I Am The One Thing In Life I Can Control! Maintainers Fall and Winter Chat

You're on Page 5 of 36
Go to
  • That's just so sad, Shannon. For everyone involved.... hugs and prayers to you and your family.

I posted on Facebook last night the troubles dh was having getting to London. Poor guy was at the airport literally all day yesterday-- flights delayed, flights cancelled, etc. He finally got a flight out at 8 pm (vs his original 12:30 pm). He just landed and miraculously his bag did too. He's off to see his brother and family (our young niece and nephew)-- I'm so glad he gets to squeeze in visits with them before his work begins as they live so far away.

I wasn't feeling at all well yesterday (nor was dh). I'm mostly better today-- though just tired and achy. And now I'm facing a month with dh gone. Sigh.... Today will be hard at work as one of our teachers is getting married and I will have almost all subs today with the classes of the teachers that are going to the wedding. Plus I doubled up 2 first grade classes so I'll have 52 first graders at the same time-- I did that so I could go to an author luncheon yesterday to meet Anthony Horowitz-- very cool. They served us Panera for lunch and my weight is up quite a bit-- so either whatever I'm fighting, the sodium from the lunch, or??

Saef-- why are you giving up your sleep experiment? I'm going to try to eliminate the phone close to bedtime and read instead-- I did it last night and slept much better than I have been. The only problem is I get so sleepy when I start reading-- at this rate, I'll never finish a book!
  • Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry.
  • Shannon, I'm so sorry about your aunt. Very tragic that she ignored the symptoms when breast cancer can be very treatable. I have friends who refuse to get colonoscopies, too. That's another procedure that can reveal an easily treatable condition that can eventually kill if ignored.

Michele, I have given up trying to read at bedtime, unless it's just to fall asleep faster. I can read maybe a page, then zzzz. I listen to a lot of books on Audible when I'm driving, walking and doing chores.

We are getting our first rain of the season. I see that Northern California got a big storm! Sure hope that means the end of the horrible fires.
  • Sending supportive thoughts, Shannon - it's always hard and even harder when there's thoughts that it might have been different.
  • Sorry, Shannon! It's such a shock when it happens this way.

Clearly she made her choice... Not taking action is still a choice. Cancer doesn't care either way.

At least it sounds as though the end was relatively quick--but that's not much solace for those left behind.

I think anger is a normal response to something like this.
  • Shannon, I too am very sorry. My condolences.

Michele, an entire month with your hubby. That would be really hard for me. I hope he has good access to videochat at least. Will he stay in London or move on further after his visit with family?

Stress at work continues unabated. Did I mention that my clinical trial study coordinator quit last week (while I was on call at the hospital)? She gave 2 weeks' notice, so her last day isn't until next Friday, but it's just yet another setback. At least she waited until I'd finally hired the replacement for the nurse who quit last May. It sucks to work for a university that provides great benefits but sh*tty salaries. People can go somewhere else and get 20% more money in their pocket, and they don't notice the retirement money they're leaving on the table. I now have to start the hiring/interview process all over again, followed by the slow slog of training. UGH. I am really close to quitting myself.
  • Shannon

Dagmar
  • Anyone remember when the weekend was about relaxing?

Dagmar
  • Saturday morning at 159.5.

My mother's here. And strangely enough, Shannon, I'm also on the verge of mourning a relative. We're waiting for news on my 43-year-old cousin, who's been hospitalized with liver failure, with her organs shutting down. Something similar happened. This fit, strong woman, who's a quite advanced yoga practitioner, teaches and travels to attend yoga sessions, about two years ago had an instance of severe bloating and jaundice. Turned out to be liver failure. She came back from it, but afterward, she wouldn't go to a doctor. She got sicker and sicker over the past few months. This past Tuesday, she called my aunt, saying how bad she felt. Once my aunt saw her daughter, she called an ambulance. But my cousin was in such bad shape that the hospital in Scranton had her airlifted to a specialized place outside of Philadelphia. Other organs have been affected and she's had a stroke. The doctors say without her level of fitness, she'd be dead. She practiced yoga but wouldn't see a doctor and was protesting the arrival of the ambulance. The doctors do not think she'll make it. The bedside vigil is still ongoing, and we're waiting here, my mother & I, at my apartment.
  • Oh, Saef! That’s so sad. I’m very sorry.

Andrea.... I’ve lost count on how many places dh will go on this trip. All throughput Europe- Sweden, Germany, Belgium.... then he’s off to Asia for the second half of the trip.

I’m off to bikram then going to walk with a friend and have lunch with her. Should be a nice day.
  • Saef - I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin.

I just don't understand people who won't get things checked out. I've been watching the fallout in my family the last two days, and I haven't been able to get past the selfish feel of it.
  • Quote:
    I just don't understand people who won't get things checked out. I've been watching the fallout in my family the last two days, and I haven't been able to get past the selfish feel of it.
    Sometimes people are more afraid of knowing and having to have treatment than not. I'm pretty sure my mother had malignant skin cancer on her back for over a year before she was killed but she refused to do anything about it. She was pretty far gone with the alcohol and had Type 2 diabetes as well. I think it all was too much for her and she was waiting to die, rather than facing drying out, rehab, chemo, surgery, and who knows what else.

Her choice. Or non-choice as it were.

DH is kind of doing the same thing. All my nagging isn't changing his habits much. All I can do is lead by example and keep myself fit. That's all any of us can do.

Dagmar
  • Not that it's any consolation, but there are not many treatments for liver failure. So, saef, it may not have made any difference if your cousin had gone to the doctor.
  • Sunday morning, at 159.4.

Shannon, yes, though I don't think of it as selfishness but a form of magical thinking. Also, this has left me thinking about a couple very minor health issues or routine yearly things that I haven't had checked out lately. I'm resolving to make some appointments come Monday, once the offices open again.

Jay, the treatment raised at the earlier incident was a transplant from one of my cousin's two sisters. That's all I know.
  • Saef - with my aunt, I know part of it was her church background. She told my mom she thought God would heal her if it was meant.