Artificial Sweetner

• Question on artificial Sweeteners:

Some of the desserts I can have on my diet, require that I add an artificial sweetener to it. Aspertame is off the list for sure, Splenda makes me sick to my stomach.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use?
  • Look for natural "alternative" sweeteners like stevia, erythritol, xylitol or monk fruit. Some people complain that stevia has a bitter taste so test it out before you go dumping a whole bunch of it in a recipe

I personally use erythritol or xylitol.
  • Thank you! I appreciate it very much.
  • I don't mind Stevia. I find the Sweet Leaf brand to be the best tasting - although pricey. I have been drinking diet soda for decades, so I may be used to the aftertaste. I like erythritol or xylitol but too much makes for tummy troubles - at least for me.
  • Quote: I don't mind Stevia. I find the Sweet Leaf brand to be the best tasting - although pricey. I have been drinking diet soda for decades, so I may be used to the aftertaste. I like erythritol or xylitol but too much makes for tummy troubles - at least for me.
    I don't mind it either. I've used Natural Mate (mix of erythritiol and stevia) as well as stevia glycerite.
  • I use stevia. I only find it bitter if I use alot. I don't think it is so much bitter, asit kind of reminds me of licorice.
  • Thank you all! I hate that I have such a hard time with sweeteners and food in general. Last year I realized from talking to Dr I am gluten sensitive. Much of the things supposed to be good for me, I am allergic to, especially fruits and some vegetables.
  • Amatxlatina - I know exactly what you mean! I found out that not only am I allergic to gluten and most grains, but I am also allergic to garlic and Kale... KALE!! who in the world is allergic to a veggie?!?! Oh that would be me ha!

it makes dieting and watching what you eat more challenging when you can't have things that are supposed to be healthy for you. Keep looking, you will find solutions.