~*New Year, New You Challenge 2016*~

You're on Page 6 of 23
Go to
  • Hi guys! I finally have internet access again so I can join in the fun! Yay!

No time for personals but I promise I will get there next time. I'm feeling pretty positive that I will be able to shed a few pounds this challenge, especially being free from the holiday food finally, and I have my Bahamas trip in February to keep me motivated. Somehow even after the holidays my weight is a pound lower than I ended the last challenge, which is great but makes it that much harder to shed this time! I am trying to stick to my NY resolution of logging my calories every day in my Lose It app, even if I go way over my goal. If anyone is using that and wants to be friends let me know!

SW: 130
    GW: 120 (ambitious I know, but shoot for the moon, right?)
  • Quote: My start weight is 223 (todays weight) so my goal for march 7 will be 210. I did send Riestrella a pm. I didnt see the thing about 10 posts until just now. This is actually my second account on this forum, my first was even older than this one and i actually had posts on it ,but didnt remember the account info. Anyways thanks for your help! I'll get on those 10 posts!
    Sinderhella:
    Your data is on the spreadsheet now. Good luck with the challenge!

Munchey
  • Awesome, thank you!

ETA= just got done with my work out! This is my 3rd work out in a week and I'm pretty proud. I had not worked out since before I found out I was pregnant with my son last january. I made chicken parmesan for dinner tonight and it was hard to not eat the whole chicken breast, but i cut it in half for left overs later this week, and opted for salad with it instead of noodles. I'm 10 points under my weight watchers allotment for the day. I'm not sure if I should be aiming to be on target with my points or under. Does anyone know?
  • Yes this thread seems really positive and motivating. Did a little better today eating wise and my fiancee and I went for our walk.

We've got this.

Sinderhella - Not sure about the WW pts. Just wanted to say awesome job making healthy substitutes & making the effort to workout.
  • wow -- thanks a lot for all the calorie counting app tips, everyone!

I'm really happy today, as finally the new year eve's weight is starting to come off! I know it's mostly water weight, but still, it makes me feel great! I've been trying my best to eat well and I can hardly believe I've been eating only home cooked food for about 1 week now.

makebelieve - Thank you for the apps! I tried MFP for a short while but I didn't really stick with it back then. They've got lots of French food in there too so that'd be sure to help! I'd never heard of fooducate or prevent either, they look really interesting! Also, gg for today!

Also thank you for your input, HaveDogWillDiet, Penny, Ri! I'm looking into all of them and hopefully find the good calorie tracker I've been looking for!

Riestrella - hubby is French, so we'll probably be living here for a while! I remember back in 2012 you were in Japan, are you still living there?
    And indeed, everyone should be able to go to art school at least once in their lives! I actually got a law diploma, but I couldn't do much with it in France. So I decided to go back to school, only this time do something I love. Feels weird to be the oldest student, but hey, it's worth it!

dayoneagain - I'm with you there: it's actually the first time I'm counting (and weighing) everything I eat and it's just so surprising! Though I tend to underestimate my intake, which explains why I was so hungry and cranky in the first days of calorie counting. Also I hope your workouts go well, don't overdo it!

Sinderhella - Welcome! And great job on the nice start!

Tiny Tiger - Yay, welcome!

let's keep motivated, everyone!
  • Yep, weight snapped back up. Looks like my body wants to stay at this weight for a while. That's fine - I'll just sit tight and keep doing what I'm doing. Started working out some this week - I've tried a couple different workouts from online. I'm discovering I need quiet indoor workouts since I live on an upper floor apartment. Jumping jacks are not fun for my neighbors. It makes cardio a real challenge.

Tiny Tiger: Welcome to the new challenge! And congrats on your win from the Christmas one!

Rie: Good luck with your CC! Hopefully it works well for you at this stage!
    It is distracting! I ended up hating mountains at the end of it (I always got lost/stuck!).

Sinderhella: I'm not sure about WW points. Maybe use your hunger as a guide? If you're hungry, use more/all of your points, and if you're not, leave them for later or don't use them?

Makebelieve: Those are good ones! Mmm, makes me hungry...
    For snacks, I often reach for fruit. It fills me up, it's sweet, and easy to travel with. It's almost always fruit (at least right now).
    Good work with your eating and the walk!

Dayoneagain: Yep, if you're not careful it's easy to get lots of extra calories. That's why I count it all - even lettuce (just to not hit that slippery slope of "Oh, I don't need to count this cookie").
  • Haha, Penny, agreed! I'm glad I'm not the only one counting every spinach leaf If you live in a block of flats, do you have access to the stairs? I had the same problem in our last place and found that walking/jogging up 13 floors soon got me sweaty! Hard to find stairs motivating, but I could usually convince myself to do 30 mins once or twice a week.

Thanks anity, thankfully today my arm is almost feeling normal, so I no longer need to worry too much about going overboard. No excuses for Body Attack tomorrow now!

Feeling exhausted after three days back at work post hols, but seeing the number on the scale move a teeny bit each day is keeping me content and motivated. I used to get thrown off track if I weighed more than every Monday morning, but weighing daily has been much better for me over the last few months. I think as I've got a bit older I am better at dealing with the scale fluctuations and don't get disheartened as easily.
  • Ah damn it! I thought it was july 3rd, not march 7th I think my goal weight might be a bit hard to reach...
  • Quote: Sinderhella:
    Your data is on the spreadsheet now. Good luck with the challenge!

Munchey
    Munchey! Would you mind chinging my goal to 163? If it's alot of work, no worries! I'll change it when I can access the speadsheet instead.
    Thank you!
  • Quote: Munchey! Would you mind chinging my goal to 163? If it's alot of work, no worries! I'll change it when I can access the speadsheet instead.
    Thank you!
    Photosphere:
    No problem. I changed your goal wt. to 163.
    Munchey
  • Quote: Photosphere:
    No problem. I changed your goal wt. to 163.
    Munchey
    Thank you, Munchey!
  • A couple of days late but I'm in! Riestrella I'll PM you for the spreadsheet link shortly. A little intro: I'm not new to 3FC but I think this is the first challenge I'll be joining. Actually, I haven't been on this forum for more than 2 years now... was active for only a very short period of time then I fell off the wagon My current weight is 128 lbs and my goal is to be at 110 lbs by the end of this challenge. So ambitious I know... also I don't have any specific plans yet but I don't want to start off too strict like I've done in the past resulting in failure. I did start eating healthier since Monday and will tweak my plan accordingly as the challenge progresses.
  • I am loving this cold we have here. It's still only in the 30s and will get colder again.

You know, I always used to wish I was the kind of person to get cold easy - I used to be sweltering all the time. I got my wish. Actually, I'll take the coldness any day when it comes with weight loss.

dayoneagain: There are stairs, but they're not good stairs (they're outside, so they get very icy/slippery in the winter).
    I weigh daily too - it helps my sanity. I find it helps me understand my body's patterns better, too. It takes some of the scary mystery out of weight loss.

chunkie89: Welcome to the challenge!
  • Hey guys!

Omg, I did a boxing class yesterday, it was an old school gym with veteran professional boxers, it was a killer workout! I still can't type very well with my left hand, it's still shaking. I honestly almost passed out at one point, got the cold sweat and everything, I kept going because I didn't feel dizzy and I focused on my breathing, but it sucked! The instructor was really friendly, he was really impressed with my speed and balance, he said to me "if you get in shape, you could be a great athlete" so that was a nice ego boost! But yes, definitely need to get in shape. I think I'll give it a few more tries, but it was a 1.5 hour workout and definitely the hardest one by far.

I went to a barre class today because I'm stupid and I tweaked my knee a little bit. I was going to do a boot camp class tomorrow but I cancelled it because I'm going to New York this weekend and don't want to be limping around.

Calorie counting has been going well so far, I've been honest with myself and counted everything the best I could. The sushi dinner put me waaay over, by about 750 calories, I just can't control myself around that much sushi . But yesterday was much better, I was under my calories and today I'm going to do my best as well.

--------------------------

makebelieve - Mmm, hummus, it's the best. There's lots of great local brands here too. My favourite snacks are either bananas, carrots + hummus, nuts, popcorn or edamame! I really should eat more edamame.

dayoneagain - It is surprising and I find it makes you become more aware of everything you eat. I tend to think "is it worth it?" and plan my day around it. It's always been difficult for me to keep it up, but I hope I can stick with it this time until I have the freedom to cook for myself all the time and go on a detox! Definitely give your body a rest when it's been overworked!

Tiny Tiger - Probably because of your big move! Congrats on not gaining though, that's awesome. What great motivation for you You can do it!

Sinderhella - I didn't receive your PM, did you type my username or click on my profile to send it? You're the second person to say that they've PMed me and I didn't get it. I have a feeling it might be a username typo problem. If WW is anything like calorie counting, then I'd say just listen to your body and eat accordingly. If you have points left in the day but don't feel hungry, then don't eat.

anity - Wow, good memory! I was in Japan for 2 years then I moved back to England and now I'm living in America . I loved Japan, but didn't love being an English teacher so that's why we left. We want to go back someday but only if we can do a job we love, which is unlikely but we can dream! I unfortunately gained back 16 lbs after moving to Japan, still to this day I'm trying to get rid of it. It's tough but I'm hoping this year I can do it.

Penny - As you've mentioned, your weight will stall periodically and that's normal. Well done on working out! That's tough that you can't do cardio. I used to do Insanity in my tiny Japanese apartment, my neighbours must have HATED me, but I did it anyway haha. I'm a jerk like that. Oh man, I've actually given the game to the BF to hide from me. I just wasn't getting any work done! I have a very obsessive personality, as soon as my mind focuses on something I don't stop, so unfortunately Dragon Age was the focus of my obsession and it was not good! I came home today and wanted to play it but then remembered it's hidden away Where do you live, btw?

chunkie - Welcome, welcome!
  • Hi guys! Thanks for the welcome back. This week is going ok, definitely over on my calories every day, though today I might be under. It's the first day I was able to get to the gym so that definitely helps with the numbers.

Sinderhella- I think that if you don't feel crazy hungry or deprived being under your points it's probably ok. But I don't know the official WW rules

Anity- Congrats on the home cooked meals, that's impressive!

Penny- Congrats on YOUR win at Christmas! That's one of my favorite things about my new house, no downstairs neighbors, I can do all the jumping jacks I want. Not that I'm doing any lol.

Dayone- Weighing daily is super helpful for me too. Good luck getting back into the swing of work!

Ries- Yes I do think the move has helped, I went a long time without grocery shopping lol. The other thing that's nice about my new place is it's kind of in a food desert where my old place was right around the corner from 2 grocery stores, so there were a lot of late night runs to get snacks when I randomly was hungry.... no more! Why was the barre class stupid? Sorry bout your knee :/

Chunkie- Welcome! We are pretty similar weights!