Stress and comfort eating.

• So this may be a rambling post but please bare with me.

So I've been dealing with a lot of stress mostly over bills and work related stuff since we're really behind on orders.

Then there's also the whole thing with my sons father. I recently applied for child support since it seems everytime i ask for help he can't or doesn't have the money and ask why I'm broke when his son needs food. I only have him every other week but i only make $9/hr. So the money disappears fast.

The there's me and my depression casuing me to want to snack and feel the comfort of feeling full and having something pleasant to taste. Salty snacks are my favorite. Like potato chips. I just don't know what to do. I keep trying to diet and count calories and there's always the chips stating at me from the vending machine during lunch. And i cave. It's a never ending battle.

I just want friends and to know I'm not alone in this. I break down and cry every time i look at the scale and realize it either hasn't changed or has gone up. I need help.
  • Hi, I don't know if I can help you as I'm going through exactly the same cr*p as you, but I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who caves...I am in a really bad place with my eating and am bigger than I've ever been....it's bread and pastries with me...can't stop eating them. My husband and I fight about money all the time, he makes me feel like I don't contribute enough to the household finances, so although I work 30 hours a week I just asked to work extra Saturdays every month and a few evening shifts too...which means less time for me to do anything like exercise (who am I kidding? I don't do it anyway..)..Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and if you need to vent just message me...I'll probably have my face in the bread basket..Take care..Sally x
  • No, hon, you're not alone.

I don't have kids or a hubby, but I'm on SSDI. I live on much less than 900 a month. After rent and bills ... there's no such thing as extra. So I *can* relate on financial stress.

This is my *fourth* time struggling to get the weight off, also. I had though it was just my third, but no, it's actually my fourth.

I have depression from PTSD, and it's a b****. I have days where I sit right here in the house, because I'm so far in my head going outside seems like the worst idea ever.

If where you live offers any sort of counseling for reduced amounts (low-income, something like that - I know my county offers that here) ... consider it. Just consider it. It's not always easy to be face to face with a complete stranger and tell them what's going on in your life, but sometimes it does help.

And regarding child support - check with DFCS to see if there's anything you can do. I personally hate DFCS, but sometimes they've been known to help folks.

And hey, if you need to vent ... I'm around, usually. I try to check in here at least once a day.
  • I've depression and anxiety with some different problems but I have stress all the same, and stress eating salty foods is an urge that's difficult for me to resist. Sometimes I just feel lost in it, like it doesn't matter anyway or won't make a difference.

But that's wrong. It does matter! We matter, our thoughts, our cares, our feelings matter. Never forget that.

You're not alone.
  • Thanks everyone and sorry for not replying in a while, but i kinda feel off the wagon and got busy with life. Been working a lot of over time. But I'm back and ready to go back at it. A friend of mine showed me 21 day fix and since she knows I'm really starped for cash she kinda told me how to do it without buying all the little containers. And told me what exercises i should be doing. So I'm gonna try that and hope to god it works even though i don't have the guides like she does.
  • I felt sad reading all stories here. I understand you and your situation. But here's what I have learned from the past.

I know that it’s really hard to control your cravings especially when you’re very emotional.

It’s hard to control your cravings but it is also possible to control it.

You see, when you are emotional about something, you think of food as your friend that will comfort you and will make you feel better. Well, that is what we called “sabotaging thought!”. You are sabotaging yourself.

Before I eat cakes and ice cream when I get emotional, but I realized that I wasn't even hungry. I was not hungry at all! Then I started reading books about "emotional eating" and I read that "- Emotional eating never solves problems. It just creates new ones." Fact!

If you eat when you’re upset, You will only feel momentary comfort. Then You’ll have 3 problems:
    o the original problem,
    o then feeling bad and out of control
    o then gaining weight.

I learned that I must stop using food to decrease my distress and that I should think about Distracting Activities to distract distress.

Next time, when you get emotional, instead of eating, try to do something else. Try yoga, it will relax your mind and body. Read motivational books, that’s going to be very helpful. Go for a walk while listening to some music – I do that and it’s amazing how music can change everything you see every day, it’s like you’re in a movie walking, feeling pretty, and enjoying your own movie soundtrack. Call your friend and tell her about it, it will make you feel better if you release whatever it is that’s making you feel heavy and emotional.

So there are a lot of things that you can do when you are emotional rather than just eating.

We are all stronger than our worries.

May you all have a good day everyone! xoxo