Carb-Sensitive Dieting (Thread 5)

You're on Page 12 of 28
Go to
  • Quote: love2b150, all the best for the Friday procedure and the Monday appointment.
    I think it went well, the nurse told me that you only have to do it every 10 yrs if everything looks ok and they told me they'd see me in 10 yrs. GOOD because I don't wanna repeat that prep any time soon, yuk!!
  • Quote: Rosinante, I over looked the part about waiting a month. I'm sorry you have to wait so long also. My next appointment isn't until September but my doctor wants the weight down by then. I hope I can make her happy with at least 15lbs gone. I'm gonna try and the dietitian should help with that

Yea, it's one of those things you'd rather have done sooner but they need to wait to see if the level of whatever it is that's raised has gone down again, so I have to wait. Heyho.

15lbs by September - that's a lot! Good luck with it but don't beat yourself up if you don't exactly to it, whatever we manage to lose is better than holding onto it
  • I'm new and I'm here too!
    Thanks for being here as well.
    How do you post a ticker here?
    Thanks
  • Rosinante, it seems like a lot but in my experience you lose about 6-10lbs of water when you first start out so it may be doable if I can stay focused. When I started my journey in 2010. I lost 30lbs from 5/27-9/13 I think ... just eating right and walking. If I can get that drive back again, I think I can do it again. We shall see Praying your levels go down

Elizanh, in order to get a ticker, you have to be a member 20 days to the exact minute you started/joined and have 20 post.
  • Happy Sunday everyone! Wow, I hadn't realized I'd been gone for so long. I see everyone is having tests and checkups, including me. Rosinante sending positive vibes your way as you wait. Carol Sue glad to hear that "abnormal" was actually normal. Rennie glad it's over... You are so much braver than me! I had a checkup Thursday and I "declined" the referral for a colonoscopy. I told them I wasn't "ready" yet. I did take the orders for the blood work and mammogram.

I went to a very long auction yesterday and got a few "steals." I now have another furniture project waiting for me, but I'm excited about it. I also picked up some retro Libby glasses in their holder, vintage linens, old Pyrex and some more muffin pans and cookie sheets. There's another auction in town in two weeks I'm going to as well. I hear it's loaded with goodies.

Whenever I have a successful auction day we usually go out to dinner that night, and we did last night...yum!

Yesterday...
    Break - leftover piece of homemade pizza
    Lunch - natural peanut butter on sourdough
    Snack - two kiwis
    Dinner - salad, 6 oz. sirloin, sweet potato fries
    Snack watching the musicians - two craft ciders

I promised hubs buttermilk pancakes this morn, so I had to have some too w/bacon. He will not eat meat with his pancakes. The English think we're weird for doing so. I love it! However, I'm paying for it already as the pure maple syrup has done a number on my digestion....
  • Sorry PrairieQueen but I have to laugh at the maple syrup and your digestion You didn't go through the colonoscopy prep but you are doing exactly what I did on on Thursday and Friday, that made me smile when I read it Now with that said I wish I could be there for the pancakes. I love them with pork sausage patties so good Good job on your auction finds.
  • Break - pancakes, maple syrup, bacon
    Lunch - philly cheesesteak on sourdough
    Snack - two kiwis
    Dinner - barbecue pork shoulder, potato pancake, green beans, caramel truffle

All small portions, of course.
  • I haven't had a pancake for so long, and I love them. But just with butter, no syrup. Food is not supposed to taste sweet, unless it's dessert. I have my own quirks! LOL

PQ and Rosinante, I have a question about the English eating habits that maybe one of you can answer. My maternal grandfather was from England, and my mother told me that he never allowed bread served at a meal that includes potatoes. This was many, many years ago when my mother was growing up, so I really don't think it had anything to do with watching carbs. Is this an English custom, or just a quirk of my grandfather's?
  • Haven't heard of that one, WBH!!

On reflection, I think we probably didn't eat bread with a potato meal but I think it was because the main meal of the day was called Dinner in my childhood household and was eaten in the middle of the day; it was the meat and two veg kind of meal, with some kind of dessert; the evening meal was called Tea in my childhood household, and was more likely to be sandwiches of some kind, with some kind of cake. So I guess it just wouldn't have occurred to us to have bread at lunch time, the more I think about it, it would have felt a bit odd but there was no rule about it, it just didn't arise!

ps We're a Scottish family but I would imagine the English were the same in the 50s and 60s....
  • Quote:
    On reflection, I think we probably didn't eat bread with a potato meal but I think it was because the main meal of the day was called Dinner in my childhood household and was eaten in the middle of the day; it was the meat and two veg kind of meal, with some kind of dessert; the evening meal was called Tea in my childhood household, and was more likely to be sandwiches of some kind, with some kind of cake. So I guess it just wouldn't have occurred to us to have bread at lunch time, the more I think about it, it would have felt a bit odd but there was no rule about it, it just didn't arise!

ps We're a Scottish family but I would imagine the English were the same in the 50s and 60s....
    Yes, just the same as Rosinante. I still call those meals dinner (sometimes lunch) and tea.

And Rosinante!
  • Carol Sue hubs would love it if I gave him bread and potatoes at the same meal! Along with the others we call our evening meal "tea" even though it is the biggest meal of day through the week at our house. If it's late, it's called "supper," and desserts are slways called "pudding." Hubs has been in the US nine years now and calls his lunch "lunch" now. He does have quirks with eating....utensils at the 4 o'clock on plate when finished, sandwiches and just about everything eaten with knife and fork, a bite of chocolate after lunch and tea, etc. but he thinks the Americans are strange as well.

I dropped almost a pound overnight..... a little over a pound to get back to my pb of 138.8. I'm hoping to get to 129.8 by Christmas. If I didn't not I'm ok with it, but I have such a small frame I really should drop a little bit more. I've done well with the calories and water today. I've hardly done any activity today though compared to my usual. I' may go out in garden after dinner....the weeds are calling.
  • Silverbirch. Long time!! How are you doing?

On further reflection on the bread thing, I think if we'd asked for bread with our Dinner (lunch) it would have implied that the meal wasn't big/filling enough, and that would have certainly offended Mum!!
  • Rosinante, all right, thank you. But still here, with a complicated life and with too much weight. More in fact. It's a continual struggle. You're doing so well! Many congrats!
  • Now that I think of it, my mother also told me that my grandparents ate their largest meal in the middle of the day. I didn't realize that was an English tradition, but thought it coincided with my grandfather's work schedule. Ate the big meal before leaving for work. I think Americans eat the largest meal in the evening because of the typical 9-5 work schedule. I know some people who eat their largest meal in the middle of the day, and I think that is healthier. Not going to bed with a full stomach.

DH prefers the largest meal in the evening, and often that's the only meal he eats.

When I was growing up, my mother made a lot of home made bread every Saturday. We ate bread at most meals for the purpose of filling us up, since other food was scarce. Many times lunch was just bread spread with whatever we had, usually jelly or apple butter.

I remember hearing about "tea" and thinking it was just that......a cup of tea!
  • Just wanted to wish everyone a fantastic Tuesday