NEW getting out of the 170's

You're on Page 2 of 7
Go to
  • Was originally 201lb at the beginning of Sep and went down to 175lb by Dec, however I have just restarted my journey after a difficult 3 months (young loss in the family)- went from 185.6 on the 17th March to being 178.4 today on the 1st April. I still have 4 more lb to go to being back to my weight before I gained back, and as such, feeling like I’m actually making progress again- wish me luck.
  • I briefly moved into the 160s in March. But first week of April was a lovely, and much-needed, holiday, so I have bumped back into the 170s.

I hope to be in the 160s again, very soon....and then I will start depleting that decade to rest in the top of the 150s, I believe.

(I did live in the high 140s/low 150s for most of my 40s....MenoPause has caused me some grief!)

Anyway, "hi" to everyone.
  • I got my yoga time in, today. And ate protein only, for lunch. So, this feels like I am back-on-track.

I will weigh on Saturday and see how it is going.
  • So, Saturday weigh-in was not too, too bad. I feel like I can get back-on-track right away and should still lose some poundage in April. May will be a strong, strong month, for me, I feel.

I am going to a cardio class after work, today.

I ate a salad at lunch (dressing on the side - only dipped my fork in twice!) and also a piece of salmon.
  • Me too! Clocked in at 179.8 last two days in a row. Back up to 180 even this morning, hoping it's just water weight. I usually find it's a pattern where I'll stay the same for about 10 days and then drop 4-5 lbs overnight. Hoping the pattern remains the same. I want to be in the 160s already!!!

SW 235 - CW 179/180 - GW 135
  • No action in this thread for a while, but I saw 179.8 this morning, so I'm moving over here
    First time I've seen the 170s since around the time I got married in 2000, right out of college. I think I actually might have already been over 180 then, not sure. But definitely not since then. I fit back into a dress I wore around that same time. So I've removed nearly 20 years of gain.

I'm getting closer to goal weight, and finding it harder to maintain a deficit on a regular basis. Some days are good, others are around maintenance, but I'm picking away. If I can get to the 160s by Halloween, I'll be thrilled. My goal for the end of the year is 167.4 (100 pounds down total). So that would leave me just a couple pounds to lose over the holidays. I haven't weighed in the 160s since high school. So I am nearing the lowest I've ever been as an adult mark. I didn't actually start tracking my weight until 2005, so unfortunately, I don't know what that number is, but it isn't too far away.
  • So it has been about 5 weeks since I first saw the 170s and it has taken this long to make any progress at all into them. Until a few days ago, I was just maintaining +/- 180. But I finally feel like I'm making progress into the 170s. Was at 177.4 this morning. September looks to be a good month and I hope to make a lot of progress.
  • Glad I found a 170 thread. I started this journey so that I could fit into my old clothes. And. I missed the old me. Long story short version. I gained close to 100 pounds when my life fell apart for a long while and I overmedicated myself with sweets and carbs. Originally I thought my goal was 170. A lot of my old stuff fits now but If I want to wear a belt and tuck my shirts in Im going to need to lose this belly. So Im shooting for the 160,s.

Lost a lot of my weight on Medifast. Went into maintenance early at 172 while I still have some hair. Made it down to 170 briefly. Im winging it now. Not sure what diet Im doing now. Im counting carbs and protein. The online calculator says a sedentary 70 year old 5'10" woman needs 1600 calories to maintain 160.

I figure if I try to stay below 1500 and Im more active I should be losing. But its not happening. My weight has been yoyoing up and down daily. Mostly 172 to 174. One day it was 176 then the next day it was back down.

If Im doing something wrong here Im open to suggestions.
  • Phaedra: Good to see someone else in here with me. I'd love to help, but my scale does that too. I eat below maintenance and don't lose anything for weeks at a time. All I've got for advice is to track your average weight. If you are at a 100-300 calorie per day deficit, you should lose between 1 and 2.5 pounds per month. But with water weight fluctuations, it can be hard to see the loss behind the "noise". Tracking the average will let you know if you are, in fact, moving the right direction or not.

I've been hanging out right around 177 for about a week now, lowest I've seen has been 176.6. I rarely make progress the first week of each month. Too busy at work and too much stress. I hope to see some more new lows starting this week.

I said a few posts back that I'd love to see the 160s by Halloween. While that is still true, it doesn't look likely. Maybe by Thanksgiving, though.
  • Im shooting for 160 too. I think. I can wear most of my clothes now. But I still cant tuck stuff in. Too round around the waist. Im staying mostly between 172 and 174. A couple of days ago it shot up to 178. WTH. This am it was 170. I swear that scale is possessed.

I have been staying below 1500 calories. That's my high. Most days 1300 -1400. Im fairly active. Lots of yard work etc. Ill get more active once it cools off.

Good to see you too. 1 pound a month. Huh. At this rate Ill be 80 by the time I get to 160. By then I wont give a snit. JK

Halloween that sounds like a plan. Thanksgiving works too.
  • Once I actually got going into the 170s, it has gone pretty fast. Almost halfway through as of this morning, at 175.4. At this rate, I may make it by Halloween after all. Hoping for continued new lows for the next 2 weeks.
  • Lacerta

Good Job. Sounds like youre heading for a skinny Halloween.

Made it down to 170.2. Again. Annnd its back up again. So close. No cigar.
  • Thanks guys. I was completely wrong though. I had a great whoosh and then stalled. Since September 13th, I've only lost another 1.2 pounds. I tend to lose in stalls and whooshes, and I was coming off a whoosh and got over-excited and forgot about the stall part. I think 160s by Thanksgiving is more likely than Halloween. Fingers crossed for a big whoosh soon, but I think it'll take 2 whooshes to get me there, and I tend to stall for weeks in between. We'll see. But I was a new low again today at 174.2. I'm really hoping to see a 173.x this weekend.
    Phaedra, you were so close to the 160s 2 weeks ago, have you seen them yet?
  • Thanks. I got another new low this morning, a bit of a small whoosh, anyway, as it was about a pound down today to 173.4.

And I'd take inches lost over scale loss any day. Way to go.
  • Hey Lacerta Thanksgiving works too. JMO. Don't get so focused on what you don't got that you forget to celebrate what you do got. You've done an awesome job so far.

I did dip to 169.8 one day but the next day it was right back up there. I seem to have settled in at 171 to 172.

Ive loosened up on the food weighing and measuring. Being so focused on what I was eating made me think about food too much. Which made me want to eat all the time. Im staying away from the bad stuff and Im still checking the carbs and the cakories in stuff.

So for now Im just going to stay focused on maintaining what I got. I can fit into most of my clothes now. If I manage to lose some good If I don't Im not going to stress over it.

Its Fall. Its Red Head Season. Ill be flauntin me stuff. And it fits. Yay.