Carb-Sensitive Dieting (Thread 5)

You're on Page 3 of 28
Go to
  • Jacqui hope you had a successful yard sale! I really need to have one this summer. When bro comes up he said he'd help me....he has a lot of experience from my mom's I told him well take the earnings and go kayaking and a nice meal out as an incentive.

Carol Sue snow! It's supposed to get to 36 overnight here and it's only 46 now

I've got to make something today with rhubarb.....I've got another batch ready to cut. I saw a recipe on FB I saved for some squares, so we'll see if it's doable. I made a compete for pork loin with my first cutting a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday's menu....
    Break - cheeseburger slider
    Lunch - cheeseburger slider
    Dinner - homemade prosciutto pizza, lite beers

I'm almost back down to my pb after an extra long Aunt Flo visit.
  • When I was a child, 6 or so, we had rhubard growing in our yard. I don't know where it came from. I don't think my parents were into planting back then. We used to cut it, stick it in the sugar bowl, and eat it. Mom never made anything with it. Never had it since. I don't even remember what it tasted like, I just liked it because it had sugar on it. LOL

Buh Bye Aunt Flo! See you not too soon!
  • PrairieQueen, I always dread having a yard sale, and then I'm glad I did it as I see the stuff leave, but afterwards, I am so exhausted! And that's where I am now. It was a very successful sale, despite the weather. It always looked like it would storm but never did during the sale, only overnight to make us have to clean up a wet mess in the mornings! And Saturday was Cold! Thanks! I hope your brother and you can have your yard sale this summer!

Carol Sue, lol, that sounds so like what a child would do! You should try rhubarb again (with or without sugar) and see if jogs your tastebuds' memory! The end of my post said "not found"? I don't see that! Thanks for the well wishes on my yard sale! IT went well! But I am SO tired!

I have not weighed the last couple of mornings. Too busy. I went overboard on Carb Day again, so I'm dreading getting on the scale in the morning! Oh wait, it's past midnight. It still feels like Sunday night to me. I've slept most the day so now I'm awake!
  • Evening all! DD's demon seed pup has gone home. We had a nice family dinner when she and boyfriend came to fetch the pooch.......lasagne, spinach salad, rhubarb squares (I skipped this). Eight days of school left but still unseasonably chilly here. My peaches survived the cold snap, as well as all the other "food" growing. Now it's TV time.

Break - sausage mcmuffin
    Lunch - Amy's bean/cheese burrito
    Dinner - lasagne, spinach salad
  • Jacqui, now I can't find the post that said "Not Found." It was right in the middle, the way that ad shows up on the last post. I wish I had copied it, now, so I could show you. LOL

Glad to hear that your yard sale went well. Part of me is a little disappointed that we are not going to participate in ours. I would really like to get a lot of the junk out of the house and I don't trust DH to go along with the donating. I know he will still want to go to Goodwill, but I don't think I'm going to buy any more for me until we get rid of some of this stuff we have. I really hate having to bring the unsold things back into the house. Right now they are out of sight, but I still know they're there.

I really don't want to try the rhubarb. I don't want to add any more foods to my list of "likes." I like too many already! LOL
  • Lol, Carol Sue, I understand about liking too many foods! I put leftover stuff from the yard sale out on the curb, but we have so much stuff that most of it didn't even make it out to the yard sale! Now, my DH is talking about having another one in August or September. Ugh.

PrairieQueen, brr, it did get cold! I'm ready for warm weather now!

I haven't weighed the last few days and that never turns out well. I always end up eating more than I want to when I'm not keeping track. I made it down to Tennessee today. It's so nice seeing my Dad. BUT I forgot my scale! I was trying to remember everything, but the scale didn't even cross my mind! (Freudian? )
  • Hello Ladies

I am trying to come back from ....

I decided I would do a restart on 5/9 weighing in at 180.7. As of today I am not far from that but I haven't been putting forth much effort either. I'm trying to get myself together thought wise to take better care of me. Today I was off and decided to at least try to eat properly. I can say I did well since it's bedtime for me so I won't be eating anything else I skimmed through the post ...

PrairieQueen I pray your brothers treatment goes well.

Jacqui glad your yard sale went well I just read your signature, ... so hoping for a brand new ending

Carol Sue I'm with you. I don't need to like another food, I like too many as it is

I need to get rid of all of the things that I can't fit. I pretty much easily get rid of the things that I don't use with ease but clothing and shoes seem to take forever

Good night
  • Hey Rennie! Just a fly by tonight....seven days if school to go

Break - sausage mcmuffin
    Lunch - 1/2 serving lasagne
    Snack - skinny popcorn
    Dinner - chicken quesadilla
  • Good morning ladies (and gentlemen)! I am draaaaaagging today. I'm so burned out with school, but the good news is I have all my finals ready and next year's beginning stuff, etc. etc. My room/lab is close to being clean. But I have no enthusiasm, and the kids have even less. Tomorrow is the last instructional day before exams start on Monday....yeah!!!

Yesterday's menu....

Break - sausage mcmuffiin
    Lunch - Amy's bean/cheese burrito
    Dinner - beef barbacoa quesadilla w/guac & sour cream (from a Chipotle copycat recipe I adapted for my Instant Pot), black beans w/onion & cilantro
  • PQ, Even though I'm looking back very, very far, I can remember the last days of school. The excitement to be out and free for the summer. But in the fall, I was also excited to start back. I loved getting new pencils, tablets, and other supplies. I missed seeing all the other kids and really looked forward to it. By Thanksgiving, the bloom was off the rose. LOL

Rennie, I cannot part with clothes. It doesn't matter if they fit or not. Funny, but I never have many that are too big. LOL I go through them about twice a year and get rid of anything that's out of style, but never get rid of things that are too tight. Nope! Might lose that weight some day. LOL
  • PrairieQueen yay for school being almost done of PrairieQueen, I bought something similar to the Instant Pot. I love that thing though I have only used it twice

Carol Sue I don't ever want to wear those clothes again. The ones that are too snug right now give me that reminder that I REALLY NEED TO GET MYSELF TOGETHER, so they are a keeper
  • Rennie, I know that everyone recommends that you ditch the clothes that are too big so you never grow back into them, but I learned that some things just happen, and there's nothing worse that going shopping for bigger clothes, after you got rid of the ones you had. Getting rid of them doesn't really stop you from a regain, it does happen sometimes, no matter how good your intentions are, so I always keep a few thing around to wear until I can get back down.

I've been bouncing back and forth between 197 and 201. Seeing the 201 the past few days, but I don't know why. Sure can't blame Aunt Flo! LOL She has definitely left the building!
  • Rennie, I'm so glad you're back! Good luck on your restart! You can do it!

Carol Sue, I remember those school days too as a kid. I was always ready for vacation and ready to go back. As a teacher, it was similar, but as a teacher I always thought year-round school would have been a better idea. Go to school for 9 weeks and take 3 weeks off, all year round. That way the kids wouldn't forget the material and teachers and kids wouldn't get so burnt out since they'd have a 3-week break every quarter. And 3 weeks is plenty of time to take a family vacation. Some states do year-round school but not Ohio.

PrairieQueen, woohoo on the countdown! I know you're excited!

My diet is all over the place since coming down to TN. I don't have a scale and I'm just not being very good. My dad and I are doing a lot of watching tv, and somehow I am just hungrier. Probably old habits. I may have to wait to get serious again when I get back home. I don't seem to be winning this battle right now!
  • Hi Everyone,

Since I'm doing CAD (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet) again which is more of a partially low carb diet, I thought I would come back to this group so that maybe it would help me to stay OP. I've been reading y'alls most recent thread here to kind of catch up on what y'all are all doing.

I have some tomatoes planted but plan to give them to a friend since we plan to move sometime the end of summer and don't want to move them. I'm not sure they would make it. I had not thought of canning my own, but DH loves canned tomatoes. I think I will plan on making that a project for the future once we move and get settled. In TX we also do a lot of fall gardening so I might be able to plant tomatoes this fall and can some for DH. I've never tried canning, but deceased Hubby absolutely loved canning and pickling veggies.

I am going to be getting things together that I am going to give to Goodwill. However, some of the things I may not can use when I move could go into a garage sale. My niece said that people love buying in garage sales in the town we are moving to in TX and I should save them and have a sale there. I probably will have to do that with some things.

Jacqui and P.Q. I love reading what you eat each day. I eat one carb meal a day called RM (Reward Meal) and 2 CM (Complimentary Meals) and a CM snack which are low carb meals. I like getting new ideas of what to eat. Thanks for sharing.

I am happy to say that eating this way is bringing my fasting blood sugar down as well as my blood pressure. I am not taking any blood sugar medicine because it was causing me too much bowel problems so I am managing my blood sugar with diet and exercise only. Since I've been eating this way, I've also experienced my blood pressure going too low which means I might be able to come off that medicine as well although I'm not coming off of it yet. Just watching it.

Carol Sue and Rennie and others
  • Hello from the UK. Please may I join this thread?

I'm 61, been around the dieting block too many times to count. I re-started on June 1st 2015, and had lost 79lbs by about March this year. Since then (my birthday, a couple of trips away etc etc) I've re-gained 11lbs. I'm aiming for 100lbs off, and had confidently expected to get to the 100lbs off before I experimented with maintaining, breaking out of diet mode. Heyho.

In June (a week after I'd started dieting, oh! the irony) I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes. I lost the 79 with a lowered carb way of eating, gradually reintroducing carbs on the advice of the diabetes nurse and the diabetes dietician. I had dropped my blood sugar radically, even with the reintroduced carbs, and everyone was awfully pleased with me, and told me I could relax a bit now, and try a 80:20 method ~ have an indulgence 20% of the time. They were quite anxious that I was too restrictive in what I ate. Unfortunately, I've been indulging 80% of the time, and here we are again.

To get my head back in gear, I'm going back to a lowered carb way of eating, which I'd instinctively turned to when I got the T2D diagnosis. I had a recommendation for the Harcombe Diet, and I've begun that this morning with bacon and eggs for breakfast. It seems a sensible diet, and the recipes are in British, which is comforting (not better! just good to find recipes that I recognize the ingredients and measurements for).

OK. I've had the yummy breakfast; now to read the book properly.

First goal: 159 ~ 11.6lbs away, and where I'd got to in March '16.
    Second goal: 138 ~ that would make 100lbs off since June '5.
    Third goal: Maintain for a bit without regaining stupid amounts.
    Fourth goal: 128 ~ still well within acceptable weight for my height
    Fifth goal: 118 ~ still well within acceptable weight for my height but heading towards thin, probably a good idea as I get older. It would also take me to just over 50% start weight lost.

Goal 4 is a likely desire. Goal 5 is negotiable. I might just stay put at 128, if I can.

Apologies for the ramble, and thank you for the inspiration I've already read here.