitting somethingabout portion control. Truth is I am not hungry just with one meal. We'll see what the long run brings.
  • I had never heard of the Beck diet until stumbling across it on this site. I'm trying to lose weight this time without some wild diet with a bunch of restrictions. So obviously, I'm super curious and digging through these forums for more information. I found the Beck diet site on Facebook and am already in love with the daily motivational quote. Thankful to have this forum and such a wonderful support network.
  • Hi everyone!

So, I had to work downtown today and also go to a bar after work. (Yeah, rough life, but it's expected).

So, I walked the almost-mile from work to the bar, and walked the mile from the bar to the train station to go home. (I missed my train and had to take a Lyft, but even so, I got some walking in, and I've been negligent about that!)

While out, I drank a carafe of water by myself (and then asked for a refill) and ate one of my bars. I enjoyed the smell of the fried calamari and other things, but didn't indulge at all. And since I drank water nonstop, I know I got my 64 oz in today.

ckb02ckb: Welcome! The Beck books are available on Amazon (of course), including as e-books. What meal plan are you following?

maryann: How did the rest of your day go? Is the food tasty? It's been amazing to me how much more I was eating than I needed.

BillBlueEyes: I love hearing about your granddaughter. Sounds like you didn't get your snow exercise, though!

silverbirch: A walk on a quiet road sounds really pleasant.
  • Welcome ckb02ckb
    ckb02ckb

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you discovered Dr. Beck's books by finding this forum on 3FC.

How did you discover 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Friday - Lewis and Clark begin their return journey east (1806, Fort Clatsop)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Alas, we had no snow yesterday, either. Schools and businesses had shuttered. Events were cancelled - just to make a free day for us all. I had lunch with old friends where I had fish; avoided the FREE fried onion rings; ate only half the whole wheat seeded bun; and ate a green salad. CREDIT moi for doing well at a restaurant.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library to pick up a book of photographs from space, View From Above: An Astronaut Photographs the World by Commander Terry Virts. I'll learn how to take pictures from the Space Shuttle - just in case I get selected for a future mission. It wasn't difficult to reserve a car in Washington, D.C. for this weekend; I just had to pay a surcharge because it was Spring Break. Uber has caused dynamic pricing to be used everywhere. I'll be offweb until Monday. Have a good weekend.

onebyone – Waving. You'd find artistic inspirations from the photographs of astronauts in the book I mentioned. Hope all is going well for you.

maryann - Yay for an eating plan that calls for a chocolate muffin for breakfast.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Continue to admire how you savor the smells of good food while sticking to your plan. Yay for walking to and fro.

ckb02ckb - Neat that you already know that you don't want "some wild diet with a bunch of restrictions." That's such a good start. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 7 Arrange Your Environment

It's especially important to avoid environmental triggers when you're first starting your diet. "Out of sight, out of mind" is a good policy right now. Although you won't necessarily have to reduce environmental triggers forever, you may decide, as I have, that you prefer to keep certain foods out of sight even after you've lost weight. Today, I'd like you to prepare your home and work environments by putting tempting foods where you won't easily see them - and by putting wholesome foods allowed by your diet in plain view.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 90.
  • two nights ago I went to bed hungry and i survived I don't think I ate supper that night- I was partially sequestered in my room ticked off at DD, and also absorbed on the computer. A great reminder that i can deal with hunger, and I can not emotionally eat. I'm going to need to accept the fact that I will be hungry on occasion if I really want to shake some of this weight. As long as I don't get to that nauseous feeling of hunger I can cope, a great reminder.
    Bill- sorry you have another memorial service to go to. Can't believe DGD is 2 1/2 already!
    Beth- great job walking and drinking (water I mean- you are doing so great!
    ckb02ckb- welcome!
    wave to all- i'm going to make myself do my leg exercises right now, i have been terrible about them.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

I did very well for the first day of Nutrisystem. The novelty is fun: "Open package two for dinner." I was not hungry at all and since yesterday was a shrink day, I was relieved to not have to go into the kitchen for more than a moment. (Thursday night the boys go out for pizza.) I am going to learn a lot about my eating habits, I can tell. I feel like i am starting ahead of the game because I was already drink the water and don't drink alcohol. They only negative was a "powerboost" thing I was suppose to put in my water and it made me sick. I think it had caffeine and I had already had my allotment. Weight is a pound up from ticker which is great because after a fancy dinner I was scraping the sealing of the 160s.

I am also going back to the basics of Beck. I ate my little muffin at the table with my son. I have not been eating at the dinner table.

curlyjax: you re abolutely right. It takes being willing to go to bed a little hungry to lose weight.
    Beth: credit for the walking and the water. We should carry around celebration fanfares in our phones and blare them when we do great but anonymous things.
    BBE: Safe travels to D.C.
    Welcome: ck02ckb. I have found a great deal of peace here in my struggles with food. The pink Beck book really helped me in the beginning.
  • Late night check in. I have one product left to eat with veggies. I continue not hungry. I have to choose a veggie dinner - no meat Fridays. Exercise at the gym was light. The program says I should take it easy with the first week. Will do.super glad it is Saturday tomorrow.
  • Hi everyone!

Food on plan. No exercise. I don't think I've even left the house today, actually.

I did start sorting out bins of clothes in preparation for trying things on. The only thing I don't seem to have are slacks--I don't like any of the pairs I found in storage--just too wide of legs. The tops, jackets/cardigans I found are all gorgeous, though, as well as a couple of nice dresses. So, I will be going shopping, but only for slacks--and probably only a couple of pairs.

maryann: Sounds like you're doing great with the nutrisystem.

curlyjax: I'm sorry things were tense with DD. It must be so hard for all of you. Going to bed hungry is hard--but as Beck says, hunger is not an emergency.

BillBlueEyes: Definitely credit for doing well at a restaurant! It's hard when there are so many delicious sounding choices!