One Meal A Day (OMAD) Support Thread--all IFers are welcome

You're on Page 18 of 32
Go to
  • Thanks for the links.
    Butter Bob Briggs is so down to earth. I like how he keeps it so simple.
    Simplicity is one of the many benefits of this WOE.
  • So happy today!
    My husband has been watching me the last two months. I eat good satisfying food. I am not crabby and I have energy. Plus it is obvious I am losing weight.
    Last week he started eating in a nine hour window. Yesterday he stepped on the scale and is down 8 pounds. Today he told me has a funny metallic taste in his mouth. I explained ketosis to him. He seems impressed and motivated.
    Just as an FYI he has a heart condition and needs to get his weight back under control.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Congrats, Ubee! I'm so glad your husband was inspired by you. I think I've mentioned my husband is doing well with an 8 hour eating window. He doesn't have any health problems (except a little GERD) but it has really helped him lose weight. I hope it helps your husband and it might be a good idea for him to keep his doctor informed.

We are going to a lecture/show then dinner at a nice restaurant with a few friends tonight. I was just browsing the menu online. I would usually opt for something strange or exotic, but the food options aren't too exciting. So, I think I will order the filet minon (but the sea scallops are still in the running), their soup of the day, and a Cesar side salad. I'll probably have a drink and dessert too. =) When I was counting calories, I would fret about the impact this meal would have on my diet and the difficulty of getting back on track afterwards. As it is, I just wish the restaurant had more exciting options, lol. Have I mentioned lately how much I love OMAD?

Adding a shout-out to SouthernMaven and thanks for the links! Sorry, I missed your post before because it was on the previous page.
  • How was your meal yoyoma?

I think OMAD works so well for those of us who like to eat out and try new foods. I agree 100% about the calorie counting. I know it works for some but I was always stressing and plotting and planning. I like to enjoy my meal and not be analyzing it. Plus it was almost like a trigger to overeat. If that makes sense?

As for my husband, we have the same doctor and she is fine with me doing OMAD so I imagine she will be fine with his 9 hour window. He goes in next week so we will find out then. As for his cardiologist, he will just be thrilled to have him drop some weight. The fact that he actually is willing to do something is great. After 30+ years of marriage this is the first time he has joined me trying to get healthier. (He did better after his triple bypass because he had cardiac rehab...)

I know I am still in the honeymoon stage with this WOE but I've never been so in love with any other WOE. I sure hope this ends up to be the honeymoon that never ends!
  • The lecture/show was fabulous, by Richard Turner, the blind card mechanic. It was free but still one of the best things I've seen recently.

The dinner was good -- high quality ingredients, good service, nice ambiance, but not exciting lol. I ended up passing on the soup because it was chili soup, and I've had home-made chili recently. But the mignon was perfectly prepared and served with asparagus and butternut squash, all generous portions. The Cesar salad was presented somewhat unusually -- inner hearts of romaine kept intact. I had a hard cider which was pretty good (I don't drink much and don't like beer or wine, except very sweet ones). Hubby and I split a lava cake with ice cream on the side for dessert with the thought that we'd get a second if either of us wanted more, but we were both satisfied. =)

Today we are planning meat sauce on spaghetti squash for dinner. I'm glad I had the mignon because I haven't had one in years, but I will probably think tonight's meat sauce is tastier!

I am glad your doctors are receptive to OMAD. I haven't had a checkup recently, and I should probably put that on my todo list. I will mention OMAD to him; it might help spread the word just a little. I understand what you are saying about feeling like you are in the honeymoon stage, and I also couldn't believe it would really last, but so far, so good!

BTW, I have a Muslim friend who fasts for Ramadan. She was saying how she has always noticed how her hunger decreases over the month and she is more satisfied with a small meal at the end of the month than she is the rest of the year. Though that approach might not be ideal-- they refrain even from drinking water and maybe it would be better to eat earlier in the day -- there must be a wealth of information available from millions of people who fast that way yearly.
  • Yesterday we brought home Mexican. It was the first time since starting with Fasting. We ordered our usual meals. When we were done my husband looked at all the food that was left and said at least it should keep well. I still have not been able to adjust to how much less we eat.
    Also, for the first time in my life I ate Mexican food and lost weight. I didn't know that was possible.
    yoyoma, I like your plan to share the dessert and get another if you are not satisfied.
    I agree that there is so much we can learn from others. Also, so true about the religions. It is OK to fast for religion. If people find out you are fasting for your health they think you are crazy.
  • starting ash wednesday - Inter-fasting
    Need support ! Robin
  • Hi, Robin, and welcome! What sort of fasting do you intend to do and what kind of help would you like? I got to 1 meal a day by shrinking an eating window slowly, but there are plenty of folks who go cold turkey. It ain't pleasant, but I hear the first few days are the hardest.

Ubee, it is very easy to order too much food! In the past when I ordered too much food in a restaurant or took too much on my plate at home... I would generally finish it. Now, I have no problem with leaving some food, even if it's just a few spoonfuls. That is something I never wanted to do before. Maybe the difference is just knowing that I will be satisfied every day. I have tried both ADF and 5:2 and those didn't work out well for me, so I think it must be my particular head game.
  • yoyoma, I used to be a card carrying member of the clean plate club. I don't remember how or why I stopped but I did.
    There is something to knowing that if I truly want something I can have it as long as it is for my meal. When I give myself permission it sometimes loses its appeal.
    Today was a unplanned busy day. So many times I caught myself thinking that if I weren't fasting I would be shoveling the food in. It was really an eyeopening experience for me.
  • Re-reading The Obesity Code. It's helping me stay on track, and I'm finding the season of Lent particularly conducive to fasting.
  • New to this Thread and OMAD but not IF
    Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been doing HFLC & IF 16:8 on and off since NOV 2016, I joined a gym and was doing the treadmill for 60 minutes right before my window began to reap the HGH benefits. I started at 330lbs so far I have lost 18lbs, I was hoping to lose 2lbs a week and reach my goal of 226 by Nov 2017, but the scale is slower than I would like, but atleast it is moving down. For the most part I have been sticking with 16:8 with one cheat day a week and then right back on the HFLC / IF wagon. I have noticed that I feel great on the days that I stick to HFLC / IF and I always feel sluggish and joints hurt the next day after a cheat day and that was helping me to stay on point. But in the last 6 weeks I took a job as a Dominos Driver to help my household financially and they schedule me 4 - 10pm and that has interfered with my eating window which used to be 12pm - 8pm, so so I've been eating 12pm before work and then again at 10 - 11pm and weight loss has stalled and my energy levels have plummeted. So I was looking for motivation and support and I am so glad I found you ladies!!! You all seem so supportive and I need to stay on point, I definitely like 16:8 and after reading your thread I am going to try shortening that window until I reach OMAD, I like the idea of not worrying about food choices and just enjoying a meal, plus the HGH benefits will feel great. Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Jenny

Started at 330lbs today 312lbs. I have been trying to lose 10lbs at a time before I went to work for Dominos I was down to 308 and so happy because I had reached 2 short term goals.
    Next Short term goal 299lbs
    Long term goal 199lbs
    Ultimate goal 130bs

If you want something you've never had, then you have to do something you've never done.
  • Welcome Jenny!
    Good job on your weight loss.
    The great thing about fasting is that it is very flexible. Have you thought of keeping your 16:8 window for now but on your Dominos work days try doing OMAD?
    Most days I do OMAD. It is a natural fit for me. Other days I have a six hour window. It just depends on my schedule.
    Looking forward to having you in our group.
    Ubee
  • Hi, and welcome, Jenny!

That job seems a very challenging hurdle. I hope the smell of the pizzas you are delivering doesn't make it harder on you.

Personally, I have a tough time with different eating schedules on different days. My body seems to get used to one thing and gets cranky if I switch it up.

It sounds like you have a plan to shrink your eating window, so that sounds like a good thing to try. Will you be trying to eat your meal before work or after? There have been studies that show that eating earlier in the day might be healthier, but I'm not happy eating earlier than about 5 PM, because I want a schedule that is compatible with eating dinner out with friends.

We are all an experiment of one in progress, so if your adjustment doesn't seem to be working for you, you can always try tweaking it differently. Good luck; I hope your plan works out well!
  • Quote: Welcome Jenny!
    Good job on your weight loss.
    The great thing about fasting is that it is very flexible. Have you thought of keeping your 16:8 window for now but on your Dominos work days try doing OMAD?
    Most days I do OMAD. It is a natural fit for me. Other days I have a six hour window. It just depends on my schedule.
    Looking forward to having you in our group.
    Ubee
    Hi Ubee,

Thanks for the welcome, having support is so vital to this lifestyle change Right now I am focused on getting back to 16:8 daily and I am going to try to save cheat days for party's or special occasions. I seem to be fine when I start work but after staring at & smelling pizza for 6 or more hours, and then my family asking me to bring pizza home, I find I want to eat pizza too when i get home. So I am going to cook dinner before I go to work so my family can eat at a normal time and I'm going to pack my dinner with me and eat it right before my window closes along with Chia seed (very filling fiber), so I will not be hungry when I get home. I am doing this strategy and I am back on track, and in a few days will work on shrinking the window until I can do OMAD. How many days a week are you supposed to do OMAD or is it every day?

Jenny
  • Quote: Hi, and welcome, Jenny!

That job seems a very challenging hurdle. I hope the smell of the pizzas you are delivering don't make it harder on you.

Personally, I have a tough time with different eating schedules on different days. My body seems to get used to one thing and gets cranky if I switch it up.

It sounds like you have a plan to shrink your eating window, so that sounds like a good thing to try. Will you be trying to eat your meal before work or after? There have been studies that show that eating earlier in the day might be healthier, but I'm not happy eating earlier than about 5 PM, because I want a schedule that is compatible with eating dinner out with friends.

We are all an experiment of one in progress, so if your adjustment doesn't seem to be working for you, you can always try tweaking it differently. Good luck; I hope your plan works out well!
    Hi Yoyoma,

Thanks for the welcome and for the support. You ladies are awesome!!

Yes the smell of pizza does make me want pizza and I have been succumbing to eating it late at night with my family (See my reply to Ubee above). But that is no good for my family or for me. I am truly hoping at some point I will get sick of pizza it seems like the other drivers are tired of pizza so crossing fingers LOL.

I am currently back on track, cooking dinner before I go to work so my family can eat at a normal time and packing my dinner with me and eating it right before my window closes along with Chia seed (very filling fiber), so I will not be hungry when I get home. Also keeping Bullet Proof Coffee to help me stay satiated and HFLC. So far so good, I am doing this strategy and I am back on track, and in a few days will work on shrinking the window until I can do OMAD daily. I know when I stay HFLC/16:8 I feel great and I am looking forward to the extra weight loss, the open food choices and how I will feel on OMAD

Jenny