Harsh IP Coach

• I am new to IP (3 weeks, 10 pounds lost total) and I am having some challenges with my coach.

The first is she does not seem incredibly knowledgeable, for example yesterday she actually shouted about the Crispy Vanilla Bars having 17 grams of carbs! Only for me to point out that 9 of those are fiber and we are looking at net carbs. This has happened multiple times. She also tends to count pounds lost (we are talking about 3 pounds) on her fingers ect.

While I am not crazy about all of that, I can live with it. The issue is that she constantly refers to her 180 pound former self as "disgusting", talks about other dieters to me saying they are lazy and they cheat and must want to be fat. She even seemed disappointed over a 10 pound loss over 3 weeks. Basically along the lines of "wow I really hoped it would be more than that". I like food, I like the results, and the biggest drag is just talking to her! I fully plan on continuing on the program, dropping another 15 to 20 pounds and being done with her, but I just know I have at least two more months with her (between finishing phase one and then completing 2 and 3 before getting to maintenance). Does anyone else feel this way about their coach?

I should note she is the only IP coach at this facility, and it is my therapists office, so if I quit going to her for IP, I would still run into her from time to time, which is why I feel like I should just stick it out with her.
  • Quote: I am new to IP (3 weeks, 10 pounds lost total) and I am having some challenges with my coach.

The first is she does not seem incredibly knowledgeable, for example yesterday she actually shouted about the Crispy Vanilla Bars having 17 grams of carbs! Only for me to point out that 9 of those are fiber and we are looking at net carbs. This has happened multiple times. She also tends to count pounds lost (we are talking about 3 pounds) on her fingers ect.

While I am not crazy about all of that, I can live with it. The issue is that she constantly refers to her 180 pound former self as "disgusting", talks about other dieters to me saying they are lazy and they cheat and must want to be fat. She even seemed disappointed over a 10 pound loss over 3 weeks. Basically along the lines of "wow I really hoped it would be more than that". I like food, I like the results, and the biggest drag is just talking to her! I fully plan on continuing on the program, dropping another 15 to 20 pounds and being done with her, but I just know I have at least two more months with her (between finishing phase one and then completing 2 and 3 before getting to maintenance). Does anyone else feel this way about their coach?

I should note she is the only IP coach at this facility, and it is my therapists office, so if I quit going to her for IP, I would still run into her from time to time, which is why I feel like I should just stick it out with her.
    What you are describing is common - many of us here know more than the coaches. It is why many of us are doing this on our own and why the use of alternatives (besides cost) is what it is. For me personally, I would not tolerate this. There are many locations where you don't have to see a coach (you had to have signed up and be "affiliated with a clinic"), but you can go in and it is like a grocery store). I would check around and see if such a location exists for you. If not, consider switching from IP to alternatives or try going there to just buy products and not visit with the coach (see if you can buy them from the front desk folks). If you go the alternative products route, there are plenty of us here who can help you. Nashua Nutrition is a great place to buy from. Many of us have done the IP products and have done IP with alternatives with no detrimental effect on our results.
  • Quote: What you are describing is common - many of us here know more than the coaches. It is why many of us are doing this on our own and why the use of alternatives (besides cost) is what it is. For me personally, I would not tolerate this. There are many locations where you don't have to see a coach (you had to have signed up and be "affiliated with a clinic"), but you can go in and it is like a grocery store). I would check around and see if such a location exists for you. If not, consider switching from IP to alternatives or try going there to just buy products and not visit with the coach (see if you can buy them from the front desk folks). If you go the alternative products route, there are plenty of us here who can help you. Nashua Nutrition is a great place to buy from. Many of us have done the IP products and have done IP with alternatives with no detrimental effect on our results.
    Thanks Ro! I was hoping someone had an easy to understand alternative (I must admit I see the alternative threads and they becoming overwhelming quickly with so much information). I would like to start buying online, so if you have suggestions for products bought off Nashua I would happily review those! Even if you just have the name of the brands that fall into IP alternative territory I would start there!

I have no issue with someone giving me a little tough love, but to call 180 pounds disgusting/gross/"ew" just feels so incredibly unprofessional, when I have women in my life who I know and love over that weight! I am also smart enough to understand ketosis, and she constantly uses examples like "dollars in your bank account" that you would use to explain this to a toddler!

I appreciate the support, I AM happy with 10 pounds in 3 weeks, and I want to keep this up, with or without my coach!
  • You are PAYING for her to be like this. I would not tolerate it. Start-up costs and the high price of IP foods at $30-34 per box, this is supposed to INCLUDE QUALITY COACHING!! So frustrating!!

Coaching should include a complete orientation and in-depth review of the program and phase 1 protocol AND starting weight and measurements of 5-6 body part.

Subsequent visits each week include a thorough review of your food journal with feedback and tips for improvements; education/new information; Q and A to ensure you understand everything; cheerleading; planning for next week's menu; weigh-in weekly; measuring usually every other week; body fat percentage measuring; and then food purchases. You should feel your coach knows the program, is using current protocol and can answer most questions confidently and uses IP corporate resources to find out information if needed. Anything less and they are taking your money and NOT providing you with the services you are paying for!!

If you want a step-by-step guide to alternatives, check our our pinned post/New Member details to walk you through.
  • Quote: You are PAYING for her to be like this. I would not tolerate it. Start-up costs and the high price of IP foods at $30-34 per box, this is supposed to INCLUDE QUALITY COACHING!! So frustrating!!

Coaching should include a complete orientation and in-depth review of the program and phase 1 protocol AND starting weight and measurements of 5-6 body part.

Subsequent visits each week include a thorough review of your food journal with feedback and tips for improvements; education/new information; Q and A to ensure you understand everything; cheerleading; planning for next week's menu; weigh-in weekly; measuring usually every other week; body fat percentage measuring; and then food purchases. You should feel your coach knows the program, is using current protocol and can answer most questions confidently and uses IP corporate resources to find out information if needed. Anything less and they are taking your money and NOT providing you with the services you are paying for!!

If you want a step-by-step guide to alternatives, check our our pinned post/New Member details to walk you through.
    You are right, for "just the food" these prices are outrageous, and it should come with something else (like great coaching) to justify the cost. I am afraid to quit right away because I am seeing success on the scale, but what I have done is ordered some alternative foods online. I am going to slowly start mixing them in with the IP sold food, and if things don't get better I am out!

I am proud of myself, I do think I am doing great, and I think I can continue on, without some crazy lady telling me all sorts of nonsense. I hate "quitting" and I often fall victim to the sales pitches sucking me back in, but at a certain point I am going to have to!
  • Quote: You are right, for "just the food" these prices are outrageous, and it should come with something else (like great coaching) to justify the cost. I am afraid to quit right away because I am seeing success on the scale, but what I have done is ordered some alternative foods online. I am going to slowly start mixing them in with the IP sold food, and if things don't get better I am out!

I am proud of myself, I do think I am doing great, and I think I can continue on, without some crazy lady telling me all sorts of nonsense. I hate "quitting" and I often fall victim to the sales pitches sucking me back in, but at a certain point I am going to have to!
    Don't quit the eating plan even if you use alternatives, but you might consider sending a note to head office about the 'coaching style' of this person. If no one lets them know, they can't fix it for anyone else or keep their good reputation. Another option is perhaps there is another clinic near you that you can 'transfer' to. Some other 3FC members have been able to do that. A good coach can be a real help. Mine was (but she also had training in coaching and guidance professions).

Liana
  • Quote: Don't quit the eating plan even if you use alternatives, but you might consider sending a note to head office about the 'coaching style' of this person. If no one lets them know, they can't fix it for anyone else or keep their good reputation. Another option is perhaps there is another clinic near you that you can 'transfer' to. Some other 3FC members have been able to do that. A good coach can be a real help. Mine was (but she also had training in coaching and guidance professions).

Liana
    Thank you, I do plan to keep up with the plan. It is working for me! Even if she doesn't think the 10 pounds is a lot, I do! I am going to plan on just switching in some of the alternative products, and stick with her for a few weeks longer. I am lucky in that I don't have too much more to go, so it is not like I will be with her for months (I hope!).