New WW plan?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, this week is the new WW plan being announced. I was hoping to hear from people about it as the plan filters out to all.
    What changes are there?
    What do you think of it?
  • I was able to advance the date on both my phone and computer to get into the plan early.

These are the changes:
    Daily Points go down. I had 31 points, now have 24. (Weeklies stayed the same)

There are now 200 foods on the zero point list with a focus on lean protein (chicken, turkey, tuna), seafood, whole eggs, nonfat yogurt, and beans. This makes up for the point reduction. Corn is now a zero point veggie.

You can access the UK list online now at www tinyurl com/y6wwxmxb (sorry, I can't post links yet) - this list is identical to what's on the US site for the new plan

You can now rollover up to 4 daily unused points and bank them with your weekly points.

A newish rule is apparently if you have fruit in a smoothie those are no longer zero points and must be counted when consumed via a drink instead of eaten whole. The philosophy behind this is the signals your brain gets when eating fruit that takes time to ingest vs a quick dose of it in a liquid form. I hear a lot of chatter from people saying they are not going to be following this rule.

I'll post more if I think of anything else.
  • Meant to say I'm excited for these changes. The focus on lean protein makes much more sense and I don't think the point reduction will feel harsh given the protein options available to fill in that gap.
  • Thanks for the info. It makes sense. I probably will not follow the fruit rule either. I am getting into protein shakes lately and really enjoy them. It drives me nuts when they talk about the new plan at meetings and never say what it will be.

Quote: I was able to advance the date on both my phone and computer to get into the plan early.

These are the changes:
    Daily Points go down. I had 31 points, now have 24. (Weeklies stayed the same)

There are now 200 foods on the zero point list with a focus on lean protein (chicken, turkey, tuna), seafood, whole eggs, nonfat yogurt, and beans. This makes up for the point reduction. Corn is now a zero point veggie.

You can access the UK list online now at www tinyurl com/y6wwxmxb (sorry, I can't post links yet) - this list is identical to what's on the US site for the new plan

You can now rollover up to 4 daily unused points and bank them with your weekly points.

A newish rule is apparently if you have fruit in a smoothie those are no longer zero points and must be counted when consumed via a drink instead of eaten whole. The philosophy behind this is the signals your brain gets when eating fruit that takes time to ingest vs a quick dose of it in a liquid form. I hear a lot of chatter from people saying they are not going to be following this rule.

I'll post more if I think of anything else.
  • Just came back to WW, but with the new plan I'm probably leaving again.

I don't home-cook. I eat a lot of frozen foods or take-out.

The problem with the new plan is that the 0-point foods like meats and eggs and such aren't figured into take-out foods or frozen foods, as you're analyzing the overall calories/fat/sugar/protein values, and not looking at the ingredients going into it.

It really sucks. I'll probably go back to a simpler calorie-counting and save my money.
  • Perhaps you should think about ways you can do this plan in an easy way? I know it might seem hard if your habits are frozen foods and whatnot, but maybe you could try this for at least a week or two and see if it works?
    For example, in my grocery store, you can buy hard boiled eggs that are already cooked and peeled. You can buy bags of packaged boneless chicken breast slices already cooked.
    Maybe it might be time to re-think how you are eating? The frozen entrees have lots of sodium in them....
    I wish you the best, no matter what you choose.

Quote: Just came back to WW, but with the new plan I'm probably leaving again.

The problem with the new plan is that the 0-point foods like meats and eggs and such aren't figured into take-out foods or frozen foods, as you're analyzing the overall calories/fat/sugar/protein values, and not looking at the ingredients going into it.

It really sucks. I'll probably go back to a simpler calorie-counting and save my money.
  • Do any of you know when WW will update our accounts for the new plan? It rolled out today in the US but so far my daily points haven't changed, and the new 0 point foods are still showing up with point values.
  • It will update on your weigh-in day.

Quote: Do any of you know when WW will update our accounts for the new plan? It rolled out today in the US but so far my daily points haven't changed, and the new 0 point foods are still showing up with point values.
  • I was told you have to go to a meeting before it automatically updates unless you skip a meeting and then it should update next week?

Quote: Do any of you know when WW will update our accounts for the new plan? It rolled out today in the US but so far my daily points haven't changed, and the new 0 point foods are still showing up with point values.
  • I don't know how true that is, but if it is true it would only apply to meeting members. Online members get it on their weigh-in day automatically.

Quote: I was told you have to go to a meeting before it automatically updates unless you skip a meeting and then it should update next week?
  • I got the new WW Freestyle today. I am an online member and my WI was Saturday, but it didn't switch until today. I am going to enjoy the new plan. I alike veggies and it is nice that they are free and I like the fact that some of the foods I was eating any way like eggs and chicken are now 0 pts. I don't think it will even feel like a diet any more.
  • Quote:
    Me too so the lowering of points is going to be a challenge.
  • Not thought out
    I have been on the smart points plan for 9 months via the app and have lost all my weight, 70 pounds. Good news and I am grateful to WW but I now use it for maintenance and they decided that putting unlimited points on foods will help people lose weight. I disagree. I went from 30 points a day allowed to 24. Here’s why I think this won’t work. I had recommended this program to many people who witnessed my weight loss. In going on the prior program it was common for them to think eating 5 pieces of bread a day at 2 points each would do the trick, not so and they didn’t lose weight because the point system is a guideline not a standard since our bodies are all different. Basically what makes someone lose or gain is different and takes time to gage as you learn your body on the program. I could have called that 10 points of my day in 30 and ate the rest of my 20 and not lost weight and didn’t when I made the same error in the beginning. Making chicken, fish etc all 0 points tells someone “eat as much as you want” problem number 1. That’s a bad habit regardless of whether it’s healthy foods. They have calories and it’s a habit most people struggle with that for them to WW in the first place. Problem 2 if I eat eggs at breakfast chicken and veggies for lunch and supper I am basically only counting a few points for margarine or whatever I have used with it towards my 24 points which would probably leave me with 20 unused points which ill go fill with other stuff that I’m counting. What does this mean? I’ve had 3 meals for a few points plus I’ve had 20 point value on top of that because I didn’t have to count it and weight watchers expects you to lose weight ? Let’s look at the math. Prior 2 eggs was 4 points. Chicken breast was 1 point per ounce approx so a ONE chicken breast was 7-8 points depending on the weight not counting anything you put on it and veggies were free. So eating all this at 0 points throughout the day was 18 points you are no longer counting! Plus approx 20 more. Will you lose weight I say no.
  • Stacy, I understand your thinking in this and pretty much agree with you, if applied to someone who is attempting to lose weight for the first time in their life. They could eat 3 healthy meals of all 0 points food, and have 23 points left, which they could fill up with cookies and snacks, and be following the plan to the letter. But people who have been on weight loss plan before realize that no matter what the plan says in print, there has to be limits. They are going to concentrate on eating healthy foods and put on the brakes when it comes to sweets and other foods that are usually not included in a weight loss plan.

As far as those of you who do not cook, I was under the impression that you could continue to follow any of the previous Weight Watchers plans if you chose to do so. In fact, I think the points plans are much easier to follow with frozen/packaged foods that have the nutritional info listed on the package. Since I am mainly a home cook, I didn't like to do WW Points Plans because I had a hard time figuring points because it was always harder to calculate points on home cooked foods of things like meat loaf, or chili, where you had to take all the different ingredients into consideration and then calculate for portions.
  • So, I’m not on the new plan yet, but have read a lot on the WW website and help section in the app.

One of the things that is not mentioned in a lot of the chatter about the plan is that WW does not just focus on the food, it also is about changing your mindset. They don’t just give you a points value and a list of foods and send you on your way. That’s not how my meeting works anyway. It’s strategies for reacting differently to stressful situations, emotional eating vs. being hungry, changing unhelpful behaviors that aren’t helping you reach your goals, having goals other than just the number on the scale, digging into why you want to get healthier. Not just yay corn is zero let’s eat all the corn

I cook a lot at home as well, I love beans, so am thrilled to not have to use 5 points for a half a cup of chickpeas, etc. That doesn’t mean I think I can eat them by the can and lose weight. One of the first things I read about the new plan was about getting in tune with your hunger signals and paying attention to how full you feel.

I don’t know what to say for the people who rely on frozen meals and eating out, I wish you all the best. I think DerryDaughter had some good suggestions.

Wishing you the best and hope everyone has a wonderful day