One Meal A Day (OMAD) Support Thread--all IFers are welcome

You're on Page 32 of 32
Go to
  • Checking in after another day.

SouthernMaven, it's good to see you post! I got interested in this thread by first reading some of your posts at the beginning. Going down two dress sizes is fantastic! What an encouragement to everyone else!

Ubee, thanks for the suggestions of the broth. I will look into that. Hope you had a good weekend.

Yoyoma, from what I've read, a name change seems about right. About the high cholesterol reading, I've read before that fasting/semi-fasting can produce higher cholesterol readings, though the cholesterol levels in the body may not actually be high. You may know about this, and if it is true, but if not, it might be worthwhile checking. You may not have a cholesterol problem.

Everyone else: best wishes for a good week!

My day: ate a very satisfying meal, had one cup of V8 earlier. I have been totally satisfied and food hasn't been on my mind like other days. What a nice feeling!

Goodnight!
  • Hi everyone!

Jer glad you had such a good day. I love no longer obsessing about food.

yoyo have you found it difficult going from OMAD to all day fasting?

Southern Maven always nice to hear from you. Congratulations on moving down two sizes.

8 months of fasting and I am down 75 pounds as of today. I have had a ton of social occasions which made OMAD difficult. The last 10 pounds took a long time to come off.
  • Thank you for responding, Ubee. I'm sorry about the 10 pounds taking a while to come off. But it's great that you are beyond what you lost to before!

Today, I got quite tired by 6:00ish, but really enjoy having no major urge to eat, eating my meal without counting calories, and getting to a stop point that is unquestionable. I lost a pound from yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. So, this is a great way to eat, if I can just adjust to not be very tired because I'll be getting a lot busier soon.

Have a good day tomorrow!
  • Hi folks!

Congrats on the weight loss Ubee! I have often wished that socializing didn't normally involve food.

Whether fasting a whole day is difficult for me or not depends on the day and it's primarily about my state of mind . It works best if I don't commit to the fast but just have a goal to see if it works out. Last week I ended up having no problem on "off" days. This week involves a lot of social eating, so not many days with opportunity for whole day fasts.

Jer, it sounds like you are doing well adjusting to the schedule, aside from the sleepiness. I do sometimes get sleepy after a meal, but I pick up again later.. That has always happened to me, and when I was younger I sometimes took a nap after lunch.

Regarding cholesterol, I have seen studies that show cholesterol rises during a fast, but that intermittent fasting lowers cholesterol over the long run (6 weeks or more). Anyway, information about the effects of cholesterol high readings is about as clear as mud. I'm not really stressing about it, I'm mostly using it as an excuse to myself to make a few tweaks and see if I can lose and maintain at a slightly lower weight, lol.

Pot luck tonight. We are planning on bringing a red lentil, spinach, and shrimp dish, assuming we can find any red lentils at a nearby store (struck out yesterday; we will head in the other direction today).
  • yoyo where do you get your recipes from? Everything sounds so delicious!
  • I am back home now after seeing the total eclipse (awesome!) and driving back through a lot of traffic over a couple days (not-so-awesome!). This past leg of the journey, we could not cook and hubby wanted to dine out every night so I was eating dinner out with him. The net result is that I weighed in at 135.4 this morning -- not bad!

Ubee, hubby does most of the cooking these days (he is semi-retired), but we plan the meal together. We usually figure out what we want to eat based on what we haven't had recently and what is available. Sometimes we look up a recipe, but most times it is just a variation on a stir fry or a curry dish and we've made those for decades. Today we had liver and onions with brown rice, which might not sound so yummy to most people but I've been craving it! =)

It's nice to be back home after a long trip and back on the treadmill!
  • Hi everybody, I'm new to fasting. About a month ago, I went clothes shopping and was discouraged when the size I normally wear--the largest size in the store--wasn't fitting. And what did fit did not look good on my body in its current shape. I haven't talked to a doctor about it lately, but I have unmistakable signs of an increasing insulin resistance. After more than a year of managing very high levels of stress and anxiety by compulsively overstuffing myself to the highest weight I've ever been, I know it is time to try again to help my body look and feel healthier.

I heard Dr. Jason Fung on a podcast, and then watched six hours' worth of his YouTube videos. I'm in the middle of reading his book on fasting. Fasting just seems to make sense to my mind and body, and so far it has been so much less of a struggle than my prior attempts with other approaches. And for the first time, DH is interested in doing this along with me so our choices are not running at cross-purposes.

I'm sure I have a lot yet to learn, but yesterday I completed my fourth 36-hour fast and I'm feeling hopeful. And even slightly healthier already.
  • I haven't been here in a while. When I moved back to TX a year ago, I got new doctors and went to see nutritionist etc for diabetes. I've been counting calories and tried counting pts with WW had a bout in the hospital the end of May due to dehydration from prep for colonoscopy.

Any way as I look back over the records I keep of weight, FBS etc, I see that I'm stagnated. I am bouncing around the same 3 to 5 lbs losing nothing and I am so tired of counting. However, my A1c last time was low enough that my doctor put me on a 6 mo appointment instead of 3. That low reading was due to the medicine Trulicity that I was taking. I'm in a GAP with my Part D insurance and had to stop the meds and can't take the other oral meds.

As a result I've been reading a lot of books etc on Fasting to lower/control blood sugar. The most recent is a book titled Mini-Fast Diet by Dr. Julian Whitaker. He advertised berberine which he puts his diabetic on. So I am taking that. I'm not ready to do OADM at this time but I most definitely can do 2 meals a day which many of his patients do. I started that today. I eat breakfast because I like breakfast but wait until 11am to eat it and then I want eat after dinner. I am excited because he doesn't tell me what to eat so much as to eat just the 2 meals fast and exercise. The biggy for me is no more counting calories, pts or anything else.

It will be nice to be able to come back here for support/motivation as well as to hopefully help and encourage others.
  • Hi, folks! I hope everyone is doing well.

Trish, sounds like you have made good progress on your A1C. I hope you can find a way to keep on the meds and also get a handle on a WOE that works for you.

I haven't been posting but I've been doing well. I have (more than) met the goal I set for myself to lose some weight before my cholesterol retest. This morning I weighed in at 127.8. I still face the holiday season before the retest (though I might ask the doctor to retest in Dec, since my health care plan is going to tank next year).

I have been trying out some tweaks on my eating schedule. While I was on vacation this summer I did some 48 hour fasts. I also tried eating 2 meals a day recently. What I've found is that eating a real meal (even something like a chef's salad) for lunch is too triggering for me. But I can have a protein pudding or something like that so that's what I am currently doing.

I've lost a couple inches off my waist, but only an inch off my hips so I'm pretty happy about that. I am currently planning to coast with my current WOE and see what happens on the scale. In addition to losing the weight, I've also started taking Cholestoff (plant sterols) when I eat dinner and Metamucil (psyllium husk fiber) 3x daily. I'd be happy to maintain at this range and I hope my changes have an effect on my readings.