~*Delicious for Christmas 2015 Challenge!*~

You're on Page 3 of 12
Go to
  • Ries - It may be the cold but I think also the elevation and a few other things. I plan to talk to a doctor when my insurance kicks in on Dec. 1 and in the meantime I'll try taking my rescue inhaler before activity.

Tiny Tiger - No I'm not from Denver lol Not many people are! Just moved here in July from the east coast.

Yesterday was a bit rough emotionally and I definitely ate my emotions. Probably not as much as I used to do and it was definitely the first time in a while but I am feeling back on track today. My schedule hasn't been meshing with biking to work this week so I've gotta try to fit some other workouts in. Unfortunately I think it is supposed to rain for the next couple days though!
  • Quote: zumbalover - Welcome!! Good luck with the challenge! Wow, you're a Zumba instructor?! How fun! You must be really in shape, Zumba is so crazy!

Yes! I've been going to Zumba classes for 5 1/2 years and in April I became licensed. And instructors come in all shapes and sizes lol. I'm actually a size 14, so I guess average. I was almost back to my size 12 but idk what happened, I gained weight super fast.
  • Hey guys!

I'm feeling much better today. A slight gain on the scale down to eating Thai food no doubt, but nothing I can't undo with a solid day of focus and hard work. I've got a lot of tidying to do today and I intend to go on a run as well. It's such a lovely day with a bright blue sky! Love this type of weather. I was looking into some more compression running tights to keep me warm on my runs, they're so expensive! I already have a pair my BF bought for me a couple of years ago, so I'll just stick with those for now! I'll see about getting some long sleeved tops though.

---------------------

Tiny - Thanks!! I'll hear back on Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed! I feel like I'm getting my hopes up a bit since they were so nice and said really great things about me, but I know from experience not to feel that way. I live in between Boulder and Lyons, technically Longmont but Boulder is closer! Oh wow, huge congrats on 3 lbs down!! Don't you just love the water weight whoosh?!

NNS - I hope you're feeling ok! *big hug* There are some pretty intense home workouts you can blast out for 20 mins if you find it hard to fit a workout in. Something is better than nothing You got this!

zumbalover - Oh yeah, I know about the shapes and sizes thing, I meant more like you must have amazing stamina!
  • Hey guys! I just finished the badges for the challenge, what do you think?

• Beautiful, Ri!
    I have a foster dog I am taking to her new adopter's house tonight. I will miss the little stinker but I am so excited for her that she is getting adopted, and I am happy for my routine to get back to normal. Until the next foster comes along, I suppose!
  • NNS Oh man, exercise-induced asthma sucks. Have you had it formally diagnosed? I was always suspicious that I have it, however have never had it actually checked out. Well done on the good start so far, and sorry to hear about the bad day emotions-wise. Hope you're feeling a bit better!

leopardspots Thanks for the well wishes. You have great self-control! I don't think I could stop at just one Reese's cup, unless there were just the one available to me. Ugh. Yeah, the flight from NZ is 13 or so hours I believe - but I'm really looking forward to them getting here, and Disneyland of course as well!

Rie I've been feeling like not wanting to see/speak to anyone for a few days - it's kind of been a blessing in disguise being sick, as I had Monday and part of Tuesday off work and just holed up on the couch. I really need to be better with water! I was doing so well, until I got sick, which is ridiculous! Your Thai food sounds delicious. I've been craving noodles for such a long time. Actually, I always do, so I don't know if you can call that a craving anymore hah. I like the badges!!

Tiny Tiger Yup, I'm actually feeling the constipated side effect today, maybe after the illness, but who knows. It's annoying! Sounds like you're doing really well, congrats on the loss!

~~~
    So I don't know what happened, because I have been sick I didn't think I'd see a gain, but I'm up a whole 2 pounds somehow. It's ok. I'm not too worried. I am worried about the amount of sodium I've consumed though, and I guess that plus my lack of water maybe contributed to the small gain.

So as well as the stomach bug, I've just been feeling generally down. There is some stuff going on at work that's making me uncomfortable (just in terms of maybe losing some of my workload, which I'm not happy about), and the background health problems which are always preying on my mind. I need to actively work on being POSITIVE and making the most of things, but I think it's just that sometimes I'm not the most positive person!

It's another week where I take it easy on the exercise front, and just focus on eating better. We have a friend visiting from NZ this weekend on her way to Germany, so hopefully that doesn't de-rail me too much. My boyfriend's grandfather just died as well, so it looks like he'll be going to upstate NY for a few days. I'm just going to try to keep as busy as I can I guess, and do little things to cheer myself up.

Has anyone tried the whole colouring "craze" that's been going around? I was skeptical at first, but I got a couple colouring books and some pencils for my birthday, and while I haven't made the time to do a whole lot, when I have - it's actually so INCREDIBLY relaxing when you get into that zone.
  • Quick post to vent: more escapades of the BF's Mum and her cooking...we had salmon, potato and broccoli tonight. Only the broccoli was microwaved and was covered in butter...why does butter have to go in everything with her?!
  • Ri That is rough! Any ideas how long you will be living with them?

I have been having Burning Mouth Syndrome (which is totally ridiculous) and the only thing that makes it not hurt is to eat stuff! So last night I ate a bunch because I was so irritated by my mouth. So I was up a pound. I am trying to keep it more under control today, as I am less irritated so the need for something to soothe my mouth is less. Criminey!
  • Hey guys!

So the BF's mum is out of town for 4 days since she's showing one of the dogs at a dog show. We all think dog shows are stupid, but she still goes to them. We're hoping this will be her last one! But it's given me a great chance to plan the meals for the next four days and be healthy! Which has shown already, I'm down to 163 lbs today!! Woohoo!!

Last night we had bell peppers stuffed with couscous and some potatoes. It was ok, a bit flavorless so I might have to try and spice it up a bit next time. Tonight I'm making grilled cajun chicken and vegetable skewers. Tomorrow we're going to get pizza as a treat then Sunday I'm making a coconut curry stir fry! Yum yum.

I'm supposed to hear back about the job at some point today, I'm trying not to get my hopes up! They said they were really impressed by me but you never know, someone else might have walked in and impressed them more. Fingers crossed!

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with the guy I edited the compost film for, he's met someone who's in need of a film editor so I might be in luck and have some editing work lined up! I'm going to start asking to be paid since I can't keep doing it for free forever. I really hope it leads to something.

--------------------------

rainbow - Your gain is no doubt down to sodium + lack of water. Flush yourself with water and I'm sure you'll see a drop! I'm sorry you're feeling down, you're right, you do just have to try and look on the positive side. Sometimes it's about really opening your eyes to the world around you, rather than the world inside your head. I like to make lists of things I want to see and do and achieve them, it's great to have something to look forward to. Your family trip is one of them I'm sure! But even just the little things, like watching a film or eating at a new place you've been meaning to try. Life only gets better when you make it better, which is all down to you. You can do it! I've heard of these adult colouring books, I've yet to try one but maybe I'll give it a go!

HDWD - Probably until March 2016, so not too long. The BF is quitting his job in January, we have a savings goal we want to reach before we move to cover the costs of a new place, a new car and surviving without a job for a while when we move. We're quite close to our goal, I think we'll start looking into the move in a serious way in the new year. Woah I've never heard of that!! That's so bizarre, what causes it?
  • So far doing really well with the weight loss efforts! I've eaten at my BMR or less the last four days and so far the food part hasn't been too hard which is always nice. I know it won't last but I want to try to incorporate treat meals like a slice of pizza or small bowl of mac n' cheese once a week to try to keep me from being too all or nothing. I'm trying to eat 100-200 calories of each meal for vegetables/seasoning for them and then leaving the rest for other foods I like more and that's been working out really well. Also trying to get a good amount of variety in my meals and that's been working well. On Tuesday I went for a long walk/run, Wednesday I did some walking and dancing, Thursday I did strength training and running for an hour and today I did a half hour HIIT run and some walking. I've been at 146.5 the last couple days and hoping that'll go down in the next week. It's been helpful to read everyone's posts, good luck to everyone and stay strong
  • Hey everyone!

Yesterday was a bit of a bad day...just had chips + salsa when I could've had carrots + hummus, also had a few handfuls of homemade popcorn and some candy. We were watching Die Hard and watching TV always makes me snacky. I was up to 164.2 lbs this morning, which is not surprising in the least!! But I'm glad it was just a slight gain into the 164's and not up to 165 +. Gonna try my best to be good today, gonna drink loads of water and have little, healthy snacks throughout the day.

I'm currently at work with the BF doing some more contracting work for him. Unfortunately I'm in an office with a fully stocked fridge and loads of candy laying about - must resist! Tonight we're getting pizza from this amazing place...what am I going to do today? NOT fast for it!! I'll eat just like normal so I'm not a pizza eating monstrosity come dinner time.

Last night I made a delicious dinner, we had Cajun grilled chicken wings and vegetable kabobs - they were so good! It felt like a nice light meal. No butter in sight!! The plate was literally half chicken, half vegetables. As a bit of a veggie-phobe I'm really impressed with myself!

Have a great weekend everyone! What are you up to?

-----------------------------

Zucena - Oh, totally have a cheat meal once a week! I know someone who tries her best to eat vegan 90% of the time (just because of the health benefits) then every Sunday she'll get a big greasy burger with fries. It helps keep her sane! I knew someone who used to have cheat DAYS and I never understood that, because you can undo a lot of good work with a day of eating off plan. That's a great idea about the 100-200 calorie meals, it's highly encouraged to eat small meals throughout the day. Whatever works for you - just stick with it until it stops working!! Personally I know I couldn't do the fasting plan, but it works great for some people so it's all about finding out what works for you as an individual. Remember, if you don't see a drop, it's because of all the exercise you've been doing. I find when I start working out a lot my weight will stall for a week or 2 before I start seeing a drop. Stick with your plan for a month and I'm sure you'll see fantastic results, in my opinion you're doing everything right!
  • Hello everyone! I have joined the challenge late. I really enjoyed the Halloween one and although I didn't meet my target I did manage to loose (and keep off!) some weight!

I'm not sure what my plans are for Christmas but I am feeling like a quiet one with lots of long walks and cosy nights in. Any ideas for workouts when it's so cold outside? Swimming is not looking so appealing at the moment.
  • HDWD I have never heard of Burning Mouth Syndrome! You learn all kinds of things on this forum. Sounds incredibly frustrating though.

Rie Ack, I hate being at the mercy of other people's cooking, but I haven't been for a few years so that's a good thing. Nice that you get a few days to cook/eat things of your choice! Your chicken/vege meal sounds good, so does your PIZZA. I was having such a craving for pizza, but I didn't really want to order a whole one, so I actually ended up having this chicken pizziola melt from Subway. I'm not a huge Subway fan, but every now and then I'll go for it, and this one actually tastes like pizza (to me, anyway haha).

Zucena Sounds like you're doing well so far! I am a big proponent of having one meal each week that may not *quite* be within my calories or my plan, otherwise I feel like I'm depriving myself too much, and then I know I'm bound to go overboard at some point. Mac n cheese is one of my favourites.

Nanu Christmas and cosy nights in are the best combination. As for cold weather activities, I find doing some Youtube video workouts are pretty good, if you have the space to do so at home. I was actually thinking about getting back into swimming, because our local pool has a really nice hot tub which is a lovely treat after a half hour or so of swimming!

~This week has not been the best with the illness earlier in the week and just the work stress and general low mood, but I picked myself up a bit the past couple of days and yesterday saw the world's tiniest loss on the scale. Literally 100 grams (.2 of a pound haha)! I'm taking it anyway, anything that isn't a gain is fine by me.

I'm at work today, Saturday, all on my lonesome. It's part of my contract to be here some Saturdays when we have workshops running, and I'm on-call in case anything goes wrong. I'm on call again tomorrow, but at least I can stay home. I have to figure out what to have for lunch, because I am terrible and haven't done a proper grocery shop in over a week.

I have a friend from NZ here who is meeting me after work, and we'll probably go out for dinner, but I know she's also very health conscious, so we can probably pick something mutually agreeable and not too unhealthy.

My BFs granddad died this past week, so he's going to upstate NY tonight for 4 nights. I'm kind of sad because I had some time booked off work early next week to tack onto a statutory holiday (Remembrance Day on Wednesday) and now he won't be around. He's also not here all of next weekend. Ugh. I'm thinking I'll cancel the extra day off I'd planned and save it for a couple of weeks from now. I'm hosting book club on the 20th and it would be nice to have the day off beforehand to tidy up a bit and make some snacks!

Anyone have any fun weekend plans?
  • nonameslob- Well welcome! I moved here about 3 1/2 years ago.

rainbowstripe- sorry about the gain :/ I think an illness like that just messes with your system so much it's har to make sense of the scale. Just focus on recovering and you'll get back on track once you are better!

HaveDog- I have never heard of the burning mouth syndrome, how weird! *going to look it up*

Zucena- Sounds like you are doing awesome, I'm sure you'll see some movement on the scale soon!

Ries- Mmmmm that dinner last night sounds delicious! Enjoy your pizza!

Nanu- Welcome! I love doing classes at the gym when it's cold out, do you have a gym you can join?

This week was pretty decent for me, was down to 131.8 yesterday morning. Then last night I went with a friend to the end of season banquet for his rugby team, which meant lots of Guinness and shephards pie and cheesy pasta... lol all the worst things! I'm not sure what the damage was exactly on the scale because I wasn't at home this morning but I guess we'll see tomorrow (weigh in day!) Trying to be good today in preparation... although I did have a donut for breakfast... oops!
  • Nice to see everyone doing well in the first week.
    I haven't really lost anything this week. I had a few higher-calorie days. Not too high, but like maintenance level. They all seem to involve junk food for breakfast, and Halloween candy. So I'm gonna cut that out!
    Yesterday I saw the Peanuts movie. It was really nice! I don't know if someone would like it if they've never watched or read the series, because there were so many references to the old stuff. But my boyfriend and I grew up watching it, so we both enjoyed it quite a lot. There were mostly adults in the movie theatre, so I'm sure the movie studio is making most of their profit off of nostalgia.