Teachers struggling to lose weight

You're on Page 4 of 8
Go to
  • Tuesday
    Happy Tuesday everyone! How is your week going? So far so good here. We had a birthday on our team today and I had 1/2 slice of cheesecake. It was good but not worth the 4 points I counted for it. Cheesecake is the one dessert I can actually take it or leave it, I only ate it today to be polite with the group. Summer I try to keep Archer Vally fruit snacks here and at work, one pouch is one point. Only those and Welches brand fruit snacks are one point each, the rest are 2 points. One pouch usually satisfies me if I just want something sweet, or a couple of mini meringues, 13 for one point, but even I can't eat that many at once! I also keep string cheese and low point ham, like Hillshire Farms, for two points I can have one cheese and 6 slices of ham, filling and the protein takes the edge of "real" hunger for alot longer than just about anything else for me. I've tried soup, a piece of fruit, some carrots or celery, they just don't leave me feeling like I've eaten anything. Lately when I come home I'll grab some ham, a string cheese and a water bottle and get on my exercise bike.
    I think I just got bumped, gonna try to post this, have a great day, all!
    storylady
  • Hello all! Robyn, thanks for letting us know you are still around. Story, thanks for the suggestion of protein. You reminded me of a snack that used to work for me, lite cheese and lite pepperoni or ham. I do recall that protein sticks with me longer than other snacks.

School is okay, but I have a new student who is very violent. I hate that so much. Every year I have taught (3 years) I've had to deal with a couple of violent children. It is such a drag. Oh well.

Tomorrow, I may not be around. My daughter's "Back to School Night" is Wednesday night.

I've got to get dinner together (fish).

Take care everyone. I hope your week is going well.

Summer
  • ...not enough consumable math textbooks....mothers changing bus babysitters without telling us.....first graders who need MUCH adult intervention and guidance regarding how to interact with others....admin asking us on our 6th day of school why we weren't EXACTLY on the schedule we had turned in...arghhh!

Oh and ...my very dear 2nd grade teacher friend's house was struck by lightening and burned the other night
    (she saved her book bag but little to nothing else....No one was hurt!)......my own 2 sons having "transition" issues with their new teachers/placements (oldest just began middle school...he has an IEP due to a birth defect that THEY think they are going to ignore! HA!)..my exercise schedule NOT fitting in with the work demands.....I have NOOOO time to do anything other than school and stuff for my family...(GAWWWD, I sound so horrid!) ..........tonight my eating was OUT of control. I ate JUNK...and am starving...but it is too late and I have eaten soooooo much soooooo....arghhh!

Tomorrow is a new day. Tomorrow is a new day! Tomorrow IS a new day!

Thanks for listening to this rant...I *DO* feel better! LOL
    Robyn
  • me again
    Robyn, I just had to pop in and leave you a hug !
    So sorry it's hard for you right now. I know that when you are struggling just to get your own family going on an even keel, the very last thing on your priority list is taking care of yourself. My son (7th grade) has health issues too, and I'm constantly in contact with his teachers, councelors, principal. It's funny, when he was younger and I was a full time volunteer mom, I hardly ever spoke up unless it seemed really serious, and would never ever have used my influence (if you could call it that) to get him special treatment. Now that I work for the school district, I don't hesitate to call or e-mail them and I find I can toe a pretty hard line when it comes to him. I guess I just feel like at his age they have so much to deal with already, having special issues like a health situation is just not fair. If I can pave the way for him at all, keep them from yanking him around, I do.

I feel pretty good about my eating, still not sure about Flexpoints. I'm terribly afraid I would gain eating all those points, but it sure would be nice to be able to lose and them maintain on more than 18 a day. I'm still thinking it over.

I hope the kids settle in calm down for you soon. Like I said we are in our 3rd week so it's pretty much routine now. There is still the occasional cryer in Pre-K and Friday there was a nasty fight in 5th grade but over all the kids are rolling along pretty well. Tomorrow is HumpDay, Yippee!! I'm sending you all better, brighter days and smiling happy thoughts.
    storylady
  • Hi Story and Robyn! Sorry I haven't been around, but this week was soooooooo overwhelmingly busy!!!!!

Robyn I'm sending you hugs as well. You could really use one right now!

My week was mixed with stress, bullshit, and blessings. To add to the drama, my allergies are really bad (ragweed I think) and in addition to taking Clarinex, I have been having asthma attacks, the last one in the middle of last night. I woke up having one. Let me tell you. That scared the crap out of me. That has never happened before. I had to run downstairs, turn off the burglar alarm, and find my inhaler. Normally, my asthma is under control, but right now, it isn't.

On Wednesday, we had my daughter's "Back to School Night." It was WONDERFUL. She has such a fabulous teacher, and the school is beautiful. It makes my pitiful inner city school look awful.

On Thursday, my nephew, who is visiting from Colorado, came over for dinner. It was great. He is my daughter's Godfather, and because he moved away two years ago, she hardly knows him. So this was special.

On Friday, I got a new student who is medically fragile (heart condition awaiting open heart surgery) and cannot be upset or allowed to cry. Well, all she did was cry. To top it off, she comes from a home with domestic violence, and she is a freakin' basket case. On Tuesday, we will have an emergency PPT to get her placed in a school with a clinic.

Other stressful stuff at school has been taking its toll, but I won't bore you with it.

The best part of my day, week, month, year, was that I found out I achieved national accreditation with NAEYC. This is a BIG DEAL. I have been working very hard on this, and it came through. Now I have job security like you wouldn't believe!

Thank you God!!!!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!!!!

Summer
  • AHH, the weekend, a teachers best friend!
    Summer, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ACCREDITATION!!
    That is so great for you. I hope knowing you have it relieves some of the stress for you.

I had a so-so week. I was out of my regular place yesterday, doing other things but still busy busy busy and I came home so tired and frazzled I had a food meltdown and lost my mind. Suffice it to say I reminded myself all too vividly why I don't eat like that anymore and how crappy I feel when I do. Back on track to day and hoping I didn't do too much damage. No loss today, didn't really expect there would be. I only see a loss about every 2 or 3 weeks this time around. I'll take it, as long as it keeps going down eventually!

Such a beautiful day, so clear and not-humid muggy awful for a change. I hope everyone is having a restful weekend. I guess I should go find a way to burn off some of the calories I took in yesterday, maybe a long walk in the park.
    storylady
  • We visited the in-laws today. Eating healthy is virtually impossible. We played Dominoes and Uno to pass the time. I won Dominoes, and my 5 year old girl won Uno! It is a rainy day and is supposed to be a rainy weekend. The upcoming week looks pretty bad with the threat of Hurricane Isabel possibly heading up the Eastern coastline.

I have a lot of school work to do, but I am still flying high about my accreditation news. Most people have no idea what it is about, especially those not in education. I called the people in my life who really understood the magnitude of this award as well as how difficult it was to achieve. I didn't even bother telling my in laws since it would take too long to explain. I wish my parents were still alive to share these things with.

Tomorrow there will be a ceremony for all of the Sunday school teachers at church. So, I have to find something to wear that doesn't look too bad. It is times like these that I wish I did better on my diet.

I hope that now that the stress of accreditation is behind me, I can focus more on myself and my health. I really want to lose weight, look better, and be healthier. Maybe on Monday, I will try to get up a half hour earlier to do an aerobics tape. If I get it overwith early in the day, I will be more likely to follow through with it and also stick to my diet better. By 4:00pm, I am full of excuses to try again another time.

Summer
  • Hi ya'll!

Thanks for the hugs and support! I think I was losing my mind last week! (More on that later!)

Congratulations, Summer! Yahooo! We all know what an accomplishment your accreditation is! You should be SOOO proud of your hard work!

StoryLady, I think it was you that mentioned Flexpoints....my mother purchased a new WW AtHome kit for me...and I've not been able to even sit down and look at it close enough to figure it out! She was so sweet to buy it and doesn't "get" why I am not knee deep into the new system after 2 weeks of owning it!
    ...and I don't have to tell you...BUT... Tomorrow is another day!
    Forget the meltdown...and go forward!

Things here (on Saturday!) are looking a bit better than the other day! LOL I get SOOO bogged down and overwhelmed! I have decided that I *CAN* and *WILL* give myself 45 minutes to an hour to exercise each night! That NOTHING else matters, once dinner is done, of course, UNTIL I spend some time on MEEEE! I have lost 47.5 pounds since January......I have 19 more to get to my goal...and I'm NOT going to stop doing what I've been doing NOW! I know that this sounds selfish..... but please know that I'm not going to ignore my kiddos, their activities, my dh, my school stuff OR the household chores.........I will get it all done! BUT, I've had 2 weeks of ignoring me. And it was NOT pleasant! And I have been totally unhappy about it! Soooo.....

I've made myself a new calendar......
    * a blue star for days I get all my water in.
    * a green star for days I stay OP.
    * a silver star for days I make exercising a priority! (I usually exercise 3 days on/1 off/4 days on/1 off ...keeps my metabolism wondering what I'm up to!)

I will give myself a gold star for weeks that I earn all the other stars(that are supposed to be earned!)! LOL (there were 4 different colored stars in the pack I purchased....so I have to use them all!

For the next 6 weeks, 6 gold stars is my goal! ...and I'm still trying to decide what my reward will be.... 6 weeks from yesterday is October 25th! Any one needing a challenge to get them back "back in the saddle"? Want to join me?

Oh and just to let you know! I *feel* for you re: the violent children and the sick child who isn't to cry...who spent the day in tears..... In my 17 years in the classroom, I've had both "kinds"....... Last year I had both a bipolar child (who had every symptom of bipolar disorder AND a diagnosis from not 2 but 3 doctors) but whose parents refused treatment of any kind AND the child with a seizure disorder who was taken off all meds by his doctor for 3 weeks.... In those 3 weeks, he had 12 seizures at school (albeit mild...but still ended up on the floor...) Parents were wonderful....BUT still their kid was under the cafe. table having a seizure... Anyway....you gals and your kiddos are in my thoughts! Hang in there!

Take care,
    Robyn (in coastal Virginia...watching the weather reports very closely!)
  • Sunny Sunday
    Good morning Teachers! Robyn, I applaud you for getting back to taking time for you! I can so relate. It's one of the hardest things to do isn't it? To take that time, make the effort to make yourself top priority even for a little while each day. When my kids were little I used them as an excuse, such a devoted mommy was I! Overweight, unhealthy and unhappy, but devoted! It is easier now that they are old enough not only to be left alone for awhile, but they can actually help me pick up the slack of my going to work out or whatever. And they are so proud of me--again! This is my 3rd time around the WW bend. First time down 50 lbs, 8 years later made it to goal, this time I caught myself before I regained all the weight and have lost about 1/2 of what I need to. I really only got serious about the 2nd week of June. Except for a couple of days like Friday when I went insane for a few hours I've been OP for the longest stretch of time in over a year. I've only tried FlexPoints this past week, and no loss as of yet so it's too soon to tell if it will work for me. In theory it sounds wonderful, but I know myself well enough to know I can't be trusted to use 35 extra points a week wisely and make healthy choices. If I see a gain this week I'm back on my 123 plan, the one that got me to goal before.

I live in Southeast Texas so we too have been keeping an eye on Isabel. We're all praying it will just drift quietly out to the north Atlantic and everyone will be spared having to deal with such a tremendous storm.

Diva, Summer and all other teachers, enjoy your Sunday and have a great week!
    storylady
  • Storylady,

Thank you! Wanted to mention the worlds best brownies to you for those INSANE days! Have you tried NoPudge brownies? You make them with FatFree plain yogurt. Each brownie (and they ARE even big enough to see and taste!) is 2 points! AND best of all they don't taste like "diet" food! My family eats them without looking like I'm feeding them poison....I "use" them during my mild insane moments! The ones that I NEEEEED chocolate. BUT, just so you know......Every now and again....my old emotional reactions just HAPPEN....and I too INSANELY EAT my kitchen! It doesn't make whatever has me stressed out go away...and I usually feel horrid about it....BUT, I brush myself off and go forward as soon as the sun rises! (I'm NOT bragging about losing control...I'm telling you that we all have moments!)

I am also using 123. Have you ever heard of the Wendy Plan? It isn't an official WW plan...but it makes sooo much sense AND it has helped me maintain my metabolism and it got me out of a 4 (count them 4) week plateau this summer! It is VERY similar to what FlexPoints has just come out with! (or so I think...I've not gotten too deep into the new FlexPoints stuff, time time time! ok..and I'm scared of those 35 points too!)

Southeast Texas...YIKES! We both know what hurricanes can do, don't we?! Lets watch the weather together and hang on! Our favorite place to vacation is HatterasIsland, NC (oh yeah, my nick!) on the Outer Banks of NC......and another spot that just doesn't WANT or NEED any crazy weather!

I got all my stars for yesterday! Grocery shopping today...must go make my plan for both my family and MEEEE....before I go!
    Enjoy Sunday!

Oh, and Diva, poor thing, developed a kidney infection the first week of school.....keep her in your thoughts....she is also in Grad School.....nothing like a "good" infection to start out the school year! Poor gal! She is over her head for a while....but she will be back! (She says the only good thing about being sick is not having an appetite! Gotta find the silver lining, you know!)

take care,
    Robyn
  • Greetings Story, Robyn, & Diva!!!

I'm not using flexpoints. I don't dare! I've never even used the points booster (activity points) to give myself more food. I try to stay at the low end of my points range. Unfortunately, I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person.

I plan to set my alarm 30 minutes earlier tomorrow morning in order to get some aerobics in before school.

Robyn, I love your reward system. I can't use something like that. I would rebel against it and give myself the reward whether I earned it or not. I can't be trusted! Thanks for empathizing with my situation. On Tuesday, we have a team meeting to discuss placing the medically fragile child in a school that has a clinic, or at least a full-time nurse. We only have a nurse two days a week! I LOVE NO-PUDGE BROWNIES!!!!! I make mine with Stonyfield Farm chocolate yogurt. If I really want to jazz them up, I add semi-sweet chocolate chips. I discovered them when I was on a fat-free diet following gallbladder surgery.

I am becoming interested in Dr. Phil's new plan...reason being that I have so many psychological issues tied in with my weight problem. I was raised being a member of the "clean plate club." We couldn't leave the table until our plate was clean. I would sit at the table sometimes until 8:30 at night forcing down my dinner. To this day, I feel very guilty when I don't finish my dinner. I have a rebellious streak about food. I was never a rebellious child. I like to be in control. I don't want anyone telling me what or how much I can eat. I was the perfect child of an alcoholic. I use food to rebel...to do what I want. I also have issues about feeling safe. I don't feel as safe when I am thin. I don't like the way men react to my body. I had a family member who sexually harrassed me from age 13 on, and I was a victim of an attempted rape at the age of 17. I began to slowly gain weight soon after. I love food. I love to celebrate with food. I love to comfort myself with food. I know there is more messed up stuff, but I just can't think of it right now. So, I ordered Dr. Phil's new book from my book club. I don't have time to watch his show, but maybe the book with help me.

Robyn, be safe in Virginia. Story, be safe in Texas. Diva, feel better and take care of yourself.

Have a wonderful week in school!!!

Summer
  • Well, today was pretty good for me. I couldn't drag myself out of bed early to exercise, but I did make up for it by going to the gym after school. I rode the recumbent bike for 20 minutes and did weights. Because I haven't been to the gym since the beginning of the summer, I didn't want to overdo it. As it is, I expect to be sore tomorrow. But that is okay, it will be a reminder that I was a good girl today. My eating was mostly good. I've yet to find the magic snack for after school. I know protein is good, but I need to have something ready, like a hard boiled egg.

As time goes on, I can't wait for the Dr. Phil book. I could really use the actual Dr. Phil to kick me in the butt every day!

At school today, I got a mixed reaction to my accreditation. Some people were elated. Others didn't speak of it and acted jealous. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter where you work, there will always be competition. I don't compare myself to the other teachers. I just want to be successful and have an impact on my students' lives.

I hope all of you are doing well.

Summer
  • Summer,
    GOOD for you for getting to that gym! Today found me at the middle school...my oldest is in 6th grade....to discuss his IEP yet AGAIN with his middle school team WHO just can't seem to get it right. I have just sat down with my Language Arts tests that must be graded before I return to school tomorrow....what they do on part a determines their starting point on B for tomorrow...arghh! Soooo much for getting my stars for today! BUT, tomorrow! Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

I'd be terrified of facing the real Dr.Phil! LOL I'm not too sure that he would "get" me sitting here grading tests instead of being on the treadmill....the other night I had a *HARD* time when he suggested to the chef/baker that he should change jobs.....RIGHHHHTTTTTTT!

My new peeve...actually just my latest peeve! ....I was looking in my new issue of Shape yesterday...I am nearly certain that it is the OLD issue now...anyway...I'm sooo put off with all the "stuff" these magazines advertise these great things for $$$$. Why do they show someone running in a jacket that costs $140? I mean, come on...am I the *ONLY* one who just can't put that into a jacket for exercise??? Heck, I don't put that into my finest winter coat! Geesh! WHY is it like this? And am I the only one who doesn't want to sweat on a $140 jacket? and $140??? It is gonna have to "do" more than the usual jacket....

I'm back to my tests! Ya'll take care.....the neighbor's boarded up their sunporch today...We've got food and water and batteries and radios...and I'm getting a bit scared! Kids are acting very odd! (both at school and at home!)

take care,
    Robyn
  • Tuesday
    Robyn, it's looking very scary over that way, I'm keeping you guys in my prayers. I'm sure the kids are nervous too, kinda knowing, but not really knowing, ya know? And you're right about tomorrow, "fiddle-dee-dee"! Have you had a chance to look over the Flexpoint plan yet? I'm kind of on the fence. I find myself stopping at my target points, then saying okay I'll eat my AP's, maybe a FP or two, then I think, why? Why not just do the 123 plan that I know works? I wish they'd never gone to Winning Points, that program was the beginning of my downfall. And I often think I'm not really eating enough points, but I don't trust myself to eat more, and eat the right things.

Summer I never knew such a competitive bunch of people til I started teaching! It's kind of funny sometimes. The PTA fed us (them) today, but since I had work I had to finish at lunchtime anyway I ate my sandwich and grapes and it wasn't a problem to resist. Whew! I've been getting up at 5 to ride my bike and have a few minutes of alone time before I wake the troops. The only problem I'm running into is getting hungry before I'm ready to eat breakfast. It's too early in the day to be strong, or be expected to make good choices! I've done okay, but I definitely need to work on breakfast options.

Diva I hope you're feeling better. Happy Tuesday everyone, tomorrow--Humpday!
    storylady
  • School is out for today and tomorrow....everyone is boarding up and / or moving out.....it is getting scary....glad I don't have to be
    at work and worrying about the kiddos AND worrying about our home and our children.....So much for our snow days tho.....

will check in when I can..........
    ya'll take care!

Robyn