One Meal A Day (OMAD) Support Thread--all IFers are welcome

You're on Page 6 of 32
Go to
  • SMaven and Lovemylife, my 24 hour fast ended at 21, but that is 3 hours longer than my 18. I have not been in a window for the past couple days due to having fun with the granddaughter. I am eating in my WOE of the AIP Paleo though.

SeeMyFeet, welcome! So glad to See your feet here!

I'm a Big Butter Bob Fan Smaven. You know he is just a great communicator. His info if basically Dr. Fung, but he is so genuine and it sunk into this brain finally about the insulence resistance.

Welcome aboard Impala!
  • Impala how long have you been doing the OMAD before you added exercise?
  • Quote: SouthernMaven: About a month. I'm extremely happy that I've stopped gaining weight, so we'll just have to see if the exercise sorts itself out. It may well be that this is just what it feels like to be really tired and I forgot since I haven't exercised much recently.
    ImpalaHoarder, there's another fellow out there named Joe who lost about 170 lbs doing OMAD. He has a website with lots of videos and he did it simply by eating one meal a day, and he doesn't restrict carbs. So that definitely lends credence to what Butter Bob says regarding fasting and how beneficial it is, even without cutting carbs.

In one of his videos he talks about not exercising as much while doing OMAD and the reasons why:

https://youtu.be/QmtHcP8lokA

I think you might find this video helpful.

I also wanted to add that Dr. Fung also discourages heavy exercise while fasting.
  • Quote: Results from today (actually yesterday, since it's so late): eggs and cereal and tea at 11:30, some watermelon and one pita with hummus in the afternoon, got some exercise in and meant to have the window closed at 5:30, but had a bite (or three) of DH's steak at 6:30 before I left for a party. I successfully ignored all the food and drink at the party, came home early, and cleaned and laundered all night. Thennnn...had two glasses of my milk concoction (1t sugar & 1T cocoa in watered-down 2% milk)--because I just couldn't deal with the grumpiness. So, not the best choices of food, due to poor planning, and punching myself for having the milk so late. Not sure if this half-baked version of IF is gonna work for me.
    SeeMyFeet, one thing I learned from practicing intuitive eating is never beat yourself up over your food choices. I know that's hard, but you don't want to be battling guilt...losing weight is hard enough as it is!

How late did you have the milk? Even a 12 hour fast is good. Sometimes we just have to ease into IF... maybe go 12 hours without eating, slowly increase it to 14, etc.

Even if you can only do it a couple of times a week at first, that's fine.

There are many ways to practice IF; it may take some experimentation for you to decide which one is the best fit for you.

Hang in there - it will get better!
  • Quote: SMaven and Lovemylife, my 24 hour fast ended at 21, but that is 3 hours longer than my 18. I have not been in a window for the past couple days due to having fun with the granddaughter. I am eating in my WOE of the AIP Paleo though.
    FinallyFree, that is excellent! Good job!

Quote: I'm a Big Butter Bob Fan Smaven. You know he is just a great communicator. His info if basically Dr. Fung, but he is so genuine and it sunk into this brain finally about the insulence resistance.

He is a great communicator. Being from the south, I know a lot of people like Bob. To some, he may come across as unsophisticated and therefore his information is dismissed, but if you listen to what he's saying it's very apparent that he is an intelligent, insightful man. He's also self-taught, which shows he has great curiosity. He set a goal and then worked very hard to educate himself on the right way to do it. Most importantly, he is genuine and sincere when he talks about wanting to help others.

Because of his background, I am quite sure he sees many people every day who are struggling with weight issues. As he explains in some of his videos, trying to tell these people that they need all this special type of food is so discouraging to them, because they can't afford it. He shows it IS possible to lose a large amount of weight without ever setting foot in a health food store or the organic section of their local supermarket.

You're right when you say his info in the same as Dr. Fung's (and I really like Dr. Fung's videos as well) but whereas Dr. Fung gets his credibility from his medical expertise and the success he's had with patients, Bob gets his credibility from his own success. Both are very encouraging individuals!
  • Good Sunday Morning Everyone

I hope that everyone has had a great weekend so far. It's a very hot weekend so my exercise has been very light. Yesterday I only walked 2 miles and today only 1 lol.

FinallyFree on the 21 hours, that's awesome. When I first started fasting I just went as long as I could and then as time passed it got easier and easier.

SMaven I think that I'm going to switch my one mile to dinner. I pretty much only had breakfast on my 24 hr fast days and I struggled a bit, so I'm going to switch things up. Fasting is so easy on the weekends because I'm always so busy. Also, thanks for posting all of the Youtube videos, I love it.

Have a great Sunday everyone
  • Down 1.6lb
    ...just stemming the tide of weight up creep...trying to have some confidence that this will continue...

but down is better than up

Today's window: 12:30-6:30...let's see if I can stick to it.
  • Smf... Great job!! keep this up!!

Checking in...

Am doing my best on this. Some days I eat breakfast, fast noon -the next morning..but it changes. Love my new method.

Down 23 Lbs since June 5th!! ...losing pound a day..once I get fitness up. It will be awesome!!

Keep it up all...I am with you ...

Liliann
  • Holeeee Cow, Lillian! That's awesome!
    I would surely appreciate it if you could post your daily schedule and food....still looking for ideas..
  • Smf...some days I eat large breakfast,fast noon till next day...or have large dinner,fast 7 pm till noon. My foods high protein,zero carb...hang in there...you are doing great!!
  • Good morning, all! Welcome to the new week!

lovemylife, let me know how moving your meal to dinner works for you. I really prefer it, although sometimes I do end up eating mid-afternoon.

SeeMyFeet, good going! Let us know how your window went yesterday.

Lilian, that is impressive! I am so glad to see that this WOE has helped you to lose so much weight! It looks like the one-two punch of low-carb and fasting is working its miracles on your body - I am so happy for you!

Yesterday I decided to go pick up some pork chops after I went to Mass and I also got a couple of avocados. I prepared the pork chops the way I always do - they are braised in my 42 year old electric cast iron skillet that was a wedding gift. (I don't know what I'm going to do when and if it stops working - I'll be lost!) But the only difference I made is that instead of using canola oil to brown the pork chops, I used lard.

I fixed lima beans and some rice for my husband, but all I had was a chopped up small avocado with a tablespoon of olive oil on it. I had two pork chops. They filled me up and then some. And instead of removing those fatty portions on them, I ate them and enjoyed them! (thank you Butter Bob - just adding that fat!) I'm hoping the extra fat in my diet will keep me satisfied; so far this morning I am not the least bit hungry, and I've been up for 3 hours.
  • Good Monday Morning Everyone

I hope that everyone had a great weekend. It was hot and steamy here I really need focus on my water intake especially on the weekends.

SMF on the 1.6lb loss. Keep up the great work.

Lillian on the 23lbs. That's so amazing and that just proves that this WOE really works. I'm also going to do a combination of IF and HFLC.

SMaven Your Pork Chops sound so delicious It's just amazing how HFLC decreases the cravings.

FinallyFree How was your weekend?

Have a great Monday everyone
  • Morning all! Yesterday was pretty much a repeat of the day before, as was this morning's weigh-in. I spose I should be glad that I did not have a gain, but I'm secretly hoping to see losses every day...more like, desperately hoping...

I had a fitful night of sleep last night...just couldn't stay asleep and had bad dreams. Hoping that does not affect my day too much.
  • I have also come around to IF with one meal a day - dinner. I try to eat moderate protein, moderate fat, and low carb. With one meal a day, and the low carb aspect, it turns out to be low calorie, but I think of it in terms of IF and low carb.
  • Hi Fellow Fasting Felines!
    Hope everyone is doing great!

Welcome Slimmer ME glad to have you here!
    Congrats Lilian you are really inspirational!
    SMaven you are also a good communicator like Bob!
    Thanks for the encouragement LoveMyLife, I hope to make it 24 hours someday, but now it seems I just need to get regular with 18.

SeeMyFeet, we will see the results soon, and Sweet Dreams to you!

I feel really good on the AIP Protocol but I'm gonna throw in some LCHF days to kick in the weight loss. Didn't gain with the grand daughter week - end of making Pies (her choice) I didn't take one bite.