Lots of Cucumbers!

• A friend gave me about a dozen cucumbers from her garden. Besides salad, eating raw, cucumber salad, are there any suggestions what else I can do with all these cucumbers that would work in Phase 1/Phase 2? If anyone has any great cucumber salad recipes, I would also appreciate it!
  • Cucumbers taste really good in stir fry. Just peel and scoop out the seeds. Stir fry with a little sesame oil add snow peas or broccolli maybe shrimp. Yummy Julie
  • Try slicing them and putting them and onions in a jar with vinegar and splenda. Let them sit overnight in the fridge. YUMMMMM!!!!
  • Thanks for the idea! I would have never thought of a stir-fry but it does sound good!
  • Another idea - Slice thin and put a little salt over them and let stand for about an hour. rinse well and drain. Then mix some cider vinegar and ff sour cream together,salt and pepper to taste, and pour over the cucumbers. Very tasty, and some slices of onion add to it nicely. Can't give you amounts exactly, since I don't know how many cucumbers you want to use. Ann
  • Cucumbers
    You said to put the cucumbers in a jar with vinegar and Splenda could you tell us how much of each?
    I make my cucumbers as follows and just love them.

Sweet-Sour Cucumbers
    3 large cukes peeled and sliced thinly
    4 Tbsp white vinegar
    1 1/2 tsp of table salt
    1 pack of artificial sugar
    1/2 tsp heaping dry dill
    Thin small slices of white or red onion - to taste
    Fresh ground pepper - to taste

Peel and slice cukes into storage container. In small container mix other ingredients in together mix well and pour over cukes and let it marinate together overnight. Eat and enjoy.

If you want the cukes sweeter or sourer just add a little more of the salt, sugar or vinegar. You can kind of mix it to your own taste and its really good with chicken and beef.
  • YUMMY!!! Sweet Sour Cucumbers...... My mom gave me some last night, and I will be making that tonite, so i can have them tomorrow THANK U!!
  • Thanks, the recipe for the Sweet Sour Cucumbers sounds good. I will make that tonight. Thanks for sharing!!
  • Loved the recipe and will enjoy cuc's again.

TY

Lady M
  • I love cucumbers!! I eat sliced cucumbers for snacks almost every day. Last night I had cucumbers and onions in balsamic vinegar. It was so yummy.

The recipe for the sweet sour cucumbers sounds great, I'm definitely going to try it. Annie, you should post your recipe in the recipe thread at the top of the board! And I've never stir fried them either, never would have thought of doing that, but will have to try that also.
  • I made this last night for a quick dinner.

Cucumber sauce
    1-2 cucumbers seeded and diced
    About a cup of plain nonfat yogurt
    salt and pepper
    or other seasonings (I used Mrs. Dash garlic something?)

Turkey Pitas with Cucumber sauce
    Use whole wheat pitas - In each half I put:
    1/2 slice of low fat cheese
    some thinly sliced turkey breast
    2 tablespoons of the Cucumber sauce
    a splash of Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing

They were yummy!
  • I just posted my recipe for freezer dill pickles in the recipe thread.
  • When I get as minute, I will split off the recipes from this thread and move them to the Recipe Thread under Cucumber Ideas. In the meantime, please post recipes in that thread as I am closing this one.
    I also need to edit non-recipe stuff out of the recipe thread. What a group of keeners.

xoxoxox

Your Long Suffering Moderator
    who keeps trying to fly-lady this Forum!