1st two weeks- why have I barely lost any?!

• I started Ideal Protein on March 4th and had my first weigh in on March 9th, so it wasn't quite a week yet but I lost 5.1lbs, and an inch in my waist. Normally I'd be happy but I was kind of disappointed because I know the first weigh in is supposed to be biggest. I'm 242lbs and I've always eating unhealthy, never really dieted so I thought I'd lose more. I hear of people starting out much smaller than me and losing double digits their first week. Now today is Mon, my 2nd weigh in is on Wednesday and I keep stepping on my home scale (not sure how accurate it is) but I think I've only lost 2-3lbs. Am I doing something wrong?? I have stayed strictly on the program, 3 packets a day, ONLY drinking water, I didn't even get a restricted item this week. I know I'm not supposed to exercise but should I go on long walks? I'm trying not to stress out but I thought I'd have lost more.
  • IP says women lose an average of 2-3 pounds per week. If your home scale is right, and you've lost 3 pounds this week, that's an average of 4 pounds/week. I know it's hard to be satisfied, but honestly, there's no other diet that will create those kinds of losses in such a short time. Make sure your coach measures inches, too. You may not see a huge drop in weight but lose quite a few inches.

I started at 213 pounds and lost 5.5 pounds the first week, and an average of 3 pounds/week thereafter.
  • Quote: I started Ideal Protein on March 4th and had my first weigh in on March 9th, so it wasn't quite a week yet but I lost 5.1lbs, and an inch in my waist. Normally I'd be happy but I was kind of disappointed because I know the first weigh in is supposed to be biggest. I'm 242lbs and I've always eating unhealthy, never really dieted so I thought I'd lose more. I hear of people starting out much smaller than me and losing double digits their first week. Now today is Mon, my 2nd weigh in is on Wednesday and I keep stepping on my home scale (not sure how accurate it is) but I think I've only lost 2-3lbs. Am I doing something wrong?? I have stayed strictly on the program, 3 packets a day, ONLY drinking water, I didn't even get a restricted item this week. I know I'm not supposed to exercise but should I go on long walks? I'm trying not to stress out but I thought I'd have lost more.
    Are you also making sure to get your 2 tsp of oil in every day? That can help boost weight loss and make you feel fuller Also, make sure you're getting your 4 cups of veggies and 8 oz. of meat.

You're losing weight at a normal IP pace, so don't stress yourself out Stress will only make it worse Good luck!!
  • Hi Blondie! Welcome and 8 pounds in 2 weeks is amazing!

HIS and kat have given you some great advice. Also remember:

- everyone's weight loss journey is going to be different (it's YOUR race, and you are winning!)

- talk to your coach - some people starting out +200 lose better when they add an extra packet - but that needs to be a decision between you and your coach

- water - you mention that is all you are drinking, but how much? Are you monitoring your intake - IP says at least 64oz, but 1/2 body weight is recommended by many. The more water you drink, the less you retain.

Keep going! At the end, regardless of how fast or slow you lose, getting to goal makes it all worthwhile
  • Blondie,

You've received a lot of great thoughts and advice. I will add--I have a slow thyroid, and so my weight loss pace was below average. I knew that going in to to IP though.....just a thought, has your thyroid been checked?
  • Hi Bondie,

I think 8 pounds in two weeks is fantastic! I weighed 237 when I started and the first week, I lost 5 pounds. It took me 9 months to lose 79 pounds.
  • I misread the 5 pounds as half a pound. You are doing really well!!!!!!!
  • It is ALL a matter of perspective. You are disappointed at ONLY losing 7-8 pounds, but you would completely freak out if you gained that in the same amount of time! This diet works for all of us. All diets out there tell us to not compare our results to the results of others. Please keep this in mind. You are rocking this diet! Remember - EVERY LOSS IS A GREAT LOSS! You are on a journey. It takes time but will be worth every minute and every pound or fraction of that lost. The important part to focus on is that YOU are NOT where you were 2 weeks ago! You have improved your health and are closer to your goal! Celebrate every victory on your journey! Do not let your self voice put down any accomplishment you ever make. Sometimes we can be our worst critics and allow our inner voice to say things to us we would never take from another person. I stepped on the scale and found that I had gained weight and was shocked - until my BCA (Body Composition Analysis) showed that I lost fat and gained muscle. The number on the scale is only one perspective on our weight loss journey. Do not let that number dictate your feelings for the day or week. Every loss is a great loss!