Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 8 of 12
Go to
  • Another day
    Coaches

Quick check-in.

Stayed home to work but only made small dent in my to do list. Had major coughing fits throughout the day. Felt like sleeping but resisted so I make sure I can sleep through the night. Saw today that I eat way too much protein. I always have. What needs to increase are the veggies. More moderation. Note tolerance for an empty tummy. More planning. But we're getting there again. Scale bounced up 0.9 this morning to 266.1. ok.

Nationalparker: very nostalgic for my family today. Especially my mom. Wishing many people were around who just aren't anymore. Must be the time of year or something?

Bye for now.
  • Well, well, well coaches,

I guess I'm the first one on here this morning with Bill being gone. How about that. My weight went back down. I guess it was probably water retention. Food was on plan yesterday, credit. This morning I hiked Bell Pass early. The weather was pleasant, low 70's to start. I'm worried this may have been my last day to hike for a bit. Next weeks temps are going to be very high and even the lows are high. I will get out and walk if I can't hike, and do my class at the Y. Yesterday I went up a little bit on the weight for some of the exercises.

The big plan for today is that a new dishwasher is being delivered this morning. It's from Home Depot and if the connections aren't just right they won't install, which will mean calling the plumber. It looks pretty good under there to me, we'll see how it looks to them. I just hope they can get the old one out and the new one in without scratching my hardwood floors.

Onebyone I hope your cough subsides soon. It's hard to get going doing anything when it gets you coughing. I eat quite a bit of protein too. I think it helps me keep from being hungry. I guess I have cut down on the portions a bit, but I still like plenty and cottage cheese for an after workout snack.

Nationalparker I bet it's going to be nice to get a new bed. I'm pretty sure we'll have one in the next couple of weeks. It seems like it's just one thing after another, but a bed is pretty important and my husband is certain he would feel better with a new bed. Regarding my activity. I just want you to know that when I was working full time I didn't do anything like I do now. I did get into hiking before I retired, but I would go for the Bell Pass hike and then come home and take a nap. I might make it to the gym a couple of times a week . . . maybe. It's a whole different thing when you have as much time as I do. I consider my training my part-time job.

GardenerJoy You have the best response cards. Yes, it looks like you are having hot weather, and humid too.

Millie56 I think that's a great idea to take portions of fruit on your camping trip. My other strategy is just to keep busy, hiking or swimming or people watching or any old thing.

Maryann Glad to hear you're having a good time in SF. I used to go there frequently, but not in years. The cousin that I camp with each year used to be a park ranger at Alcatraz. Now she's an elementary school teacher and lives in Woodlake, CA. Oh I'm so envious of your brothers trip. I'm on two FB sites and a Yahoo group sites where people discuss all sorts of things related to the John Muir Trail. I hope my friend and I can do this small piece this year and then go south from there next year and finish it in either one or two years. Is there any chance you would want to do the hike or a piece of it with your son?
  • Checking in to help me keep my focus. Lunch is going to require cooking and washing lettuce. Lunch requires that every few days and it sometimes causes a problem if I don't get emotionally and mentally committed ahead of time. I also have errands to run this afternoon and that can sometimes be a danger point. I have a plan so I'll follow it.
  • Morning coaches!

I'm having a tough time getting going this morning. I had a hard time falling asleep last night and then finally fell asleep about 12:45 am. At 1:15 dh's work started calling. Blah. My kids don't have anything today which makes it so easy to just hang around in pj's and not get on the workout and stuff. I have a few errands to run and about 2 hours of work work to do.

Yesterday credits - weighed and logged. All day yesterday I was fighting the binges. Ended up a little over plan, but not much. I'm more irked that I blew off my workout for no good reason.
  • Have had a productive day - bed was delivered and after the initial assessment of the bed frame, the delivery crew thought it wouldn't work ... a quick measure showed it being fine, so a big relief there. Ended up working on office stuff much of the day from home, despite taking vacation. Phooey. Never even got the chance to sit back and read, but did get a few personal emails in. Throws are washed and on the line in the backyard in the breeze, along with a few small throw rugs and my dust ruffle. Tackled a lot and allergies are kicking in to remind me.

Reset ticker, which is frustrating and embarrassing. I pulled out a small pocket notebook and logged food as i prepped it. Now for a mental reset. I think I need to start over again in the pink Beck book. My reasons for wanting to lose weight rarely change (probably because I've never got to my goal here lately in order to change to maintenance goals...) but a fresh listing is always motivating. Or should be.

Dinner tonight ended up being the light tortilla quesadillas with black beans, onion and a light bit of jalapeno cheese along with a sweet potato cubed and cooked with cumin and rice/corn. Most of the rice/corn mix is left, so that'll be used with a few other meals. I like having parts of other meals already set Burrito bowls!

Heading out to buy a fresh mattress pad and drop off recycling. Hot Friday night. DH suggested the movies but thinking about going at 11 a.m. tomorrow instead as it's considerably cheaper.
  • Good morning coaches,

Well I had 2 beers last evening, no sweets and stayed within my calories, but certainly on the high end. This morning I got out for my 5 1/2 mile neighborhood walk. The temp was still cool enough to get out, 75. Now it's 97 and just past 10 a.m. Oh my, it's going to be hot this week. My good friend that I'm doing the Camino with is going to be doing the Grand Canyon river rafting trip beginning on Wednesday. I worry how that will be. It's as hot at the bottom of the Grand Canyon as it is in Phoenix.

The dishwasher was installed yesterday. It is so quiet that I didn't know it was running. Boy is that a change from the last one. It hadn't been working right and I know it was much louder than when we first got it. We would have to turn up the television when it was running.

I spent all afternoon going through photos on my computer. I recently updated the operating systems on both my laptop and desktop. Somehow most of the photos were duplicated since somehow they share. Boy don't ask me how this all works. I have them stored in the cloud and all of a sudden I was going to need more storage. I deleted the duplicates and a ton of the others too. Since it doesn't cost film or developing to take a photo I take a ton. So many of them are the same over and over again from places I hike. I deleted so many and I'm sure I could delete so many more. I couldn't bring myself to delete any of the dog or certain places, but it's better anyway. I felt like I had been at work all afternoon. My shoulders were sore from sitting at the desk.

Nationalparker I'm sure a new bed is the next purchase for us and after that I want to new washer and probably a dryer too. I have a Maytag Neptune front loader that I hate and luckily it is about time to replace it. I'm going to get a top loader with an agitator if I can find one.

Ennay I hope you got some better sleep last night. My husband used to get a lot of work calls in the night and I was working at the time and not happy to be sure. Luckily that doesn't happen too often anymore.

Waving to all the rest of you. I suppose this week most of us are fighting either the dry heat or the humid heat except maybe Ennay. Stay cool and hydrate.
  • Morning coaches!

Yesterday " weighed and logged, food on plan. Did weights. ds had his baseball end of season party and I played in the parent/kid game. It was good not to be watching.

This morning i got my walk/run in. Up to 20% running so it is going well and I may have a running partner, although I know not to count on that. dd has her dance recital today and then we are going to a Father's day BBQ.

karenrn I am with you on the top loader. I have an old one that i hope never to have to replace. I replaced my dryer 2 years ago and I ended up with a SpeedQueen. Essentially the model they make for laundromats, but without the coin starter (that was an option too!) They are one of the few brands that last forever anymore, no fancy electronics, just heavy duty. My old dryer was made in 1969 so it was due, but they don't make them to last.
  • Hi coaches!

I'm coming up for air. LOL. Husband made it safely to Alaska on Thursday. I, Drove 400 miles that day going to the airport, back over to Glenwood to do some business and back home again. He made it to Alaska before I even got home. Yesterday was another driving filled day. The friend that I brought over from Glenwood needed to go to Denver to meet up with the other friend. We also needed to unload my car of a large quantity of kitchen items which got packed up while I was in Glenwood. The Denver friend is moving out of her place in Glenwood because she can't return to that altitude. So since she couldn't return to move, different friends have been packing up different sections of her apartment. once we unload her stuff, she informed me that she was counting on me to take she and the other friend over to the place where they were going to stay for two days while pet sitting. It was way further than I had expected and by the time I started home I got stuck in rush-hour traffic in Denver, and then got stuck in vacation/weekend and traffic out of Denver.

Food choices yesterday were mixed. I made some good choices and made some not so good choices. Today back on track. Credit.

Only having this one day to work in the yard I made a plan to complete a big unfinished project, which always includes weeds. I worked seven hours and did finish the biggest section. I had to give myself A talk and say look, it's already better than it was last year. You are making progress and Are ahead of the game. It's that Beck Way of thinking which helps me to see the good and not get discouraged. That does help me make better food choices.

So, back to the real job tomorrow. It's Father's Day and free ribeye steaks for all dads. It will be a crazy busy day so I am going to take the rest of the day and relax, basically doing nothing. I will read or play sudoku while listening to my favorite Saturday shows on NPR. I will probably fit in a short trip to the grocery store. I quit watching TV several years ago. I'm better without it.
  • Busy day here - ended up at the eye dr. because it felt like something was in my eye ... and after having two corneal ulcers two different years, I'm on high alert (one was drywall in my eyeball. I just like saying that.) anyway ... nothing out of the ordinary, just allergic bumps. She Rxd me a $200 Rx for the first week and a $190 one/monthly. I didn't fill them. I will call her back to ask for other options. That's nuts. In my book, anyway. On the go the whole day except for trying to help DH come up with an idea for his dad. Ended up with NASCAR tix for August. They'll both enjoy.

We're heading to his folks tomorrow - I'll get up and prep/bake the lasagna and make the salad and we can pick up bread. I just finished making the dessert - tried this strawberry shortcake icebox cake recipe. Was very surprised that I couldn't find sugar cookies at the market. None. I ended up with a doable swap and it is a brand that is just sugar, wheat flour, vanilla, butter and I can't remember the other item. All natural and nothing crummy in it. I got so frustrated that I couldn't find them, I was like I'll just bake up some crispy sugar cookies ... then realized that'd add another few hours to the project and I wouldn't be starting until after the Kevin James show anyway.

Off to make the "ticket" for his dad since they're being mailed out and need something to present to him.
  • Just a perfect day out there.
    Coaches

I was already out, returning the library books that were super late. I think I single-handedly support the library here with my late fees.

Such a gorgeous gorgeous day. Makes me want to go for a car ride. The local (sort of) organic farm may be my go to place for that car ride. I want to begin preparing for 30 days on a *specific* plan. Nationalparker I am ready to commit to a new pass through the pink book with you if you are still game. I would like to do that when I begin my structured foodplan, even though we both know Beck says "don't start any dieting for two weeks" (I think it's two weeks? See? I totally need to re-read the book!)

I am finally putting that sticky cold behind me. Wow. So much coughing. And tiredness. Wow. I'm glad you guys can't catch it from reading my posts. Glad I can't send you that virus

I am feeling relief at finally having sold a few things at the market yesterday.
    My new Sunday market starts next weekend. I am excited to see what it's like. It's in a touristy area and I am hoping that draws... tourists! LOL. Tourists are fantastic for me and for the things I make. Really looking forward to seeing what that market holds for me.

Guess I'll sign off. I am probably not going for the car ride as I have work to do today and tomorrow for next weekend. Tuesday I have to focus on ceramics so that will keep me occupied through to Thursday. I have to be productive today, which will be hard, cause all I want to do is play.
  • Checking in. I'm still doing well by just not thinking about food too much. Eat what I eat. I know what works for me, so just do it and get on with more interesting things.
  • What a busy, busy day on our end. Got up and started making a blueberry coffee cake for DH's folks. Then the lasagna. We then got ready and headed out there, then to see his ailing aunt as well. Home a half hour ago and I'm just tired. Feels like I've been on my feet all day but I wasn't when driving out there. Just weary. And among the many of us missing Dads.

OneByOne - I'm in - let me know when you're ready to start pink book. If I let it go a bit, I'll lose my focus again. And I"m going to have to be restarting focus now. The weekend wasn't terrible I just didn't log.

Karen - Your temps are blowing me away. Just crazy. How do you cope with those? Big test for your new ac units!!

Lexxiss - Thank you for the reminder that progress and not always completion are key. I needed that.
  • Hi coaches!

A brief check in before I head to bed. It was super super busy at work today! At one point I had half a small glass of orange juice because I felt a little bit dizzy. Later on, I shared a waitress mistake with my bus girl. We each had one piece of French toast with strawberries on it. The third piece got pitched.

I'm going to eat upstairs tonight. It's planned and simple. Credit.

Bummer news yet another rental project. Lady called to say some acoustic tiles fell down in her laundry room. Closer inspection indicated moisture in the insulation. Girlfriend and I climbed on the roof after work today. It's leaking. She is going to tear off the existing shingles tomorrow while I am at work. Will get me a list and I will go get supplies. If we can get a helper for Tuesday they will work on the roof otherwise we will do on Wednesday. Then replace insulation and ceiling tiles. Oh boy am I excited! LOL I do find gratitude when I can climb up a ladder onto a roof after a nine hour waitress shift. It keeps me mindful of my food choices.
  • Monday - Summer Solstice
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a joyful wedding with joyful family interactions. I watched the next generation working the situations smoothly. I was so pleased to see all folks pitching in to make it all work. For some reason, our family is spared the awful tensions of a single difficult person making problems at gatherings.

Food was just awful. I encountered Southern BBQ - the best I've ever had . . . ever! My plan was to eat a single plate of whatever that happened to be, but I failed that plan with the BBQ ribs. The closest thing I can do in defense is recall that I didn't insist on having the BBQ chicken and pulled pork in addition. I did sit at a table competing with a 12 year-old niece for the cucumber slices on the cruditι platter. CREDIT moi for a small step.

onebyone – Yep, need the veggies. Today is going to be Sugar Snap day at our house. Congrats on the sales to help you remember that you're a success as an artist.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – With a spare two hours on the way to the airport, we stopped at the Atlanta Botanical Garden. Chihuly glass sculptures were mixed into the plants throughout the area. Hundreds of orchids in the hot, humid room and then hundreds more in the cool, high-mountain room. It's worth a trip to Atlanta! They even let us in free using our various Massachusetts memberships. Kudos for getting in your walks.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for surviving a day with free ribeye steak for dads. I so admire that you're headed up to your roof to fix the leak. I've had poor luck finding roof leaks on my own. Just his weekend my nephew told me that an infrared camera can help find a roof leak by detecting the cool path of the route that the water is taking.

maryann - Your Exploratorium is just the neatest place ever. I'm glad that it's OK for adults to indulge.

nationalparker – I certainly recognize your "Head in sand. Frustrated" feeling after this weekend. I'll join you in trying to get head out of sand.

millie56 - Yay for kayaking! If you find the right piece of water you will easily be hooked for life.

Karen (karenrn) - Hope your dishwasher connections met Home Depot approval for installation. In our place, it's the uneven floors that drive the plumbers crazy.

ennay - Ouch for lack of sleep - so much is possible when fully rested. Kudos for playing baseball.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Chapter 6 Family Traps

#5: The Me-Last Martyr Trap

Over the next few weeks, Maxine gradually introduced additional changes - some temporary and others permanent. For example, she decided to cook just one meal for everyone. She got Claire to help her make dishes that they could freeze in single portions (lasagna, for example) for Clair to heat in the microwave for herself. And Claire always had the option of making herself a sandwich.

As time went on, Maxine slowly began to identify her needs and implement the necessary changes. Putting herself first became easier, especially when she realized that her family adapted to a new status quo fairly quickly.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 122
  • Good morning coaches,

Greetings from ****. Well not quite but it sure is hot. It was 88 when I got up this morning. Yesterday was the 5th highest temp I think ever. I did my grocery shopping by 6:30 a.m., was in the pool for a short bit before noon and spent the rest of the day indoors reading a book and watching the golf tourney with dh. Either 3 or 4 people died as a result of the heat. At least 2 of them were in their 20's and out exercising, hiking and mountain biking. Very sad. I'm not even going to bother worrying about outdoor exercise until it's under 85. Tomorrow I'll go to the gym for my class and do elliptical or whatever to get some steps in. This old gal wants to be alive. Today my exercise is going to be house work. I'm going to turn the air conditioner to 75 (which is cooler than usual) and then do the floors and the dusting. I've got chicken breasts in the oven that will last a couple of days for dinner and the sheets are in the washer.

Food was at the high end of calories both Saturday and yesterday actually 140 over. Yesterday I didn't earn any exercise calories, so that makes it tough. I'm enjoying some good fruit and probably more than I should have.

Bill I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding. Sounds like you had some good food. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Speaking of Chihuly, I probably mentioned this before but the Chihuly museum in the Seattle Center has the most beautiful display I've ever seen. Some of the glass is displayed in dark rooms and it's just fabulous. If any of you are ever in Seattle, I highly recommend it.

Lexxis You continue to amaze me. Now a roofing project? And I feel so proud with what little bit I do.

Nationalparker and Onebyone I'm going to join you in getting Beck refreshed. I have the Green Book and just got it out again. I'm going to be heading out of town Friday for a couple of days, home one night and then to California for 5 days or so. I will have control of the food I bring, especially the first couple of days and I need to remember that.

And yes, I'm very relieved that we have new AC units that we know will work well. With these kind of temps I just don't worry about getting out doors much at all. It is boring I'll admit and it's so weird to look outside, see beautiful blue skies, and then stay in the house, but it isn't forever. We have many months of great weather.

GardenerJoy Glad to hear you're working your plan. I'm trying for a similar one.

Well, time for a little breakfast and then to start the housework. Have a great Monday everyone!