First time using Weight Watchers

• Hi everyone!

I'm using weight watchers for the first time and I have to say, I'm having a decent experience so far. After gaining a TON of weight in my late 20s, I'm trying to lose the weight at 30 years old.

So far I am 3 weeks in and I've lost 8 pounds, despite consistently going over my weekly points (about an average of 20 points each week). I'm encouraged, though not entirely convinced that this weight loss is real weight!! I should be doing body measurements, but haven't so far.

Just curious for the more experience WW crew, do you really average 2 pounds weight loss even after month 1 and beyond???

My Journey:
    W1 - 2.8
    W2 - 2.2
    W3 - 3
  • I'm new on the plan as well, but not new to dieting! About 6 years ago I lost 85 lb on Medifast- gained it all back and more despite trying like crazy to keep it off. then lost 65 lbs using HCG in about a 4 month time span, and again same thing- gained it all back despite carefully following the strict maintenance plan.

I did start and stop Medifast a couple more times over the past few years. Started because I know it worked for me- and stopped because it is very hard to stay on unless you can commit to giving up going out, or to any social events involving food, for many months, and because I was pretty hungry all the time on it, even when I lost the 85 lbs in 9 months.

Anyway- weight watchers. I thought it was just a silly plan that didn't really work. I had done WW way, way back in High School for a month or 2 and didn't lose anything. Of course, I was not following it very well from what I remember and I also didn't really need to lose much weight either.

I decided to try this diet because unlike the Medifast plan, I wanted to eat real food. Going 9 months without a single piece of fruit really stinks! I also felt like I am in a position where I need to lose 100 lbs, and I got there by dieting since I was 16! I must be doing something wrong!

I've been on WW for just under a month now, and have lost 9 lbs so far. Hoping to hit 10 lbs on Monday for my 1 month weigh in.

I don't know if the losses will continue to be 1.5 - 2.5 lbs a week, but I am hoping so because this is as fast as Medifast and I'm not hungry, and I'm not denying myself anything!

With the phone app, this program is amazing. My boyfriend is also doing it, and he has lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks and he looks and feels great.

I didn't see a big jump and then a slow down after week 1 like I have with other more calorie restricted diets, this has been pretty steady every week.

I love it and hope it continues as easily as this because I feel like this is a way of eating I really think I can live with forever. I wish I'd given this a try years ago.
  • Sorry, I should have mentioned that I generally do not use all my points. I don't use the weekly points, and most days I use 1-8 points less than my daily limit. My boyfriend has been doing the same. We both find that we don't need the weekly points, though I'm sure if we have a special occasion we would use them.
    W1 = -2.6
    W2 = -2.4
    W3 = -3
  • I lost weight using traditional meetings. I did not lose 2 pounds a week. Whether you can do that depends a lot on how much weight you have to lose and how active you are. I lost more when I started out. The last little bit was really slow. Also for those of who are short it is even more difficult. Over the course of my weight loss (I'm older, had high body fat, am 5'4" and do sedentary work) I averaged .5 pound a week.

But, everyone is different depending on all those factors. The thing is to keep working at it and be on a downward path.
  • I don't go to the meetings but I follow the plan.

I am actually just starting again. I was on the plan from 8/4/14-3/20/15 and just quit. I had lost almost 60 pounds Then, between 3/20/15 and 10/14/15, I gained 30 pounds..... but I was back to my old habits. I've been back on the diet since 10/14 and I've lost 9.6 pounds. I am watching points and going to the gym. I do use my "cheat points" every week but I do not use the extra points for exercise. I will say watch out not using all of your daily points. I thought I'd be cleaver and do that before and I didn't lose anything! It was about a month in and I was NOT losing. My sister cautioned me about using all my daily points and when I started using them all I started losing again. So, if you stop losing you may need to get more strict with using them all!

Now, I'll give you the breakdown of how I lost my weight.....

Between 08/04/14 and Thanksgiving 2014 I lost from 281.4 to 245. For most of the month of Dec I just kind of bounced around. I think I ended up weighing in on 01/01/15 at 240 pounds. Than between the first of January and the first of Feb I lost down to 225 pounds. I bounced around for 6 weeks losing only a pound and a half. BUT I lost inches. I didn't measure so I can't tell you how much but I can tell you that there was a skirt that I wanted to wear to church one week.....I couldn't even get it buttoned. I thought for sure with my weight loss I could do it....nope. So, I was upset when my weight plateaued. BUT guess what happened. All of a sudden, with the scales standing still, people that didn't know I was on a diet started asking how much weight I had lost. I had lost almost 60 pounds and had been there for 2 weeks with NO ONE noticing, except those who knew I was dieting. Now, when I'm on a plateau people are noticing? Then, I started noticing that I was going down inches in my clothes. So, for kicks and giggles, I tried on the skirt that wouldn't button....it was the Sunday 2 weeks following it not buttoning. I slipped it on without unbuttoning or unzipping it! I wore it but I had to have a belt! I started in a 24/26 and I ended up in a 14/16.
    Still, the scale not moving got to me after 6 weeks and going on a vacation that I didn't worry about points! It felt good to just be able to eat without thinking and, just like that, I let myself go back to old habits! I could kick myself in the butt for it!

So there wasn't a set amount that I lost each week. In fact, there were weeks that I gained. And I lost most of my weight the first 3 months but I had the most dramatic changes when I wasn't losing weight and over the course of about a month.

I think everyone loses differently and there is no real way of knowing how much you will lose each week but if you stick to the plan you will get results! Don't get discouraged like me and give up when you hit a plateau either! I'm saying that to myself as much as you as I am 3 weeks in and I've already hit my first one! I weighed in a 234.8 on Sunday, dropped to 234.4 on Monday, stayed there until this morning when I weighed in at 234.8. UGH!! But this only means that my body is working behind the scenes!

Good luck and I hope all of my rambling made some sense.
  • Quote: I lost weight using traditional meetings. I did not lose 2 pounds a week. Whether you can do that depends a lot on how much weight you have to lose and how active you are. I lost more when I started out. The last little bit was really slow. Also for those of who are short it is even more difficult. Over the course of my weight loss (I'm older, had high body fat, am 5'4" and do sedentary work) I averaged .5 pound a week.

But, everyone is different depending on all those factors. The thing is to keep working at it and be on a downward path.
    I'm in a similar situation, so it's reassuring to see your success. I'm 4'11" and an executive assistant. Depending on the day, I may only get up from my desk for lunch or the RR. Also, due to injuries, the only exercise I can do is walking.
  • If possible try to move around some during the day if only going to the restroom. I know it may not always be possible to do it, but some research is showing that excessive sitting is harmful and just moving around a few minutes every hour can help. I think that walking is a fine exercise. I don't know the type of injuries you have had. I have a bad knee and have found that I can also tolerate a recumbent bike and the elliptical.
  • Hi everyone -

Lily and Juliann it sounds like we are all in the same boat. This is my first time doing WW as well. I had surgery last year which caused me to be immobile almost a year and gain 34 lbs on top of the 20 I had previously gained when I stopped doing South beach. In March, I went back to Sb thinking it was the answer.I lost 6 lbs doing low carb but the cravings were too much for me to handle. I tried for 3 weeks and then realized it was not something I could do long-term. So here I am starting WW this morning. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Koshka- Why do shorter people have a harder time losing I never heard that before?
  • Shorter people generally weigh less and are just smaller. The smaller you are the less calories your burn. A person who is 30 BMI and is 5'4" tall weighs less than someone who is 30 BMI and is 5'10".