Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 7 of 17
Go to
  • Read the next chapter in Beck and can see I'll have to revisit some (eating slowly - while at work I rush through it) and others are not an issue (sitting down to eat).

Credits today include healthy meals, hot cup of tea when I got home to relax and not rush into dinner. Reread advantage card and made a separate one to have at work with work advantages - such as more confidence, look more professional, able to do the four flights of stairs to my office easier, etc.

Hi Prairie Chicken! Glad you popped in here!

Thanks, FutureFitChick for the Morningstar veggie breakfast link idea - I use their black bean burgers, but haven't eaten the breakfast links. Will give them a try.

Snow coming in this evening and into the morning. Dentist in the morning. Dread. Should be the last of the "quarters" of my mouth that they're redoing old work. I hope the roads are decent but it's close to home, too.

Maryann - KUDOS for having the discussion with your boss about what you need to let go to be more efficient and take better care of yourself. Great job! I think when we're overloaded, it's easy for others to keep piling it on.

OneByOne - Hope you enjoyed some good David Bowie music today to keep you company and revisit some memories.

CurlyJax - What a novel idea to just "BE" on a rest day and recharge yourself. I like that. With DH working nights, I am enjoying the time alone to get some things done, but tomorrow night I might just have a self-care evening - pedicure (done myself), manicure, etc.

Bill - Sounds like the dining experience was a nice treat! That's good to hear. Smiling at the shorts in 60 ... he'll be bundled up tonight as the cold moves east!

The idea of moving south and close to the ocean continues to beckon. I'm going to print up some of the photos I took on our trip, and put one on the fridge - the desolate beach in early morning. So peaceful. I want to go back, but for now it'll be in my mind.
  • Welcome Prairie Chicken
    Prairie Chicken

And, in case you didn't get one of these three years ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
  • Tuesday - R.I.P. David Bowie
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – After dinner the other night, the waitress offered to make a takeout box for what I left on my plate. I declined, CREDIT moi. The big deal for me is that I left enough food at a restaurant to get that offer - not my usual lick-the-plate-clean style.

Spent most of the day preparing for an evening meeting where I had to present a spreadsheet of how we were going forward. Doing anything at the last minute creates problems that wouldn't otherwise be there, e.g. the google cloud has its own concept of creating a spreadsheet. I sometimes bleed nostalgic for the old days of an office computer running Linux, no advertisements, and a zillion tools to create lists from the names of directories. I did restrain myself in front of a table of snacks for two hours, CREDIT moi.

onebyone – LOL at being cold in Canada in January - who'd have guessed? Yep, the Cancer lurking in each of us is sobering.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's good to be reminded that ten minutes exercise can improve the mood.

FutureFitChick – Kudos indeed for continuing your walk past the point when you first wanted to quit.

maryann - Kudos for "SWEETLESS AT WORK in three different months" and Super Kudos for asking for what you needed at school.

nationalparker – Good idea that cup of tea as a break. Love the dream of a deserted beach.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat to bookend the long sit of a football game with walks.

Sandy (love2garden) - Your book on Historical Geology sounds so neat. I'll keep it on my list for the next time I'm ready to take that trek. Kudos for stopping at one Pecan Sandie.

Prairie Chicken - Buying Beck Diet for Life is a great start on a new journey. Looking forward to you choosing your eating plan and exercise plan as you come to those parts of the program. My greatest surprise was discovering how often I ate standing.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Escape the When Things Calm Down Trap

When you are busy, you may think you can't possibly be disciplined about eating, too. But exerting your willpower is likely to help you feel better than giving in to your cravings.
    • Think about a time when you gave in to a craving and a time when you resisted: which made you feel better an hour later?

• When you're going through a stressful time, take extra care to read your reminder cards often - even several times a day - to help you remember that getting off track with your eating will make you more stress, not less. (You don't need the additional stress of feeling guilty about something you ate!) Staying on track will help you feel more in control of your eating and more in control in general, which will make you feel less stressed overall.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 62
  • Hi Coaches!

A brief check in before I head to work. Food according to plan yesterday. I encountered some hunger at work and resisted eating anything else, especially the THREE boxes of donuts brought in by various people. Credit. I plan to travel today although I feel a bit of a bug coming on.

Prairie Chicken, Welcome! Glad you are joining us!
  • Good morning coaches,

I had better post early this morning as my friend arrives later this morning and this may be my last chance for the day. Food was on plan and within calories yesterday, credit. Exercise was pretty much non-existent. I could have walked around the airport while I waited for my flight, but I didn't feel like lugging around my carry-on.

Last night was the first night of the Daniel Plan. Probably 30 or 40 people there so lots of new people to meet. Last night was just a brief overview. I think for now I will just kind of keep doing what I'm doing, but try to remove the artificial sweetener. I have not liked Stevia in the past, but I'll give it another try. I pretty much just use it in the morning with my oatmeal, or maybe I'll just add a date or two and make sure I have the calories for that.

Lexxis It would be so tough to resist the donuts; good for you. I guess I have to thank my lucky stars that pretty much the only food I see is what I bring in to my home.

Bill Good for you for leaving enough to be offered a take-out box. I am also one who leaves a clean plate most often.

Nationalparker I see your ladybug is on the move. Good job.

Maryann That is really telling that your boss recognizes you do the work of two full time people. I hope you can get things honed down a bit. Good job on no sweets at work during three months too.

Love2garden Yes Wilson is good and fun to watch. It seems he is really a nice guy, too. Last nights game was great and what a bonus to get your ironing done too. I left for a meeting, but saw the ending. I wouldn't be such a sports fan, but I like to be in the same room with dh.

Onebyone I hope you got rested up yesterday. Your weekly decluttering thread is calling to me, but now I have company coming for 9 days. She will be working on the computer at least part of each day, I might just try to work on the photos during that time.

FutureFitChick Do you mean the huge Seven Summits as in Mt. Everest and the highest on each continent? Holy moly. On the Daniel Plan did you do the fast portion? I'm debating on doing it or not. If so, I won't do it until after my friend leaves.

Welcome Prarie Chicken!

Waving to GardenerJoy and Curlyjax!
  • hi coaches-
    brief check in. Exercise yesterday was nipping around the grocery store and stretching- wow, I am so tight and sore in my legs! I find it easier to stretch in the warm weather but I really need to make that a goal, since it keeps me from walking more.
    Eating okay- I hadn't made my lunch salad but I've done that today. I did snack last night but it was cereal, and I was really hungry, I guess I didn't eat that much yesterday total!

Prairie Chicken- I like your picture. Welcome!
    Lexiss- good job resisting hunger at work, it is really hard to be around food all day and not eat!
    Wave to all!
  • I followed my plan just like I planned yesterday -- that feels like an accomplishment, especially on a bread-baking day.

I also survived an oddly timed supper due to a meeting. And, ate no snacks at the meeting. That wasn't that hard since I never eat snacks at meetings any more, but I'll take CREDIT any way. Even when I'm doing badly that's a rule that I don't break because letting myself get into overeating mode at a meeting means that I focus on food instead of the reason that I showed up.

WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +40 420/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick: David Tenant is the Doctor who got me into the new series, so I'll go with him, although Tom Baker is a sentimental favorite.
  • Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Good morning so far, and I don't anticipate any major issues the rest of the day. I walked this morning. We got ~4" of snow overnight, which somehow added 0.05 miles to the 1.55 miles my GPS usually counts on my walk. Maybe I looked drunk while walking?

Today I am reviewing NO CHOICE and craving management! I only skimmed the section, as I was in a rush to get to sleep last night. I moved the Hunger Experiment to Friday or Saturday of this week, depending on what our weekend plans turn out to be. I found that really difficult in the past and need to get some work turned in, so I don't want to be preoccupied by my whining-self wanting to eat.

Had some strong emotions last night surrounding STILL BEING IN GRAD SCHOOL working on the dissertation that I can't seem to get through. I wanted to indulge in a big ice cream sundae, but I didn't. CREDIT!!!!

BillBlueEyes, great job leaving food on your plate! Extra CREDIT for dealing with treats after computer-related angst!

Curly Jax, good job getting in some stretching. I need to add that back in my morning workouts, as I haven't been doing any this time around.

Gardener Joy, glad your timing for bread baking worked out for your lunch. I started with Tenant and haven't gone back to watch many of the old ones. I loved his energy.

Karen, RN, way to go keeping your food on plan! I don't remember if my Daniel Plan book had a fasting component. I will have to pull it out and look later today. I kind of doubt it, but will check.

Lexxiss, three boxes of doughnuts is enough to make me crazy! Great job for running the doughnut gauntlet!

Love 2 Garden, great job on logging all of your food!

Mary Ann, great job to be "SWEETLESS AT WORK in three different months"! I am really excited that your work conversation went so well. It inspires me, actually! Juiced sweet potato cubes sound interesting. I don't have a juicer, but if I ever get one, I will give it a whirl.

National Parker, I really like your idea of having work-specific Advantage Cards. Hope you had a safe drive this morning.

OnebyOne, I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with strong emotions surrounding family. Hope today is better for you!
  • Good day, coaches! May the afternoon and evening go well for you all.

Bill, I was on the Ideal Protein thread for many months; lost 30 lbs, but then my hair started to fall out. IP moderator, Lisa, referenced the Beck books several times. It made sense that I need change in congitive behavior as I know what to eat, I just don't DO it.

So here I am, back at my starting weight after some family/personal issues. Every day, every hour can be a challenge.

But credit, did a yogalates workout on YouTube this morning. Feelin' it. May need to take some Vitamin I (ibuprofen).
  • Who can say
    Coaches

I must have had lots of sodium yesterday. Weighed in +2.4 to a number higher than I started the January Weightloss Challenge. I know better than to dwell on this. This is not an emergency. It will go away.

Today I am drinking more water.
    Today I am walking a bit.
    Today I also made a sweet thing I needed to make and it is not made. I have no reason to make that again until either a potluck comes along or the holidays.

I have caught up with the kitchen and it is once more this side of clean. Credit moi. It was teetering on the edge of cluttered again. Not this time though. I'll take a credit for that again since it is remarkable.

Foodwise we have several kinds of leftovers so it's no sweat today.

Tomorrow I have a lunchtime dim sum outing with the guild ladies (once a year event). I'm looking forward to it. I also return to the ceramic room tomorrow. And all of a sudden I need to produce 6 paintings by Jan 25th for two shows. I have work I could show, but I prefer to show new work. That's the goal anyway. And I have decided to apply to summer shows with my paintings this year. My ceramic partner is not doing so great. I am not going to stress her out. And I need to keep pushing my own work forward.

What keeps falling by the wayside is the exercise. I am resisting it big-time. I need to not make a fuss over that. I need to just do something to move me forward. This year seems to be all about that: moving forward.

Have a good evening.
  • I, too, am resisting exercise and that is tomorrow's Beck chore. Today was to make time for dieting and healthy eating and I already do that, menu planning, marketing and prepping our meals and packing our lunches. I think tonight I'll journal about my resisting planned exercise - unplanned is always welcome, never passed up.

Dentist appt. resulted as I expected, a cracked tooth resulted in a crown. For some reason, just not feeling great today. I hope to take a hot bath and hit the sack early to avoid munching on this or that because I've eaten lightly today. Skipped breakfast (morning appt.) and I have a track record of overeating at the next meal, but didn't.

Made a light quiche for dinner. Sounds impossible, but with eggbeaters and light milk, veggies, etc., it doesn't hammer us. It's one dinner I always want more of, but one I never do take more of. Not sure why.

Cold day/night. Wind chill is now -11 or so and low tonight later will be 1. I can only imagine what you're feeling tempwise, OneByOne. Ugh. I have water dripping as our master bath taps freeze up when temps get close to 0. I might end up sleeping on the couch as the drip-drip-dripping isn't as relaxing as an ocean surf.
  • Wednesday - Zola’s “J’accuse” printed (1898)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – My tolerance for bureaucracy keeps getting less and less. The good news: the pharmacy only took a minute to type in the ID on my new drug plan into their computer - all done. The ulcer part: the new drug insurance company decided that I was due for a penalty because I had gone without coverage since last July. Huh? Their threatening letters demanded proof. When I finally got to a human on the phone and jumped through their hoops identifying myself and all the secret security questions, they merely wanted the ID number of my old policy - there is not gap; there is no penalty. Duh!

Walk, CREDIT moi, included a few errands. Cold temperatures have finally arrived and even include a dusting of snow visible on the yard this morning. Yesterday's Boston Globe was delivered early enough to read with breakfast. A backordered Christmas present for my DD arrived. The little things just move along.

onebyone – I need this one also: "This year seems to be all about that: moving forward."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Inspiring thought, "I never eat snacks at meetings any more."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Triple Kudos for resisting three boxes of donuts.

FutureFitChick – LOL that 4" of snow adds 264' to your standard walk. NO CHOICE is just one of the best strategies that Beck teaches.

nationalparker – Ouch for the new crown - do you do gold or enamel finish? Congrats for being able to quickly make a quiche.

Karen (karenrn) - Bon voyage into your Daniel Plan - working with a group sounds like a great idea.

curlyjax - Kudos for stretching - I wish I'd remember to do more.

Prairie Chicken - This certainly sums up what we're trying to do with the Beck strategies, "I know what to eat, I just don't DO it." LOL at "Vitamin I (ibuprofen)."

Readers -
    Quote:
    Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Creating Escape PLans for Stress Traps

Stress is part of life; there's no chance you're going to be rid of it, so you need to learn how to manage it. Avoiding stress traps requires a multipronged approach. Look for ways to decrease your stress level and increase your self-care. Tune in to your stress eating. Does it truly help you manage stress, or does it make things worse? Then create an escape plan for each difficult situation you identify, using the process described beginning on page 42.
    1. Identify a future situation in which a stress trap might arise.
    2. Predict and record your sabotaging thoughts.
    3. Write a compelling response to each sabotaging thought.
    4. Develop a list of strategies.
    5. Review and revise your escape plan often.
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 62
  • Good morning coaches,

Food and exercise both good yesterday, credit. My friend arrived from Seattle and it will be so fun to have her here as we are following the same food plan and both wanting lots of exercise. Four of us went to Europe and did the Tour du Mont Blanc 2 1/2 years ago, both the other gals are in town and we saw one of them yesterday. We'll have a reunion soon. The other two have condos here but live in MN and Vancouver B. C. I was the instigator since I know them all.

Bill Anything with healthcare is just a pain anymore. Blue Cross is making a good bit on me since they keep raising my premium and my deductible is so high (my choice) that for the $415/mo I get one well woman exam per year and I pay for the rest. Of course I don't want to get my money's worth because that would mean I'm really sick.

Nationalparker I just can't imagine your temperatures. I have never lived where it got that cold. Washington was grey and drizzly, but nothing like those temps. Do you belong to a gym? I can see how it would be hard to get exercise if you have to go out in those temps to do it.

Onebyone Enjoy the dim sum. I get it so seldom. I am so amazed at how you can do your art and so many different kinds. If I had to turn out a painting it would take the rest of my life.

Prarie Chicken Hair falling out is not a good thing. I did a diet once that was so low calorie mine did the same. At the time I thought, "Gee I will be the thinnest little bald woman." Of course it came back, but I vowed never to do that again. Now that I hike so much I pretty much vow never to eat so little that I don't have energy.

Future Chick Are you working on your doctorate? Holy moly you will be glad to be finished with that I'm sure. I got my Master's when I was in my 40's and swore I would never go back to school. The work never seems to end. The fast on the Daniel Plan is just giving up alcohol, caffeine, sugar, gluten and dairy as I recall. I'm still not sure I'm even going to attempt it as I don't think I'm going to give up any of them for life.

GardenerJoy I have some of those same rules for where I don't eat, meetings, the movies, in the car. I don't even think about it. I guess it's one of those No Choice kind of things.

Waving to the rest of you.

I just got a text from a friend who I will walk with this morning while Sandee does a little work. It will be a two walk day and I think I'll be about caught up with the miles I may have missed on travel days. I tell you it is feast or famine around here for having friends around and things to do. This month is a huge feast and I will enjoy it and remember it come July.
  • Yesterday's substitutions were mostly reasonable. I want to be a bit more careful about eating when I'm alone in the house. Things didn't get out of hand, but that's a slippery slope for me.

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +40 460/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • Struggling right now - there are boxes of See's chocolates around the office, in the kitchen, on file cabinets. All I can think about are how much I LOVE this particular flavor of See's chocolate, the brown sugar one. It's slightly sweet. HA. It's a square of melted sugar. ANYWAY, I took one, bit into it and threw it away. It wasn't what I hoped it was. SO ... I went to another box and tried another one, same result. I would feel worse about wasting the chocolate if they were just opened and folks were swarming around them, but they're just out there laying open. Tempting me. Any other brand, no temptation. Thought about taking a pb one for DH. I'm afraid it wouldn't make the drive home and the evening alone with me while he works.

Regular check in later. This allowed me to see more clearly. And reread my work advantages, including look less frumpy at work.