5 calorie juice on phase 1?

• Well, I thought I'd ask here for my friend who was thinking of doing South Beach, but doesn't have an account here.

She is a big fan of the 5 calorie Ocean Spray Diet juices. They are only 5 cals and a mere 2 grams carbs for a full cup. She read the South Beach list and thought they would be allowable under the 75-100 calorie Sweets and Treats list on Phase 1, but a senior member from a facebook South Beach Diet group told her no go. This doesn't seem right. I mean 2 grams of carbs can't have that much juice in it.

Would any of you count this as a Phase 1 sweet treat or avoid it? Both her and I figure if you're allowed fructose as a sweetener, or Agave Syrup (which is controversial anyway) on Phase 1, what the heck is up with the diet juices?

Thanks.
  • Personally I would avoid it. Anything with artificial sweeteners isn't great for you. Not to mention if it is only 5 calories I bet it doesn't have much if any nutritional value. Just my opinion
  • The Original South Beach Diet site does recommend sugar substitutes, so 1 serving daily should be okay and counted as a sweet treat.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/sugar-substitutes
  • o.k. thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.
  • You're welcome. Since South Beach diet allows sugar free fudgesicles, pudding (phase2) and candies that really don't have much nutrients, I couldn't see why your friend couldn't enjoy her juice if she desired.