Gained almost 40 pounds back ugh!

• Hello everybody, I am somewhat new to this support group! I have came to this website a few times just to check out everybody else's threads and get some ideas and have finally decided to make an account!

I have been on a weight loss journey before and was pretty successful. I had lost 65 pounds, I went from 250 pounds down to 185. But, I unfortunately got tired of watching what I was eating so now I am back up to 222.

I am in definite need of some support! I have tried multiple times to get back on my diet and I end up on a binge and gain what I have lost back.

Any ideas on how many calories I should start eating a day or what I can do to try and motivate myself again?
  • What kind of a diet are you trying to do?
  • Quote: What kind of a diet are you trying to do?
    Just a low calorie diet!
  • Quote: Hello everybody, I am somewhat new to this support group! I have came to this website a few times just to check out everybody else's threads and get some ideas and have finally decided to make an account!

I have been on a weight loss journey before and was pretty successful. I had lost 65 pounds, I went from 250 pounds down to 185. But, I unfortunately got tired of watching what I was eating so now I am back up to 222.

I am in definite need of some support! I have tried multiple times to get back on my diet and I end up on a binge and gain what I have lost back.

Any ideas on how many calories I should start eating a day or what I can do to try and motivate myself again?
    Did you change you diet after losing that much weight or same diet?
  • Hi. I totally understand your dilemma. I'm in the same boat. I lost a bunch of weight many years ago and little by little I've regained quite a bit. About 10 pounds per year, over the last 7 years...(however each year I probably gained a total of 50 pound, but relost 10lbs. 4 out of 5 times...lol) I've been counting calories for almost 9 years, and I'm just totally sick and freaking tired of it. The older I get the fewer calories I can eat to lose, 3 weeks of 1200 cals a day might result in a 2 pound loss. I decided a week or so ago to take a whole different approach.

I stared a low carb high /fat diet about 10 days ago and it's working out well so far. I don't know if its abstainable forever, but at least the scale is moving in the right direction.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi, and let you know your not alone. There are lots of different types of weight loss, maybe experiment with a different approach if one is getting old.
  • Yup, same here. About 10 years ago I lost about 55 pounds by counting calories and I thought I could handle it. Slowly but surely it crept back on. And like Lori calorie counting doesn't seem to be cutting it lately. I too have been trying to cut carbs. I'm not consistent enough though.

But to answer Kr's question, I would say come here as often as possible. There are a lot of people looking for a weight loss buddy and there are challenges that take place quite often. As for calories I think it depends on each person, if you exercise etc. I would say 1500 is a good starting point and you can go up or down from there.
  • I'm not strictly following any type of diet and didn't want to deprive myself. But as a guide, I use LIlly Diabetes meal plan. You can search for it.
  • I didn't want to deprive myself because I know I will binge eat afterwards but I did learn to eat greenies with every meal. Lost 1.5 kilos so far, in 30 days. Slow and steady.