Join now! - slap down the winter pounds - 2018 challenge

You're on Page 10 of 20
Go to
  • Geesh. I'm starting off the week with some challenges - dog problems and truck problems. I believe my alternator is bad in my truck, and the battery is not charging as it should. I know I shouldn't procrastinate, but I'm trying to wait until Thursday morning to get my truck into a shop.

I know I'm taking a risk, but I'm keeping a portable charging device in the truck, that has a jump-start feature. I was successful in using it, when my truck wouldn't start when I went to leave the Costco parking lot on Sunday.

I recharged the battery overnight, and was able to get to the riding center and back, without a problem yesterday. When I got home, my dog's eyes were severly swollen. My goodness, it was a disturbing sight. I guess her 3rd eyelid was what was swelling. It blew up like bubbles around her eyeballs.

Thankfully, it was the one day of the week that her vet is open until 8:00 p.m. She had an allergic reaction to a shot she received on Friday, ironically for skin allergies. I'm happy to report that she is much better, after an application of cortisone eye drops and some Benadryl. My vet said he's been in practice for 19 years and has never seen a reaction like hers.

Luckily, I got the truck started again to get home from the vet, but a red battery symbol started to display on the dash. Hopefully, If I continue to hook up a battery charger overnight, I can make it until Thursday. I signed up for volunteering on Wednesday, and want to keep my commitment, if possible.

I wish my dog were a better patient. It's a challenge to give her pills. I haven't been successful with putting it in her food (more often than not, she eats around it, or I find it later on the floor.) I've tried a pill plunger, but haven't been successful with that. I think I'll buy some liquid antihistamine and give that a try.

I'm glad I had some healthy food prepared/ready in advance yesterday. I tend to eat things I shouldn't when I'm stressed out. I'm thankful that I didn't have to go to an emergency vet yesterday evening (would have, if it wasn't my vet's one day of the week with late hours), and that I make it home from the vet's, even if the truck barely started.

Guess I need to keep working on my strugle with procrastination. I rationalize that I have Auto Club Road Service, for the worst case scenario. Sometimes, I push the envelope a bit, and put a bandaid or chewing gum on something for a micky mouse temporary fix.

I think I'll go with alternate plans today and work out at home, instead of going to the gym. That parking lot is not a place I want to chance not being able to get my truck started. With recent crime in my neighborhood, guess, I can't really feel safe on my own property. Two weeks ago, I had a policeman come to my house and ask for access to my back yard, because they had a barricade situation in a neighbor's home. Then, I learned that two neighbors on the street had break-ins into their homes, another neighbor had a check (s) taken/reused (I think someone took outgoing mail they left at their mailbox) and someone else had a car window broken and a purse stolen. Perhaps, I can look at my German Shepherd dog as an antitheft device.

• Munchey - I have had GSDs for over 30 years. Yes if one does not want to take pills you have a handful!! I had one that could pull them out of the middle of a hot dog. My current two I just put them on their kibble and they swallow them right down. Might be worth trying at least. Especially something so small like benedryl. But I do everything that way. My current two also have not had any allergic reactions to shots or anything for that matter but I had one that was walking allergies. I give benedryl in advance if they are going to get a harsh shot (rabies, lepto*, or snake vaccine*). 1mg/lb [they don't dose the same as people]

*they are working search dogs and have more likely exposure to lepto and poisonous snake bites than most. And the snakes are in pretty remote areas. Not worried about a copperhead but a timber rattler, yes....at least the vaccine could buy a little time......

• GrannyNancy:
    Thanks for the info about antihistamine dosage for dogs. She wasn't hungry this morning, so she was very difficult. Hot dogs used to work, years ago. We evolved to turkey bacon, wrapped around the pill (with a little butter or peanut butter around the pill.) She tends to eventually figure out that I'm trying to disguise a pill, LOL.

Thankfully, she eat dinner tonight and I successfully wrapped pills with skin from rotisserie chicken, and placed them at the top. It appears as if I was successful. Sometimes I'm surprised, when I find a pill she spit out somewhere around the house.

I have success with giving her liquid Medacam (for joint pain/inflamation). You fill a special syringe and plunge it down her throat. We have a little routine, where she gets her favorite treat afterwards. Unfortunately, her favorite treat isn't suitable for covering a pill.

I'm glad she has hasn't been too fussy about her eye drops. I hope that continues to be the case.

• Hey Everyone:
    I thought I'd share some food talk that I heard on a radio talk program this weekend. Some of the strategies might not work for some food plans, but other may.

SAVING JUICES:
    A chef shared his strategy of saving juices from various things they cook. They use it later in soups or sauces. Some examples were juice from vegetables or perhaps from meat, poultry. It was pointed out that you can freeze the juices as ice cubes and that you can add them to a soup or sauce at a later time. Interestingly, the chef indicated that he even saves the water he cooked pasta in, as it can be added to sauces as a means to thicken it.

UGLY PRODUCE:
    The host of the show, shared that he signed up to have "ugly produce" delivered to his doorstep. There is a business that buys produce that doesn't meet the appearance standard for regular sales. Generally, the issue is that the item is too large, too small, misshapen or has minor blemishes.

He said that his experience with the "ugly produce" has been interesting. Firstly, it doesn't really fit the description of "ugly". Then he says it has prompted him to try fruits and veggies that he generally doesn't buy. It has prompted him to become more adventuresome with his food.

I checked online and the service covers my neighborhood. I might give it a try. Every box could be a new adventure. You can either order fruit only, veggies only, or a mixture of both. I believe it is local produce, you will likely get what's in season, but you will never be sure of what they send you.

SHARING SOME OF MY FOOD INFO.

POTATOES ON THE GEORGE FOREMAN GRILL:

Occasionally, I like to have a skinny version of french fries. I slice up a raw potato in round slices (like a fat potato chip), and spread them on the grill and close the lid. It's a no-stick surface, so I don't use any oil. With my particular grill and the way I slice the potatoes, it takes approx. 15 minutes to cook. I usually turn them over half way. I sample a piece to confirm it's done. Then, I sprinkle a little light salt on them and a little ketchup. Sometimes, I just dip them in some salsa.

I find them to be a satisfying sub for french fries. There are other ways to prepare them, like on the barbecue or with a broiler. If you prefer, you can slice them like french fries.

ZUCCHINI SQUASH:

This has been a favorite dish, since I was a child (back in the old days). All you need is 2-3 of your favorite onions (I like Maui onions, whether 2 or 3 depends on the size), 2 cans of stewed tomatoes and 4 medium zucchinis.

I saute the onions, with a little low-calorie margarine (you can use olive oil or something of your choice). Then, I add the zucchini (sliced in round slices) and the stewed tomatoes. I cook it with a lid on the large sauce pan, during all stages. Sometimes, I eat it with a small stick of reduced calorie string cheese that I break in peaces. Other times, I sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on the top. I like things hot and spicy, so I generally add a little sriracha sauce to my serving.

You can adjust the amount of each ingredient to suit your taste: more or less of onions, tomatoes or squash. If you grow you own tomatoes, you can use fresh tomatoes. I put the left overs in a large baggie and then heat up a serving in a paper bowl in the microwave.

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SHARE! I'D LOVE TO HEAR IDEAS FROM OTHERS!

• zucchini squash sounds good. i'll try that today.
    there was a series of 3 tv documentaries here about waste here last year, and one of them talked about food The reason why some things get rejected by supermarkets (and therefore usually head straight for landfill) was really disturbing. For example bananas that were too big or too small or that had too much curve or were too straight! Terrible. As a result there was a big public backlash, and the supermarkets started introducing an 'ugly produce' section to provide an outlet for them. So good on you for considering the 'ugly' ones, as hopefully you're also contributing to a reduction of waste too.
  • Since I can't eat bread on my diet, one hack has been the use of slices of grilled or browned eggplant as "pizza crusts" and using far far less cheese. Very good.

Also Zoodles. Now, I do't use zucchini as it falls apart quickly though a lot do, but we grow a squash called tromboncino which laughes at bugs and the heat and does great in the spiralizer when harvested while green. Never seen it at the store but love this stuff. So easy to grow from seed. I trellis it so the necks growl long and straight. It is one of the easiest most prolific plants we have grown!

http://www.southernexposure.com/trom...3-g-p-163.html

And of course there is riced cauliflower. I am not a fan of cauliflower but I like this stuff. Just brown it in the skillet and use instead of rice. Costco now has it in the big bags.
  • Hi, Just checking in. I have internet again and am back from a two week vacation. Must get moving after a span of no exercise and a gain of 5 pounds, Yikes!

Hi to All and I will try to catch up with all the chatter.

• I got in 6-1/2 miles yesterday, with walking during 3 classes at the horseback riding center. The Fitbit isn't generally accurate, but I'm thinking I got in at least a good 5 miles. I felt ancient, when I finally got home and walked into my house. A couple Advil or something similar, and some sleep, and I'm good for another day. Sometime, the Advil doesn't help enough, and I end up taking a nice warm bath with some epsom salts.

It was a lot easier, when I was younger (without arthritis). Joint pain has become my normal. I've got to keep using this as motivation to get more weight off. Less weight = less pain.

Ange82much:
    Actually, the "ungly produce" might be entertaining. I can recall occasions when I've gotten a oddly shaped veggie and laughed about it. A unique carrot comes to mind - it had an extra appendage and was clearly male, lol.

GrannyNancy:
    Thanks for sharing the info. abouit Tromboncino squash. I have a spiralizer that I haven't used yet. I keep thinking about planting a veggie garden. Perhaps this will be the year. I haven't tried egg plant, but it's something I want to try. I've heard that the recipe you use for preparing eggplant either makes or breaks it.

I'm going to have to look for the riced cauliflower at Costco. I haven't noticed it the fresh produce section. I'll have to look a little closer and perhaps check out the frozen section.

WorkingLikeaDog:
    Good to see you back with us! I hope you had a wonderful vacation.
  • Munchey - the riced cauliflower is frozen. I hope it stays. They were late bringing it on. The big thing with Eggplant is that it can be bitter. The bitterness is usually with the skin and you can remove it or soak the sliced eggplant in salt water and press it out before you use it. I really like the Japanese eggplants that are thin and long and not nearly as bitter as the big ones.
  • Quote: Munchey - the riced cauliflower is frozen. I hope it stays. They were late bringing it on. The big thing with Eggplant is that it can be bitter. The bitterness is usually with the skin and you can remove it or soak the sliced eggplant in salt water and press it out before you use it. I really like the Japanese eggplants that are thin and long and not nearly as bitter as the big ones.

GrannyNancy:
    Thanks for the info.

I'm going to have to look in the frozen section more closely. I haven't checked it out lately, beyond the frozen stir-fry veggies I like. They rearranged what's where in the store, so I have to spend more time finding things. I hate it when they do that.

Oddly, I cook the stir-fry veggies in the microwave, add some form of protein, spice it up and call it a meal.
  • Just calculated out that my average daily calories for January was 874.
    My target was under 1000, and I did that on every day except one.
    Surprised that it's been easy and I've not really felt hungry, and also that I've been happy with so much under 1000 cal. I would never have believed that was enough before i started, but it's been fine and i have just ditched all the carbs and sugar, eaten heaps of veggies and plenty of fish but not much meat. Even factored in about 4 glasses of wine in that period.
    I'm sure plenty of people are about to jump in and tell me its not enough etc. Agreed it's not going to work for ever, but i will stick with it this week, then i have a week in a hotel when it's going to be guestimate time and definitely over target, but then i'll hopefully pick up again just the same when i get back. So i'd like to continue with what I've been doing whilst i can control what/when i'm eating, and then will have to cop higher calorie amounts for when i have to eat with others etc and that will naturally bump up the totals. Once my knee is fixed and i'm doing more exercise i'll need more too, but very happy so far
  • ange I use cronometer to help me track nutrients. It is a fabulous program. I pay the subscription fee to get the trend reports, etc.

Of course my weight loss is a much longer term proposition than yours and I strive to maintain balance and hope that the dietary patterns learned during loss will carry over to maintenance. With the addition of some selected vitamins I can keep calories between 1000 and 1200 pretty regularly and meet my dietary requirements. It really is an eye opener. I could easily eat 800 calories a day by ditching sugar and flour as the cravings are absolutely gone.

I don't know how old you are but you don't want to set yourself up for bone loss later in life [something I learned the hard way] and it is not simply getting enough calcium.

Back when I was younger the standard diet plans were 1000 or 1200 calorie plans with "exchanges" for what you could eat and I think they were pretty balanced and from back in the day when there was not so much eaten in the way of prepared foods.
  • grannynance i'm 50 next month so don't know how that sits with later bone loss?! Or I don't know what that means really - do you mean you need the right nutrients? Yes, I've sat on 1200 calories for a few months before (over the years!) and that was quite sustainable in terms of not being hungry, but still requires eating 90% good stuff and not much wasted calories. This last month hasn't felt much different to that - just stricter (nothing is 'forbidden' but I;ve never cut so much wheat/rice before). Agreed that around 1200 would be a good target for me when the enthusiasm for being stricter wanes! I'm short and really don't need more than that (shame I love eating so much). Must admit I've not been in the mood to track anything other than calories yet, so haven't looked at nutrients/vitamins/proteins/fats or any of that stuff, other than going intuitively with what I think I know already (not much, probably!), so definitely room for more education, but just not in the mood to spend more time tracking such things right now. I guess it's always a balance between being 'normal' and being totally obsessive about what a perfect diet should have!
  • ange - yep its a challenge when you are an "easy keeper" - Allegedly I can sit around the house all day and lose weight on 1400-1600 calories. NOT. This week I have been averaging 1100 but no exercise as I have a baaad cold and no weight loss either.
  • nancy - or anyone else - I've never cooked eggplant before but fancy giving it a go. Do you really have to do all that messing around with salt first? Or can you just get on with roasting/grilling whatever? Appreciate any advice or any low cal (oil free?) cooking methods.