ouch!

• i ache all over - ive started running again and i hurt so bad.
    Shoulders, ribs, hips, knees, ankles, butt, back and chest.

Im looking for advice on how to soothe my aches without taking drugs (baths are also out). Ian im kinda looking at you for this as i know you run a LOT!

Anyone giving any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Maybe try heating pad, icy hot, massages?
  • do you think i can self massage? i cant have anyone touching me.
  • Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. I can't remember aching that much but it does get easier as the weight comes down. It is important to have good shoes that cushion you but also provide enough support. That can really help. I also take supplements (fish oil, glucosamine chondroitin) which really helps my joints. The other thing to try might be to try running slower. And to take rest days.

You are aiming for consistency in running before slowing picking up the length and/or speed of your runs. So you need to be in good shape before going out on a run otherwise you cannot be consistent. Especially if you get injured. My rule used to be I would run if I was a little sore but never if I was in pain. Knowing the difference between sore and pain is important. A little sore should start to ease when you start running. Pain hurts and signals that you are just causing damage to yourself. Sore or sometimes even pain at the end of a run is always fine. It's before a run you need to assess things carefully.
  • thanks for the sympathy Ian, its not so bad today and i ran yesterday. Im trying to go every 3 days. I run at 7km/h so its pretty slow and i alternate walking/running if im struggling.
    i run on a treadmill at the gym because i find outside just too hard - i can do 15 minutes at 7km/hour on a treadmill but i cant do lamp post to lamp post outside.

I used to be able to run for half an hour easily at 8km/h but i was sick for a while and got out the habit so im trying to get it back. I love being able to just switch off and not think for a while.

Ill look into the glucosamine, i should take real good care of my joints, my mum and dad have arthritis, my mum had both hips replaced within a year at 58 and my sister has osteo-arthritis at 32 and has to wear ankle supports just to walk about for any length of time. It really worries me i will go down the same route. Btw my sister is tiny (uk size 6-8/US 2-4 i think) so weight isn't an issue for her and my dad is underweight - has been his whole life.

I want to go running tomorrow but im not "due" until Thursday - dunno what to do - surely i should go when i want to but i know i have to rest properly and im still achey.
  • i went today and my muscles feel good! However, i think ive done the arch of my foot and ligaments in my ankle in again........same old feeling i get when it happens.
    Maybe im just not supposed to run??
  • guess i over did it again yesterday cause today i cant move without my body screaming at me.
    It felt good at the time though!
    How will i know when its too much when it feels good at the time?
  • Another thing to think about is how much you stretch after a run. I had a similar problem when I first started running (everything hurt). I would stretch for a short period after running but I always thought the stretch before a run was more important. Boy was I wrong. I probably spend at least 15 minutes after a run stretching and it has made a huge difference.

I also tend to hop into a bath with epsom salt right after a run even if I am not sore at the time and I think this has made a difference. Epsom is great for sore muscles. I know you said baths are not an option but I have heard of body lotions with epsom salt in them so they may be something to try out.

Hope some of this helps
  • I would also second lots of stretching after runs! It is definitely something I didn't do the last time I was regularly running (at age 20!) and now (at age 29) I simply have to or I am in trouble! Also taking time to warm up and cool down are important.
  • I agree with Ian, it sounds like you might need different shoes, especially since your arches and ankles are hurting. And you should look into a running plan, like Couch to 5K, which will push you but not so hard that you hurt yourself.

I also think stretching will help. Google stretches with a roller; you might need to work on your ligaments after a run, and on rest days.