Maintainers Weekly Chat: July 10 - July 16

• Took a few walks dressed in my Costa Rica attire - a lightweight quick-dry t-shirt and light long sleeved quick-dry shirt. Notice the theme? We're advised to wear NO cotton because the atmosphere will be too muggy for it to ever dry. We're leaving next Sunday for ten days. I'm hoping that the travel meals will be balanced by the long days without access to snacks in my pantry or kitchen.

Thanks for the notions of when kids lose their precious 'eat when hungry' intuition. I cringe at the daily abundance of sugar foods that were once part of major celebrations. I'll work on the issue that grandma's house is the place to get sweets that aren't allowed at home. That was a good idea back when grandma lived a horse and buggy ride away - over the hill and over the dale.
  • Enjoy your trip to Coast Rica Bill. Is the clothing you're testing part cotton? It would be interesting to hear how it does in the humidity.

I'm on the last full day and night of this pet sit. I'm looking forward to going home for so many reasons.

Dagmar

• Light drizzle here, Bill. Your new clothing would get a good workout.
  • I have some polyester/nylon "technical" shirts that will dry on a line in half an hour. They are great. Modern synthetics are better than they used to be. Lightweight, airy, and dry fast.
  • I think the hardest part about teaching kids the method that Andrea suggested is modeling it for them. I don't know that DH and I are capable of being good role models in that method, but we are at least capable of modeling the Sesame-street style "cookies are a sometimes food" behavior, and the girls have gotten that message already (I do hear "we don't eat ice cream all the time, only sometimes for a special treat" from them). I've also had occasions where they have turned down "treat" food because they weren't hungry, and when they get treat food, I emphasize to them that they don't need to eat the whole thing and should stop when they're full so they don't get a tummy ache.

I think we've done a better job of teaching them the value of exercise. They frequently do exercise play, and the other day spent like an hour pretending they were going to yoga class!

I don't remember what exactly the situation was with my dad when I posted last week. We're still in a holding pattern waiting for weekly blood test results to indicate whether he's got more time or less.
  • Enjoy Costa Rica Bill!

Dagmar